Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Glasscock
Apr 15, 2004

HOO-DAH!!! Fatal Wiimote blow to the face, 20 points!
A Processing game I was working on between college and getting a real job. Goal was to finish it and have something to show to game developers I was applying to. Didn't really have a design other than "I really liked the game Every Extend plus any game with chain reaction explosions are cool". As I worked on it I started to get gameplay ideas. Sadly they were never implemented because I stopped working on it once I got a job (didn't wind up working in the gaming industry either). Here are some screenshots:

(Click for big)

You are the green square, blue triangles are enemies. Over time more enemy groups spawn. Premise is to dodge guys until you can't last any longer or find the ideal time to detonate and cause a huge chain reaction. Project was stopped before I made detonation actually kill you (which is why player is always on screen).

It actually runs playable because Processing is using OpenGL to draw everything. All of the objects are drawn shapes (as opposed to sprites). I'm amazed it runs at all considering every shape is redrawn every frame. Despite the crude looking style, it looks pretty good in motion - explosions that expand quickly at the beginning and slower at the end of their lifespan (exponential ease out I guess, whichever one goes fast to slow), shifting hues based on chain reaction count, cheap frame blur. I've had a decent amount of fun just loving around with it too, I think it would make a fun little game.

I REALLY want to try and finish this. I've been looking through the code a bit lately, not a whole lot to it - shouldn't be too hard to pick up and work on more.

Dr. Glasscock fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Oct 1, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Glasscock
Apr 15, 2004

Ticketmaster also charges such bullshit prices for their "processing fees" or whatever. I understand they need to recoup their development costs and continue to maintain a company, but gently caress there's no way they have to charge that much. Cheap $20 tickets can double in price (I know some of that is related to the venue or something, but some is also Ticketmaster). I hate them so much.

Dr. Glasscock
Apr 15, 2004

friend of the family Goku posted:

Awesomeness

It doesn't look very exciting and I've never played Disgaea (I know about it though), but drat that's loving awesome. So what inspired you to make this?

Dr. Glasscock fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Jan 9, 2010

Dr. Glasscock
Apr 15, 2004

spinflip posted:

OceanEvolver.html

OceanEvolver is this simulated evolution project I've been toying with for fun. The 'genome' of the little worms is an assembly language program, and it mutates each generation.

The whole thing is built with Processing which is an incredible language for quick, visual programs like this. You code in essentially Java and it gives you easy access to graphics operations. The deeper you get, the more problems you run into (only a subset of OpenGL is provided, they use Java 1.4 or something, etc.), but overall I don't think you can beat how easy it is to use.

OceanEvolver is pretty awesome, I love A-Life stuff. The game I posted some number of pages back was also done in Processing. It's such a fun language to work with. I also wrote a flocking AI with it and it turned out pretty neat. So you're just doing it in your spare time for fun eh?

Dr. Glasscock
Apr 15, 2004

spinflip posted:

Yeah, Processing is awesome! I'm sure most people in this thread coded graphics projects when they were just picking up programming... I remember trying to create snow, making a stick man you could move around the screen, re-creating nibbles, etc. The hard part wasn't the logic, it was figuring out how to read an image, removing flicker, debugging screen coordinates, etc. I think Processing offers beginning programmers a nice environment between hello world and C++/OpenGL, and I hope it picks up for that.

I remember the game you posted and the glow effect looked great. How did you achieve it? Was it just semi-transparent shapes?

Thanks! Yeah, if you look at the shots you'll see they're just transparent ellipses. I spent a lot of time tweaking them until I was happy they looked sufficiently 'glowy'. The entire game is Processing drawing a shitton of shapes every frame. The only reason it's playable is because it's running with OpenGL (and oh god Processing makes that easy to do).

When I was working as a graduate assistant I actually proposed Processing to the Computer Science department as a good intro language. They had just switched to using Alice (UGGGHHH) for 1/4 of a semester before going to Java for 101 students. I had made some example projects that demonstrated how easy it is. For example I had a tiny square screen with a line in the middle. Move the mouse to the left of the line and the background turns green, move it to the right and it turns red. Visually and interactively shows a conditional. I think it would be an awesome language to teach concepts like that.

Dr. Glasscock
Apr 15, 2004

Sensible Thursday posted:

Some time ago I made the following realizations:

• My lifestyle being what it is, I'm probably going to have to wind up fleeing to Mexico one of these days.
  • They speak Spanish in Mexico.
  • Spanish has a lot of goddamn words.

To speed up the vocabulary-learning process, I'm finishing up a Chrome extension that uses the Google Translate API to switch random words on all the web pages I visit into an arbitrary foreign language. The theory is that sooner or later I'll pick up their meaning from context. Doesn't take care of the whole grammar problem, but it's better than nothing.

That's a pretty cool idea. I'm curious how well that works for you. Update on progress later yeah?

On a side note, why are you going to have to wind up fleeing to Mexico one of these days?

