Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

copen
Feb 2, 2003
Passed my Technician and General exam today. Due to the government shutdown it could be "awhile" before I get my callsign though :(

Got a Yaesu ft-60r in the mail this week but can't really hear anybody in my somewhat remote location from Denver. Will probably work on getting on HF sooner rather than later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

copen
Feb 2, 2003
Awesome! good to hear. I will definitely hit you up when I get my callsign. Probably work on learning CW in the meantime because it seems like fun. I have the alphabet down but not automatic enough to where I can copy messages coming quickly.

copen
Feb 2, 2003

Pebble and the Penguin posted:

I'm a high school teacher and brought my gear to work to occupy myself before an open house earlier in the week. Apparently one of my kiddos has a tech license and wants to work toward his general now 'cause of me. :3:

Aww that’s awesome!

I went to Ham Radio Outlet today and may have bought a radio. Hopefully I didn’t do too bad. A kenwood ts-590s for 700. Looks like I could get my money back pretty easy if it doesn’t work out.

copen fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jan 16, 2019

copen
Feb 2, 2003
Finally messing around with radio's again after getting my general ticket early this year and then getting busy with life. Ordered an antenna and mount to try and get mobile in the Raptor for off roading. Still waffling about whether I should get a fancy dual bander or just a no frills 2m for the task.

Also I need to get my HF antenna up before the weather turns again. I bought a Comet CHA-250B quite a while back and it is still in the box. It is a compromise antenna for sure but I got it before I really knew anything. Should I even bother setting it up or try for some sort of dipole?

Denver hams, what some good repeaters/nets to check out? I programmed a handful in my ft-60r but activity seems to be slim to none.

Since there are plenty of ways to Dox me here already my call sign is KE0UBP

copen
Feb 2, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

*wave* denver crew here. 145.145 is the big ragchew repeater here; 145.310 is also very popular.

You can goof with the cha-250 but something tells me you'll be stringing a wire up a couple weeks later.

Those two do seem a bit more active!

Installed a mobile Kenwood TM-V71a and talked to someone briefly on the 310 repeater to make sure all is good and well.

Also strung up a 10m dipole on the side of my house just to mess with HF a bit. Of Course 10m is the only band I haven't heard any activity on since I put it up. Messing around with FT8 and WSPR is pretty neat 20m and 40m are pretty packed. Of course I can only transmit on 10m which is dead so no contacts yet.

copen
Feb 2, 2003
Oh poo poo, I'll be there. Just uh look for the tallest guy beard and a ball cap.

copen
Feb 2, 2003

Motronic posted:

Do you have stairs in your house?

I'm protected

copen
Feb 2, 2003
Sorry I'll stop making GBS threads up this thread after this. Just stoked about playing radio

Strung up a temporary (until the wife makes me take it down) 20m dipole so I could do something besides listen. old 10m is against the house, new one is strung from the tree to the house.

Setup wspr and was able to be heard a few places across the US on 5w

Got on FT8 and made my first contact with a guy in Arkansas, Thanks AG5HC! Feels a little empty on FT8 but its a mode I cant screw up too much on right now.

Second contact was made to Brazil on 5w!

copen
Feb 2, 2003

Sniep posted:

was it Willem AC0KQ ? say hi for me lol

i used to run traffic nets on the linked system off the .310 box before the entire lack of actual content disheartened me and i stopped

haha no I don't think it was him i'll listen for him though. Most VHF traffic seems pretty low content at the moment but that's alright.

Small ham fest haul. Was tempted by a few radios but I don't have space for them at the moment.

Halicrafters Sky Ranger Shortwave radio from 1942. It works apparently but i'm happy just to have it on my shelf

Picked up a manual Antenna tuner as well so I can tune just about anything if needed. Current state of the shack. Meant to pick up another power supply but forgot oh well.

