Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lay-Z
Mar 5, 2003

Goin' down to Tickfaw, gonna have myself a time...
You can also make a real difference in the community for non emergency communications. I volunteered to relay communications for a bike marathon benefit for MS when I was in high school.

You can also get in with MARS and relay messages from troops down range to their families at home. My father does some of this stuff for Navy MARS.

I haven't been on the airwaves in a while nor do I have any equipment. I had a 2 meter handy-talkie but gave it to my dad when his 2 meter rig burned out. My old man has been trying to get me to upgrade since the morse code requirements have been repealed.

Funny thing about 802.11 and amatuer radio. One of the guys in the amatuer radio club my dad and I was a member of was a professer at a local university. I came up with the theory of being able to browse the web wirelessly. I used to be pretty active on packet radio on 2 meters and thought it would be cool to take it a step further from text. He told me it probably could never happen given bandwidth and this was in 1996. Only if I could have taken that thought and put it into something. Ah well, hindsight is always 20/20.

Lay-Z fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Apr 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU