Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jick Magger
Dec 27, 2005
Grimey Drawer
In an effort to know more (anything) about game programming, I've started writing a Dr. Mario clone.

Every time I add the next "feature" I practically have to rewrite the entire thing because I'm not thinking far enough ahead :downsgun:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jick Magger
Dec 27, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Bob Morales posted:

Are you just doing this with Quartz2D or what? Also, how are you handling input?

It was written in Java, because I move between my Mac laptop and a windows desktop, depending on my mood and whether or not I want to listen to my roommates watch stupid poo poo on TV.

Jick Magger
Dec 27, 2005
Grimey Drawer
(yay I finally have something to post here)

I spent a while after I graduated putting together a fridge magnet poetry type thing. Basically, it provides you with all the different parts of grammar, and you use them to produce instant Dada art.
Now I just need to figure out why it should exist...

The most interesting part was dealing with verb conjugation. After trying to do it programmatically (gently caress English :suicide:), I just said gently caress it and screen scraped an ESL site.

[edit]
god dammit I thought I'd scaled that down. I'm sorry.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Jick Magger
Dec 27, 2005
Grimey Drawer
TwystNeko I feel your pain. Clever examples!= good documentation.

Just posted a video of my first iPad app. Been working on this with some people who originally hired me for some web development work. It's been an interesting few months, the code is an abortion because I had to learn Cocos2d and Chipmunk as I went, but it's shaping up well.

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=2008897867964

There isn't a whole lot to do at the moment, but it's essentially a doll house. For 4 year old girls. Apparently apps for preliterate children is a big thing now?

Jick Magger
Dec 27, 2005
Grimey Drawer

KBD posted:

Does your employer look like this?

No, one of the guys there has a 4 year old daughter who loves playing with his iPad, and he realized that all of the games he buys for her are loving terrible abortions of games. But they still sell really well, because parents are retarded. So we're trying to make something better.

To be fair, I've never ACTUALLY met this supposed daughter, so who knows.

Jick Magger
Dec 27, 2005
Grimey Drawer

mintskoal posted:

Had this idea for a while but just finally got around to building it. Made a web app called unsubscribr that goes through your email (gmail only for right now, working on Yahoo Mail) and picks out all of the bulk mail. It then gives you a list of results so you can unsubscribe from them really quickly.

Uses OAuth to authenticate to Gmail and Yahoo so you never have to type in a password on the site. I'm going with the freemium model where searching 5 days of mail in your inbox is free, up to 14 days and any folders/labels is a one-time cost of $2.00 - kind of like in the mobile app stores.

Anyway screenshots:
If anyone with a dirty Gmail account is interested in testing I'll set your account to the paid version.

hell yeah I'd love to try this. mjvotaw at gmail.com

[edit] nvm, I see you've set the cost to free while it's in beta.

Jick Magger fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jan 26, 2012

Jick Magger
Dec 27, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I always feel odd posting in here, because I always seem to post after the "here's some awesome 3d raytracing I just did for funsies" guy.

Anyway, instead of doing the work I'm getting paid to do, I decided to finish up a small project I'd started a few months ago.

After bitching and complaining about the onscreen keyboard provided by Netflix, I finally decided to see if I could do it any better. Not that this would change Netflix or anything, but now when I'm bitching about it, I can say for certain that there is a better way.

http://www.doublebeatshowcase.com/CK

So I'm trying out keyboard layouts for use with controller-style input. I know this certainly isn't the best layout, but so far it's quicker than trying to use the QWERTY version. Any suggestions? I think what I need to do is try to line up the most common 3-letter sets, next. I didn't bother trying this is firefox, but it works fine in Chrome.

God, I don't think I've ever taken a white-people problem so far before.

Jick Magger
Dec 27, 2005
Grimey Drawer

dustgun posted:

DEAL WITH IT
Sure I'll bite.

Have you considered using/are you using the OS's CIFaceFeature detection for placing the glasses? It only works with human faces, but it's pretty fancy lookin' when your app just does it for you.

Jick Magger
Dec 27, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Welp I meant to post this yesterday, but forgot.

I spent last week implementing a Beatmania IIDX sim in html5 canvas, in celebration of 5/11 (5.1.1. is a "famous" song in the series, as it's been in all 20 versions of the game. Every year I try to make as big of a deal out of it as reasonably possible, because I think it's funny how not a real holiday it is to most people on Earth).
I'm kind of surprised there wasn't already a canvas music-game sim, at least none that I could find.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jick Magger
Dec 27, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Careful Drums posted:

Another screenshot, and hey I released the first version up to Azure! I'm amazed that with azure you can just give it a Git repo and it will do all the deploy for you. Now all I have to do is find some not lovely music to put on it.

http://justneedabeat.azurewebsites.net/

Yeah soundcloud can be pretty hit or miss, but I like the idea in general. I would suggest adding some volume controls if you can (I have freakishly sensitive hearing, and soundcloud is always way too loud for my liking).