Also Johnny, here is that Paddle I was talking about.

copen fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Aug 18, 2019

copen
Feb 2, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

Defcon 23 records

:hellyeah:

copen
Feb 2, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

helllll yes

thread content: I decided to try my hand at radio alignment and with a loaner SDG2042x signal generator and my scope and DMM, I lined that 735 up as close as my old eyes could. It's now within a few tens of hertz on freq (there's this ONE TINY master PLL trimmer and i fiddled forever to get it dead on), aligned the passband tuning and RIT, set the power output low/high limits, set the AM carrier, S-meter calibration, yadda yadda. That generator has a very nice freq counter too which helped me line up all the local oscillator frequencies (it's a triple conversion rig).

The generator only went down to 2 mV peak to peak and i needed a 50 uV zero to peak signal to calibrate the s9 signal level, so I built a divider with a 47 ohm and 1 ohm resistor to knock 5 mV down to 100 uV, halve that for zero to peak, worked great.

Awesome! I only understand half of what you said but glad it's not a paper weight :)

copen
Feb 2, 2003
Some neat short videos produced by the boards of canada in 1959 about antennas. Pretty entertaining and I learned stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-F7KYLO4Bkg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=md7GjQQ2YA0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iV_YICgifA

copen
Feb 2, 2003

eddiewalker posted:

I didn’t realize that band had been around so long.

It is what they named themselves after. Also most of their music uses sound clips from said videos.

Also I think I need a new Antenna

copen
Feb 2, 2003
Cool radio, I fondled it at the fest :gay: any plans for an antenna?

I still need to get some sort of VHF/UHF rig in the house. Right now i'm looking at ic-706mkiig's since it will be useful even if I get a ic-9700 or something cool down the road. I'm looking into building a tripod mounted satellite tracker for the next project. Besides getting my station from trash to decent level (Johnny gonna help me with that I hope)

copen
Feb 2, 2003

COOL CORN posted:

I have one! It's hard to see in the photo, but I have a 40m hamstick mounted on my balcony. So far I've been receiving CW and phone signals from up to a few states away which isn't half bad!

Those look pretty neat, I might grab one for a portable/camping kit. I'm also now on 40m's and all the other bands, although not very well. Put up the CHA-250b, its pretty conspicuous. I'm sure the neighbors hate it. Nice living in a place with no HOA though.

It's also coming down soon, It's not quite a safe distance away from a couple of electrical supplies to the neighbor's and our house. I think I'll put a Diamond X300A on the mast and also use it as a tie off for a long wire type deal to the tree in the back.

If anyone wants to try some 40m SSB tonight or tomorrow let me know :)

copen
Feb 2, 2003
Any Colorado goons doing anything for field day? I've been nerding out at the idea of solar powered field operations. Thinking of doing something like this.

https://www.bioennopower.com/products/12v-20ah-lfp-battery-pvc-blf-1220a
https://www.buddipole.com/powermini.html
+ Decent solar panel

Or possible building my own 50ah LiFePO4 battery cell + box

I was looking at those Anytone 878's a couple weeks ago. They look pretty awesome for the price. Love my ft-60 to bits, but if goon DMR happens I may have to do it.

copen
Feb 2, 2003
https://www.gigaparts.com/alinco-dj-md5tgp-dual-band-dmr-ht-w-gps.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI66Pv_aSC6gIVENbACh0ckwWeEAYYASABEgJDS_D_BwE

Anybody know anything about these? Quite a bit smaller than the Anytone's and cheaper. If no one has anything bad to say I may give one a hoon.

copen
Feb 2, 2003

Sniep posted:

Just get a XPR7550 you know you want to...

Oh man that thing is awesome. I’ve been cruising eBay for mototrbo stuff but getting the programming software is a problem.

copen
Feb 2, 2003
I may have fallen down the Mototrbo rabbit hole.

Now I want a bank charger on my shelf filled up with them :3:. To what end I have no idea. The radio bux would be much better served fixing my HF station. Send help

edit: also got a Diamond SRH77CA in the mail today for my ft-60. Should have done this awhile ago it works a lot better

copen fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jun 16, 2020

copen
Feb 2, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

why this isn't going to help you at ALLLLLL paging sniep, paging sniep

lol this is already his fault

copen
Feb 2, 2003

Sniep posted:

Hmmm

Hmmmmmmmmm

Like this?

god dammit

I like your radios.

copen
Feb 2, 2003

Sniep posted:

took me about 6 months of trawling ebay and craigslist to find the radios for under a hundo a pop, a couple were really beaten up so i did repair work to most of them if not just cleaning, have a whole tub of replacement cases and parts at this point.

Decided it was cool to have a couple be red cased in case of emergency / different set of freqs than the black cased.. Got the gang charger off craigs in a box of dead batteries and another radio in bad shape for like $50.. in the end the whole setup turned out really rad if not directly having a function quite yet..

The red ones are my favorite :3: and that's an awesome deal for the lot. I'm going to have to keep cruising.

Walrusmaster posted:

Got my Technician License on Sunday, bought a radio, and it's already shipped :woop:

Looking forward, when I go for the general and want to play with HF, is there much of a disadvantage to putting the antenna in the attic? The roof is tile. Would it attenuate signals much at those frequencies?

There are objections to putting things on top of the roof :(

Congrats! You can always look into doing a quick deploy antenna like the MFJ Big stick or Super Antenna. Then pack it away when not in use.

I am looking at going for one of these as I want the ability to take it camping when I go alone.

copen
Feb 2, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

i have the Big Stick

Sold!

copen
Feb 2, 2003

Sniep posted:

so that box i got off craigs might have another of those gang chargers btw. I'd let it go, it's filthy af probably needs a light touch of refurbishing but it's the same model as in my pic, just was aged. I can test it before i ship, might just be cosmetic. Maybe $50 plus shipping if you want it and I'll list what modules are in it too since they are replaceable - i just gotta hit my storage unit

e: attn mods if i broke a rule please don't hold me accountable

I will buy it for sure. I am Denver too so I can probably just meet you somewhere. I am already 2/3's of the way to filling one up :sigh:

copen
Feb 2, 2003

Macintosh HD posted:

What call would that be

EDIT: Looks like N0GOD is available

lmao, i'm zero land. That is tempting

johnnyonetime posted:

Denver Motorola Goons?!

:hfive:

Jonny 290 posted:

i mean i've got a GM300, technically i'm in the club lmao

Gonna have to start having official meetings lol

copen
Feb 2, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

i had a theory that maybe somebody at the FCC has to manually flip through to shitcan offensive vanity applications, but W1KKK was just granted recently. Oof.

Wow that is upsetting enough I started doxxing the guy

copen
Feb 2, 2003

:iia:

copen
Feb 2, 2003

Casual Encountess posted:

also am i going to have to lug a marine battery to do anything fun mobile?

Kind of depends on what kind of fun and how much power you are using. LiFePO4 battery packs are pretty lightweight and don't have to deal with leaking. They are expensive to buy in large sizes though. Then there is the option of running a solar panel for additional radio time.

copen
Feb 2, 2003

Casual Encountess posted:

do y'all have a discord or something yet?

so like my insane person plan for next year is I want to build a double or triple decker bike that I can mount an antenna to and go do rides to do dumb poo poo on top of hills because that sounds like an extraordinary amount of fun+fuckery. im assuming that as long as i don't go out in a thunderstorm i shouldn't die anymore than i would riding a reguar triple tall bike

edit: heres a photo of the kind of bike for my insane idea

I approve of this message :allears:

copen
Feb 2, 2003

It has begun :sun:

copen
Feb 2, 2003

Sniep posted:

Ok just FYI none of those will fit the charger I brought up - it's slotted for the following models:

CP150, CP200, CP200-XLS, CP200D, DEP 450, EP450, EP450S, PR400

I have mine filled with CP200d's

thus you'll need to source replacement seats for the 6550s and the analog looking one

