Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008
Can't really post a screenshot for either since they're not very visual, but I want to mark my accomplishment somehow. Hopefully this isn't a thread faux pas?

I finally got fallbacks for midroll video ads in my company's Android app to work - I think. Backwards-compatible videos between 20-minute videos, where not losing your state is important, is the most painful thing ever on Android. Ugh. I'm stoked I got the hard part done, though. (but I wish people would just pay their $7 for no ads.) Next is requesting ad metadata, integrating our good-enough VAST parser, ad quartile pings, and clickthrough UI. :suicide:

At home, I've got a netboot+NFS+kickstart setup scripted to automatically and fully install a VM, complete with custom hostname, VMWare Tools (as I'm using ESXi), and Puppet. Turns out, if you specify a http repository during install, it'll download then install, whereas it'll go straight to installing from an NFS repository. Now if only I could script starting a VM on ESXi without having to pay for a license (I'm using the free version).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Lurchington posted:

the esxi command line tools may not be free, but ESX hypervisor does work with libvirt: http://libvirt.org/. Based on context I'm not sure if you meant the ESX hypervisor license is free.

that last paragraph sounds very similar to something I built up at work last year, where given a config file describing 7-10 boxes, you'll get your DNS reservations made, the VMs will be made on the ESX server, they gets PXE booted by cobbler which installs puppet and boom! You have a stack of machines ready to go.
I've been hesitant to try cobbler, since afaik (but I could be wrong) it takes control of the network, DNS, DHCP, etc. What's your experience deploying? How well can it coexist in a home setup, or should it be put on its own network or something?

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Suspicious Dish posted:

Git and Users.

Pretty sure Google Code offers git.

Regardless, GitHub offers an audience. If you don't mind obscurity, and aren't inclined to facilitate collaboration with other people, I think there's no real problem with Google Code.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Maluco Marinero posted:

So I've been working on a personal organiser that uses Getting Things Done principles, it has note taking, calendars, projects and tasks. This is a proof of concept that is entirely offline based using HTML5. It'll cache the whole website so you can take it offline, and the only functionality you'll lose is the embedded Google Maps and Directions.

The unique aspect of it is how you enter information into the system. All input is done through the same text entry system, the app parses the text to turn it into calendar entries, projects and next actions. Here's an example:

It's not exactly conventional, which is why I've built a proof of concept to get feedback and see whether it's the kind of thing people would use. Personally I've been using it for real while developing it, and it feels pretty good being able to enter information without switching contexts all the time, and just see it self organize actions using @Contexts, #Topics and +Contacts.

I'm making the prototype freely available at http://elephantneverforgets.com.au if you want to have a play with it. At this point it's only Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome, due to the storage medium I'm using to keep everything on the browser. That wouldn't be the case when I build a commercial release product.

This would be a nice elaboration on top of Fantastical, which I currently use to enter in calendar events in natural language. I'll try it out.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

lord funk posted:

Redoing the OpenGL code in my iPad app TC-11. Runs at a smooth 60fps! Right now it looks like a rainbow barfed all over the screen. Color updates are next.

FYI, the smitematter review on your page is a broken link. Also consider including the quotes since I'm less interested in clicking through than just hearing validation (which presumably is honest).

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Keebler posted:

Wow nice, that's a lot of work! Are you also writing your own emulator for the SNES or using something off the shelf?

There are off-the-shelp hardware implementations of the SNES available?

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008
SourceForge? Really? What advantages do you see SF giving you over, say, GitHub?

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Mug posted:

Man, it's been a crazy 24 hours. People are emailing me... a lot of really interesting people.

Do tell.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Mug posted:

Yahoo Hacker News

Heh, Hacker News isn't a part of Yahoo. Think of it as a particularly large and influential subreddit that manages to moderate itself somewhat better than average. It skews older than Reddit and slightly towards higher-quality discussion - though it's been suffering from member growth and occasionally a bit too much hypercritical criticism.

In any case, the press you've been getting is impressive! I wonder if the wave of coverage can last long enough for you to ride it into a lot of release-day sales. As some have said, there's a novelty angle to the coverage. Once the "omg it's QBASIC" buzz plays itself out, they might move on to the next something-or-other for no particular reason. Good luck, in any case.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Tres Burritos posted:

I'm going to second not liking that font, if we're giving feedback. It looks cool. But it's hard for me to read.

To be honest, I'm reading it as 900D rather than as "GOOD", though common sense lets me know that it's obviously the latter.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

parkov posted:

Thanks! When I saw the amount of traffic coming from Neatorama, I just about had a heart attack.
And now on HN: https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=5624295

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

yaoi prophet posted:

You should post this somewhere that's not behind the paywall and submit it to Reddit, HN, and wherever else you think would fit. This is completely batfuck of them.

Making it a PR problem for TI will be payback on a guy strongly suspected of taking credit, but don't come off too strong. If it really was a miscommunication or someone other than the guy being a dick you don't want to be left looking like an enormous jerk that jumped to conclusions.

IMO. don't be a coward and imply that this could really be a huge mistake, but don't come out guns blazing ready to torch this motherfucker. Light the fire and trolls will keep flaming, facts be damned. Just tell your story.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Biowarfare posted:

I've been working on my League of Legends replay parser and downloader and scoreboard crap.

bootstrap :effort:

What language are you writing it in? How far along are you? I have some LoL stuff on the back-burner myself. Care to collaborate?

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Biowarfare posted:

A terrifying mix of scala with one giant main because I don't know any better, php, and a crapload of nodejs/socketio.
I have the entire replay saving/replaying/etc done months ago, just don't have a good UI right now. I have the scoreboard for general use kinda? done though.

Would you mind if I linked this to Jack Etienne?

E: further discussion over PM would be polite I guess

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Grawl posted:

You might want to invest your time into the OUYA. I'm sure someone will care enough to hire you for whatever project.
Please don't. Ouya is a bad device whose engineers aren't what I would call the best. Skip it - and keep doing awesome stuff!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Null Pointer posted:

I've been writing an engine replacement for Dark Forces 2.

Still pretty early so there isn't too much to talk about other than scathing criticism of 1997's finest computer software design. No idea if I'll ever finish it, but it's been keeping me busy between interviews.

Holy crap, that was one of my first Star Wars games that wasn't X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter, and I remember it fondly. Updating the engine to something even half as bad would be amazing. Keep going!