Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Are the caustics just random, or are they actually calculated based on the surface normals?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I think that errors sometimes look more interesting than the expected results.

Click here for the full 1296x758 image.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I get a single white pixel with both Firefox 3.5 and Chrome. However I'm really digging the pictures.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

That looks neat. When you say you are ending the triangle strip, are you manipulating the geometry in shader code?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

My current weekend project is one of those procedural planet things.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kx_4EmlQiyQ

That video shows 1/6 of a sphere. Each of those squares is a 65x65 piece of the mesh. The terrain is generated using Perlin noise on demand. As you can see, I've got a ways to go before it starts looking like a planet.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

danishcake posted:

That was really impressive - did the color indicate different detail levels paging in and out?

Thanks. And yep, that's what's going on there. The detail levels are paged from system memory to video memory. I assign a random color when initializing the GPU resources.

I'm hoping to have real textures soon-ish. I'm working on a way to create procedural textures from XML files.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

HauntedRobot posted:

Minecraft clone.

What a buildup.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Playing around with GPU generated Perlin noise...

Click here for the full 1280x720 image.

Click here for the full 1296x758 image.

Fun stuff, I tell ya.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Strumpy posted:

Very nice! How are you generating the 'noise' on the GPU and what is your texture output resolution? I'm really interested in this as I am making some procedural planets and this is the kind of thing I want to end up with! If you would like to share your methods I'd be super happy!

Thanks. Right now the noise function is being sampled at each pixel fragment per frame in the pixel shader. I'm going to change it later to render once to a texture. I can render ~10 octaves of noise at 1680x1050 at around 400fps. It seems really fast.

I copied most of the ugly stuff from GPU Gems. You should look at this article. There's a link somewhere on that site for the source code and optimized version. I've also got a blog at jetaylor.net you might be interested in. (You may be the only one. It gets like 0 traffic.)

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

seregrail7 posted:

Myself and a friend have been working on a game for the past 2 months. We're submitting it to Dream Build Play this Wednesday.

This looks like the game everyone in undergraduate CS wanted to make, but didn't have the time or talent to. Very nice!

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Pardot posted:

Rails and couchdb

I'm really happy that we've gotten to a point where you can't tell what framework a website is built on any more.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Doh004 posted:

I don't understand anything about what you've just posted.

I'm losing weight just looking at those images.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ECA_stack

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Cowcatcher posted:

That is pretty sweet, but what does it do?

What does this look like? "Post explanations of stuff you're working on"?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Dolex posted:

Kinect + Projector + predator prey flocking algorithms = good times had by all.

This sounds like it would be neat in motion. Any chance of a video?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Vanadium posted:

Yeah I was just scrolling down this thread and idly wondering why someone would post a picture of their flooded kitchen in CoC...

"Man, those are some ugly green plastic chairs... oh! It's a raytracing!"

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Clavius posted:

It's cool as gently caress

That's a fair assessment. I like how responsive it feels compared to other sites I've used in the past.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Luigi Thirty posted:

to the iPhone:

Hah. I joked about making this on the LCs last night.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Roflex posted:

it involved a really faraway camera and a really narrow FOV

You could just use an orthographic projection, unless you're going for an "almost orthographic" effect like you see in Blizzard games.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Roflex posted:

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the Ortho view but the way I did it, it's still 3d/perspective at the core, allowing free view from any angle.

You can still rotate things and move the camera around with an orthographic projection. It's pretty trippy.

Take Fez for example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--gpfYwo5a4

Note the spinning logo at the end.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

It might work as a header only font? Use something a little less stylized (i.e. more readable) for the content.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Steampunk Hitler posted:

Got bored and started working on a Chrome extension that uses Twitter's bootstrap to style the forums. So far I have the index page mostly there. http://imgur.com/a/Bo8OI

Course since it's a chrome extension the responsiveness doesn't actually help anybody, but hey boredom.

I love bootstrap, despite the side-effect that every page it touches ends up looking exactly the same.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

oiseaux morts 1994 posted:

Is that... QuickBasic?

I hear it's making a comeback in the rails community.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

The same could be said for your dev environment.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Fozzle posted:

The idea was a "crowdsourced" text adventure, where people could branch the story themselves and others could pursue and extend those branches.

I remember there being several sites that did this in the mid 90s. Worked about as well as you described.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I guess it would make more sense to me if you just said up front that it is a hosted data store with a REST endpoint. Unless it does something different.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

steckles posted:

I wrote some thin film interference code for simulating soap bubbles and anti-reflective coatings.

My co-worker just asked if that was a photo when I sent it to him.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Clavius posted:

Some of yall might remember the little zelda-ish JS game engine I posted a while back. Well I kinda spent a ridiculous amount of time rebuilding it from the ground up with a crazy editor and proper zelda 3 graphics and stuff. Here's how the game looks:

That is pretty swanky. I remember writing something similar using in c++ back in college, but your implementation is much nicer. I like the little circle mask effect you have when you go in a cave.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Sir Davey posted:

In europe we do Résumés a little differently. We need to give this sort of information (marital status, if you have kids, etc..) and a headshot is commonplace.

éuropé sounds lovely. What's the headshot used for? Throwing out candidates who are ugly?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

steckles posted:

I took a bit of artistic license, if the word artistic can be used in the same sentence as the Zybourne Clock, because I thought the word looked better without the 'u'.

That's the largest version I rendered, but I could do a wallpaper sized one if people wanted it. I could even do classic spelling if there was popular demand.

I would use that wallpaper. Spelling as you have it.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

steckles posted:

1920x1200 wallpaper sized clock, with classic spelling. Use it in good health.

Thanks!

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

multivac posted:

Implemented marching cubes in Unity engine.

Second link is broken. Which is too bad because I get off on 3D cubes.

Edit: Works now. Guess Imgur was just being bad. Looks great!

akadajet fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Nov 15, 2012

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

HappyHippo posted:

Crosspost from the game thread: here's a browser based game in the style of Scorched Earth I'm working on using javascript/html5. It seems to work best in chrome. Any comments or suggestions are welcome!

I have a suggestion. Socket.IO multiplayer. I'm messing around with it right now and it's pretty easy to work with.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

What is that music you use in your videos?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Orzo posted:

Nope, never heard of it until now. But judging from the screenshots, some of the graphics are very LTTP inspired if I'm not mistaken.

Yeah. It was "Zelda Online" around '98. At some point they decided the best course of action would be to trace over the assets and call it Graal.

Edit: Huh... I still have a screenshot laying around of the original version.

akadajet fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jan 23, 2013

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Suspicious Dish posted:

Horray for Backups

Indeed. :downs:

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

biochemist posted:

Someone in IRC mentioned building snake as a good exercise to learn a new language- I'm pretty familiar with JavaScript but I want to learn more Object Oriented style. Also, I've never worked with Canvas before so-

Not that this is vital to the game itself, but you may want to be aware that the webfont you're using doesn't render well in Windows.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Orzo posted:

Added some font stuff.

Love it. Are you going to support variable width characters and kerning pairs?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Orzo posted:

Yes, I was pointed to BMFont as a tool to help generate font textures with kerning pairs and will likely be using that.

Used that exact tool in the past. It's pretty nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

fletcher posted:

It depends on so many factors. How much you're willing to pay, how much time you want to spend managing it, how much traffic you're getting, is there a chance the site can blow up and you need to scale with it, etc. My default answer would be EC2, but it's probably overkill for a lot of things. And it's not trivial to use, you will need to invest some time in learning how to use AWS.

Knowing AWS basics may also be a good thing to have in your back pocket since it's used everywhere now.