Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FuzzyBuddha
Dec 7, 2003

WL7NT in Fairbanks, Alaska, checkin' in.

I'll second (or third...whatever...) Yaesu suggestions. I use the following:

It's built like a tank, and great for mobile. Throw in a battery pack and a cheap dipole, and chat around the world on 5 watts of power. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzyBuddha
Dec 7, 2003

McRib Sandwich posted:

:sigh: I really, really wanted to get the 897 as my HF rig, but the drat thing is too big to operate inside a vehicle, and it's counterpart (the 857) just seemed to small / hard to operate mobile... not enough controls directly accessible. I love how versatile the 897 is, though. Definitely feels like a rig that will take some abuse and still keep on ticking 25 years later.

Yeah, I don't have it mounted in my car, 'cause it is rather on the large side. I usually haul it into my tent and either run it off the battery, or hook it to my car's battery if my tent is close enough. 10 feet of PVC pipe and some rope gets the antenna off the ground.

FuzzyBuddha
Dec 7, 2003

Sirotan posted:

Why is it that, besides being blind or gay/bisexual, people with amateur radio licenses can nab a ridiculous amount of college scholarships?

And another thing, for some reason in my state (Michigan) along with getting a special license plate to denote if you were a veteran of a past war or a POW, you can get a special plate that says amateur radio on it.

In regards to scholarships, having attained an amateur radio license tends to show you have an understanding of electronics and the math related to it. A lot of the engineering students at our local campus tend to have ham radio licenses.

As for the ham radio callsign license plates, our state DMV allow them as special plates to signify vehicles equiped with amateur radios and thus available to assist in an emergency situation.

FuzzyBuddha
Dec 7, 2003

Dunno if anyone's interested, but I figured I'd plug my Yaesu FT-897D programming blog. It's in need of an update, but I'm hoping to have one this weekend. Any ideas, or things people might like to see in a computer control for a radio, are certainly welcome.

FuzzyBuddha
Dec 7, 2003

nmfree posted:

I understand that if I send the appropriate command I'll get a return code from the radio from 00h to FFh that is the temperature on a non-calibrated scale. But what am I supposed to do with the +7? :eng99:
Just looked at the manual for that radio, and that does seem pretty vague. I'm guessing that when you issue that command, the radio is going to return 9 bits of data, and then you have to figure out what the eighth one corresponds to. (Eighth 'cause it's numbered 0-8, so the +7 is actually the eighth bit o' data.)

For example, it might return:
30h FFh FFh 50h 20h 00h 60h 50h 22h

Which would correspond to:
0 - Microphone switch 1: PTT
1 - Forward Power: FFh
2 - Reverse Power: FFh
3 - S-Meter level: 50h
4 - MIC level: 20h
5 - Squelch level: 00h
6 - Microphone switch 2: P1
7 - Final Temp: 50h
8 - ALC level: 22h

The program would have to grab that 8th bit of data and figure out the temp from the hex code.

FuzzyBuddha
Dec 7, 2003

McRib Sandwich posted:

Wheee... I'm on 147.090 now, listening to some other old guy talk slower than I can tap out Morse (mind you I barely passed 5 WPM for my General). Talking about old transatlantic cables, and now magazines and airmail. :wtc: I couldn't make this stuff up if I tried.

Heh, at least you get conversations. About the only time I hear any activity on 2 meters around here is when we've had an earthquake. Then it goes crazy for an hour until the Ham that works at the geophysical institute gets on to let everyone know how big it was. Then it goes silent again. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzyBuddha
Dec 7, 2003

Quick question - I need to renew my license, but I'm in the US and the FCC is essentially shut down. What happens if it doesn't reopen before the expiration? My license expires next week. :(

Edit - S'pose I should have checked the ARRL website before posting. :)

quote:

Radio amateurs whose licenses expire between October 1 and the day after normal FCC operations resume may continue to operate until then, even if they have not yet filed a renewal application. Pending an official FCC announcement that states otherwise, applicants should apply for renewal no later than one day after the FCC reopens, if they want to continue to operate.

http://www.arrl.org/news/the-fcc-shutdown-at-a-glance

FuzzyBuddha fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Oct 10, 2013