Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.

shodanjr_gr posted:

That's what ive been reading as well. I was just hoping for some experimental/proof of concept implementation, but oh-well...
What about this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagacity
May 2, 2003

ImDifferent posted:

we're dynamically generating AS3 code from erb templates on the backend, compiling it, and serving up SWFs which are dynamically linked into the runtime.
Could you elaborate some more on that? It seems...unusual :) (but interesting, yes)

Sagacity
May 2, 2003

fankey posted:

Our largest system has a butt load of horsepower
It would appear so, yes :) What kind of system is it?

Sagacity
May 2, 2003

fankey posted:

Q-Sys
All at 48kHz floating point, 2.5ms analog in to out latency.
That's very spiffy! I'm assuming your systems are slightly more expensive than the average UAD DSP card :)

Sagacity
May 2, 2003

Factor Mystic posted:

Todo: rip off the rest of Now.js's features :v:
Proposal for better todo: Add Nancy support for SignalR :)

Sagacity
May 2, 2003

OneEightHundred posted:

Doesn't ASP.NET's WebMethod feature already do that?
That's limited to ASP.NET Xml Web Services or something and is only designed to handle stuff like an Ajax call, where the browser actively requests data from the server. SignalR/now/etc allow you to actually push data from the server to the client, using various Comet techniques.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
I've been suffering from a heavy bout of pneumonia recently and I'm finally at the stage where I have at least *some* energy to be active. It still costs quite a lot of energy to wrap my head around the coding and architecture I normally do at work, but I still wanted to flex my coding muscle (:smug:) and play around with Knockout, NodeJS and...well, Commodore 64.

During my recovery (sorry for sounding so E/N) I've been reading a few issues of Retro Gamer and just enjoying Commodore 64 nostalgia. So what better way to combine all this then to:

Build a sprite editor using Javascript and NodeJS:

And showing that sprite in WinVICE:

Now if only I could improve my drawing skills...

Sagacity
May 2, 2003

the wizards beard posted:

This is really cool. I've been playing with c64 recently as well, if you found any good references it would be great if you could share them.
The All About Your c64 series is quite good. Also, some of the stuff on Codebase64 although some of the things are simply wrong (e.g. the bitpattern of sprites).

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
I posted a week or two ago about my c64 sprite editor. I've been doing some more c64 development in the evening, and look at this:

It's a 20x12 map (surrounded by debug information) showing an implementation of the A* algorithm. It's not particularly speedy, taking about 1 second to calculate the path, but since it is iterative I can probably get away with using it in a game if I amortize the cost over a whole bunch of frames. Whee!

Sagacity
May 2, 2003

Internet Janitor posted:

Sagacity: That's pretty rad. In that kind of situation I'd be tempted to go with a simple flood-fill algorithm over A* because A* normally involves maintaining more complex data structures. Care to go into some detail about your implementation?

But flood-fill would probably take even more time. The implementation is fairly straightforward, I basically implemented the "Summary of the A* Method" from here. I have 5 things that I need to store per tile: G (the number of steps from the start), cost (G + H), the open list, the closed list and the tile's parent. Because my map is 20 * 12 this takes 240 bytes per list, so it's 1200 bytes in total, which is okay.

Most of the time goes into adding and removing things from the open list. Removing a tile means shifting all subsequent tiles back, which takes a bit of time. So instead of adding tiles to the list, I'm thinking about doing something like openList[tileOffset] = true;

That would mean it would take longer to find the lowest cost 'open list' tile though, because traversing would increase in complexity. Oh well. :)

Edit: Yep, the "openList[tileOffset] = true" approach works quite well. It allows me to combine open and closed lists by just saying that "list[offset] = 1" means it's on the open list, and "2" means it's on the closed list. So it saves me 240 bytes as well. Now if only I could avoid the expensive step of finding the lowest cost somehow...

Grab the demo here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/512956/astar.prg
Press firebutton in joystick in port 2 to advance through a few routes.

Sagacity fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Feb 10, 2012

Sagacity
May 2, 2003

cuatro posted:

if your using C++ use a heap
Thanks, but I'm using 6502 assembler :science:

Sagacity
May 2, 2003

Cowcatcher posted:

> brush teeth
- With what?

