Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

OUR PEOPLE WERE BORN OF THE SKY

Mug posted:

Screenshot Saturday, yeah?

Made it so windows can smoothly resize when they need to, as you can see the window at the top-right do when it overflows.

If you don't put out a finished game in the end people here will be very very angry with you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
They're gonna be way angrier when it turns out the whole thing was just faked using Flash.
Also, I posted this in the Making Games Megathread, but if you didn't see it: I made drag and drop actually "work"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYEnNl1iT0w

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

What is that music you use in your videos?

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
It's licensed for use, but you can buy it at https://www.abductedbysharks.com

edit: In case it's not obvious, that's the in-game music - it's not playing externally or overlaid. The little song-changer at the bottom-right is in-game.

Mug fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jan 4, 2013

Surface
May 5, 2007
<3 boomstick
Some (a bit out date) Eve-Trader changes.

A dashboard

New features coming in the margin trade finding table

Major changes visual changes are about to be pushed out to this 'item watchlist' page, but the functionality remains the same.

Surface fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jan 4, 2013

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Mug posted:

It's licensed for use, but you can buy it at https://www.abductedbysharks.com

edit: In case it's not obvious, that's the in-game music - it's not playing externally or overlaid. The little song-changer at the bottom-right is in-game.

Nice find btw, I just bought this guy's album, he's got good stuff.

The Gripper
Sep 14, 2004
i am winner
Isn't that dude the composer for Spongebob Squarepants? I didn't know he did any grungier-style stuff, which is pretty cool.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

Surface posted:

Some (a bit out date) Eve-Trader changes.

I don't play Eve, but this looks really awesome. What are you using to draw the charts? What's the server side stack look like?

Pfhreak
Jan 30, 2004

Frog Blast The Vent Core!

Maluco Marinero posted:

Nice find btw, I just bought this guy's album, he's got good stuff.

He does shows around Seattle, if you are in the neighborhood. They are incredible.

Surface
May 5, 2007
<3 boomstick

fletcher posted:

I don't play Eve, but this looks really awesome. What are you using to draw the charts? What's the server side stack look like?

Thank you, most of the charts are currently powered by Highcharts with a few being drawn by Jquery Sparkline. I have been playing with D3 and Flot for a while and may switch everything over to them.

If you haven't seen it Datavisualization.ch is worth checking out-- its a grid of different visualization libraries, it may not be all inclusive but it's pretty cool.

On the backend the web stack looks roughly like:

Linux
Nginx
Gunicorn
Python/Django
Mysql (Being phased out)
MongoDB
Redis (Memcache being phased out)

And the streaming market data processing stack:

ZeroMQ (python ZMQ)
Redis
Python/Celery
Mongodb

Surface fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Jan 4, 2013

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

The Gripper posted:

Isn't that dude the composer for Spongebob Squarepants? I didn't know he did any grungier-style stuff, which is pretty cool.

Teo does music for a lot of kids' games but I don't think he works on the original shows/movies. He's also a rad graphics guy and has been super radical to work with.
http://teoacosta.com/

The Gripper
Sep 14, 2004
i am winner

Mug posted:

Teo does music for a lot of kids' games but I don't think he works on the original shows/movies. He's also a rad graphics guy and has been super radical to work with.
http://teoacosta.com/
Ah yeah I saw his name scoring on a lot of the Nick Spongebob games and thought that was lip-service to the composer on the cartoon. Talented dude with a lot under his belt, especially since he's only what, 25?

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

The Gripper posted:

Ah yeah I saw his name scoring on a lot of the Nick Spongebob games and thought that was lip-service to the composer on the cartoon. Talented dude with a lot under his belt, especially since he's only what, 25?

