Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sc0tty
Jan 8, 2005

too kewell for school..
Ok I have two.

First was an old pc-game. It was set in medievil times, and there were two parts. There was this kingdom management part which was sort of like a top-down (almost like Medievil: Total War) view where you had to expand and manage your kingdom. Then there was the second part to the game, where you would get your knight and invade other castles to take them over. From memory it was almost like an 'Doom' sort of view and you would walk through the cooridors of the castles to the ultimate goal (which I don't remember what it was) to take over the castle. You would click to swing your axe or your sword or whatever weapon you had. I remember you could also compete in Jousting competitions and fight other knights in competition as an alternative way to expand. I think the ultimate goal was to take over London, but I never could.

The other one was on one of those 1001 game CDs. It was this pirate/trading type game. It may have involved rolling dice to decide the outcome of fights/trades. Again it was like a top-down type view and you could move your boat around, but other then that I don't remember anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gleng
Jun 23, 2004

48KB of Infinite Boobs

sc0tty posted:

Ok I have two.

First was an old pc-game. It was set in medievil times, and there were two parts. There was this kingdom management part which was sort of like a top-down (almost like Medievil: Total War) view where you had to expand and manage your kingdom. Then there was the second part to the game, where you would get your knight and invade other castles to take them over. From memory it was almost like an 'Doom' sort of view and you would walk through the cooridors of the castles to the ultimate goal (which I don't remember what it was) to take over the castle. You would click to swing your axe or your sword or whatever weapon you had. I remember you could also compete in Jousting competitions and fight other knights in competition as an alternative way to expand. I think the ultimate goal was to take over London, but I never could.

Until you mentioned the Doom point of view, I could swear you were talking about Defender of the Crown.

MC Sucka Hater
Jan 28, 2008

It's Time To Succeed.
I'm looking for an older Dreamcast game, I think the title had Arms in it somewhere but when i looked up dreamcast games with that in the name I couldnt find it. The main protagonist was a boy with a weird helmet and had a mechanical arm that was attached to him that he used to attack.

I also remember in the world almost everyone had something strange like that. The intro has him and his butler I think.

Jemak
Dec 27, 2003

Go to JAIL.
Go directly to JAIL.
Do not pass GO.
Do not collect :200bux:

Maumacto posted:

I'm looking for an older Dreamcast game, I think the title had Arms in it somewhere but when i looked up dreamcast games with that in the name I couldnt find it. The main protagonist was a boy with a weird helmet and had a mechanical arm that was attached to him that he used to attack.

I also remember in the world almost everyone had something strange like that. The intro has him and his butler I think.

I'm pretty sure you're talking about EVOLUTION

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolution:_The_World_of_Sacred_Device

As far as Dreamcast RPGs go, it wasn't terrible, but try Grandia 2. Seriously.

Plinth
Nov 28, 2004

Archons of Athens!

markovmodelcitizen posted:

I'm not sure if this game was on C64/128 or Amiga, but it was a 2D, sidescrolling adventure game, and was set in a "dark" futuristic setting.
I think the story was that you had crashed on some alien planet, and had to collect parts to fix your ship. Most of the game time was spent underground in tunnels. If I remember correctly, the main character was a guy in a green uniform, and had some kind of gray (?) pet/sidekick that would turn into a ball and follow him around.

Maybe not quite the dark futuristic setting you were thinking of, and you're not trying to fix your ship, but everything else you say there is basically Dan Dare on the C64.

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

A joint venture of Matsumura Fishworks and Tamaribuchi Heavy Manufacturing Concern

I'm not entirely convinced I didn't make this game up in my mind but here goes

This game is pretty Spore-like and may have been for the Dreamcast.

All I remember is that you start out with your little creature fresh out of the primordial ooze, and as he goes on he fights larger creatures and takes on their traits. Also very similar to the Microbe thread. I recall it being pretty lovely.

Am I imagining things? Did this game exist?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
This has got to be Seventh Cross Evolution.

There's actually a couple of Japan only Dreamcast games that fit this bill also like Golem and LOL if you're interested. The only other US one that comes close is Seaman, though it revolves more around conversation than evolution.

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

A joint venture of Matsumura Fishworks and Tamaribuchi Heavy Manufacturing Concern

Neo Rasa posted:

This has got to be Seventh Cross Evolution.

Oh my god you're right! I knew I wasn't crazy!

