Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Orzo posted:

Screenshot...Monday? Didn't really have time on Saturday to put a video together.

Just showing some animation configuration things, the process of using the tools I've built for content management, importing sprite animations, setting up the looping/interpolation modes for animations, etc.

Short blog post here

Anootated video here, you probably need to make it HD/large to see anything:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12AvgBE97xA

That is some cool poo poo!

How long did it take you to make the editor? What was the most difficult part?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!
I've been working on it steadily for a few months. Check some of the earlier blog posts from where I linked...the beginning of the blog is pretty much the beginning of development, so you can see it in its most primitive state (except for the first 2 weeks or so of development).

So far the 'hardest' part has been figuring out what I want to do with layers, believe of it or not. It sounds like a fairly simple aspect to development but getting something simple enough to make level design quick yet flexible enough to allow for arbitrary layering has been difficult.

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

Most of what I work on is infrastructure so there aren't any screenshots, but lately I've been working on an os x app to simulate a lovely washed out projector, so when you're working on a presentation you're not surprised no one can read your slides

Pfhreak
Jan 30, 2004

Frog Blast The Vent Core!

Orzo posted:

I've been working on it steadily for a few months. Check some of the earlier blog posts from where I linked...the beginning of the blog is pretty much the beginning of development, so you can see it in its most primitive state (except for the first 2 weeks or so of development).

So far the 'hardest' part has been figuring out what I want to do with layers, believe of it or not. It sounds like a fairly simple aspect to development but getting something simple enough to make level design quick yet flexible enough to allow for arbitrary layering has been difficult.

When you say layers, are you talking visual layers or logical ones? (Like heights, etc.) When I peeled apart the Chrono Trigger ROM, I discovered that they had done something pretty clever with their layers. The player could walk on only 2 different height layers, A and B. If you were in layer A, layer B was solid, and vice versa. There were a number of different ways to transition the player between them, but the most obvious one was ramps that would just toggle which layer the player was on. So going up a complex mountainside was just switching the player back and forth between the A and B layers. It looks like a complex series of different heights visually, but it's all modeled as a single back and forth boolean switch. Pretty neat!

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

Pfhreak posted:

When you say layers, are you talking visual layers or logical ones? (Like heights, etc.) When I peeled apart the Chrono Trigger ROM, I discovered that they had done something pretty clever with their layers. The player could walk on only 2 different height layers, A and B. If you were in layer A, layer B was solid, and vice versa. There were a number of different ways to transition the player between them, but the most obvious one was ramps that would just toggle which layer the player was on. So going up a complex mountainside was just switching the player back and forth between the A and B layers. It looks like a complex series of different heights visually, but it's all modeled as a single back and forth boolean switch. Pretty neat!
I'm talking about both, actually. I generally have a plan of dividing my levels into 'slabs' and 'slices', for lack of better word, where slabs are logical layers and slices are sub-layers which control nothing but the visual appearance. A player will be on one slab at a time and follow the logical (collision detection, etc) rules against entities on the same slab.

GeneralZod
May 28, 2003

Kneel before Zod!
Grimey Drawer

GeneralZod posted:

Keep trying - it's just hit planetkde, so the server is under a bit of a strain :)

Now on Phoronix:

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTI3NDc

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

Orzo posted:

Screenshot...Monday? Didn't really have time on Saturday to put a video together.

Just showing some animation configuration things, the process of using the tools I've built for content management, importing sprite animations, setting up the looping/interpolation modes for animations, etc.

Short blog post here

Anootated video here, you probably need to make it HD/large to see anything:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12AvgBE97xA

Hey, thanks for posting your stuff in this thread. I really like watching your videos! I've been working on a video similar to your "Zelda with a twist" thing earlier- very inspiring.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost

fcbarros posted:

Wow, nice indeed, I am thinking about implementing shadows on my Gravity simulator to see if it will do eclipse right. Grats!!

Thanks! And good luck, it's crazy how many things you need to consider to properly calculate solar eclipses because of how exact the calculations need to be:
- The ellipsoid shape of the earth
- Speeding and slowing of the solar day relative to the sidereal day depending on the season
- Changing speed of the Earth depending on its distance from the sun
- Changing day length due to transfer of energy from the Earth to the Moon due to tidal forces
- Changing angular momentum of the Earth due to the raising of arctic lands after the ice age
- Varying lunar diameter due to libration

Each of those factors are big enough that if you don't consider them, the position of the shadow might be off by several kilometers :( But at least I learned quite a bit about practical astronomy.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Redoing the OpenGL code in my iPad app TC-11. Runs at a smooth 60fps! Right now it looks like a rainbow barfed all over the screen. Color updates are next.

fcbarros
Mar 28, 2011

peak debt posted:

Thanks! And good luck, it's crazy how many things you need to consider to properly calculate solar eclipses because of how exact the calculations need to be:
- The ellipsoid shape of the earth
- Speeding and slowing of the solar day relative to the sidereal day depending on the season
- Changing speed of the Earth depending on its distance from the sun
- Changing day length due to transfer of energy from the Earth to the Moon due to tidal forces
- Changing angular momentum of the Earth due to the raising of arctic lands after the ice age
- Varying lunar diameter due to libration

Each of those factors are big enough that if you don't consider them, the position of the shadow might be off by several kilometers :( But at least I learned quite a bit about practical astronomy.