Yeah he's really getting there. I think we're both 26.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

The Gripper posted:

Spongebob Squarepants had a really low budget for the first few seasons and didn't have an in-house composer. They used stock production music for most everything.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
Well the good thing about knee injuries that make you spend your entire holiday period at home is that you at least get work done. I always wanted to play around a little more with HTML5 and did the below in 6 days:

It's a solar eclipse simulator running the calculations off NASAs tables through Javascript then displaying an animation in SVG
http://exar.ch/solar-eclipses/

fcbarros
Mar 28, 2011

peak debt posted:

Well the good thing about knee injuries that make you spend your entire holiday period at home is that you at least get work done. I always wanted to play around a little more with HTML5 and did the below in 6 days:

It's a solar eclipse simulator running the calculations off NASAs tables through Javascript then displaying an animation in SVG

Wow, nice indeed, I am thinking about implementing shadows on my Gravity simulator to see if it will do eclipse right. Grats!!

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

Surface posted:

Thank you, most of the charts are currently powered by Highcharts with a few being drawn by Jquery Sparkline. I have been playing with D3 and Flot for a while and may switch everything over to them.

If you haven't seen it Datavisualization.ch is worth checking out-- its a grid of different visualization libraries, it may not be all inclusive but it's pretty cool.

On the backend the web stack looks roughly like:

Linux
Nginx
Gunicorn
Python/Django
Mysql (Being phased out)
MongoDB
Redis (Memcache being phased out)

And the streaming market data processing stack:

ZeroMQ (python ZMQ)
Redis
Python/Celery
Mongodb

Really cool stuff man. Thanks for that data visualizations link, lots of libraries in there I had never heard of. I'm working on my first real Python project that has a similar looking stack. Who are you using for hosting? How do you handle deployment of a new version? Was there a particular reason for Django over Pylons/CherryPy/Flask/etc? How come both MongoDB and Redis? They seem like they solve a similar problem but I'm not terribly familiar with them.

Also, are you monetizing this thing at all, or is it more of a hobby/labor of love? It looks so slick and professional, the folks over at CCP Games must have been pretty impressed if they've seen this.

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

I decided to try out unity and made the camera move, yaaaay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjheqgIZcZA

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!
11:37 PM: just barely made Screenshot Saturday!

Added a palette designer (and made it so my level editor uses it), then added a fade-in-fade-out transition type.

Video of the transition here, palette editor description on blog here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJ-56XcLK2M

nullfox
Aug 19, 2008
First time posting some screenshots... This is an iOS app I'm working on to track bands and upcoming concerts in your area. Being a LAMP dev I originally decided to do the REST API powering this app in PHP but have since opted to use this as an opportunity to learn Ruby and am now doing this with Sinatra and ActiveRecord

Safe and Secure!
Jun 14, 2008

OFFICIAL SA THREAD RUINER
SPRING 2013
Welp. Not sure if this is the right thread, but since we don't have a general projects thread, I'll stick it here.

I've got a lot of free time coming up, so I can get back to making cool poo poo. Anyone want to throw some specific suggestions for (what you think is) cool stuff to work on at me? I'm wide open.

Bonus points if the project is something that easily lends itself to cool screenshots, like a ray-tracer. Except I'm a little burnt out on ray-tracing and general graphics-for-graphics-sake stuff right now. Unless it's really cool and/or somewhat ridiculous, like if I could somehow manage to pull off real-time ray-tracing in javascript or something.

I've spent some time studying graphics for ray-tracing over the past couple of years. Probably no more than the equivalent of one introductory graphics course, though. I'd kind of like to dive into another area of computer science, so bonus points for something that would let me do that.

I've always kind of wanted to learn about data-mining, but then I couldn't figure out where to get data that I was interested in doing anything with. :s

I have no idea how compilers work, so I guess trying to build one might be fun, too.

I've got a game I want to make but the process of making games isn't really fun like the process of building a ray-tracer.

I'd just like to be aware of as many possibilities as possible (heh).

Safe and Secure! fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jan 7, 2013

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

Safe and Secure! posted:

I've got a game I want to make but the process of making games isn't really fun like the process of building a ray-tracer.
Says who? I'm having a blast making a game.