Yeah they won't work. I don't think I can get seats for these 6000 series for that charger. But I can always get another bank charger lol. The analog lookin one is the 6350 which is just a 6550 with no screen. But I will probably buy a couple CP200d's as well :stare:

I made a discord since I don't think we have one. Anyone is welcome to join, may be a fun hangout and place to figure out DMR and or DStar GoonNet.

https://discord.gg/ED67er

copen
Feb 2, 2003

The Hambulance posted:

Those tall bikes are pretty bad rear end. Sadly, I'm old, and this is more my speed :v:

https://imgur.com/a/Y0Ks2cu

From this guy's ham page (Hello 1990s!) https://sites.google.com/site/w3ffhomepage/

lol the trailer amp is a nice touch

copen
Feb 2, 2003
I built a 6m antenna this weekend using these plans http://www.pa3hcm.nl/?p=312

Construction

Set it up against my garden bed using a Chain Link fence top rail I had. This is just temporary to test and tune it. I will be mounting it to the mast in the background at some point.

Testing this close to all this galvanized fence wire may not have been the best move.

SWR Readings. around 1swr at 50.490MHz. I want to mostly use this for now on digital modes. So the bottom portion of the band is what I am most concerned with.

Hopefully get to hook it up to the radio soon and try it out. Was a fun project though!

copen fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jun 21, 2020

copen
Feb 2, 2003
Here is a new link for Discord that doesn't expire, If you are reading this in the future.

https://discord.gg/R46wYGB

Please join us, has been a pretty active chat and fun. Lurkers welcome

copen
Feb 2, 2003
Well, after wanting one of these from the first time I saw it. Finally got my hands on one.

copen
Feb 2, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

I let my preorder expire for the 705 cause covid hit. Thinking about circling back but I need to justify it by actually getting out and camping with some of the 7,281 radios i already own

lol fair enough. I partially justified it for use as home station VHF/UHF but may end up putting my ft-891 on the chopping block. But come to field day with us!

copen
Feb 2, 2003

cruft posted:

So I made this Internet-based morse code repeater and I'd love to get the feedback of any goons who have opinions.

https://vail.woozle.org/

It's supposed to work like a radio works: there's no indication of who's listening, whether anybody at all is connected, no fancy stuff to display the letters being sent. It's just a $7 altoids-tin CW transciever, except on the Internet and you can use your phone.

I can't copy morse code for the life of me, and it took me a full year to understand what this helpful Italian guy was trying to explain about how the Iambic input was messed up, so I really depend on the input of people who understand how things are actually supposed to work.

Awesome man, that's really cool. I'm also on a big learning CW kick right now so I will keep this around. The iambic paddles work as expected, I sent a bunch of really janky code trying to get used to doing it with a mouse.

copen
Feb 2, 2003
Couple pics from my portable outing a couple of weekends ago. Overlanding is another hobby of mine and having a radio around provides some good entertainment especially when I am alone.

Pic of the power distribution, there is a 100AH battery under the shelf hooked up to a charger to get power from the alternator while driving. Also a 200w solar panel on the roof rack to power the fridge while stopped.

A couple of anderson powerpole 20amp circuits to run radios and other accessories.

Want to do a few POTA activations this summer and hopefully some SOTA from a backpack with my new QRP radio

copen
Feb 2, 2003

thehustler posted:

It’s great because it works on an iOS Safari without zooming in or thinking I’m selecting text when I send dit dit. Instant 10/10.

Iambic keyer works great too

Edit: nobody home though...

I hear you, can't quite copy after cq cq cq though :( still learning. But it seems to work!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

copen
Feb 2, 2003

thehustler posted:

Is that W0WFT calling me on the thing? That's basically all I know, I need to do some learning myself first, but this is so rad.

W0TDF, pretty poor sending on my part though so good job hah. I really want to get the arduino controller to hook up my paddles now.