Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pfhreak
Jan 30, 2004

Frog Blast The Vent Core!

shrughes posted:

Ok, now the Hacker News reader analyzes differences and highlights new comments posted since the last time you visited the thread.

A usability note, I couldn't notice anything highlighted here.

Edit: Oh wait, that center comment is slightly whiter, I see it now. Might want to make that more obvious?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pfhreak
Jan 30, 2004

shrughes posted:

Seems obvious to me.

Also, the programmer always considers their own solutions to be usable. I didn't mean to step on toes or anything, just providing my experience with it.

Pfhreak
Jan 30, 2004

I've been toying with building a procedural terrain generation system.

Please excuse the texturing, the pixel shader was something slapdash to try and avoid the heightmap stretching on the y axis and the textures were more or less the first result for sand, rock, and grass.

It works by first generating noise (diamond square or perlin), smoothing the result, and mixing it with a Veroni diagram. Then it simulates rainfall across the mesh, resulting in some flatter areas and general smoothing, while accentuating the cliffs. Another smoothing pass or three to get rid of the artifacts of the erosion, and voila.

On my quad core machine, this process takes about 10 seconds to build a 1024x1024 quad mesh. I've also got it stitching together many such generated areas together, and I've let it build areas up to 8096x8096.

I've also got some picking of the terrain (using binary search, no linear search yet) and some highlighting of the terrain.

Pfhreak
Jan 30, 2004

DeathBySpoon posted:

I've been working on a level editor for a currently nonexistent Metroidvania game in XNA. All of the terrain is polygon based, and at the moment I can draw arbitrary shapes and the editor will triangulate it for drawing and collision. I can also toggle the grid and move vertices that have already been placed. Next up, brushes, and then I get to start on materials :D

How are you dealing with physics and the long, narrow triangles? I had a friend who built something similar and ran into trouble when the triangles became extreme.

Also, I'd love to learn about the algorithm you used to build that. What's it called?

Pfhreak
Jan 30, 2004

Sebbe posted:

I've been working a bit on some sorting algorithm visualization, á la these Java ones.

It's done in Python with PyGame, available on github if you're curious; or you could just watch an example of it running quicksort without having to download anything:

I've always enjoyed watching sorting algorithms at work.

Pfhreak
Jan 30, 2004

ChirreD posted:

I'm wondering the same thing myself.

Here's a fun little augmented reality project I've been working on for a magazine.
http://vimeo.com/12729274
Made in Flash

Awesome. I love AR so much. I really need to get with the program and start putting together some AR demos. Got any good resources to get me started?

Pfhreak
Jan 30, 2004

I've been working on a boids implementation in Actionscript as a learning tool, and tonight I got some compound behaviors working.

My boids are starting to swarm! Currently they are mixing wandering and seeking the mouse, but I hope to have the traditional separate, align, cohesion behaviors complete soon. They are just too much fun to watch!

Pfhreak
Jan 30, 2004

What's the significance of the colors in the boxes across the middle? At first I thought it was red for bad, green for good. But I'd think Missing RDA = 0 would be good.

Pfhreak
Jan 30, 2004

Dolex posted:

As long as you do not shop at Walmart you have nothing to fear from EYE.

You need to implement non-human pupils. Like goat's pupils with their rounded rectangle, or cat's pupils that narrow to a slit. That would make the whole experience significantly more otherworldly.

Pfhreak
Jan 30, 2004

Couple of my friends have been hosting a movie night for a few years now, I figured it's the perfect opportunity to stay fresh with Django by creating a living record of the movies they've watched.

Here's the page for each 'event' which features info from the movie, as well as still frames and art. Each of the actors is a clickable link showing where else that actor has made an appearance at movie night.
(Are we allowed to break tables in this thread?)

Meanwhile, I thought, I've got this cool data source! What can I do with it? I've started by building radar charts based on the genres of the movie in HTML5:

This was all built over the weekend, and it's been a real interesting project.

Pfhreak
Jan 30, 2004

Ephphatha posted:

What is the graph meant to show? Frequency of each type of movie (ordered radially by something)?

Yep, a bigger spike means more frequent.

Pfhreak
Jan 30, 2004

Griffith86 posted:

Eventually yeah, I'm already planning for that I was just getting the rough idea down then I was going to go back and make adjustments for it.

Also, you may want to be more deliberate in your use of color. For example, red indicates both void and pay, which are opposite actions, right? Blue means options and list products? The lines in the payment area seem to blur/smunge together.