Sagacity
May 2, 2003

musclecoder posted:

I just launched my first startup/product - Accthub.

From your FAQ: "This question has been asked a lot frequently". Isn't that what usually happens with questions that are asked a lot?

Also, I don't think you should talk about "getting acquired" at all, btw. The primary focus of that page is to explain what your site does and to be frank I've read it a few times now and I'm still a bit confused as what the hell it is your doing. What I can see it seems to be account management and I'm not sure why I would want to use accthub to do that. What's the added value for me?

Sagacity
May 2, 2003

musclecoder posted:

(see the recent Sparrow hullabaloo as an example).

Most of these high-profile acquisitions are still flukes, and I think they typically happen when you have a larger userbase than you currently have. I see where you're coming from, but I feel that your homepage copy *at this point* should not be deviating from the main point: Selling your product.

musclecoder posted:

Basically, the idea is this: say you're building a mobile app that requires users to register and you need to store their data in a central server (a fitness tracking app might be a perfect example).
Okay, maybe add that as an example to your homepage. Also, I think you should probably play up the concept of "Account Attributes" some more. Because these attributes turn your Account Management API into a more general User Information API. For your fitness tracking app you could store data for the user's best lap times and that kind of thing.

Otherwise it might seem that Accthub is *just* for account management and nothing else and quite frankly every app developer is going to want to store more than just general account data of people (otherwise, what's the point of having accounts in the first place)?

Sagacity
May 2, 2003

musclecoder posted:

I really have no idea what I would do if some big company came knocking with a boatload of money.
You'll think of something! :bubblewoop:

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
As I mentioned in the other thread as well (or maybe failed to articulate correctly, come to think of it), is that it feels very lightweight. There's a lot of talk on the site, but if all it does is just track users with some attributes, then that could be useful for mobile developers who just want to add quick account management to their application. However, I don't see anyone running this on their own servers.

In a very concrete way, why would anyone use this system over, say, Active Directory or LDAP? Moreover, when I'm doing ecommerce using an off-the-shelf solution or a custom solution, wouldn't I have user management already anyway? How much time and effort would it take me to convert everything to use your REST API?

These are the kind of questions that your website leaves unanswered. It talks about how "exciting" Accthub is, but not why I'd want to use it. I mean, one of your bullet points is that you use bcrypt to hash passwords. Is that *really* one of the most exciting features of your system?

Sorry if I come off harsh, btw! I certainly wish you the best of luck with this, but right now Accthub seems very light on features and I think that's one of the reasons you're seeing low adoption.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003

musclecoder posted:

LDAP or ActiveDirectory would be used for the employees of your company, Accthub would be for the customers on your companies product(s).
I've seen people use these systems for products as well. Apart from that though, your specific example is that you had these custom ecommerce websites that you had to completely redeploy if you found a bug in your user account management.

Other companies will tend to a) use an off-the-shelf all in one ecommerce solution, b) have their user management set up in a separate component anyway or c) have a semi-hacky solution.

Your target audience seems to be mostly c), right? I mean, companies that have a lot of hassle with their custom hacky solution and want to replace it with a clean component. I personally feel this is going to be the most difficult audience to sell your product to (if they knew what they were doing they probably had a clean solution already) and, on top of that, you also need them to convert their code to use Accthub, which will mean a LOT of support. It might work if you also provide consultancy along with it, so that it becomes more a "we come in and replace your account management tools and it'll look like THIS" [cue presentation of fancy dashboard graphics]

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Lots of that music is used without attribution, from demoscene guys. Check out www.chiptune.com.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003

Suspicious Dish posted:

So, let me ask you guys: did you understand the material? Or was everything perfect? Should I write less for the next article? Write more? Did I spend too much on basic stuff everybody already knows and then when we got to the complex stuff, "the bottom fell out" and you lost me? Any technical questions left after reading that?
It's a decent read. My background has traditionally been in low-level DOS (later Win32) pixel pushing so to see how everything started on the Unix side is quite interesting.

One thing that you didn't explain, but maybe that's also outside the scope of your articles, is why certain decisions were made in the first place. For instance, why have an X Server? Why not "just" do more stuff locally? Were the clients traditionally very slow framebuffer-only devices, or is there more reasoning behind it all?

