Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.
I really don't like the 1st track of All Day but from the 2nd track through about 2/3rds of the way through is good. It certainly has some excellent moments but a lot of it is pretty forgettable too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Gaspar Lewis posted:

Reading all the positive All Day reviews and clueless press-kit John Oswald/Plunderphonics name-drops has me in a lovely mood so if you haven't already you need to listen to Raiding the 20th Century before I break your face. Which I assume is most of you. It might be six years dated but it's still the best audio history of reappropriation I think anyone could ask for. Between this and the strides made since (yes this in some small way includes Night Ripper), anyone who legitimately thinks anything Greg Gillis does anymore is "transformative" needs to jam this through their earhole and then either wise up or maybe die or something else unpleasant.

Tracklist/credits and a link-through to my link are here.

Now this thread can vanish into nothingness again.

The mash-ups in this are great but what is with all this talking? Like 1/2 of this record seems like it is homeboy talking about the history of electronic music, mash-ups, and music piracy. Sorry mash-up dude but I am trying to listen to music, not a lecture. I get that it is supposed to be a "words and music" thing but I would much prefer a "just music" version.

Edit: Annnnd upon closer inspection it seems a "just music" version exists, right next down the list. Thank you DJ Food! This is good.

gohuskies fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jan 19, 2011

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

Doesn't look like anyone has posted the link yet, so here it is. Lactose and THC was excellent so I am excitedly waiting for the download to finish.

Edit: It's very good

gohuskies fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jan 25, 2011

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

flatluigi posted:

I don't really like this Milkman guy. Album seems to be really same-y, using a lot of samples just to use samples, without really letting any stand out. I'm only halfway through Algorithms, though, so it has a chance of winning me over.

e: whoever mentioned that he relies on a lot of the same samples as Girl Talk is extremely right.

e2: haha, and a completely failed attempt at 'rap song over kitschy background' with the Torn sample in Right Now.

I kind of like that all the mash-up guys draw from the same pool of samples. I think it is interesting to see what E-603 does with "I love having sex but I'd rather get some head" versus what Super Mash Bros does with it, versus what Milkman does with it. And personally, I thought Algorithms was better than All Day. All Day has a couple really great moments, but I felt Algorithms was consistently better.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

Fun Times! posted:

I downloaded Girl Talk's All Day yesterday (my first exposure to mashup) and loved it. Now I'm listening to Milkman's Algorithms and it's pretty good, too. :)
Where should I go?

What Nam Taf said, plus DJ Car Stereo (Wars). I think DJ CSW's best album is "Explains It All".

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

This is SO SICK. Thank you!

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

Emmitt Nervend posted:

Royal Sapien's Stacked. Over 300 tracks masterfully mixed into an hour long audio wonderland. Not nearly as chaotic as Girl Talk. Truly amazing mix.

http://royalsapien.com/stacked/

It's a lot more laid back than most mash-ups but I like it. It seems like it would be great driving music. Background music, but with bits that come out from the background occasionally and say "hey listen to me".

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

Yoshifan823 posted:

Yep, and amazingly mixed played-out samples beat poorly mixed diverse samples every time. I really love All Day, it builds momentum and then uses it all up in these amazing moments.

Beginning of Triple Double is still the best mash-up moment I've ever heard.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

icicle bob posted:

PS. Why would you split up talk is cheap

"If you don't enjoy media the way I enjoy media, you aren't doing it right! No other options!"

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

Yeah some of it might be that mash-up albums always sound best on the first listen because you don't know what's coming but I really enjoyed Miley High. SMB is probably my favorite mash-up artist now.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

minato posted:

Neil Cicierega dropped a new album:

https://soundcloud.com/neilcic/mouth-moods

The Wild Wild West section at 45 minutes in is incredible.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

lelandjs posted:

Drag a song from the left onto a song on the right and boom, mashup: http://themagicipod.com

My personal favs are 99 Problems/A Thousand Miles and Lose Control/Seven Nation Army

Also I was not surprised to learn that Touch The Sky/All Star works because those two songs will work over/under anything.

I've been on here for about an hour and I have yet to find a bad combo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS posted:

Wait, GT started releasing stuff after 2007? Is that correct? Cuz that’s not anywhere near OG, Bootie and lots of others were around in the early 2000s. I don’t know the earliest MUYB, but even GYBO was around before that, I think.

Like I would consider Party Ben, A+D, DJ John, DJ Schmolli (Maybe Mash-Up Germany?) and that group as the first ones I remember. Oh and the Kleptones were the early giants (A Night at the Hip Hopera in ‘04), and of course things like the Gray Album (‘04). DJ BC was running Mash Ave in Boston in ‘04 and continues to produce. Loo & Placido were in there a little later, I think? But their NRG mixes from France were pretty great, as I recall.

I may have to jump down the rabbit hole of the earliest stuff I have to see when all that was (had to look up a bunch of this).

Edit: oh and GHP since 2002, proper OG.

Haha poo poo, I just browsed back in my library a bit and I keep saying “oh poo poo, yeah!” Lots of producers from way back (that’s as clear as the chronology is in my head, anyway).

Girl Talk's Night Ripper was the first mashup album that really grabbed me, especially as a full album instead of individual song remixes, and that was released spring of 2006. So about mid-decade.