Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kidhash
Jan 10, 2007

MC Scrillz posted:

As I understand it, you'll be fine in Chile if you stick to Santiago/the Northern part (obviously you shouldn't go to Concepción) but I could be wrong as I'm not currently there.

I've been in Argentina for the last month, and all the reports I've heard from people who have been in Chile pretty much agree with that. I think there are still issues in Santiago right now with scarcity of some stuff (food, petrol, etc), but things are pretty much back to normal. Going further North is fine. Going further south isn't. That's all second hand info, although I am fairly close.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kidhash
Jan 10, 2007

MC Scrillz posted:

This.

Also, do you realize how much it would cost to go all of these places? If you wanted to take three people on a trip to anywhere you've listed, you might as well just pay for a nice hotel in BsAs and spend less money/not worry about having to be nice.

Just to give you a brief idea:

Hostel in BA/night, with breakfast: 50 pesos
Really nice meal out with wine: 100 pesos/person
Return overnight bus/ferry from BA -> Montevideo: 300 pesos/person + whatever you wanted to do there + food + everything else

Montevideo was the cheapest thing you suggested. A bus to Patagonia (which will be freezing) will be around 600 pesos return and a 20 hours journey each way (to Bariloche, one of the closest big Patagonian towns). So yeah, with just your return bus to Patagonia, you could spend 12 nights in a hostel.

South America is cheaper than home, but BA is the capital of one of the more expensive countries, so it's not dirt cheap. Seconding 'take them out for a meal', or stay in a hostel and don't feel like you're imposing?

kidhash
Jan 10, 2007

Tomato Soup posted:

I'm planning on travelling to Peru and Bolivia from September to December and I'll be travelling solo (23-year old deaf female, should be interesting :v: but I have basic knowledge of written Spanish otherwise I'll just gesture or draw pictures) but I've had experience backpacking before. Any goons in the area then that I could meet up for a beer or something?

I'm still working on my itinerary but I'm going to be flexible and take my own time getting around but reckon 2 months is enough for Peru (both north and south) and Bolivia? I plan on volunteering for a month once I hammer out the details (not sure where yet, but probably Lima).

Other than the normal touristy gringo trail stuff, I'd like to take surfing lessons in Peru somwhere in the north but not sure what's the best place to go to and how much the lessons cost typically. Any suggestions on where to go? :)

I would say you could do Bolivia and Peru in 2 months (we did it in about 7 weeks, but didn't do much in Peru). If you plan to have 2 months, and spend 1`of those months volunteering, then I don't think you'll have enough time.

kidhash
Jan 10, 2007

Tomato Soup posted:

I have 3 months planned, one for volunteering, two for traveling. I probably can do daytrips on the weekends while I'm volunteering so I can see some of the sights in Peru before the two months for travel.

And thanks! :)

If you're looking for a volunteer opportunity, and "8 hours/day with Capuchin monkeys" sounds awesome, then take a look at http://www.sendaverde.com/

It's $120/week, and that includes 3 meals/day and accomodation. You work pretty much 8-6 each day, but 'work' is mainly playing with and feeding monkeys. There are also tortoises, loads of cool birds and stuff, if that's more you're thing. I can't recommend it highly enough.

kidhash
Jan 10, 2007

Moonbloodsflow posted:

I know this is a really generic question but I just want to get an idea what some of you guys are taking or spending on your trips. What can someone expect spend or what is needed to go to South America and backpack around for 2-4 months, excluding flight???

I've been reading through the thread and I have an idea on costs but I just want to get a $$$ amount on what one should expect to feel comfortable. To be able to go and do what you want, but on a budget.

It depends hugely on where you go. I think Colombia/Peru/Ecuador/Argentina can be done broadly on $30/day. Bolivia is cheaper. Chile and Brazil are more expensive. That excludes travel, which varies a lot depending on country. In Ecuador, budget around $1/hour for buses - that's really cheap. In Argentina, buses are really nice, but also really expensive.

It also depends on what you want to do. I drink in the hostels, don't really go to clubs, but eat out quite a bit, and do paid activities (like rafting, bridge jumping, tours etc) occasionally.

If you told us where exactly you want to go, and what kind of stuff you do when backpacking, we might be able to give you a better idea.

kidhash
Jan 10, 2007

Tank44 posted:

Questions

Buses in Argentina are excellent, but because the country is so vast, it takes a very long time to get anywhere. Flights can be on the expensive side, but if you only have 2 weeks, it might be worth it.

