Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

coldfire07 posted:

This is AWESOME! Where's the link to download??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

coldfire07 posted:

Not quite ready for release yet, I'm still working on this. This coming week is my Spring Break, so hopefully I'll be able to have a first version released by then so I can start working out some kinks/bugs I'm not seeing as well as add user suggestions. If you want to request something specific here, I could start to implement it now (if I like your idea :v:)

I'll make a thread about it once it's at that point :)

Awesome!

One feature that came to mind is keeping track of how many times and when the last time a file was viewed, that way you can easily keep track of what episode you're on in a TV series, or see a list of movies you haven't seen in awhile.

Also, being able to click on an actor/director and browse other things you have by that person would be awesome.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Not UNIX posted:

This is less of a project and more just killing time, but I thought it was kind of neat. I'm trying to apply some optimizations to a simple Mandelbrot app. The pixels in red are the ones it decides it does not need to calculate.

Click on image for app (Flash 9); in app, click to zoom. Zooming is limited by AS3's Number precision, which is 64 bits and I suck at reading documentation.

That's pretty drat neat!

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

numeric_atrophy posted:

My iPhone game is finally finished. First game ever. I feel all tingly.

Spaceballs
http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=312145716&mt=8

Dude, this is awesome. Just grabbed it on my iPhone and it's pretty fun! I'm a huge Bust-A-Move fan so this was right up my alley. I hadn't played any of those other games you mentioned in the description before. Nice job, voted 5!

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
That is pretty neat! Can you go into more detail about the object recognition?

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Super Awesome Volume Visualizer

:golfclap:

What does raw CT scan data look like?

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

heeen posted:

View dependent subdivision surfaces with displacement mapping.

NERD ALERT

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

HauntedRobot posted:

I can't go into why this is significant, but it is :)

It must be important if it has jpg artifacts.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

antpocas posted:

I'm curious, why are you displaying the waveform as if it were a record? A digital interface isn't constrained by the limitations of physical media.

Maybe it's a loop? I saw DJ Shadow live (it was loving amazing) and he creates loops while he's mixing by putting masking tape on the records, so when it spins around the tape bumps the needle back to the start of the loop. I know nothing about mixing music so I'm probably way off here, but that's what I was reminded of when I saw the waveform curved in a loop like that, with the red line being that piece of masking tape.

fletcher fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Apr 12, 2010

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

shrughes posted:

Seems obvious to me.

It wasn't obvious to me at all.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

HFX posted:

Good luck with that. I could write a thesis on why you won't see this happen, but once again I'd open myself up to termination and litigation. I really need to find a new job.

See my above redacted post.

Can you talk about what some of the limitations to making a snappy UI on those set top boxes are? Every single one I have used has been pretty slow and clunky, except for the TiVo one, but that was back in standard def days. Haven't used their HD stuff.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Pardot posted:

Been working on this for a while, but just launched the other week. http://merge.fm

Github for music.

This is a very cool idea and it looks great, nice work!

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

shrughes posted:

There is already a sufficient difference between this app and Safari that makes me want to use this app. How should I change this app so that it will pass review?

HN works fine on mobile safari, why does every webpage need an iphone app? (not to mention there are already two unnecessary HN apps on the app store)

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

UraniumAnchor posted:

If it's written in JS which it looks like it is, it'll probably run better in FF4, also.

I can't get it to run on this netbook at any kind of playable framerate even in chrome so I'll have to try it again when I get home.

It runs extremely choppy on FF4 for me, basically unplayable. Smooth as butter in Chrome though.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

benitocereno posted:

I haven't really researched the effectiveness of programming while drunk and listening to music, but I imagine it's some sort of bell-curve.

http://xkcd.com/323/

How come winforms over WPF?

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

shodanjr_gr posted:

I'm pretty sure that formats like JPG have markers scattered throughout the image defining different compression segments and a bunch of other magical stuff (had to read through the JPEG spec once, it wasn't fun).

If you mess those up and the image hosting service is trying to parse the image to generate thumbnails (or just to verify it for whatever reason) I can see them being rejected...

Maybe try the random fuzzing, check to see if the result is a valid jpg, and if it's not, try a different random fuzzing. It's gotta get a valid one eventually right?

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Biowarfare posted:

I mean literally just use that search string. Google's API also returns the same thing.

It'll give you the external IP it finds without the BS of the others, and really doubt it's ever going to go down.