Safe and Secure!
Jun 14, 2008

OFFICIAL SA THREAD RUINER
SPRING 2013
I like designing games and seeing them come together, but I dislike actually programming game engines. Even more, I dislike learning to use existing engines, like Unity.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

peak debt posted:

looks awesome!
Got a bug for you though. In Firefox at least, you cannot press Backspace or any of the arrow keys inside the year text input box. Forward Delete works fine.

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

Safe and Secure! posted:

Welp. Not sure if this is the right thread, but since we don't have a general projects thread, I'll stick it here.

I've got a lot of free time coming up, so I can get back to making cool poo poo. Anyone want to throw some specific suggestions for (what you think is) cool stuff to work on at me? I'm wide open.

Bonus points if the project is something that easily lends itself to cool screenshots, like a ray-tracer. Except I'm a little burnt out on ray-tracing and general graphics-for-graphics-sake stuff right now. Unless it's really cool and/or somewhat ridiculous, like if I could somehow manage to pull off real-time ray-tracing in javascript or something.

I've spent some time studying graphics for ray-tracing over the past couple of years. Probably no more than the equivalent of one introductory graphics course, though. I'd kind of like to dive into another area of computer science, so bonus points for something that would let me do that.

I've always kind of wanted to learn about data-mining, but then I couldn't figure out where to get data that I was interested in doing anything with. :s

I have no idea how compilers work, so I guess trying to build one might be fun, too.

I'd just like to be aware of as many possibilities as possible (heh).

Make your own computational fluid dynamics program.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."

Safe and Secure! posted:

Pop on over to the Forth thread and write a Forth compiler. Your first one should only take an afternoon. Compilers are fun as hell to tinker with.

duck pond
Sep 13, 2007

I am working on a synthesizer/vocoder kinda thing for iOS.

Surface
May 5, 2007
<3 boomstick

fletcher posted:

How do you handle deployment of a new version?

All of the code is in a private git repo. I pull changes from the dev branch when they are ready.

fletcher posted:

Was there a particular reason for Django over Pylons/CherryPy/Flask/etc?

I start most new projects with Flask because its ease-of-use and low start up effort.
In this case I knew I was going to need more sophisticated user handling, sessions, and many of the other batteries-included features of Django.

fletcher posted:

How come both MongoDB and Redis? They seem like they solve a similar problem but I'm not terribly familiar with them.

Right now I am using redis mostly for its pub/sub features (as the message broker for a celery queue). Mongodb is disk backed where as Redis is memory based; My main dataset is too large to fit into memory (+16GB) so Mongodb was the choice I went with. Redis is making a great memcached replacement though.

fletcher posted:

Also, are you monetizing this thing at all, or is it more of a hobby/labor of love?

When I started this I was thinking of it more as a portfolio piece, but I have started looking at the various ways I can monetize it.

fletcher posted:

It looks so slick and professional, the folks over at CCP Games must have been pretty impressed if they've seen this.

They haven't seen it yet as far as I know; I have only sent links/screenshots to goons so far- on this forum and the Eve specific one. I hope to make it more public once I finish up a few features and let a round of beta testers break things.

Edit: Some more changes to the trade finding tool

Surface fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jan 9, 2013

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

I've posted screenshots of a few Erlang projects and metrics I had before in here, and some of you may have been aware I was working on a book for the last few 3 or 4 years.

It's now officially out. If I can allow myself to spam a bit, you can get it 40% off, including free ebook copies (DRM-free copies, that is, in PDF, .mobi, and ePub) at http://nostar.ch/erlang_promo. Apparently the 40% off remains for the week after so you can go grab other books for a cheaper prize than usual after that.

POKEMAN SAM
Jul 8, 2004

MononcQc posted:

I've posted screenshots of a few Erlang projects and metrics I had before in here, and some of you may have been aware I was working on a book for the last few 3 or 4 years.

It's now officially out. If I can allow myself to spam a bit, you can get it 40% off, including free ebook copies (DRM-free copies, that is, in PDF, .mobi, and ePub) at http://nostar.ch/erlang_promo. Apparently the 40% off remains for the week after so you can go grab other books for a cheaper prize than usual after that.