I wouldn't bother going to Uruguay - for me at least, it had nothing to offer that I couldn't get in Argentina. Especially if you only have 2 weeks, and want to see some of Chile in that time, I totally wouldn't bother.

kidhash
Jan 10, 2007

navydocquad0 posted:

My trip to Ecuador got changed last minute to a trip to Panama City, Panama. Totally ruined my whole poo poo, I don't even know anything about panama city, can anyone help?

Panama is a lot more developed than Ecuador. Panama City is really modern, lots of highrise buildings, shopping malls, good roads, that kind of thing. Are you just there, or do you have the chance to travel in Panama?

kidhash
Jan 10, 2007

navydocquad0 posted:

I can move around a little bit, I was considering taking the bus all the way up to San Jose in Costa Rica, I'll be completely predisposed with work from the 5th-10th of August.

I didn't really like San Jose as a city - it's a long way, and I would say it totally isn't worth it.

Do you like the beach? Maybe consider a trip to Bocac del Toro, or to the San Blas islands? Both are fairly accessible from Panama (Bocas is an overnight bus) and the San Blas islands are simply incredible.

kidhash
Jan 10, 2007

Tolain posted:

When I went to southeast asia, lodging was incredibly cheap if you bartered it down. I'm curious if south america (peru specifically) is similiar.

In SEA I was able to get by for under $30 most days, is this doable in south america? I've heard $50-70 being thrown around and was wondering if anyone had feedback on this.

You can definitely get by on $30/day in South/Central America (maybe with the exceptions of Brazil/Chile). It's harder in more expensive places like Costa Rica/Argentina, but still possible.

As for $5 moped rentals, absolutely no way - much much more than that :)

kidhash
Jan 10, 2007

a japanese pop icon posted:

On the other hand the entirety of South America has drinkable water so think of it as water tax!!!

I don't get it - is this a joke?

kidhash
Jan 10, 2007

Sort of? South America is slightly more expensive but there is in fact drinkable water in every country in it. Most of southeast asia other than singapore has tap water you should stay far away from.

Oh, that wasn't our experience. We were told we could drink the water in Argentina (everywhere except the North, around Salta), but were told not to drink the water in Bolivia, Peru, Ecuador and most of Colombia...

kidhash
Jan 10, 2007

All of those places (maybe not bolivia) have drinkable water unless you're in the countryside, I'm pretty sure. So do Chile, Brazil, etc. Also uh Salta has drinkable water.

Again though this doesn't apply to the countryside, usually. Also, as a disclaimer, americans/europeans usually have much higher standards for what is "drinkable"

In Salta/the Desert to the North we were told by people in the places we were staying not to drink the tap water. It's a desert, so I think the water needs to be quite heavily treated.

I know in Lima we could drink the water, but in Cusco/Huacachina/Puno we were told not to. In Banos/Quito we were told not to drink the water. In Colombia I think we could in some places, but not others. I think the point I'm making is that "You can drink the water in South America" isn't a very good rule. I'd assume you can't, unless you're explicitly told that you can.

kidhash
Jan 10, 2007

Bagheera posted:

Angry words

Wow. Relax dude. He was making light-hearted conversation.

kidhash
Jan 10, 2007

sacred posted:

I intend to go from Rio to BA then all around South America ending in Mexico to fly home back to England.

At the moment I have just over 4 months planned as the time frame, with only the flight there, flight back and a month at a language course in BA as a top up booked.

I am a capable Spanish speaker having spent a year in Madrid, so I foresee no problems getting around and chatting to people.

My question is how easy is it to bus from place to place with public travel. I hate booking things, I am just going to rock up with a vague notion of when I should be moving on.

Are you planning on skipping lots of countries, or taking a big flight at some point? The entire route is definitely doable by bus, with the exception of the Darian Gap, where you'll have to fly or take a ferry. You don't need to book buses any more than a few days in advance, except maybe around really busy periods/holidays. We spent 7 months going from BA to Guatemala, all by bus, and never booked more than a day or two in advance (in Argentina). Almost everywhere we just rocked up and got on a bus.

Have you given lots of thought to how long you've got vs the number of countries you want to see? You're travelling an absolutely vast distance, and I don't think 4 months is enough to do it all. 4 Months sounds like a good amount of time for doing Buenos Aires -> Bogota, but I definitely don't think it's enough time to do all of Central America as well.

kidhash
Jan 10, 2007

sacred posted:

Edit: Ok now going 134 days! 105 days in South America, so 75 days to get from Rio to Central America

7 months, you must have spent time relaxing in places and doing it properly, just won't have the time or money :(

We were spending an average of about $30/day each, so your budget is plenty. Timewise, you don't have nearly enough time. Maybe look at some guidebooks, figure out what it is you want to do, then choose a few countries to see. Trying to see all of South America in 2 and a bit months is crazy. We did Argentina, Bolivia, Peru, Ecuador and Colombia in 3 and a half months, and we were definitely rushing towards the end, because we had a flight booked to get to Panama.

kidhash
Jan 10, 2007

Hadlock posted:

If you took out the tourist wallet rape of machu picchu and bus fare I would guess $25-35 a day on average for a very comfortable time.

