Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Seldom Posts posted:

You will not regret quitting on the 12. It takes all the promise of the The Passage and craps on it.

I should have listened to you. I decided to push through and really? the resolution is that the guy who died in book 1 isn't dead anymore? And the crazy woman who has been crazy for 100 years snaps out of it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
From college: Ulysses and Turn of the Screw. I could barely begin, let alone finish.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Ulysses sure, but Screw? That's not even a particularly complex James, and a drat fun story.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Mr. Squishy posted:

Ulysses sure, but Screw? That's not even a particularly complex James, and a drat fun story.

It was part of a detective fiction class, and not as fun a read as some of the others, so probably context was evolved.

Pheeets
Sep 17, 2004

Are ya gonna come quietly, or am I gonna have to muss ya up?
I loved Turn of the Screw. Not too long, and kept my interest.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

The Devil in the White City. The middle is too focused on architecture business talk for me.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Mr. Squishy posted:

I had to read Turn of the Screw and The Aspern Papers in college, and I was dreading them after hearing for years about how tedious and impenetrable Henry James is. I was surprised to actually enjoy them.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Have you tried What Maisie Knew yet? That's wall-to-wall Jamsien sentences where he stress-tests the English Language.

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp

BananaNutkins posted:

Red Mars had an awful first 100 pages. The writing was horrible. I can't imagine a worse Mars book.

I missed this, but it's objectively wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
You poop-heads are guilting me into reading Turn of the Screw. My professor passed away years ago, too, which is only making me feel more guilty.

• Locked thread