Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

ashgromnies posted:

How do you learn to do stuff like vertex shaders? I assume there's an "accepted" way of doing it. I'm really curious about all this neat graphics programming after spending years in Linux command-line hell.

The Orange Book and the GPU Gems series are good places to start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

SuperFurryAnimal posted:

I've written a decent summary of the simulation as it currently stands, but I can't get to it at the moment - I'll post it in the next few days.

Basically, the core technologies are a fully physically simulated figure (rigid body hierarchy with powered joints), inverse dynamics (limb movements), robotic/ethology inspired gait controllers, and a lot of self-organisation. The animation is a result of the (mostly indirect) feedback between many self-regulating simulatory components, which all act in some way to maintain balance.

This is really cool. You might find Real-time Motion Retargeting to Highly Varied User-Created Morphologies (Spore's procedural animation) interesting, although I'm sure your techniques create much more realistic animation for spiders.

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

Sterra posted:

A small java application designed because my hand tends to hurt after clicking the mouse for a while.

Surely you're joking?

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

Lumpy posted:

I'll stop obsessing now.

The right edge of "Quit" should be aligned along the right edge of the logo, as "Login" is along the left edge.

Edit: "Loging in"

Scaevolus fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Jul 9, 2008

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

cletus42o posted:

This looks cool, but you really should use PNG for screenshots :v:

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

tripwire posted:

As someone who knows only the smallest bit about haskell, what would be different about writing a game of life implementation in it as opposed to in C?

Writing anything with mutable state is non-trivial in haskell :v:

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

Eclipse and Second Life: a match made in heaven.

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

hexadecimal posted:

I hate Second Life, I would have just made my own viewer, but I was made to use SL :(

You have my pity.

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

terminatusx posted:

C&C

This looks interesting, but maybe you should choose a different abbreviation. :v:

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

Supervillin posted:

Saw that I had 50k+ unique visitors last year on my lovely avatar scraper, so I figured if people use it I should give it a facelift. SAARS 2.0:
[

Nice. Since (I assume) you're reading the http headers from the forums anyways, do you think you could add the creation/modification times for the avatars?

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

Supervillin posted:

Edit: All of the above's fixed. Will take a look into the image headers and see if I can put in the creation/mod times in the image alt or title or something useful.

Cool, it's nice to have suggestions taken :)

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

BeefofAges posted:

Click here for the full 956x518 image.

A crossplatform (Windows and OS X - Linux support shouldn't be hard to add in the future) Python hard drive benchmark. Generates files on one drive, uses the operating system's shell to transfer them to the other drive, then saves the results to a .csv and plots the data using matplotlib. It's intended to simulate a real drag-and-drop file transfer as closely as possible. The only thing left to do is package it so that you don't have to install python, matplotlib, numpy, and pywin32 to use it.

I've been thinking of making a thread to ask people to beta test it, because there are about a million different use cases and I haven't had time to try all of them.
Did you learn UI design from factormystic?

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

Factor Mystic posted:

Guess which one of these I designed :buddy:

Factor Mystic posted:

Comprehensive file association editor for windows, with focus on usability. Designed for Vista, plays nice with UAC, but most file association stuff can be set as a user preference anyway. I'll be posting a thread in SH/SC for feedback when it's done.

:v:

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

Fecotourist posted:

Does the information in this picture uniquely determine the arrangement of the squares on the other side? You'd think that the opposite corner, for example, could have any of 3 orientations, but maybe there are some subtle constraints.
I also wonder if you're finding indiviual colored squares without much context, or if you start by estimating the overall orientation of the whole Rubik's cube and use that for finding the squares.
Yeah, the orientation of the non-visible edges (two-color pieces) is not deducible from seeing three of the faces.

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

Factor Mystic posted:

Thanks for the devkey!

You don't need it anyways if you're just grabbing posts, (you just go to http://api.betacie.com/view/random?language=en)

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

Here's the stdout an IRC bot I've been working on for a while:

In it you can see KaeseEs one-upping me by showing off his bot's piping.

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

Belgarath posted:

Factor Mystic's Default Programs Editor made it onto Lifehacker: http://lifehacker.com/5339059/default-programs-editor-changes-file-associations-with-ease

quote:

It's a powerful, slick utility that probably should have been included in Windows by default.
Okay, Factor Mystic, I'll stop making fun of you for your earlier abomination.

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

It's nowhere near as useful as that font maker, but I'm implementing maze algorithms that have already been done a million times.

Hue represents distance from the start (top-left corner).

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

Screeb posted:

What's the hue if there are multiple routes to the same location? Or does it only work for mazes with one path to each location?

Right now it generates perfect mazes (only one path between any two locations), but it would display the hue for the shortest distance if there were loops.

Jo posted:

I'm guessing it uses the lowest distance to the location, unless he's using something other than A*.

I'm using Dijkstra's algorithm because it lets you find the shortest path between a vertex and every other vertex on the graph, while A* just uses heuristics to find a path between two vertices on a graph.

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

Ugg boots posted:

A* finds the least cost from one node to one of a set of goal nodes.

And even then, that's not guaranteed unless your heuristic is admissable (as AgentF said), which it rarely is.

I'll draw an example if people still don't get that.

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

wlievens posted:

I always thought that the most frequently used A* heuristic would be euclidian distance, either in a grid or in a graph. And that is admissable. I'd love to see realistic examples of the contrary!
Ah, crap. I went to go find the simple case where A* is non optimal, and then realized that I had been arguing while thinking of the wrong algorithm-- I had somehow simplified A* to DFS in my mind.