We did a 4-night, 4-day trek/bike to Machu Piccu including all transport, meals, accomodation, entry/park fees, and the train back, for about $220.

kidhash
Jan 10, 2007

billy cuts posted:

I don't understand how you guys can deal with the buses in South America. While they're decent, there are always crashes and it's usually not that much more expensive to fly.

Really? Every time I looked at internal flights (with the exception of Colombia, where Aires has super incredible deals), it was at a minimum, twice the price of taking the bus, and obviously the bus includes meals and a nights accomodation...

kidhash
Jan 10, 2007

FAH Q posted:

Bocas del Toro

You know Bocas is in Panama, right?

kidhash
Jan 10, 2007
If you're happy staying in dorms, you can do almost all of S America on $30-35/day, and still do quite a bit. Budget more for Brazil/Chile, and less for Bolivia/Ecuador

eviljelly posted:

I'm looking to do some budget travel on an open-ended basis. I'm in my very early planning stages, so I apologize for not being very specific, but I often hear how cheap South America is compared to Europe. Like I said, I want to travel on a budget, but I'd be looking for certain amenities which I'd consider "basic" - hot showers, a bed with linen, more-or-less safe/secure rooms (at least a hostel-level security). I'm willing to take buses and trains but would want air conditioning if at all possible.

Approximately what kind of budget should I set for myself, apart from the initial airfare? Again, I know this is very open-ended, and I haven't even said what country(s) I'd want to go to, but I'm just seeing what is possible for me given my budget. Ideally, I'd like to travel on under US$50/day.

kidhash
Jan 10, 2007

jonawesome posted:

1. How easy is it to meet other travellers in these countries, specifically the countries I listed? I don't really know how touristed/travelled south America is, but Is it easy to find/join other travellers to travel with?
2. How easy is it to get by with no spanish speaking abilities? I briefly scoured through the colombia/Bogota couch surfing group, and everything was in spanish, which concerns me.
3. How bad and how open is the 'rip - off' rate for travellers and non-spanish speaking people. If I went to a restaurant would they give me a 2nd menu in english where everything is twice as expensive as the spanish menu?
4. How safe/how common is theft? I always try to trust my gut when travelling and dealing with locals. You know there are nice locals, who seem very sincere and nice locals that don't seem quite genuine, but in my previous travels if a guy didn't seem very sincere, and you went along with him/what he says anyways, the worst that would happened is you'd be swindled for a few extra dollars. However, I would usually only go with a guy/what a guy said if it was my only choice, like in the case of a taxi, and I didn't quite know the route. I'm more concerned with getting kidnapped or seriously robbed. This is probably a loaded question, but I just feel like I need some re-assurance with the whole safety thing.
5. How good is the Canadian exchange out in South America? Is it generally up to date with the global trading rate? In Southeast Asia, I found that even though at the time of travel, the Canadian Dollar was on par with the American dollar (or at least very close), I could never get close to exchanging at the actual market rate. Should I exchange a bunch of dollars to US before travelling, maybe even open up a US dollar account or just stick with Canadian dollars?
6. Are there any low cost flight carriers in South America? I keep reading that the bordering areas around colombia and Ecuador (with all surrounding countries) are pretty dangerous. I just did a quick look for 1-way flights between Colombia-Ecuador-Peru and they seem all seem to be around $300-500, which seems pretty expensive. I'm having some trouble deciding if I should buy round trip into colombia or one way.
7. It seems like the climate can change quite a bit between country and region in South America due to the terrain. Are clothes cheap out there? Can I pick up sweaters/jackets for cheap? I'll be backpacking so I'd like to pack only the necessities and buy any extras if required.

1. Really easy. Just stay in decent hostels (check out hostelworld/tripadvisor before you book), and you'll have no problem finding people. I spent 7 months travelling from BA to Guatemala, and met up with loads of people along the way.

2.It's not too difficult, as long as you stick to the gringo trail. The more out of the way you go the harder you'll find it. Also, it'll be difficult if something bad happens (serious illness/accident/theft), but in general getting by without Spanish isn't too hard. I arrived speaking nothing, but with my fairly fluent girlfriend. I only had real issues when trying to bargain, or when something bad happened (when we got mugged, and when I got pretty ill).