Holy cow!!!! That is indeed a lot of stuff to consider, you do all that? Awesome, I am even more impressed.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

lord funk posted:

Redoing the OpenGL code in my iPad app TC-11. Runs at a smooth 60fps! Right now it looks like a rainbow barfed all over the screen. Color updates are next.

FYI, the smitematter review on your page is a broken link. Also consider including the quotes since I'm less interested in clicking through than just hearing validation (which presumably is honest).

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

FYI, the smitematter review on your page is a broken link. Also consider including the quotes since I'm less interested in clicking through than just hearing validation (which presumably is honest).

Thanks - fixed the link. There are quotes up at the top of the page. :)

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?
Another screenshot Monday, since I was stupid busy this weekend:

The firehouse in Jones is no longer pink! Yay!

Anywho, the functional elements are in place along with some of the deco. Next up, I need to add a bit more deco, and then pepper the thing with animated cats. So freaking many cats. Once that's done, I'll be able to finalize the end of level celebration, and... the game will be, like, basically done and stuff.

(that screen in the door actually pops out as the fire door opens... and there's no fire doors in the scene because the screenshot was taken in edit mode)

EDIT: VV I can feel some International Talk Like A Pirate-day themed content coming on...

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jan 16, 2013

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
Misread 'RUN' as 'RUM'. Suggest changing 'RUN' to 'RUM'.

The Candyman
Aug 19, 2010

by T. Finninho
Please ignore the transitions between LOD levels and/or all the stolen art.

Note: I'm planning to remove all the nicked artwork before even releasing official screenshots

forelle
Oct 9, 2004

Two fine trout
Nap Ghost
I'm not sure this counts as a screenshot, but I'm pretty proud of it so what they hey.

http://www.fxguide.com/fxguidetv/fxguidetv-165-scott-metzger-on-mari-and-hdr/

This is a video showing off some spherical HDR projection tools I helped put together last year. The whole video is worth watching but the fun stuff starts about 10:00.

Fun stuff.

Optimus Prime Ribs
Jul 25, 2007

The Candyman posted:

Please ignore the transitions between LOD levels and/or all the stolen art.

That looks pretty neat.
Are those the tree models from Wurm?

The Candyman
Aug 19, 2010

by T. Finninho

Optimus Prime Ribs posted:

That looks pretty neat.
Are those the tree models from Wurm?

Yup. the item icons are from Rift

Felayga
Jun 9, 2004

Two Turing machines fought to bring you this avatar.
Inspired by http://maximecb.github.com/Turing-Drawings/, I built a similar program.

The one I built allows for multiple randomly generated Turing machines to compete for the image space, as well as being more easily manipulated in general.

The image shown, as well as my avatar, are a good example of two machines competing for the display.
code:
String for the image shown:
w128h128v5i2(s4i1x91y74[4m2][5m2][5m2][1m3])(s4i2x3y110[5m3][4m1][5m0][4m1])
C# .Net source and executable are on GitHub if anyone wants to dick around with it. https://github.com/felayga/TuringRand

It could be more efficient, but I'm lazy.

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

Felayga posted:

Inspired by http://maximecb.github.com/Turing-Drawings/, I built a similar program.

The one I built allows for multiple randomly generated Turing machines to compete for the image space, as well as being more easily manipulated in general.

The image shown, as well as my avatar, are a good example of two machines competing for the display.
code:
String for the image shown:
w128h128v5i2(s4i1x91y74[4m2][5m2][5m2][1m3])(s4i2x3y110[5m3][4m1][5m0][4m1])
C# .Net source and executable are on GitHub if anyone wants to dick around with it. https://github.com/felayga/TuringRand

It could be more efficient, but I'm lazy.

This is really cool.

Loom: r5w125h125v5i2(s4i2x29y93[4m0][3m3][5m0][5m4])(s4i0x70y93[0m2][3m4][2m2][2m2])
Wipers: r100w125h125v5i2(s4i0x90y36[5m4][5m2][5m0][1m2])(s4i2x76y88[0m4][5m0][1m3][5m4])
Blight: r25w125h125v5i2(s4i3x4y19[5m2][5m4][5m4][5m4])(s4i3x123y60[1m0][5m2][1m0][1m3])
Triangles: r10w125h125v4i2(s4i1x92y50[5m0][0m1][5m2][5m1])(s4i2x91y1[5m3][4m3][5m2][0m0])
Fracture: r100w125h125v3i2(s5i3x63y22[5m0][5m1][5m2][5m1][2m2])(s5i4x19y2[0m2][4m2][5m1][5m2][0m2])
Seismograph: r100w125h125v3i2(s5i1x77y48[3m0][2m0][5m1][5m1][1m1])(s5i3x113y55[3m2][5m0][2m1][2m0][5m0])

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
Felayga: that looks like a wicked intense game of corewar. Cool stuff.