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
I'm sorry, I should rephrase: I was under the impression that the server was historically run on another, more powerful, machine than the clients, but I may have misunderstood.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003

darkpool posted:

I have a whole load of stories about this thing, I could elaborate forever.
Please do! It looks very interesting. What kind of codebase is it, for instance?

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Gah, amazing. I've been working with Haxe for my simple little game as well and I must say I really enjoy it. It's pretty well thought-out and it truly is cross-platform. I would expect having an HTML5 engine embedded in Chromium would've been tricky as hell to get working correctly though, especially when you need to communicate UI events to it.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
I read it because it's typically a good place to find new stuff. Can you recommend a less bitter place?

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
I picked up a book at a fleamarket around 1996 which does a really good job of explaining all the details needed to build a raycaster.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Steckles, you could investigate span buffers if you want to get rid of overdraw but with better cache usage.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
I've always dabbled in the demoscene and one thing I never got around to building was a GUI that allowed me to create a node graph with every node containing properties that could potentially be animated. The graph is something I could then use to render my demo.

This is what I have so far, after about 1.5 week of hacking in my spare time:

I can create and remove nodes and connections, cut, copy and paste them. Also a node can have editable properties (no animation yet).

It's been pretty fun to work on. I'm using C++11 for the core engine and I've built the UI using Qt5 and QtQuick which is really insanely powerful. Having done a lot of frontend Javascript for my dayjob (using Knockout) it's delightful to be able to have MVVM and two-way bindings in my native application as well. Also, thanks to CMake I'm developing on Windows but I've been able to get it to build on Ubuntu as well.

Not sure when I get around to building an actual demo yet. There's no rendering *at all* yet, it's just the node graph. But at least the foundation is pretty solid. Having unique_ptr and move semantics to clearly manage object ownerships is great.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Neurion: That's awesome! It makes me feel like a kid again :)

In my spare time for the last year or so (an evening a week) I've been working on a node- and timeline editor. It should eventually start rendering stuff but for now you can just connect and group nodes, animate properties and so on. Progress is slow, but steady!

Sagacity
May 2, 2003

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

Neat. What's the GUI toolkit you're using?
It's Qt5. If you want to play around the code is up on Github, but no guarantees it'll work for you :)

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
I was just wondering, is the sound programming one of the things you're just interested in tinkering with and did you also take a look at libraries like this? I used to use this when it was still called Midas Sound System, afterwards replaced it with something called Indoor Sound System (by the guy that did Cubic Player) but for some reason I can't find that lib anywhere.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
When I was doing demoscene coding in the late 90's (right before accelators became widely used) this article really helped me out. Basically anything by Paul Nettle around that time was gold. This article gives a basis for a pretty accurate (perspective-correct) rasterizer and I think it's a good starting point if you want to do more complicated things.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
I've been working on a sprite multiplexer for the Commodore 64. It has eight hardware sprites by default. However, because the screen is built up from top to bottom you can deceive its video chip: Let's say we draw 8 sprites in the top half of the screen. If the electron beam of the display is halfway down the image you can then move the sprites to the bottom half of the screen and, as the video chip continues drawing, it will draw *these* eight sprites too! Well, do that with a bunch more elaborate timing (that's the color bars you see, they are for debugging purposes) and you get a 24 sprite multiplexer. Fun!

Sagacity
May 2, 2003

TheresaJayne posted:

A friend and I once did a mod player in Pascal on a PC, and a little trick we did was added a surround sound option by taking the channel Left and Right mixed to mono then inverted the right channel...
Which player was this?

Sagacity
May 2, 2003

TheresaJayne posted:

Sorry for the delay, we didnt release it anywhere - this was prior to the internet being a thing,

His mum owned the local computer shop where i was buying my floppies from.
Ok, no problem! I was just asking because a friend of mine worked on Inertia Player which was pretty popular back in the day.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
It would be great to have something based on this :)

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
It was some Amiga magazine coverdisk at one point, I believe. It's really fun to play and I wish the concept would be extended :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
I personally compose all my loops in the key of s