Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bathroompants
Aug 19, 2002

baberaham lincoln posted:

If you like Easter Egg (and Girl Talk, but that is probably a granted by this point) you will probably love E-603.

Myspace:
http://www.myspace.com/e603
Free album:
http://www.e-603.com/DISCOGRAPHY.html

Seriously, Something for Everyone is suburb. And free to boot.

Seconding E-603. I found it recently after getting Feed The Animals, and while they use a lot of the same samples in the two albums, I got the feeling that E-603's craft was much more polished than Girl Talk's. Although there wasn't a "holy poo poo" moment like on FTA's mashup of Lil Wayne and RHCP for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bathroompants
Aug 19, 2002

Brown Moses posted:

I'd really encourage anyone who enjoys mash-up music to give it a shot themselves. Acid Pro 6 has a 30 day trial, and it's pretty straight forward to use with a little direction. I've only been doing it a couple of months, and I've found it to be an extremely enjoyable hobby, especially as I'm teaching myself along the way, so there's a nice sense of exploration and discovery there.

My technique is probably a bit inefficent though, I stick a bunch of music on my iPod, and while I'm travelling to work I rate any songs that might be good for sampling with 5 stars, and when I get home I open iTunes and work my way through the top rated songs, beatmapping and chopping them up into little pieces. Then I'll listen through my big list of samples until I find something good, then start seeing which samples compliment it and start building up the track from their.
Then I try to figure out a transition that doesn't suck, and find a nice acapella sample to layer on top of the first section, and repeat the same process for the next section.
Once I've got a few sections done I'll see if I can add any other background samples to make things more interesting.

I'm guessing felipebacon has a better method, especially as I taught myself how to use Acid
Pro, but if you really like mashup music then I think you would find it very enjoyable to do it yourself, even if you aren't quite up to Girl Talk's level.

I've tried a few times, but I can't seem to figure out how to get the vocals separated from the original music. Are you guys just using acapella tracks or am I missing something completely obvious?

Bathroompants
Aug 19, 2002

ManoliIsFat posted:

They're usually on the 12" single or sometimes the cd single of a song. You can't seperate the vocals out of a mixdown song. Once in a blue moon, you can add an inverted left signal to the right signal, and sometimes you'll get some destructive interference and all you'll be left with is some vocals in a messed up phase, but 95% of the time this stuff comes from a record.

I figured that was the case, but I can never find any when I look for them online. I just sort of had a feeling that there was this underground group I didn't know about that had acapella tracks that I wasn't cool enough to be a part of.