This is the case I was thinking of (applet here):

So yes, A* would work fine for finding the shortest solution for the maze, but I wanted the distance for every node, making Dijkstra's Algorithm more efficient.

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

tripwire posted:

openGL is hard :qq:

Glad to see you got it working-- what was the bug?

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

tripwire posted:

I know the genetic algorithm itself works because when I switch the rendering engine back to cairo it works like normal again.
Try comparing the fitnesses reported by the different renderers? (why aren't you on IRC >:[)

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

A simple random character generator. Next up: turning the bitmaps into brushstrokes, so I can automatically make larger or smaller characters, and render them nicely.

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

SlightlyMadman posted:

Neat! Is this for creating convincing-looking alien languages or something?

Basically. Some scientists used this method to create a message for aliens.

This paper describes the technique: you generate a bunch of random characters and ensure that they all look different. The original purpose was error correction, but it also makes them easy to tell apart visually.

Scaevolus fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jan 23, 2010

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

Strumpy posted:

Are you using Perlin or Simplex noise for the clouds?

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

Strumpy posted:

Finished off some procedural planet stuff I was working on. It's not amazing but it's 'fit for purpose'. I realised I was spending more time on this stuff then on gameplay for my game... I'll probably iterate on this a bit more at a later date.

All terrain and clouds are procedural and generated with perlin noise.

Looks nice, but it seems strange to have clouds covering everything. You could try raising it to a power so you get sharper outlines. (http://www.gamedev.net/reference/articles/article2085.asp)

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

OneEightHundred posted:

This is pretty awesome, have you considered trying to make it stand-alone for game integration if it's capable of running in real time?

In the video it seemed to vary from .5 to 20 fps.

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

Come on guys, it goes from #FFFFFF to #F6F6EF. Totally obvious.

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

Sebbe posted:

I've been working a bit on some sorting algorithm visualization, á la these Java ones.

It's done in Python with PyGame, available on github if you're curious; or you could just watch an example of it running quicksort without having to download anything:

Have you considered using Cairo to render instead? It seems to work well for static sorting visualizations: http://corte.si//posts/code/visualisingsorting/index.html

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

danishcake posted:

Put this Android live wallpaper on the market over the weekend:

It's called LiveMaze

I like this.

Suggestions:

Implement a few more maze-generation algorithms and have it shuffle between them. Some of them could look more interesting than your recursive backtracker. There's a good list here.

Raise the price. No, seriously. Multiple developers have observed that app price under a certain point (around $5) seems to have no effect on sales-- the most important barrier is that of the user deciding to actually buy it, not the numeric cost. You'll get the same number of sales at £2 that you'll get at £0.75, but more than twice the revenue.

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

wacky posted:

This might be a dumb question but I can't tell if that is a real city or not. What city is it? Cityscapes are so effing cool and they tie in perfectly to the cyberpunk (dream) lifestyle of the programmer :allears:
It's a real photo of Tokyo.

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

Reverse Engineering the MOS 6502 CPU gives a good explanation of how the original 6502 works, and in particular why the undocumented opcodes function as they do.

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

Huragok posted:

So I'm developing a numerical processing tool IN THE CLOUD:

How does this compare to Sage notebooks?

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

FeloniousDrunk posted:

I'm tweaking and massaging a zoomy image viewer, initially for newspapers but intended to become a general viewer for large images and PDFs. It's all jQuery on the client side, and a godawful mess of ghostscript, pdftools, and stuff I've forgotten about on the back end.

A few things that you're probably aware of:

New tiles should load in the background. When you zoom, it shouldn't blank the screen as the new tiles are loaded. It should load them in the background and replace them.

Double clicks should be caught so that you can't select images accidentally.

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

Dr. Citan Uzuki posted:

Any suggestions or advice is appreciated :)
Make shots disappear when the bottom goes off screen, not when the top goes off screen.

Shots should be visible when they're spawned (not beneath your plane). It makes it feel like there's a delay between when you press space and when the shot appears.

Either make sure the page doesn't scroll (body{overflow:hidden}) or trap up/down keys so that they don't scroll the page.

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

Here's a frog playing a video game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlEzvdlYRes

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

I've never done any GUI stuff, so this is a learning experience for me, but...

You could simplify the "Device Type" column into Play/Record (Green Triangle/Red Circle) icons.

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

duck monster posted:

What I did was had a list of various machines that took multiple inputs and had multipe outputs, each machine would take a certain number of goods of type a and b, and poo poo out a certain number of x and maybe z. (Ie goods+waste). You could then hook the inputs and outputs together to create factories. So you might have a refiner that takes in iron ore and shits out iron, hook it to another machine that makes cogs and there might be a bunch of these machines that hook together to feed a spaceship engine plant, and these might then hook together with a chasis plant and a control systems plant to make a spacecraft. This could then be plugged into a plant that upgrades spaceships into a particular type of spaceship, and so on.
X3 used this mechanic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

mintskoal posted:

Agreed, however Google will complain if you do a big email pull like that. Also, if a heavy user scanned 30 days of inbox and trash, it could potentially be thousands of messages at a time. I'd love to support that but I can't rely on Google to allow it. For instance, 14 days of trash and inbox in my account is 544 messages. Takes about 3 minutes to process.
Can you scan the list of emails for known bulk sender addresses without retrieving the bodies?