Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snapshot
Oct 22, 2004

damnit Matt get in the boat
VE3MWB checking in, transmitting from Toronto, ON. We're able to get amateur radio license plates up here too. I have an old 2m/70cm mobile that I'm using as a base, and a 2m Yaesu VX-170 th that I use when I'm out and about.

McRib Sandwich posted:

Fine. Where do I actually TAKE this test?

(sorry Canada, no idea why you're not on the list).

No idea why we aren't on there either, however Industry Canada provides a list of volunteer amateur radio examiners to RAC, Canada's National Amateur Radio Society. It can be accessed in excel format on the RAC website.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snapshot
Oct 22, 2004

nmfree posted:

KC9GJC here, ready to pontificate in TWO threads! ;)

At the end of the last ham thread there was a little interest in setting up a weekly Echolink net for SA people, would there still be interest in that?

I'm game, as I don't have access to a HF rig at the moment. What's the protocol for operating on Echolink? Same as a repeater?

Also, does anyone else use the VE3TWR repeater?

Snapshot
Oct 22, 2004

blugu64 posted:

That would work for me, though I'm not sure if there is a decent echolink client for linux.
I've been experimenting, after getting validated last week. I've found that wine will run the echolink app just fine under Kubuntu Gutsy with the winehq package. One problem for me though, it refuses to capture from my mic. If you've got a working mic setup, then give that a try.

There's SvxLink's Qtel client. It's packaged in rpm's so you have to do a little work to get it running under a debian based system, but alien and a little patience works fine. I've sent and received sound using the test facilities on echolink, and it works. It's not as feature rich as the echolink client.

Also, there is echolinux, but I haven't experimented with it yet.

nmfree posted:

Also, what does everyone think about maybe doing an Echolink get together on Tuesdays around 0100 UTC? (It would have to start next week since I'll be out of town tomorrow, or someone else could take charge and run it themself.) What about some other time? (I know that's pretty late for Euros.)
As for the echolink net, 0100 UTC on Wednesday (2100 EDT, Tuesday, if I have my math straight) is fine by me.

Snapshot
Oct 22, 2004

blugu64 posted:

I installed the wine package on xubuntu, and played with alsamixer until I got my audio settings right and looks like I'm good to go.

Glad to hear it. I'll try to be around tonight at 2100 EDT (0100Z) on echolink. Is the net going to run this week? I'd rather not set it up, since I have NO experience on echolink, and no experience as a net controller, yet. If so, let me know where and when, if not, look me up. I don't know my node number, but my call is VE3MWB.

Snapshot
Oct 22, 2004

blugu64 posted:

I'm pretty much in the same boat, I think there was talk of running it sometime in the coming week or two. It'd probably be best to let someone with experience running net control, run net control.

Ok. I'm going to fiddle and see if I can get alsa/kde/wine/echolink working. If not, I'll reboot, and be on at 0100Z for contacts.

Snapshot
Oct 22, 2004

TetsuoTW posted:

I'd especially like to know if there's anything to watch out for as far as getting in on IRLP or Echolink or anything like that, since I don't hold out much hope for significant English-language conversation with local hams.

Well, on the technical side of things, you need to be authenticated to be on Echolink. It take a couple of minutes to do the verification if you have your documentation and a digital camera handy. The people who run echolink will need a day or two to turn it around. You may also need to get an EchoLink Proxy server, if you are behind a firewall at wherever you're staying. I have no clue what the operating restrictions for your station might be there though.

Snapshot
Oct 22, 2004

sklnd posted:

We've (myself and blugu64) returned from Ham-Com. I tossed some pictures up on my hosting.

The new radio. Hot.
Also: power <----> beer

What's the name of that connector by the manual, the one that's a red plug into a white one? I need a few of those, and I've been having a hell of a time finding them.

Snapshot
Oct 22, 2004

nmfree posted:

I think this is what you're looking for.

That's it, thanks. Now for a trip to the electronics supply store around here to see if they stock 'em.

Oh, did the EchoLink net ever get off the ground?

Snapshot
Oct 22, 2004

kaizier posted:

just got my call a few weeks ago KD8NWI, can anyone recommend a good affordable 2 Meter mobile unit for my jeep?
How are you going to mount the antenna? I'm in the market for a Wrangler, and I want a soft top, so good mounting points on the roof aren't there, and I can't mount to the roll cage without issues with the top, as far as I know. Any Suggestions?

Snapshot
Oct 22, 2004

Wasn't able to check in, sorry. Out with friends, area was too noisy.

Snapshot
Oct 22, 2004

BigHustle posted:

I plan to attend the local SKYWARN training held by the NWS and local police department this weekend. Aside from getting pictures of 450 lb guys showing up in tactical combat gear with 5 HTs strapped to their belts, I'll also get their weather reference CD.

If anyone would be interested in a copy, I might be able to burn copies or throw up a torrent.

Any other St. Louis, MO area HamGoons going?

I'm probably doing CANWARN up here with my local ARES group. It would be interesting to see those materials, thanks.

Snapshot
Oct 22, 2004

BigHustle posted:

PROTIP: Expect some backlash from your local OFs if you call one of the 'elected club officials' a lid and an EMCOMMunist over the air.

Please explain. That sounds too good to leave it that short.

Snapshot
Oct 22, 2004

BigHustle posted:

I'll only accept this ELECTED CLUB OFFICIAL position if my title can me EMCOMMandant.

I'd suggest EMCOMMissar. Line the lids and whackers up against the wall and have them shot.

Snapshot
Oct 22, 2004

mwdan, sent you a PM with my G+ info. Add me, please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snapshot
Oct 22, 2004

poeticoddity posted:

This was the first overview of amateur radio I could find on YouTube that was under 5 minutes (if you skip the VPN promo at the end) and was produced by someone whose entire channel wasn't focused on amateur radio.

https://wp.rac.ca/ This looks like the Canadian analog to the American Radio Relay League (AARL), which is an organization that heads up most lobbying related efforts in the US and also produces some of the most commonly used study/learning materials for amateur radio licensing. I don't know if RAC produces any study materials, but they've got a staff of 2, so I'd imagine they're just fine getting directly e-mailed about recommended guide books and whatnot.

https://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/025.nsf/eng/h_00006.html This appears to be a FAQ about amateur radio licensing in Canada, but I know very little about Canadian amateur radio laws so there may be somewhere else where the technical details are stored.

RAC is the Canadian equivalent to the ARRL; there’s their how to start link at the top of their page. They also have lists of the radio groups for each area, if you want to go meet greybeards in person. They do have study books for sale on their site, which are Canada specific. Basic and advanced qualifications can access the same spectrum, advanced has increased allowed transmission power, the ability to run remote equipment, and the ability to build your own radio.

The Industry Canada website has the actual exam generators on the site in the menu on the left, and has the list of accredited examiners that you can go to for your exams. You’ll deal with IC for licensing, etc - they regulate ham radio in Canada. Look at the RICs and the RBRs for regulatory information.