Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ohthatdan
Jan 10, 2007

...Soldering Iron...
Like a few previous posters, I felt that the story within a story in House of Leaves was severely distracting. I finally got through it however when I completely ignored all of Johnny Truant's sections in the book, so I was basically just reading the Navidson record. I know I told myself that I would go back and re-read just those Truant parts at a separate time, but I really have no desire to do so. I did think the Navidson record portion of the book was pretty good after I cut all that crap out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ohthatdan
Jan 10, 2007

...Soldering Iron...

Elderling posted:

While I think it is important to feel free to skip around in books as much as you want--it shouldn't feel like a chore--I don't understand all the House of Leaves hate. I postponed looking at it for quite a while because nearly every single mention of it (outside actual House of Leaves threads) on SA was disparaging, and three or four people would always chime in to say "Yeah, gently caress that book." Saying the format is distracting is fine and not even really criticism. After all, you said you thought the rest was pretty good, and that just means you didn't feel like making an effort to get into it, which is perfectly legitimate

Actually, reading your post I do want to clarify some things that I should have done to begin with. First off, I will actually say that I should have posted I really enjoyed the Navidson Record rather than saying it was "pretty good". There were points where I was genuinely terrified with what was about to happen next. I also felt that the layout of the book aided that, such as spacing out words fewer and fewer on pages to compliment a tense moment. However, I just couldn't really get into the Johnny Truant story, mostly because I was honestly more driven to conclude the haunting Navidson Tale. I got a good chunk under my belt reading both before I just skipped the Truant portions at the time because I was completely satisfied with the main story. I do understand that the tales run parallel, furthering Johnny's disorientation as The Navidson Record goes on, but I just found myself more drawn towards the Navidson stuff, and its effect on me rather than Johnny. I also shouldn't have used the word crap, so I'll change that to "not as much to my liking".

ohthatdan fucked around with this message at 00:47 on May 12, 2008

• Locked thread