Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turkish Hijinks
Feb 4, 2007

carefree antics or horseplay
Directed by: Jon Avnet
Starring: Al Pacino, Benjamin McKenzie, Alicia Witt, Leelee Sobieski

Summary: Al Pacino is Dr. Jack Gramm, a professor of forensic psychology who also works as an expert witness for the FBI. He works on a high profile serial killer's case and his testimony puts the guy behind bars. 7 years after this whole incident he gets an anonymous cell phone call where he's told that he has 88 minutes to live.

Review: Al Pacino has been in some pretty lovely movies, but this one takes the cake. I didn't even want see this movie (I checked out Rotten Tomatoes before hand... this was at a well-deserved 5%), but my grandmother is a huge Al Pacino fan and wanted to see this... so I decided take one for family. I'm glad I had some friends come along; otherwise I would have told them about how bad this movie was and non of them would have believed me.

The script is absolutely terrible... whoever wrote it tried to make it intricate and twisted, but it ended up being incredibly lovely. The characters are too cliche, nothing in their backgrounds is relevant to the story... the dialog is extremely cheesy and the acting is just pure rear end (Alicia Witt and Leelee Sobieski are really horrible). To top it all off the casting is ridiculous (Benjamin McKenzie's character was absolutely unnecessary, and the person cast to play the dean of the department looked younger than some students... plus she was way too hot to be a dean, people long enough in academia to be a dean don't age that well).

Before the movie started we were walking around in the vicinity of the cinema (it's in an open air shopping complex) and I stepped in some dog poo. Even though I cleaned my shoe, every once in a while I would get a whiff of it during the movie. I thought it was very fitting... it was almost like a futuristic cinematic experience where you not only get to see and hear the movie, you get to smell what's going on as well.

RATING: 1

PROS: You get to see some boobs, Alicia Witt is really hot.
CONS: $18 and 2 hours of your life that you'll never get back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PsychoGoatee
Feb 23, 2005

by Fistgrrl
I have to say, I found 88 Minutes pretty entertaining. Unintentionally hilarious, yes, but that only adds to the entertainment. Just Al Pacino looking stoned or drunk or whatever, and old, and amazingly epic.

If you enjoy Al Pacino, or enjoy unintentional hilarity, check this one out. It's a thriller with every cliche thrown in, and nonstop problems for our hero Al Pacino. Sure, it doesn't make any sense, it doesn't hold up to scrutiny, but at least it's entertaining. And it puts a smile on my face.

Oh, and every time the villain says "Tick tock, doc." on the phone in the menacing garbled low voice, it gets a good laugh from you.

4 stars.

PsychoGoatee fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Apr 21, 2008

LastCaress
May 8, 2004

bonobo
I guess this is what happens when you mix a whodunit with an action thriller. While in a whodunit you have time for character development and you actually care about people's motivations, in this movie there's a never ending introduction of new people just to confuse you and the complexity of the plot is artificial : the whole movie is just a series of people doing suspicious things that make you think "hmm, he might be the one behind all this". And the obvious result is that you're entertained for the bigger part of the movie because you're thinking about discovering the guilty part, but in the end you'll always be disappointed because whoever did it will never make sense and you'll never care since there was no character development. 2.5/5

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

It was ok... pretty generic serial killer movie with nothing special. I wasn't expecting anything when I rented it and I didn't get anything I didn't expect. Glad we rented it rather than blowing 20 bucks at a theater, but I don't regret seeing it.

Something made me laugh right near the beginning though (spoils the ending, if you care...)
The scene shows his class of university students, and beside almost all of them is a shiny white macbook with apple logo gleaming in the dimness.
The scene then cuts to a close-up of one of the main students. Displayed prominently beside her face... the Dell logo.
"She's the only one not using a Mac. Well, now we know who the killer is." I say, jokingly.

... that's the "big twist" in the end. She's the killer.

I don't know why I found that so amusing...

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.
Flixter:

Although a lot of negative things can, will and have been said about 88 Minutes, let's for one minute focus on the positive: Al Pacino can't do any worse.

What we have here is a ludicrous plot handled ludicrously, with plot developments like a framed man's semen being extracted from one corpse's vagina and injected into the vagina of another and lines like "it took him 88 minutes to hack my sister to bits". A more unintentionally hilarious movie you're not likely to find this year.

88 Minutes is a Large Hadron Collider of awful and possibly the year's worst movie. Avoid like the penis plague.

1/5