Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

My partner and I are traveling to CDMX next week and we’re getting hung up on how to find different music and art events happening then. The usual suspects (FB, Eventbrite, Ticketmaster, etc) seem to be used less there, so I’m just curious what the DF equivalent of those would be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

DdlM in Oaxaca:

Every town in the area does their own thing for the holiday, and each does their major celebration on different days, ones I can personally recommend (all after sunset and into the morning):

Oct 31: Panteón Mitlancihuatl in Xoxocotlan (Xoxo): a very very beautiful and large cemetery south of Centro, I had missed the festivities for that day but went later and was still struck by the scale

Nov 1: Etla, the towns north of Centro throw their big bash on the 1st, with roving brass bands (comparsas) going from town to town. San Augustín Etla is a good place to start, with the plaza at the church hosting food and performances, then follow the comparsas around til you get too tired or drunk (Etla’s cell service gets crushed for anything but maybe texts, so make sure to offline your maps and/or translator dictionary)

Nov 2: Panteon San Filipe Del Agua then Panteon Atzompa. San Filipe is in Reforma, a very bougie area, and I found the graves there to be the most intricate and beautiful. They had a small (and very good) band there, but unlike the other places, closed up shop at 10 or 11. Atzompa has their big celebration that night.

A lot of the time, you’ll be in cemeteries and you will run into people in every stage of mourning, celebration, and/or inebriation. Be very respectful and smart, especially if you speak limited Spanish, and you’ll be fine. People in Oaxaca are super duper friendly, don’t be afraid to say hi to people who aren’t actively mourning and always ask before taking pictures, esp in the cemeteries. A lot of people are in costume and a good costume will get you lots of compliments. Sugar skull face paint is p touristy/for kids; I saw very few Oaxacan adults w it. If you want extra “one of those good tourists” points, you can help relight candles at the graves after an intermittent rain shower.

Uber isn’t a thing in Oaxaca, but the cabs are cheap enough (negotiate before, try not to catch one right next to Zocalo, etc, etc) and buses/colectivos during the day are even cheaper. Colectivos for each region will pick up in specific spots, and they’ll often try to cram 6 people in a sedan. Traffic in and out of the mountain town will get messy, but you can always walk down to the bottom of the line for a cab.

During the day or before or after the 31st-2nd:

hit up Monte Alban (closes at 5, will be absolutely swarmed), Hierve del Agua (gorgeous mineral waterfall, will also be busy and is much further away than the other things here)

For artisan crafts, each village has their own specialty: black/green pottery, alebrijes (colorful carved mythical spirit), rugs, etc. you can look up each of those (esp if you have a car or don’t mind taking a bunch of cabs) or the markets at the intersections of Calle de JP Garcia/Gral. Ignacio Zaragoza and Plazuela del Carmen Alto/Calle Macedonio Alcalá and the Mercado Benito Juarez will have a sampling of everything

A lot of the fancier restaurants in Centro were jam packed for the holiday, definitely go to La Popular and I also liked Itanoni. Get mole and chocolate and tlayudas and huitlacoche and chapulines and any street food that tickles your fancy.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Adding to the CDMX spots:

Frida Khalo's house includes admission to Anhuacalli right down the road, which is very very cool.

The cool library is Biblioteca Vascocelos

Lucha at Arena México and pay the ~$20 to get close

The post office is pretty if you're already by Zocalo

Xochimilco if the weather is nice.

Lots and lots of great mercados selling handmade goods

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

A lot of CDMX closes on regular old Sundays, even. I'd imagine Christmas would be dead as everyone else has mentioned.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I can't remember what black magic I did to get Casa Azúl tix the day before, but it's not outstanding. It does get you free tickets to Anahuacalli down the road, which rocks.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Also make sure to plan for a chill day or two (i.e. not Teotihuacan) to adjust to the altitude if you live at/near sea level.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Mexico City doesn't really "do" Day of the Dead. They have a hybrid DdlM/Halloween parade, which is very fun but not exactly steeped in tradition.

One fun local booze is pulque, e.g.: https://maps.app.goo.gl/GxTXEVdnXix46e3F7?g_st=ic

Anhuacalli is Diego Rivera's tremendously displayed museum of indigenous art.

Rosetta is a great fancy restaurant in Roma Norte.

theflyingexecutive fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Apr 3, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Yeah definitely Uber from the airport because it's so cheap. Bopping around on the metro is really fun (and ridiculously cheap) with the exceptions of:
-recent addition of video ads with sound on some of the lines
-rush hour sardining/long lines
-no AC

Rush hour definitely can be a mess in an Uber if you're on the other side of the city though.