Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

SexyBlindfold posted:

Y'know, as a Chilean I've always been curious: What's so great about Chile for you first-world tourists anyway?

I was in Puerto Montt, Osorno, and Pucon in March and I loved every minute of it. As a whole, I thought the people in Chile were exceptionally nice, welcoming and personable. I always felt safe and the country is BEAUTIFUL. It's such a dramatic change from the US that I was just fascinated with it. I've been a lot of places and Chile is right up there on my list of favorites.

I spent the most time in Pucon and did some whitewater rafting, laying on the volcanic sand beach, and climbed Volcan Villarica, which was one of the most amazing things I've done in my life. Pucon itself was a great, laid back, easy going little town that reminded me a lot of Lake Tahoe, but without all of the uppity rich people.

Also, the food is outstanding!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

I'm heading to Peru two weeks from today (September 10th). We're heading to Mancura for a little while, but then will be in Lima for about a week. I'll be with locals, but does anyone have any other suggestions for things to do?

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

Yeah, I know, but I'm going there with my roommate who happens to be from Peru originally.

AbsoluteZero, I'd be down for a beer. Hit me up.

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

What's up South America thread? The girlfriend and I are getting headed down to Buenos Aires from November 1 - 29. We both work remotely so we'll be working during the week but are starting to plan some weekend trips / activities. One thing I'm having a hard time finding is a decent list of festivals/concerts/events going on in BA. Anyone have a good site for that kind of thing or have any recommendations? We're staying in an AirBnB place in Palermo if that makes any difference.

Thanks!

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

Saladman posted:

I spent about 9 days there last year, so I'm not an expert, but a few recommendations:

(1) Colonia del Sacramento is super boring and there's nothing to do there except pet the stray dogs. If you have to go to Uruguay. instead take a weekend and go to Montevideo.
(2) Tigre is really unusual, do one of those boat tours through the estuary.
(3) If you like steaks, go to Don Julio. Recommended to us by Portenos and loved it. It was dirt cheap last year at the parallel exchange rate (US$1 = AR$15), no idea if this will have changed now that the real exchange rate is the old black market one, but it was like $12 for a super good 300g steak.
(4) Go to the Sunday San Telmo market at least once.

The rest of my time was all spent in BA itself — tons to do!

This is great, thanks a bunch!

e: searched

SixPabst fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Oct 5, 2016

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

If you can read Spanish then the city's event guide is pretty good. It's only for the actual city and not the metro area.

http://disfrutemosba.buenosaires.gob.ar

Also remember that Argentina is constantly having union strikes and protests from various different entities. Cutting traffic on major roads ("piquetes") is basically a way of life here, to the point where traffic reports include them along accidents and roadwork. Leave early just in case.

Aerolíneas Argentinas has gotten better about strikes, but the past month or so pilots have been pushing for better salaries so it's still a risk. If you can choose, LAN/LATAM is usually a safer choice.

Uber works down here. Drivers might ask you to sit up front due to a fear of cabbie retaliation (honestly more of a myth than anything else). There's other apps that work with official taxis, but most of them won't take credit card.

Remember that public transportation requires a SUBE card which you have to buy at different spots in the city but, annoyingly, you can't buy at subway stations even though you can charge them there.

Sweet, thanks man. We got things mostly figured out. Luckily the guy who rented us our AirBnB gave us a SUBE card with like $60 pesos on it and recharging at the subway station was easy enough.

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

I've been in Rio for the last week and a half and I highly recommend it. Especially now that - as of January 15th - US citizens can apply for an e-visa online for $40 and don't have to do the paperwork / pay $160 like we did. It's been one of the easiest places to travel in SA and I personally think the "danger" aspect is pretty overrated as long as you're not walking around looking like travel dad and staring at your iPhone. People are real chill.

Spending another week here and then headed to Manaus for a week, then Florianopolis for 10 days if anyone has any suggestions.

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

Medellin is super safe my friend. Treat it like any big city that has a lot of tourists and you'll be fine. I'd guess your iPhone or other device is probably more valuable than a big camera. As far as cabs go, I'd highly recommend you use Uber if possible. I know it was mentioned earlier but I was just there for quite a while and used Uber for almost everything EXCEPT getting to the city from the airport. I think it was around $30-50 but I cannot remember. You don't need to deal with exchanging cash, it's far, far cheaper and you don't need to explain where you're going if you don't speak Spanish. Plus there's a record of who picked you up in case you end up missing. If you have to take a cab just ask for the fare before you get in if you want, but they are honest and the meters are fine.

