Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Abortion is yummy. posted:

Could you point me in the direction of these cutups? I know it's not exactly on topic, but that's really interesting to me, and Google did me no favors.

Reaching back a little over a month to answer this, but since you'll never find it with that spelling, he was referring to the text cut-ups of William S. Burroughs and Brion Gysin.

Also, to whomever linked that Mashed in Plastic mix, thanks. That was quite interesting.
What do people think of themed mash-up albums, like Bootwerk or Block-Rockin' Boots? (bastard pop tribs to Kraftwerk and Chemical Brothers, respectively) Are they a cop-out to replace originality, or does the narrower focus tend to cut down on the amount of lovely failed mixes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

RandomCheese posted:

This is almost difficult to listen to. Because it uses so many samples it doesn't fall into any solid groove for longer than a couple of seconds, which is already a flaw with a lot of the ADD style mashups but at least most times you can get a good half-minute of tight grooving before it moves on. It's clever technically but as a song is not very good. It's the sweep-picking teenage bedroom guitarist of mashups.

Just curious, but have you ever listened to John Oswald's Plexure? It has a bit of history behind it, and after you hear the full onslaught of the album, your standards for mash-ups will be irrevocably raised.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

BlueBayou posted:

Im going to say the best underused stuff would be pop songs from the 60s. There was a great Monkees mashups tonight that made me realize how little we hear stuff from the Beatles.

If you're looking for Beatles mash-ups, ccc has done Cracked Pepper and Revolved, and Sacred Cowboy put together Mutation (the Fabtasia track is probably the best).

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Also, it's impossible to decontextualize, you can only recontextualize.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Nam Taf posted:

I guess you could have the sample played at you in isolation when you're under complete sensory deprivation otherwise but yeh that post is just trolling and Chocula does a bit of that (and never very well).

But then it would be in the context of a sensory deprivation chamber.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Mr. Unlucky posted:

tanner4105's bad apollo was the first and as far as I'm concerned only true mash up album I've ever heard, it instantly ruined me for this genre. Everything else is a bunch of pop backings with rap acapellas, what a loving waste of time. This guy put together a thousand disparate elements into an amazing 20 minute cacophony and anything less just feels lazy in comparison. Don't listen to this album.

Have you heard "Raiding The 20th Century" yet? Among other things, it's a mash-up of mash-ups. Here's the track-list.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
It occurred to me this morning that I don't recall Monkey Farm Frankenstein having been recommended in this thread yet. So, to fix that, here's their BandCamp page, and here are Part One and Part Two of the video mix they made using their material.

Their stuff is primarily a blend of hip-hop and horror film samples, and their most well-known track is probably their Evil Dead homage, which also had a video created for it. I'm very fond of these guys, and before going by the Monkey Farm Frankenstein moniker (which was lifted from a line from Day Of The Dead) they went by the name Original Genius and did more standard mash-up material.

I'd recommend starting with the original cut of their album Twitch Of The Def Nerve, which was slightly reworked for a Some Bizzare release a couple years later. I hope people will take the time to check them out.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
More of a sample string than a mash-up, but Soulwax put together an hour of guitar solos.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Came across this label page on Last.fm, seems like most of the albums have direct downloads or links to pages with direct download. Includes a concept mash-up album based on the movie Groundhog Day.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
At the risk of :wtc:, I uploaded a smash-up mix I made, so if you have 90 minutes you want to spend listening to silly songs overlaid, you can do that here. Feel free to skip the '90s techno section after the Bill Cosby intro; recommended sections include the Haddaway/Eurythmics/Wang Chung bit, happy hardcore Bilbo Baggins ballad, Daler Mehndi/Whitney Houston into "Windowlicker", and speedcore Linkin Park. Best-suited for people with extreme ADD.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

hbxli posted:

Here is a mashup album I made out of early 90's pop songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xncfvtNqI24

Bell Biv Devoe, Salt N Pepa, Montell Jordan, Bobby Brown, you know, that kind of stuff.
This was great, nice flow and mixing with the song elements. That "Return of the Mack"/"Set Adrift on Memory Bliss" mash was probably my favorite combo.
Oh shiiiiiit.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Noticed a nice detail with the most recent listen. The name of the piano song in "AC/VC" is "A Thousand Miles", and it fades from there to the instrumental from "I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles)", with a chorus of "I would walk five hundred miles / And I would walk five hundred more".

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Some old ones that I still throw on:
Yacht Club DJs' "They Mostly Come At Night Mostly"
The Death Set's "Artificially Sweetened" (dead download link, here's a fresh one)
DJ BC's "The Beastles" and "Glassbreaks"
Ludachrist's "Bangfest" and "Talk is Cheap"
"Block Rockin' Boots" (Chemical Brothers themed)
"Bootwerk" (Kraftwerk themed)
Cool DJ Craig Schuftan's "88mph Stolen Plutonium Megamix"
The Kleptones' "A Night at the Hip Hopera"
Kids & Explosions' "poo poo Computer"
Muffin's "t.A.T.u. + Rammstein: Пружинки"
And the big one, DJ Food's "Raiding the 20th Century"

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Edward Mass posted:

The KLF have put some songs on streaming for the first time ever.

Holy poo poo, that's a landmark event.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
This fit together better than I'd hoped.
https://rave.dj/1y9RBnt7bY6l5w († Girl - Aqua vs. Justice)