Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Admiral Crunch
Nov 26, 2005

by Peatpot
The Five People You Meet In Heaven by Mitch Albom. What the gently caress, it was the most annoying and predictable thing I've ever read.

Paraphrasing:

"The dude was in heaven after he died, there was poo poo-ton of colors and one of them was yellow like a banana and one as red like a red crayon and one was blue like (guess what? No seriously it's good) like loving COTTON CANDY! HE WORKED IN AN AMUSEMENT PARK! ISN'T IT FUNNY HOW HE WOULD COMPARE THAT COLOR TO loving COTTON CANDY! So then he met a guy! OH NO FUCKIN WAY HE AFFECTED THAT GUYS LIFE IN SOME SMALL WAY! THAT WAS UNEXPECTED! But wait, there's loving four more of them! OH poo poo SON HE AFFECTED/ WAS AFFECTED BY THEM I UNEXPECTED WAYS! NO loving WAY, GOD, THAT WAS COOL OF YOU!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Crunch
Nov 26, 2005

by Peatpot

bison wings posted:

are you serious, dude? really? I'd never accuse Mitch Albom of having great prose, but that's not why you read his books. He's a modern day philosopher more than a writer, and the deeper meaning is actually more important than the narrative.

But all that aside, hate him if you want, I don't care that much. I was just taken aback because you're really the first one in this thread to lose his poo poo over a book and it wasn't even for a controversial reason. You just didn't like his metaphors.

The thing is I read that book because i read Tuesdays With Morrie and I liked it. It was a really cool book, and I enjoyed reading it. Then someone mentioned this book and said it was good. The weird thing was, with this book, it seemed just overly sappy and predictable and frankly boring. I guess I probably wouldn't have minded as much if I had gone in with no expectations.

• Locked thread