Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES
A couple weeks ago I browsed on over to CNN.com and was surprised to see on the front page an image of some software I worked on during my time at CERN:

I was responsible for the plug-in that does the x-y projection in the upper left of the image.

Too bad the drat thing is going to be broken forever. :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES

wlievens posted:

The province generation is independent of the geography generation (which is plain old perlin noise), so that's why I have to do all those tricks. If you turn stuff around, and generate geography based on random provinces, you probably get an easier algorithm and better looking borders, but less plausible geography.

I actually think it's a lot better the way you do it, because the borders, to me, imply geographical features on the landmass: rivers, mountain chains, etc.

Are there any parameters for the province borders to represent, say, straight line borders? Think of the U.S. state borders. Some use natural boundaries, others use arbitrary surveying markers (lines of latitude, longitude, etc).

Regardless, that looks really impressive.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ZentraediElite posted:

Well I just got switched to this product about a month or so ago. I'm working on the actual software that runs on the thing. It's all C#, which i'm still learning.

Is this at their Pittsburgh location?

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ZentraediElite posted:

Yes, it is.

Cool, I phone interviewed there earlier this year but wound up taking a better offer elsewhere.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

Shalinor posted:

I could use some feedback on the app sore icon I'm working on. I realize it isn't precisely a screenshot, but - "game media"?

Note that the smaller icons lose the noisy detail, because the prototyping template I made this through does all of them via downscaling. For final art, I would by-hand export each one with appropriate noise resolution, meaning they should be more consistent with the top level. I think that will also help with how the lines get more distorted, the smaller it goes.

My biggest concern is the gradient border. Normally, I hate gradients, and avoid them in any layout work I do. But, it was already in the PSD as the flaming background, and snipped into a border, it adds that sense of "they're in a safe spot in the middle of a forest fire", eh... opinions?

I'm pretty sure that the lorem ipsum on that template should be the new de facto standard.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

j4on posted:

Looks awesome. I always love this concept. Does anyone else remember that 2D japanese side-scrolling shooter where you fly a ship versus enemies made of colorful 3D polygon/blocks? You would blow up the enemies and then the debris would just stick to you and keep firing at the same rate as before. Kind of a combat katamari thing. What was it called.

Tumiki Fighters

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

Someone probably already did this, but I was curious about the post counts of various participants in my LP, so I whipped together a tool to scrape that information.

It can be used for any SA thread. Still needs a little polish and a lot of commenting, might throw it up somewhere.

Doesn't use any fancy stuff, just basic WinForms + LINQ + HTML Agility Kit.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

cliffy posted:

Well, kind of. If you click on the number of replies to a thread you get a list of who has posted the most in descending order, but you don't get the stats about first post/most recent post date.

Dang, I never even noticed that. Oh well, the first/last post stuff is still useful, and I'll be adding an export to csv function as well.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

kayakyakr posted:

If 5 is an operand, the answers should all end in 0 or 5.

Why would this make it harder? 5 + 2 = 7, which does not end in either 0 or 5. That is only true for multiplication.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

kayakyakr posted:

Sorry, we were nerding out over something that had very little to do with your animation.

Yes, but there's a fair gap in velocities between a velocity required for escape and a velocity that is required for orbit, no? So the orbital velocity that has debris going around exactly once is significantly less than the escape velocity which has debris leaving orbit entirely. I'm questioning what happens to the debris that's in that middle ground.

It goes around once, but goes higher and takes longer.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

What's this going to be? Looks like modern-ish era units, but the "Space Empire" stuff at the top makes me think it might be an EOFS-like?

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

AuxPriest posted:

Wait wait wait correct me if I'm wrong but you're using Aurora for the universe generation stuff etcetc...

If so, that's awesome! I absolutely adore Aurora.

Not sure how that'd work. It's not like there's an Aurora API. He might be being inspired by Aurora (as evidenced by his recent post history and the discussion of the thing in the Grognard Games thread), but there's plenty of examples of stellar system generation code out there, which are what Aurora's generation routines are based on anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

corgski posted:

Yeah, that's a combination of working with a dictionary of only like 20 words while I was testing it (so duplicates were extremely likely) and the fact that it's just a dumb loop that replaces anything that matches the regex with a random selection until it runs out of matches. I have plans to improve it though!

E: another thing I need to do, now that I downloaded a "list of verbs" etc, is prune verbs from that list that don't make sense in the places where I'm using substitutions, otherwise you get this nonsense.

Looks like you want intransitive verbs for the first two and transitive verbs for the last one.