Felayga
Jun 9, 2004

Two Turing machines fought to bring you this avatar.
This sort of thing interests me a lot. Not really sure why.

Sierpinski-related action:

code:
r10.00w64h64v5i1(s7i3x26y62[5m4][5m3][4m1][5m0][5m2][3m2][0m1])
Also, a true fractal in the program that served as inspiration: http://maximecb.github.com/Turing-Drawings/#4,3,1,2,1,1,1,0,1,2,1,0,2,1,2,1,2,3,2,3,1,2,3,3,2,1,0,1,2,2,2,1,2,2,1,1,2,2

Felayga fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Jan 17, 2013

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

This is inspirational and amazing. And Felayga, please port your app to Mac OS, iOS or something that would work in a web browser!

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
I don't understand anything from the past 4 posts.

The Gripper
Sep 14, 2004
i am winner
I call this one "California Games on a broken Amiga"
r50.00w64h64v5i5(s8i5x25y30[0m3][5m0][5m3][5m2][4m4][5m2][5m0][5m1])(s8i4x62y25[5m1][5m3][5m4][5m4][0m0][4m4][5m1][5m3])(s8i0x53y55[5m0][3m4][5m2][5m1][5m0][1m3][5m3][4m1])(s8i3x29y14[5m4][0m2][0m0][5m3][0m1][5m4][0m0][1m3])(s8i6x30y6[5m3][5m4][5m0][5m2][5m4][5m3][5m0][0m0])

Physical
Sep 26, 2007

by T. Finninho

The Gripper posted:

I call this one "California Games on a broken Amiga"
r50.00w64h64v5i5(s8i5x25y30[0m3][5m0][5m3][5m2][4m4][5m2][5m0][5m1])(s8i4x62y25[5m1][5m3][5m4][5m4][0m0][4m4][5m1][5m3])(s8i0x53y55[5m0][3m4][5m2][5m1][5m0][1m3][5m3][4m1])(s8i3x29y14[5m4][0m2][0m0][5m3][0m1][5m4][0m0][1m3])(s8i6x30y6[5m3][5m4][5m0][5m2][5m4][5m3][5m0][0m0])
We gotta start spreading this to the rest of the forums like a meme and a "no soap, radio!" kind of joke.

...er maybe not.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right

lord funk posted:

This is cool as hell, too bad it's for IOS and not Android.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

I've spent the last week or so working on an 'entity control' system for my game which lets me write scripts to interpolate various properties in parallel/sequence with arbitrary values and different interpolation curves.

Annotated video here, showing 12 progressively more complex situations. All scenarios were written directly in the level editor.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTW1k_iFG00

Blog post here. For anyone that's interested in code, I've dumped all the Lua scripts that control each of the balls at the end of the post.

Orzo fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jan 18, 2013

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
I got tired of iPad choking in the gif-heavy PYF threads, so I made a bookmarklet that shows only one post at a time, with buttons for showing the previous and next posts. (Also I wanted to play with js minification :3:)

Works a lot better, gifs animate a lot more smoothly.

If you want it, it's here: http://wheany.com/SA/singlify.html

The source code is 2.37KB, but as a minified javascript-url, it's 773 bytes.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

These updates are great. It makes me want to drop everything and make video games.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

lord funk posted:

These updates are great. It makes me want to drop everything and make video games.
I'm glad you like them. Whats stopping you?

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Orzo posted:

Making synthesizers. :)

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!

Orzo posted:

Your stuff is really cool

What is it programmed in?

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

Le0 posted:

Your stuff is really cool

What is it programmed in?
The engine is C#, with SlimDX (a wrapper around DirectX) for graphics. Scripts are Lua.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Orzo, have you looked at or played with a horrible thing called Graal Online? I shamefully grew up playing and developing for it (animations, graphics, scripting, level editing, server/clientside programming and interaction).

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

Mido posted:

Orzo, have you looked at or played with a horrible thing called Graal Online? I shamefully grew up playing and developing for it (animations, graphics, scripting, level editing, server/clientside programming and interaction).
Nope, never heard of it until now. But judging from the screenshots, some of the graphics are very LTTP inspired if I'm not mistaken.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Orzo posted:

Nope, never heard of it until now. But judging from the screenshots, some of the graphics are very LTTP inspired if I'm not mistaken.

Yeah. It was "Zelda Online" around '98. At some point they decided the best course of action would be to trace over the assets and call it Graal.

Edit: Huh... I still have a screenshot laying around of the original version.

akadajet fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jan 23, 2013

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Horray for Backups

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Suspicious Dish posted:

Horray for Backups

Indeed. :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dolex
May 5, 2001

contour mining ~300 Dali paintings using Processing (http://processing.org)

Only registered members can see post attachments!