Pfhreak
Jan 30, 2004

Looks like a Marathon map, doesn't it? WELL IT IS! Rendered on a HTML5 canvas element from a JSON representation of the map. I wrote a program to convert Marathon maps out of their binary format into a JSON service (well, technically just a JSON file now, eventually a service).

Next step is seeing if I can't get them to render in 3d. If I can do that, then maybe I can port Alephone to the web.

Pfhreak
Jan 30, 2004

I continue to crack away at Marathon's map format in my spare time. I now render it using actual WebGL calls (gl.drawElements) rather than 2D canvas calls. Also, I can read the polygon type (water, platform, etc.) and respond accordingly. I'm incorrectly rendering secret doors, landscaped textured polys, and a few other things, but it's a solid first cut I think.

I have the first cut at getting the lines in, but again, it's a first cut. I'm not properly ignoring lines between similar elevations, or the bolding the lines on the edge of the map.

Exploring all this is incredibly cool and rewarding. WebGL is surprisingly different than the version of OpenGL used in Aleph One which is forcing me to actually understand both the OpenGL and the WebGL. The fact that javascript isn't strongly typed is making the code considerably simpler -- that and I don't need to hack in support for different platforms or SDL.

Pfhreak
Jan 30, 2004

pianoSpleen posted:

Hi there! I've actually done a custom source port of Marathon before; if you're interested I can share my experience with you. Give me a yell if you are :)

Yes, yes I am. You don't have the PMs, however. What's a good way to get in touch?

Pfhreak
Jan 30, 2004

This is the first thing I saw:

Also, the purple backdrop behind the text doesn't really match the cartoony style you have going elsewhere.

vv : I like the ball of yarn too, it just immediately reminded me of the Chrome logo.

Pfhreak fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Apr 27, 2012

Pfhreak
Jan 30, 2004

Pfhreak posted:

I continue to crack away at Marathon's map format in my spare time. I now render it using actual WebGL calls (gl.drawElements) rather than 2D canvas calls. Also, I can read the polygon type (water, platform, etc.) and respond accordingly. I'm incorrectly rendering secret doors, landscaped textured polys, and a few other things, but it's a solid first cut I think.

I have the first cut at getting the lines in, but again, it's a first cut. I'm not properly ignoring lines between similar elevations, or the bolding the lines on the edge of the map.

Exploring all this is incredibly cool and rewarding. WebGL is surprisingly different than the version of OpenGL used in Aleph One which is forcing me to actually understand both the OpenGL and the WebGL. The fact that javascript isn't strongly typed is making the code considerably simpler -- that and I don't need to hack in support for different platforms or SDL.

It's been a while since I posted my progress on this, but here's the latest screenshot:

You'll see I now can render the level geometry, texture it, and apply lighting to it. Getting the lights to behave just like they did in the original engine took a little bit of doing, so I went ahead and recorded a (crappy low quality) video of them in action:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8Me6KZQ-iw New higher quality video!

Aleph one allows for each surface to be painted with a light index (see 0-25 above), and before I had them applied to surfaces, I rendered them to HTML elements below my canvas. 0-20 are predefined 5% increments, but above that there are pulsing lights, strobes, and flickering lights.

Pfhreak fucked around with this message at 16:59 on May 4, 2012

Pfhreak
Jan 30, 2004

Maluco Marinero posted:

Yeah, the context is a bit different. This is considered more of an editing and review page, setting up the plan. The operating hours is a value that they can keep up to date on the overview page (not implemented yet, that's on this weeks sprint). This is fairly standard fare on ships, every day you do rounds and update your numbers. Instead of a paper form it goes on a computer. They only really have to do it weekly anyway. The meat of the action is in the overview page (last shot I promise, then I'll take it to the web thread):

Your usage of dates is inconsistent. For past due items you use "<number of days> days". For future items you use "<day of the month> <name of day of the week>".

So I go from 1 day overdue to 1st Friday. It's a bit jarring. Might want to go with a consistent <X> days on either side and perhaps include the day of the week on the next line or something. (Or maybe include the day of the week only for events within the next 7 days.)

Pfhreak
Jan 30, 2004

I know it's been a long time since I posted anything on this. Been working with my employer on figuring out how to work on personal projects in a non-competitive way.

Good news is, been greenlit to keep going on my project -- a javascript/webgl port of Marathon Infinity.

