Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Luminous
May 19, 2004

Girls
Games
Gains

more falafel please posted:

Can someone explain to me the optical illusion reasons why the Lorem ipsum text moves when my eyes move around it, or is it just that my hangover isn't quite as cured as I thought it was?

I think it is just your hangover :p

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luminous
May 19, 2004

Girls
Games
Gains

StickGuy posted:

It artificially breaks up the image into different regions that may or may not correspond with actual regions in the data. There are also some issues with the perceived transitions between the colors not all being the same.

Look up the papers "Data visualization: the end of the rainbow" and "Rainbow Color Map (Still) Considered Harmful" for a more in depth explanation.

EDIT: The second article in particular has some great example images that show how the rainbow color map can be misleading.

This is actually really good to know. I hadn't thought of that before, and now that I have read, it seems painfully obvious why it is bad. Good stuff.

Luminous
May 19, 2004

Girls
Games
Gains

SuperFurryAnimal posted:

I've spent the last three weeks working on an entry for the XNA Dream Build competition. Who would have thought that building a game on your own in three weeks was difficult? Anyway, here's the result:

Video of 'Arena' mode (blurry as all gently caress).

The core mechanic is that point multipliers are based on how quickly you dispatch each enemy - do it efficiently and you get a bonus based on the enemy's size, and a +1 to your chain (firework). A chain of 5 efficient kills in a row gives x2 multiplier to bonuses, a chain of 10 = x4 and so on. You are only allowed to fire three rockets at any one time, so its all about targeted strikes (or that was the aim anyway).

This is really cool. I am curious, how much work did you have to do in terms of the graphics? For instance, the fire work effects and explosions - was that a particle effect completely created by you, or does XNA have some bases to work off of?

Good job, regardless!

Luminous
May 19, 2004

Girls
Games
Gains

Warder posted:

eenmachine gave me some good info on iPhone programing, and I've almost finished my first game. It's just a simple sliding numbers puzzle, but the tiles wrap around the board.

A fellow goon is doing all the art, I think it's really turning out good.

Hope to submit it to the app store by the end of the week.

I don't mean to come off as knocking your work, because it looks like you've done a good job from your screenshots.

But, doesn't having the tiles wrap make the game almost trivially easy?

Luminous
May 19, 2004

Girls
Games
Gains

Avenging Dentist posted:

You can use the separating axis theorem to detect collision between any two convex polygons. Basically, any two convex shapes are non-intersecting if and only if there is a line that can be drawn between them without intersecting either shape. For convex polygons, this can be simplified: the line must be parallel to one of the edges.

Then the procedure is: for every edge, draw a line parallel to that edge. Next, draw a line orthogonal to that line: this is your axis. Project both polygons onto the axis. If the projections are disjoint, the two polygons are non-intersecting. If you don't find any disjoint projections, the two polygons are intersecting.

This technique is especially useful because it can easily be generalized to moving polygons, and in the moving case, the separating axis can give you useful information about how and where the objects collided.

http://www.metanetsoftware.com/technique/tutorialA.html

That little flash game "N" that people used to play has done tutorials using just this. It's fun, since they have interactive demos for what is occurring.

Luminous
May 19, 2004

Girls
Games
Gains

Kennedy posted:

Hmm, loads of work lately;

My dissertation was based on seeing how feasable it was to use HTNs to control AI on a per-agent level for gameplay. Long story short, it was something like 4% less efficient than the Valve AI in Half Life 2, but won 30/30 deathmatch games against the Valve AI. Resounding success.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOr4HwOhSVo

Second and most recent is a XNA space-sim I'm building. Hot off the presses as of a few mins ago:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTSO6Ugc7_U

Some custom shaders written for the sun combined with a tutorial-based post-processing bloom effect added (it's supposed to be subtle :ssh:).

(P.S any game devs in Dublin, Ireland looking for a graduate to shout at, give me a shout please :) )

Those are both really cool. Is the AI video from the perspective of your bot vs valve bots? Or is it you versus your bots? I assume by the last comment in the video that you are the player and the bot is what you are shooting at, who is not doing anything, but I wanted to be sure.

Luminous
May 19, 2004

Girls
Games
Gains
Cuteness overload. You will make a fortune off of preteen girls.

Luminous
May 19, 2004

Girls
Games
Gains
Stumpy, I just want to say that your shader editor looks really cool. It's always interesting to see these types of editors to create code.

Luminous
May 19, 2004

Girls
Games
Gains
It looks like you just left them with their default color (which matches the default background color). This is common.

Luminous
May 19, 2004

Girls
Games
Gains

gwar3k1 posted:

Do you implement a hidden machine/installation specific salt of any kind? I've been thinking how you could further encrypt a simple site+commonpw to prevent someone using the same app engineering your common password from a known website password which would give them free access to any other site. I decided that installation time/date created could be used in settings, something the user can forget about but present as a variable so they can modify it if they wanted to - you could then port the desktop program to a mobile app, use the same date/time in the settings to produce the same hashed strings as the desktop version.