Long story short: Medellin is one of the coolest cities in South America. Bring your common sense and you'll have zero issues.

Also take public transit. It's awesome. You can ride the train through the entire city and then transfer to a ski gondola thing and continue on. Cheap as poo poo and very clean. If you feel like branching out, the local buses are a great experience and the locals are super helpful in knowing where white people usually get off and will alert you and the driver of this. Good times.

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

Gatts posted:

Hello. I'm having a travel agency put together an itinerary for me for Peru. I plan for Amazon and Machu Picchu for 10 days from Sept 8 to Sept 19. I plan to stay at the Tambopata Lodge for a few nights and then take a train to Machu Picchu. Hoping to see animals, help scientists find wildlife or classify, meet some native cultures, and learn. Possibly have an adventure like Indy Jones.

I don't think I have time to get a visa for Brazil and I've heard the Amazon is a bit more pristine or some such. I've also looked at National Geographic's expedition there and am wondering if anyone's taken that or recommends them?

I'm not exactly hard pressed for Machu Picchu so another itinerary I could think of is Amazon + Galapagos. Maybe I should do that.

On January 15th-ish, Brazil changed visa requirements for US citizens. It’s now $40 and you can apply for the e-visa online.

I know this because I went through the full visa process and got to Brazil like 5 days after that changed. However, my visa only took about a week and a half to process so even under the old system you’d have time. Highly recommend Brazil if you can swing it.

You should 1000% go see Machu Pucchu if you’re in Peru, and I guess if budget isn’t a concern then check out the Nat Geo thing but you could easily do everything you want to do on your own for way, way less money. The Amazon is most excellent. I did a 5 day, 4 night trip from Manaus, Brazil and that was plenty of time.

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

I'm pretty sure you apply online and you get a document back within 5 days. Seems very easy. http://www.vfsglobal.com/

Are you a US citizen? How has it taken 2 months previously? We had to use the previous visa process and although it was kind of a pain in the rear end filling out all of the documents, we had our passports back within a week and a half after sending them in.

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

That makes more sense. I’d heard stories about long processing times but didn’t have an issue. Glad they made the process a bit more sane.

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

Yeah I would echo that Colonia is pretty meh. I'd spend more time in Montevideo instead. Definitely rent bikes and ride down La Rambla on the coast. Easily one of my favorite things there. BA is awesome. Spent a month there last November and loved every minute of it. Good call on San Telmo on a Sunday. The market rules. I think you have most of the main attractions covered. If you want the best steak of your life: Don Julio in Palermo.

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Buenos Aires is weird where some areas that are perfectly fine at regular hours are just sketchy as gently caress in the off hours. From what I read this dude wandered off into a side street near the Obelisco during a weekend when there’s no one around which turns you into easy pickings.

Just stick to the crowded places, there are no undiscovered jewels in BA so no benefit in going off the beaten path.

If you do, be mindful of your surroundings and if it comes down to it, and you get mugged, just give them something and they’ll run off.

BA is great, just use common sense and remember that you’re not in a European city, despite all the similarities.

Yeah it's strange. I stayed in Palermo (highly recommend this area for white folk) for a month and had zero issues at all but met some Americans who were staying downtown who both had been mugged in broad daylight.

But yea, hand over your poo poo and call it a day.

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

svenkatesh posted:

I'm going to Barranquilla Colombia for a week for Carnival. What are some good things to check out in the area after the parades end on Tuesday?

Unfortunatley, there's not a whole ton to do in Barranquilla outside of Carnival. If you don't have time to do Santa Marta or Santa Veronica you could always take a bus or Uber a bit north and check out some of the beaches like Playa Puerto Velero or Puerto Mocho Beach. Puerto Colombia has way more to do and would be better to chill at.

Hadlock posted:

I've been to close to 40 countries and have never been asked for proof of forward travel, with the sole exception of China. And actually of the two times I was in Shanghai they only asked for it once. I have the advantage of looking like a typical westerner though.

I've seen a suggestion that you take an old plane ticket confirmation email and modify the dates and flight numbers and print it out. If you speak fluent English this is probably overkill though.

I've only ever been asked in Fiji and New Zealand and that was before boarding the plane to both. In Asia I had an emailed bus ticket that I just changed the dates / places on and kept with me. Nobody ever asked though.

SixPabst fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jan 30, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

Good Parmesan posted:

Montevideo was the poo poo. So laid back and tranquil.

Chilled in a park to watch the sunset around Tres Cruces, met a few girls, drank mate and beer, and some dude sold us weed brownies.

Hell yes. I went there for a long weekend to escape BA and wish I would have stayed a week - 10 days.