Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Digital Spaghetti
Jul 8, 2007
I never gave a reach-around to a spider monkey while reciting the Pledge of Alligence.

Barrackas posted:

Couple of pics from my Java3D terrain program (done for my dissertation)

Hazy hills...

Stars coming out at night...

Very nice! Kinda looks like Stellarium in the night shot. What sort of FPS do you get with Java for games?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital Spaghetti
Jul 8, 2007
I never gave a reach-around to a spider monkey while reciting the Pledge of Alligence.

usingpond posted:

Remaking Zelda 3 with Torque on OS X (despite Constructor's wishes):

What version of Torque are you using? I still have a copy of the origional version and I'm wondering if it's worth paying the $50 for the update. I've owned the engine for 7 years now, and I still haven't done anything with it :/ But I hear development on Linux has improved.

Digital Spaghetti
Jul 8, 2007

A pretty lovely shot, but it's the new release of my password strength meter. I've been watching Doug Crockford's videos on JavaScript, and this plugin represents re-writing to his specifications.

I really like how now I have each validation rule as a lamda's, and a method to easily add your own methods, making the plugin really dynamic. For example it's really easy to add an ajax dictionary validation rule to check the word is not a common word.

It's pretty much my only visual thing to show at the moment, although I have another couple of things coming up in the pipeline. You can try a demo here

Digital Spaghetti
Jul 8, 2007

SnurlIt

My first released AIR app. Pretty lovely looking, but it does what it says on the tin. Hoping to come up with something a bit more clever next time. Should be able to post screenshots next week of some stuff we're doing at work which is much nicer.

Digital Spaghetti
Jul 8, 2007

more falafel please posted:

I was about to reply that I just saw this on Lifehacker or TUAW or something, but a quick search of my Google Reader showed that it was actually just the CoC aggregator.

So congratulations on making it to THE FRONT PAGE of sn.printf.net.

HUR!

Digital Spaghetti
Jul 8, 2007

One of my companies clients here in the UK is The New Football Pools, a re-branding of a betting game that was based around football (soccer) and in it's height had 6 millions regular players. It was a type of spread betting type of game, which lost popularity.

To get back the players, they want to enter the internet age and we have been developing a desktop application using nothing but HTML, JavaScript, a little bit of flash (animations and AIR libraries) and Adobe AIR. These screenshots show the application in action.

It lives in the system tray as a little football. It has a right-click context menu, and left clicking shows the application. Currently it has a RSS feed called Pundit's Corner, as well as static content to games and offers online. It also has a podcast player (controlled all with JavaScript!) that uses JSON to load off a control panel backend.

The backend also controls the notices the application receives, which triggers and window and a small animation.

We're currently in UAT with the client, so there might be some further changes, however this is now a very stable application! The app has a built-in auto-updater that checks the XML file remotely using jQuery. If the remote version is higher, it fires the updater to download and update the application.

We also have a clever little migration script that handles database updates per version.

Really, AIR, I can only describe it in two words: Bloody Brilliant! I've loved working on this application, and I can't wait to start adding more features. I'm definitely going to learn AS3 and add more flash-based interactivity.

We'll be releasing the application on 7th August, though I might try see if we can do a closed beta-test via the forum.

Digital Spaghetti
Jul 8, 2007
My first ever flash application! For the AIR application I posted earlier, our client requires to be seen to be verifying users ages (because it's a gambling site). For this, I started building a crappy little verification script in JavaScript, but getting the AIR installer to appear nicely wasn't working well, so yesterday I sat down and started to learn Actionscript 3.

Today I have build this installer. It's a flash movie with the same age verification logic as before, but when the user clicks to verify it loads another flash movie - either a static "Sorry" message, or it loads the AIR badge for the user to install the app.

This part was the hardest - but in the end, all the trouble was because I needed to test in the browser, CS3's inbuilt flash player for debugging is useless.

The initial installer screen. It's still very rough until the designer gets her hands on it

This is the AIR installer being invoked into the movie

And the AIR installer loading up

Finally, here is the message if you are underage, a static flash movie

Digital Spaghetti
Jul 8, 2007

Not much to look at, but it's a live demo of my jMaps library for jQuery.

You can visit it at http://jmaps.appjet.net/

The app is written 100% in JavaScript in the Appjet API and jQuery, and uses Mozilla Geode/Google Gears to try get your location to localise the map.

If it can't find them, it falls back to IP based and with this I've also created a publicly available API to get a location from IP using 3rd party XML services and offering a simple JSON object.

Digital Spaghetti
Jul 8, 2007

Full set at http://www.flickr.com/photos/tripcastradio/sets/72157612654734214/

Brightroid is my first attempt at an Android application. At the moment is allows you to either find your position, or search for it and submit it to Brightkite.

It's still at very early stages and buggy, but it's been fun to program.

Digital Spaghetti
Jul 8, 2007

Id4ever posted:

Wordfeud - a multiplayer Scrabble like game for Android

Very cool, have downloaded it - a lot of fun

Digital Spaghetti
Jul 8, 2007

LOLLERZ posted:

I'm working on a browser-based text editor. It uses a node.js backend as a text server.

You should check out http://www.cloud9ide.com - also build on nodejs, with debugger and extensions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital Spaghetti
Jul 8, 2007

bobthecheese posted:

Click here for the full 1920x1150 image.

It's a relatively simple Call centre/reception application that I'm building. I'm probably a week or so away from hitting beta stage.

I'll be releasing it under some open source licence or other when I'm done (I use a couple of third-party libraries or scripts, so I'll have to figure out licencing based on them. I guess it'll probably end up GPLed or LGPLed.)

Anyway, it's a JS Front end (built in ExtJS/Sencha) talking to a php/MySQL back end.

I've built it in my spare time outside of work because we sorely need something like this. I figured that if we need it, there's a good chance that other people could benefit from it, too.

In fact, I'm looking for a couple of people to alpha-test it. If you're interested, PM me your name and an email address, and I'll set up a user for you.

As I said in the other thread, looks pretty good. I'm doing an ExtJS heavy app myself:

Image here

It's software for business continuity and makes heavy use of ExtJS TreeGrids, GridPanels and forms; built on top of a Nodejs backend and CouchDB database (so it's pretty much 100% JavaScript).

Each form is broken down into component fieldsets that allow me to build up forms using different elements, and I have to do a little pre-processing on some stuff to put the data format for the CouchDB store but not much.

We're due to go into Private beta this month with our first client - then we hope to roll it out early next year to paying customers.