Thanks for posting this, just ordered a copy :)

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

MononcQc posted:

Congratulations on getting such a long-running project out the door!

Azazel
Jun 6, 2001
I bitch slap for a living - you want some?

MononcQc posted:

drat, I had no idea that was written by someone here. Congratulations on the official release.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

MononcQc posted:

Hey man, great work - congratulations on writing an entire freaking book and making me feel lazy by comparison!

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
It's a screenshot Saturday.

Still working on the functionality side of the UI. Changed the way abilities are carried along with creatures when you remove them from your solution and then put them back in again.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
So I've been working on a personal organiser that uses Getting Things Done principles, it has note taking, calendars, projects and tasks. This is a proof of concept that is entirely offline based using HTML5. It'll cache the whole website so you can take it offline, and the only functionality you'll lose is the embedded Google Maps and Directions.

The unique aspect of it is how you enter information into the system. All input is done through the same text entry system, the app parses the text to turn it into calendar entries, projects and next actions. Here's an example:

It's not exactly conventional, which is why I've built a proof of concept to get feedback and see whether it's the kind of thing people would use. Personally I've been using it for real while developing it, and it feels pretty good being able to enter information without switching contexts all the time, and just see it self organize actions using @Contexts, #Topics and +Contacts.

I'm making the prototype freely available at http://elephantneverforgets.com.au if you want to have a play with it. At this point it's only Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome, due to the storage medium I'm using to keep everything on the browser. That wouldn't be the case when I build a commercial release product.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Maluco Marinero posted:

So I've been working on a personal organiser that uses Getting Things Done principles, it has note taking, calendars, projects and tasks. This is a proof of concept that is entirely offline based using HTML5. It'll cache the whole website so you can take it offline, and the only functionality you'll lose is the embedded Google Maps and Directions.

The unique aspect of it is how you enter information into the system. All input is done through the same text entry system, the app parses the text to turn it into calendar entries, projects and next actions. Here's an example:

It's not exactly conventional, which is why I've built a proof of concept to get feedback and see whether it's the kind of thing people would use. Personally I've been using it for real while developing it, and it feels pretty good being able to enter information without switching contexts all the time, and just see it self organize actions using @Contexts, #Topics and +Contacts.

I'm making the prototype freely available at http://elephantneverforgets.com.au if you want to have a play with it. At this point it's only Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome, due to the storage medium I'm using to keep everything on the browser. That wouldn't be the case when I build a commercial release product.

This would be a nice elaboration on top of Fantastical, which I currently use to enter in calendar events in natural language. I'll try it out.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

Screenshot...Monday? Didn't really have time on Saturday to put a video together.

Just showing some animation configuration things, the process of using the tools I've built for content management, importing sprite animations, setting up the looping/interpolation modes for animations, etc.

Short blog post here

Anootated video here, you probably need to make it HD/large to see anything:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12AvgBE97xA

GeneralZod
May 28, 2003

Kneel before Zod!
Grimey Drawer

GeneralZod posted:

Like the Qt toolkit? Like browsers? Then how would you like Qt running in a browser?! All Javascript and HTML5 - no nacl needed!

Announced here, to thunderous silence:

http://ssj-gz.blogspot.co.uk/2012/11/quickie-qtguijs-it-mostly-lives.html

Some more screenshots & docs here:

http://vps2.etotheipiplusone.com:30176/redmine/projects/emscripten-qt/wiki

Some more updates on this here and here, plus a big bunch of demos and screenshots here.

POKEMAN SAM
Jul 8, 2004

GeneralZod posted:

Some more updates on this here and here, plus a big bunch of demos and screenshots here.

That last link gives me Access Denied, by the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GeneralZod
May 28, 2003

Kneel before Zod!
Grimey Drawer

Ugg boots posted:

That last link gives me Access Denied, by the way.

Keep trying - it's just hit planetkde, so the server is under a bit of a strain :)