3. You'll pay more as a gringo, but it's not too bad. Just don't go anywhere with a picture/english menu. Learning enough Spanish to read a menu shouldn't take long at all.

4. In general, not too bad. We had 2 issues in 7 months. One was at the Ecuador/Peru border, which is renowned for being really sketchy, and the other was on a hiking trail we'd been told was dangerous. Again, if you stick to the gringo trail, you'll find it a lot easier.

5. Given that CAD is stronger than USD at the moment, I'd stick with CAD. Just find/open a bank account that gives you fee-free withdrawals abroad.

6. The Ecuador/Colombia border was the easier/quickest we encountered in the 12 or so borders we did. The Ecuador/Peru was the worst, but just take an international bus if you're worried.

7. Yes, clothes are cheap. Not western fashions, but just take warm weather clothes and buy layers as and when needed (like in Bolivia, at altitude).

kidhash
Jan 10, 2007
The cost of buses in Argentina are pretty much a function of the distance travelled. I had a quick look on http://www.andesmar.com which is the website for one of the major bus companies, and they have buses leaving at 7.30pm and 8pm, arriving around 10am the next morning. Prices range from $67 to the cheapest seats (semi cama, which are still pretty decent compared to the greyhound) to $80 for lie-flat seats. Definitely spring for the nice seats - it's totally worth it.

There's no point shopping around for bus prices in Argentina as they're all regulated, so will be almost exactly the same at each company. Just pick one you think looks nice!

kidhash
Jan 10, 2007

Miike posted:

I'm talking about a different island than the Galapagos. It's just a small island a boat ride away (you gotta fly to the real islands). I just forgot the name of it and searching for budget or alternative Galapagos doesn't give me much.

Yeah. Try searching for "poor mans galapogos"

kidhash
Jan 10, 2007
In Mendoza, stay in Hostel Lao. Book it right now.
http://www.hostelworld.com/hosteldetails.php/Hostel-Lao/Mendoza/16017?source=googleadwordshostelsbyname&gclid=CPq66_fVia0CFWgEQAodklGomQ

kidhash
Jan 10, 2007

Hot Jam posted:

So I'll be on the Inca Trail in June, we are trying to decide if we will be doing Wayna Picchu while we are at Macchu. Some people in my group are a bit intimidated by the looks of it, but I feel like they wouldn't let 400 people a day up there if it was too dangerous. All of us are experienced hikers. Can anyone who has done this shed some light? Also any other general Peru/Lima/Cusco/Inca Trail advice would be much appreciated.

Don't do Wayna Picchu, do Machu Picchu mountain instead - it doesn't need tickets, it's a much quieter hike, and you end up much higher on the other side of the site, so the views are even better!

kidhash
Jan 10, 2007

shitthedd posted:

Nicaragua, stay in Leon.

Or, Colombia, stay in Medellin.

Nicarague definitely fits the definition of cheap, safe (relatively). If you want to do a few places, also look at Antigua, Lanquin and Lake Atitlan.

kidhash
Jan 10, 2007

Boon posted:

- How does crossing the border of Peru/Ecuador work?

I spent 7 months backpacking in South and Central America, and this border crossing was the only difficult one. We ended up getting mugged in a taxi, and having to pay a "fee" of about $70 each to get out of a fenced compound with a rather dodgy looking security guard. If possible, look at taking an international bus.

kidhash
Jan 10, 2007

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Costa Rica is pretty derided in this thread for the all the development and expats I suppose, is it really a poor destination?

Costa Rica was my least favourite country in Central America. It certainly wasn't 'bad', I just didn't enjoy it as much as any of the other places we visited (Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua and Panama). I found it very 'Americanised', and I didn't really like that. If you think you would like that, it might be a great option for you.

kidhash
Jan 10, 2007

Testikles posted:

Costa Rica, going through Nicaragua, Honduras, Guatemala, Belize and then flying out from Cancun. It sounds lovely saying it out loud but is it feasible to do anything remotely worthwhile in two weeks?

That sounds to me like an awful lot to fit into 2 weeks. I would try and focus on a couple of countries - perhaps Nicaragua and Costa Rica, the latter of which is well set up for Gringo tourists to travel around without any hassle. Once you decide on a couple of countries, then do some research and find where you want to go

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kidhash
Jan 10, 2007

Time Trial posted:

We haven't looked into equador, it doesn't seem to offer the same interesting array of cultural resources or particularly interesting environments that the other countries do

You think this because you haven't looked into it.