Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
OddOne
Mar 18, 2008

by T. Finn
Well played, Thallium, well played...

This adds a new wrinkle: the prosthetics have more additional capabilities than were suggested at first, albeit at a cost...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OddOne
Mar 18, 2008

by T. Finn
Blue + 1.

Think about it... Nice lady has access to some of the facility's systems, well, the ones still up at least. Not only might she have access to useful data about the story's universe and recent history, but she also might have access to Adam's current condition, status, and location. Perhaps she'll achieve yellow's goal by going with blue.

OddOne
Mar 18, 2008

by T. Finn

Ulalume posted:

And I dunno if that picture is of Pretty Lady & Pigtails... Hair's too dark to be Pigtails, it's Adam's shade, but who knows. We'll find out eventually, I'm sure.

Actually I thought the pic looked more like it showed spiderbot prior to the spiderbottery.

OddOne
Mar 18, 2008

by T. Finn
Yay for updates! Was begging to worry that you were pulled permanently away from the story, Thallium!

As for voting, I'm going with Blue because Pigtails has been critically short of information on her situation almost the entire time and has done too much kneejerk reaction without enough data to determine what the best course of action would be. If you cannot escape a crisis situation and assess it from afar, the next best thing is to gather intel on it from up close, and then when you have an idea what would be best to do you can do.

Knowing what the docs are doing would be useful info. The tricky part will be getting useful intel without further endangering Adam.

E: Pigtails looks pissed in that first frame! :eek:

OddOne
Mar 18, 2008

by T. Finn
Looks to me like the protobot is linking up the implants for Adam and Pigtails. And probably all other implanted kids in the building if its range is sufficient.

And once the links are established, a shutdown command can't be far off...

Going with yellow here since it's unlikely our aim could be trusted AND having the doctors rumble would buy Pretty Lady and Adam time to flee.

OddOne fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jun 23, 2008

OddOne
Mar 18, 2008

by T. Finn
So it's come down to this: ONE decision.

Running? Not a chance - if the protobot is intended to galvanize all of his past patients and staff into an army it'll have massive range.

Attacking the bot? Likely to fail - she's losing control over her own mind and isn't a melee machine to begin with.

Attacking Meadowfield? Also likely to fail - he's bigger/stronger and likely to be both armed and protected by protobot.

Needling Meadowfield? Depends on whether she can do so without the bot intervening - if it does she fails and it will gain control over her as well. If she does manage to inject him the bot's still active, so the question becomes whether she can shut it down with doc out of the way, and do so before falling to its signal.

Using the "suggestion" ray on the bot? This one has potential in that it might overload the bot or burn out its own takeover signal transmitter. The question then becomes whether the arm will work well enough for long enough, and Thallium said it might already be inoperative. And then there's the good(?) doctor standing there, and he'll need to be "handled." (Might be a good use for that syringe once ptoto's not a problem.)

Needling herself? This one also has potential in that she could knock out the organic parts of her nervous system before succumbing to the protobot, hopefully until protobot stops transmitting its takeover signal. However, this approach has risks as well - one, she'd be defenseless in a whole room full of hostiles; and two, there's no guarantee that protobot will ever stop transitting until shut down so when she awakens she'll be in at best the same situation, or more likely a far worse position to effect change.

My take:

Testfire the arm at protobot, and if it works, blast it with the suggestion ray at max power for as long as possible. Then, needle the doctor (prefereably in the left nut). If the arm's already offline, needle the doctor while you still can.

OddOne
Mar 18, 2008

by T. Finn
Voting one, based on the options presented, but in reverse order - attack protobot first, then go for the doc. While we're attacking the bot, doc can't shoot at Girly McPigtails lest he risk a hit on the bot, whereas if we attack doc first the bot (or doc junior, or both) can intervene.

OddOne
Mar 18, 2008

by T. Finn
This was without a doubt the most cleverly executed roll-your-own I've ever seen, even if we do suck as a group when it comes to steering the plot.

IroncladTomato posted:

gently caress you thallium

Oh yeah, that sentiment's gonna get you far...

OddOne
Mar 18, 2008

by T. Finn

Internet Janitor posted:

I can't help but pose the question gnawing at so many of us- were we doomed either way at that last junction, or did we simply choose... poorly?

IMO just enough people chose poorly. Trying to remove the arm was a stupid idea given the situation presented, and I for one expected exactly that end result - pigtails couldn't, and protobot eventually gained control.

Hopefully Thallium will weigh in and confirm or deny...

OddOne
Mar 18, 2008

by T. Finn

Thallium posted:

Pretty Lady's necklace. And mom's. :aaa:

OddOne
Mar 18, 2008

by T. Finn
Hey Thallium, how close or far was I to a more ideal ending with my suggestion? (Assuming of course that you want to share the alternative endings with us, that is.)

OddOne posted:

My take:

Testfire the arm at protobot, and if it works, blast it with the suggestion ray at max power for as long as possible. Then, needle the doctor (prefereably in the left nut). If the arm's already offline, needle the doctor while you still can.

OddOne
Mar 18, 2008

by T. Finn

Non-Player posted:

I want to see this as a film bad enough that I'm considering trying to buy the rights from you. I'd pay the ten bucks in the theater to see it at least twice. Great job, I'm definitely going to try to be a more active voter in the next one.

^^^ THIS.

Good Lord I'd be all over a theater to see a bigscreen adaptation of this, provided that the actress playing Pigtails in particular is someone that's engaging and not some screaming banshee. (Read: No Dakota Fanning, etc.) And I don't even go to theaters if I can avoid it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OddOne
Mar 18, 2008

by T. Finn
Please don't close the thread. Now that it's over it'd be fun to brainstorm the scenario (and this can possibly be helpful in your sequel) and closing the thread stops that.

Every time the thread was closed for an update it felt like any opportunity to analyz the game thus far was being denied.