I just got moving platforms working:

I tried to capture video, but every program I used lowered my framerates to poo poo. So you guys get a picture of a half open door. Next up is playing with the mouse capturing features of modern browsers or cleaning up my abuses of the GC.

Pfhreak
Jan 30, 2004

Mug posted:

Cross-posting from the Making Games Megathread just to say that holy poo poo it can be really hard making items on a 2D plane (the floating popup arrows) correctly align with an isometrically skewed plane. Took a couple of hours of tiny adjustments but it looks like they're lining up all good now.

Now that you've pointed it out, it seems like lots of things aren't lined up. The doors, the plants, the box in the bottom. The lines on the walls and the floor cells.

Pfhreak
Jan 30, 2004

Programmer Humor posted:

Here are some early graphics for my roguelike Dwarf Fortress clone.

If you figure out how to do tunneling/interior spaces well, let us all know. I have yet to play a 3D game that has been able to do this decently.

Pfhreak
Jan 30, 2004

Been working on assembling all the various bits and bobs to make a God/Sim game about colonizing Mars. Something in the vein of Dwarf Fortress or Evil Genius, but focusing on maintaining a healthy colony a long way from home in a hostile environment.

Anyhow, I've been working on laying the foundation -- behavior trees, game components, pathfinding, etc. I finally have something gamelike!

Here's the ugly map with a colonist (green square) carrying some steel to go build a brick press!

Speaking of the brick press, it's defined in a file like:
code:
{
  "components": {
    "render": {
      "element_name": "brick_press_blueprint.png"
    },
    "job": {
      "work_list": [
        { "tree_name": "Blueprints_brick_press"}
      ]
    }
  }
}
The buildings all define all the work that colonists can do, the colonist himself is pretty stupid and just takes orders from the building. Here's the one for the converting the blueprint into an actual building:

(I'm using Unity and Behave.)

Now the really fun stuff starts. :D

Pfhreak
Jan 30, 2004

Huragok posted:

Please tell me it's based on Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars Trilogy :allears:

That's one of the biggest inspirations. Basically that chapter, the Crucible, blew my mind years ago and I've always wanted it to be a game. That and things like the Global Village Construction Set (http://opensourceecology.org/wiki/Global_Village_Construction_Set). I love me some Science and Engineering.

Pfhreak
Jan 30, 2004

Shalinor posted:

How is Behave treating you?

I'm weighing the pros and cons of writing my own behavior tree system for Next Game, or using that. I'd just write my own, but having a UI-driven thingy would be kind of sweet.

If it didn't have that beautiful UI... The documentation is poor, at best. The entire thing is closed source, so there's no tweaking it to suit your needs. I have a class file (my Colonist agent) that is super bloated because every action/decorator is a set of functions on a class.

On the flip side, I'm delighted every time I wire up a behavior and it's as simple as dragging a few 'gather resource' nodes onto a window. Boom, new game entity. For me, it has high highs and low lows, and could use some love and attention (and some open source!)

Pfhreak
Jan 30, 2004

Maluco Marinero posted:

Nice find btw, I just bought this guy's album, he's got good stuff.

He does shows around Seattle, if you are in the neighborhood. They are incredible.

Pfhreak
Jan 30, 2004

Orzo posted:

I've been working on it steadily for a few months. Check some of the earlier blog posts from where I linked...the beginning of the blog is pretty much the beginning of development, so you can see it in its most primitive state (except for the first 2 weeks or so of development).

So far the 'hardest' part has been figuring out what I want to do with layers, believe of it or not. It sounds like a fairly simple aspect to development but getting something simple enough to make level design quick yet flexible enough to allow for arbitrary layering has been difficult.

When you say layers, are you talking visual layers or logical ones? (Like heights, etc.) When I peeled apart the Chrono Trigger ROM, I discovered that they had done something pretty clever with their layers. The player could walk on only 2 different height layers, A and B. If you were in layer A, layer B was solid, and vice versa. There were a number of different ways to transition the player between them, but the most obvious one was ramps that would just toggle which layer the player was on. So going up a complex mountainside was just switching the player back and forth between the A and B layers. It looks like a complex series of different heights visually, but it's all modeled as a single back and forth boolean switch. Pretty neat!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pfhreak
Jan 30, 2004

Cartesian_Duelist posted:

Auction site I'm making:

Make the pricing information more obvious. It's difficult to scan through now.