In addition to whatismyip.org and Google you might as well fetch the results from a few others and compare them :tinfoil:. If all of them go down it won't matter because the world is probably ending.

fletcher fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Nov 9, 2011

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Nition posted:

Actually, the cool thing I've just implemented is randomly-generated music, which you can hear in action in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoMn_FWKmi4

Really, really awesome, nice work! What happens if you don't land on a platform? :ohdear:

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Cowcatcher posted:

On the bonus side, in lots of places in Europe they're legally not allowed to contact your previous employer and ask about you

Really?? That seems like such an essential part of the process over here in the states

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Surface posted:

Some (a bit out date) Eve-Trader changes.

I don't play Eve, but this looks really awesome. What are you using to draw the charts? What's the server side stack look like?

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Surface posted:

Thank you, most of the charts are currently powered by Highcharts with a few being drawn by Jquery Sparkline. I have been playing with D3 and Flot for a while and may switch everything over to them.

If you haven't seen it Datavisualization.ch is worth checking out-- its a grid of different visualization libraries, it may not be all inclusive but it's pretty cool.

On the backend the web stack looks roughly like:

Linux
Nginx
Gunicorn
Python/Django
Mysql (Being phased out)
MongoDB
Redis (Memcache being phased out)

And the streaming market data processing stack:

ZeroMQ (python ZMQ)
Redis
Python/Celery
Mongodb

Really cool stuff man. Thanks for that data visualizations link, lots of libraries in there I had never heard of. I'm working on my first real Python project that has a similar looking stack. Who are you using for hosting? How do you handle deployment of a new version? Was there a particular reason for Django over Pylons/CherryPy/Flask/etc? How come both MongoDB and Redis? They seem like they solve a similar problem but I'm not terribly familiar with them.

Also, are you monetizing this thing at all, or is it more of a hobby/labor of love? It looks so slick and professional, the folks over at CCP Games must have been pretty impressed if they've seen this.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Sir Davey posted:

Well, I can finally easily compose on my Xylophone playing robot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdsUyoQw_Ho&hd=1

I just need to optimize a few parameters. I'm also waiting on an engineer who is making new hands for me. They should hit the bars in a more natural way, which will dramatically improve the sound. Enjoy!

Way awesome!! It's always so fun to program something that makes something move in real life, rather than just pixels on the screen. Now all you need is a head with some googly eyes on it and a giant spring for a neck, so he (she?) just carelessly wobbles about while serenading us.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Literally Elvis posted:

I didn't mean to come off as douchey or arrogant or anything. I'm just not sure if something goofy like this has any real appeal to employers.

I got my current job by showing them The Awful Yearbook. Showing them a "successful" project that you completed on your own is a great thing for a resume or interview, I don't think it matters if it's kinda goofy.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
You're on HackerNews!

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

AntiPseudonym posted:

I use SVN because it's worked for me so far in the past and I'm too old and lazy to bother changing.

What I terrible mentality to have...

The things that you can do with git make you so much more capable as a developer. You really should spend the 30 minutes or whatever that it takes to learn the basics.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

clockwork automaton posted:

So I'm 'releasing' my game next Thursday on itch.io so I decided I needed to spend some time making a stupid trailer for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5HSIGDc5pU

Congratulations! Looks awesome.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

TheresaJayne posted:

That is actually a good question, whats the best hosting for spring/java/mysql websites?

It depends on so many factors. How much you're willing to pay, how much time you want to spend managing it, how much traffic you're getting, is there a chance the site can blow up and you need to scale with it, etc. My default answer would be EC2, but it's probably overkill for a lot of things. And it's not trivial to use, you will need to invest some time in learning how to use AWS.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

hendersa posted:

I don't think that people realize how much work it is to do this kind of stuff.

I'm in awe every time you post about this project, it is really incredible

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Presenting my amazing new website I just launched: https://rightclicksaveas.net/

It's not the most useful thing in the world by any means. In fact, I can't remember the last time I got a link that I needed to use something like this. I bought this domain name in 2008 and used to have a similar page hosted on it. Decided to set it up again and use terraform to handle all the s3 & cloudfront stuff, automatically deployed upon git push via Bitbucket pipeline, which I can then re-use for a couple other little static sites I want to host. This was the guinea pig for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

leper khan posted:

I don't think this will do the thing you want.

Personal projects can go a long way in the job hunt. I know it's different at every organization, but where I work they are certainly valued. Hell I showed off https://awfulyearbook.com/ during my interview. It probably would have been good if there wasn't a user purchased banner ad during my demo that just had gently caress YOU in big flashing letters.