Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

I picked up Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy a few months ago and it has been quite the struggle. After seeing No Country for Old Men I looked up a bit about the author and saw that Blood Meridian was thought to be his masterpiece, so I waited about a week and took it out of the library.

The way it is written is so foreign to me I have to read at a snails pace and try to pick up pieces wherever I can. I can read the words on the page but comprehending and putting them together is totally different. I'm still trying to find the "greatness" in the book but maybe it just doesn't appeal to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Moz Spos posted:

Currently, I'm trying to bring myself to finish Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy, but it's just so drat dry. I'm about half-way through the book and so far, 80% of the story is just monotonous descriptions of desert scenery. It seems like McCarthy wrote this all in a haste, letting his words mindlessly stream through his keyboard while contemplating some extragavent event to add to the mind-numblingy boring plot. The one only thing that keeps me motivated to continue is the thought that maybe this story will build up to something interesting, soon. That, and the fact that I liked The Road, which had a similar pace.

On the last page I posted my same concerns with the book but made it through it. I'm not going to spoil anything but it's not exactly a "tough" read if you are set on just getting through the whole book, so I advise you to push forth. The meat of the novel really begins to pick up in the last few chapters and made me forget the times when I wanted to return it to the library.

• Locked thread