The general process for encryption is "don't do it yourself" as the common, or even uncommon things, people think of have already been entertained by the brains behind the libraries that actually make it to the wild, as well as that most things people come up with don't actually offer more security (often they actually lower it).

For educational or personal purposes, of course, try anything and everything you want. But you don't want the burden of trying to release something to the public and justifying why your encryption is somehow better than PhDs, etc.

Luminous
May 19, 2004

Girls
Games
Gains

lazypeterson posted:

Simple little task organizer I made, mostly to test out my AJAX skills.

Switch out the multiple combo boxes for an actual calendar widget. Makes date selection a lot simpler. May not matter to you if you're just testing out ajax, though.

Luminous
May 19, 2004

Girls
Games
Gains
I know the n is there, and that those are ts. But I still can't help read it as "a game about killing" cheerfully.

Luminous
May 19, 2004

Girls
Games
Gains

Manslaughter posted:

God drat this took way too loving long to get working right. All due to one line of code messing everything up. Anyway multidirectional shadows in XNA.

Oh also winforms and XNA playing nice together I guess.

Where are all of the light sources for this picture. The obvious 'sun' in the top right, but the shadows feel wrong if that's the only source.

Luminous
May 19, 2004

Girls
Games
Gains

HappyHippo posted:

Crosspost from the game thread: here's a browser based game in the style of Scorched Earth I'm working on using javascript/html5. It seems to work best in chrome. Any comments or suggestions are welcome!

This is really cool so far. I like the controls, although it'd be nice if the angle and power settings were remembered between turns instead of going direct into mouse control.

Seconding the multiplayer suggestion as a priority, even before more weapons and defenses.

This is just so cool.

Luminous
May 19, 2004

Girls
Games
Gains

HappyHippo posted:

You can see what your last settings were in the top right corner :)

Ya, this was basically it. I would prefer that the settings are active on the controls themselves, but at least there is the information. Thanks for pointing that out!

Luminous
May 19, 2004

Girls
Games
Gains

shodanjr_gr posted:

-> ->

Wrote a global map viewer that can pull tileset data off a web service and render it on an OpenGL scene graph. It is heavily multithreaded so that tile loading does not block the interaction (runs at 150+ fps and moves around super fluidly). Right now it's rendering the Mapquest Open data but its trivial to switch to other tilesets (OpenStreetMaps, or something that we might serve locally). The debug overlay is from Equalizer, a C++ SDK for building distributed rendering applications, so this puppy can run on my laptop and on a tiled display wall. There's a couple of things that need fixing (I got some issues with the garbage collection and tile seams are visible sometimes) but overall I'm quite proud of this.

If you're curious about other approaches, OSG with osgEarth does this as well, with (if I recall) XML configuration files to point at many different sources of map data.

Luminous
May 19, 2004

Girls
Games
Gains

SlightlyMadman posted:

Got Players and board set-up working last night. The game is almost ready to start playing!

You may be passed the voronoi point, but in case you are still tooling around: d3.js is an excellent visualization toolkit, and they have voronoi tesselation as one of their default things. d3.js and an example. Also, d3.js is just fun as hell to use.

Luminous
May 19, 2004

Girls
Games
Gains

SlightlyMadman posted:

Interesting, if I wasn't already pretty much done with the rendering code I'd look into that, but I'm pretty happy with what I've got. I'm using a library I linked above to build the diagram, which is based on the exact same algorithm as d3's, so it probably wouldn't be much different. It's nice that d3 does the rendering for you, but I'm doing a lot of custom stuff there anyways, and d3 seems to be built around SVG whereas I'm doing canvas drawing. I'm definitely going to hold onto that link to look into in the future though. I actually do a lot of data visualization in my day job and it would probably come in handy for some of that.

d3 does the layout in a fashion. You're more dealing with the "how" to display it visually. Which brings the point of svg vs canvas. d3 actually just operates on DOM. You can use whatever you want.

Ya, my day job tends to revolve around visualization as well, and coming from java (prefuse ugh) and .net libraries into d3.js was an eye opening moment of just how over the top and burdensome other libraries are. I seriously have fun using d3.js just because of how to the point and powerful it is.

Luminous fucked around with this message at 16:56 on May 2, 2013

Luminous
May 19, 2004

Girls
Games
Gains

lord funk posted:

Kind of. The actual inspiration comes from NI Absynth, which has three individual chicklets for each degree of control.

Regarding the reversal of the line density: I can see it both ways. I'll have to play around with it.

From a usability perspective (and, in my opinion, an intuitive one), I think you have it correct. You're providing finer degrees of control which means providing a mechanism for which the user can easily pick out finer granularity. Reversing it would make it just a more visual spinner control.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luminous
May 19, 2004

Girls
Games
Gains

Shalinor posted:

You're eventually going to redo the character sprite too, right?

It almost fits with some of the new tiles, but, it's still very obviously a painted-over Metroid sprite. Can't tell if it's final or not.

EDIT: Crossposting from the design thread. This took way longer than it should have, but I'm pretty dang proud of it. First time I've written a dialog system. Yes, that font needs to go. Doesn't really work :(

The font would probably work better if the shadow was oriented the same as the bubble shadows.