Dr. Glasscock
Apr 15, 2004

bitreaper posted:

Spent a few months working on this, going back to it once I finish all the arts courses they want me to take to round out my degree...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q13hUZuug8E

That's awesome! My friend actually sent me that video last night, didn't realize it was from this thread. Guess you guys are trying to be first to market for game's mdidleware?

Short derail, what's the name of the artist your avatar is based on? I love his work but totally can't remember his name.

Dr. Glasscock
Apr 15, 2004

An iPhone app for Tapout (huge MMA-related clothing company, basically the Nike of MMA). Full mobile store with PayPal integration. Also news, radio, gallery and stuff from their site.

It's so close to being finished. Took me somewhere between 5 and 6 months of solid dev time (I had a little bit of help towards the end of the project). I can't loving wait to get this bad boy released.

Dr. Glasscock
Apr 15, 2004

Sir Davey posted:

Please tell me you're developing a fluid interface. I have a brand-spanking new digital cable box with DVR and HD, and the interface is to sluggish to change channels and to get the programs schedule that I want to throw my remote at it.

Seriously, you put in a loving powerful processor to decode HD video and decrypt all that data, but you make an interface straight out of 1997 with no picture-in-picture, program preview or more than 140 characters in the show description? loving shame on you, Cablecom.

Omg this. I've been saying this for a while now. Everyone does this. 1080p capable hardware but the most horribly designed, slowest loving UI on the planet. It's ridiculous. I figured with the release of the Wii we'd start seeing pointer-driven interfaces for TV stuff. Hasn't happened yet but I still expect it to. Just imagine how bad the interfaces will be then!

Dr. Glasscock
Apr 15, 2004

HFX posted:

Good luck with that. I could write a thesis on why you won't see this happen, but once again I'd open myself up to termination and litigation. I really need to find a new job.

See my above redacted post.

Really? So is it because of Nintendo patents or internal industry politics and other assorted bullshit? Seems like a company could come in and make a sweet rear end set top box UI and just sweep the industry, much like Apple did with the iPhone. Do the box manufacturers have close ties with the networks or something? Heh can you even answer any of that?

slovach posted:

It can't fill triangles yet though or load models, so I've just been copy pasting the model verticies / indicies. :(

Hey that's cool man, you gotta start somewhere! No sense in writing a model loader for untested rendering code :).

Dr. Glasscock
Apr 15, 2004

Another one of the iPhone apps I'm working on. This one is the official app for the New England Patriots 2010 season.

No iPhone 4 high-res support yet unfortunately (due to some of the libraries we are using that haven't been compiled for iOS 4.0 yet). It's a neat little app if you are a Pats fan. All the news content is directly aggregated from their main site, so it's not a bunch of neglected mobile-specific crap.

Dr. Glasscock
Apr 15, 2004

Hammerite posted:

Honk Honk Revolution

BZZZZZ BZZZZZZ REV-BZZZZZ-OLU-BZZZZZZ-TIO-BZZZZZZZ-N

Dr. Glasscock
Apr 15, 2004

Hoborg posted:

Is it true that in Handegg games (sorry, I refuse to call it "Football") that players and the ball are tracked using various technologies so their positionduring the game are continuously recorded? I've heard people speak of it, but don't know for sure.

I was wondering if maybe you could write an app that takes that data, and renders a 3D scene of the game on the iPhone so people can see how a match went (or is going, if the data is available live) without needing to burn through their data plan downloading actual video.

...just an idea. What do you think?

I have no idea. The NFL does have people who input play-by-play of everything that happens into a system which can real-time aggregate the data to other sources. That's what powers stuff like those Flash apps where you see a football field that updates with arrows and poo poo as each play happens (Yahoo Sports Football and other stuff use this I think).

A 2D or 3D abstract rendering of the game (you aren't going something that looks like Madden) is entirely possible with just this feed, it contains lots of information. I don't believe the feed is public however.

EDIT: poo poo, meant to put this in my other post, my bad.

Dr. Glasscock
Apr 15, 2004

Ugg boots posted:

Spent a year working on the Guild Wars 2 cinematics tool, so I figured I should post this video here :D

http://www.arena.net/blog/video-creating-guild-wars-2-cinematics

Haha, the whiteboard at the end. "Have the graphics been tightened up?" Nice.

That's pretty cool man, good job!

Dr. Glasscock
Apr 15, 2004

Working on (another) update to the Patriots 2010 season app for iPhone. This one is actually going to have a play-by-play feed during games. Still totally free. I'm not sure if any other NFL team apps do this.

Video (framerate on the phone is much smoother) - http://screencast.com/t/NDc2MTQ4Mz

Can't wait to get it out and see what people think of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Glasscock
Apr 15, 2004

slovach posted:

It's actually less to look at than the first post I made on this because I had wireframe triangles working then... but this is totally more impressive in the underlying implementation of everything even if you can't see it. :v:

Ah, the best part about software development. All that effort and clever solutions and such yet the poo poo looks the same. Cool project though.