Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

_Gumby posted:

I wrote this when I was bored over the weekend, it takes netflow/ipfix data, uses a geoip database to determine location of source/destination ip addresses, then draws a nice little visualisation of the data traveling. Its absolutely useless, but the higher-ups at my workplace thought it was super awesome, so that's always nice..

It looks a lot nicer when its animating...

where do you work, fellow perthie?

edit: missed the last page. Cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

This is kinda shameful (and definitely a plain looking screenshot) compared to some of the awesome work other people are doing, but it's the first thing in a while that's not some terrible enterprise program so I thought I'd post it.

It uses the Battle.net public API to grab the current dump of your realm's current auction house status every time it updates (usually 1 per hour) and then tell you which auctions listed by your characters have sold or expired.

As a bonus I added in a check for any auctions that are currently listed for less than vendor price and put in a little link you can click on to buy them out for some extra free money.

Probably the only thing I really learnt on this simple project was how to format D&D-style gold.silver.copper amounts.

C# code:
public NumberFormatInfo Gold = new NumberFormatInfo { 
NumberGroupSizes = new[] { 2, 2, 0 }, NumberGroupSeparator = "." 
};

auction.buyout.ToString("#,#", Gold)

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Nov 20, 2012

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

peak debt posted:

Well the good thing about knee injuries that make you spend your entire holiday period at home is that you at least get work done. I always wanted to play around a little more with HTML5 and did the below in 6 days:

It's a solar eclipse simulator running the calculations off NASAs tables through Javascript then displaying an animation in SVG
http://exar.ch/solar-eclipses/

looks awesome!
Got a bug for you though. In Firefox at least, you cannot press Backspace or any of the arrow keys inside the year text input box. Forward Delete works fine.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Most contractor relationships are technically illegal in Australia but you'd have to complain to Fair Work or whatever to actually get anything done about it and most people like the increased hourly rate.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Jick Magger posted:

Welp I meant to post this yesterday, but forgot.

I spent last week implementing a Beatmania IIDX sim in html5 canvas, in celebration of 5/11 (5.1.1. is a "famous" song in the series, as it's been in all 20 versions of the game. Every year I try to make as big of a deal out of it as reasonably possible, because I think it's funny how not a real holiday it is to most people on Earth).
I'm kind of surprised there wasn't already a canvas music-game sim, at least none that I could find.

Command+Shift+4, Michael. :)

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Shalinor posted:

You're eventually going to redo the character sprite too, right?

It almost fits with some of the new tiles, but, it's still very obviously a painted-over Metroid sprite. Can't tell if it's final or not.

EDIT: Crossposting from the design thread. This took way longer than it should have, but I'm pretty dang proud of it. First time I've written a dialog system. Yes, that font needs to go. Doesn't really work :(

Have you considered a short delay between each speech bubble appearing?
It looks good, but it seems a little jarring when you ask a question but immediately get both a response and your character's next line on screen at the exact same time.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

X is a bit "unintuitive" in that the server is the user's crappy machine with the display, and the client is the powerful computer in the CS department basement.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

pokeyman posted:

Well that's cool as gently caress. Are you reverse engineering the format or is there some prior work on that?

There is a whole mod for Mario Kart Wii which adds a shitload of tracks from previous titles. The only reason I bring it up is so that everyone reading this might be on the same page if they weren't already.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

I realise it would probably hit the character limit earlier, but I think it would look neater if he said "Two thousand, six hundred and seventy nine, ah ah ah!"

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

aerique posted:

Hopping on the bandwagon to say this is awesome.

I've never understood why publishers do not have a special option or area for botting. It would help a lot with AI research or getting people interested in it and perhaps it could also make the games more interesting. I wrote a half-hearted blog post about it a few years ago: http://www.aerique.net/blog/2012/04-06-open-letter-to-online-game-developers-allow-bots.html

Being able to write bots and pit them against each other or other players for f.e. StarCraft 2 or World of Warcraft would be so cool.

I realize there's projects and older games this can be done for but IMHO being able to do it for current games without the fear of losing one's account would be a big plus.

I believe Supreme Commander let you code your own AI in lua and run AI vs. AI bot matches.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Gul Banana posted:

working on an open source game lets you get the high of 'press button, thing happens' without having to put in all the effort!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvtwyW32t00

The new Escape Velocity is shaping up to be a real monster.

<googles endless sky>

Huh! Awesome!

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Man, I'm jealous that your dad sprung for the optional MPEG1 decoder card.

I can't play VCDs on our family computer and have to play the low res edition of Return To Zork. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Reminds me of when game engines first started to do bump mapping shaders and every single wall had to be made of pitted/bulbous stonework.