I didn't expect to get a correct reply so quickly though. You're awesome

Looks just as lovely as I remember, too. A real shame, since it was a great concept

snackcakes fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Jun 17, 2008

markovmodelcitizen
May 17, 2008

We all Post Down Here...
Oven Wrangler

Plinth posted:

Maybe not quite the dark futuristic setting you were thinking of, and you're not trying to fix your ship, but everything else you say there is basically Dan Dare on the C64.

Awesome, you just saved my sanity! I've been trying to remember what game that was for ages. Thanks! :)

TuxRacer69
May 6, 2007

by Fragmaster
This one may not be enough information but:

-N64 platformer
-I think it had animals? Sheep maybe?
-It was in space
-There was a roller coaster thing, I think. Maybe.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

TuxRacer69 posted:

This one may not be enough information but:

-N64 platformer
-I think it had animals? Sheep maybe?
-It was in space
-There was a roller coaster thing, I think. Maybe.

Space Station Silicon Valley?

TuxRacer69
May 6, 2007

by Fragmaster

GrandpaPants posted:

Space Station Silicon Valley?

Wow, looks about right. Thanks.

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

I was wondering about Legacy of the Wizard. That game gave me quite the run when I was a kid.

I have an easy one. I can't remember the name of the game this hud is from:

From this thread.

Point and click adventure, NES era. Can't remember exactly what it was on though..

Spikey
May 12, 2001

From my cold, dead hands!

Asmodai_00 posted:

I have an easy one. I can't remember the name of the game this hud is from:

From this thread.

Point and click adventure, NES era. Can't remember exactly what it was on though..

Shadowgate. (Also Uninvited and Deja Vu)

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Silly little side-scrolling platformer where you play as a wizard's apprentice who shoots lightning bolts. I think you were trying to rescue your girlfriend and collect treasure (chalices and crowns and stuff like that). The first level was a castle, and in one of the later levels you fought angry walking trees.

I think it opened up with the head of the Wizard Guild or somebody like that talking poo poo to you and then vanishing.

Any ideas?

EDIT: I'll be damned, it was called Hocus Pocus.

Lemniscate Blue fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Jun 17, 2008

pesty13480
Nov 13, 2002

Ask me about peasant etymology!

sc0tty posted:

Ok I have two.

Conqueror 1086

Don't get you hopes up though, I haven't found a way to run it in Windows XP. You could also win by slaying a dragon which you learn isn't so mythical.

Edit:

http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/conqueror-ad-1086

http://www2.worldvillage.com/wv/gamezone/html/reviews/conq.htm

pesty13480 fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Jun 17, 2008

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!
An old 2D point-and-click adventure game on the PC, early 90s. Not LucasArts-- probably Sierra or one of their main competitors. The demo I played involved having to escape from an apartment or hotel room by tying laundry together into an escape rope. I also seem to recall some sort of "meanwhile..." cut scene involving amazon women, or something.

Ringing anyone's bells?

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Sounds like Flight of the Amazon Queen. It's freely available now, works under the SCUMM VM.

sc0tty
Jan 8, 2005

too kewell for school..

pesty13480 posted:

Conqueror 1086

Don't get you hopes up though, I haven't found a way to run it in Windows XP. You could also win by slaying a dragon which you learn isn't so mythical.

Edit:

http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/conqueror-ad-1086

http://www2.worldvillage.com/wv/gamezone/html/reviews/conq.htm

Haha awesome. That's the one. Thanks.

AgentCow007
May 20, 2004
TITLE TEXT
I've asked this before but I forgot again

There's an rail shooter arcade cabinet they used to have at chuck e cheese maybe 12 years ago where you shoot these ghosts that look like they're projected onto a real physical backdrop that looks like a dollhouse, so that the ghosts fly in and out of furnishings as they open and close. It's a really cool effect.

Ron Mexico
Dec 31, 2004

Capsaicin posted:

SNES RPG: Five characters to the party. About as generic an RPG as you can get. Eventually, you went up in the sky. I think the basic "potion" equivalent was "Plums" or something.

This sounds like Lufia II. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lufia_II:_Rise_of_the_Sinistrals

It was a pretty good SNES JRPG as far as they went.

Although it's plum cider, not just plums.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Dr. Video Games 0135 posted:

Baseball game for the NES. It was kind of silly; I'm pretty sure one of the stadiums was on the moon. I think you could break windows when you hit homeruns.

I want to say Dusty Diamond's all star softball, but I'm not sure. You could definitely break windows, but I don't remember a moon level.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

AgentCow007 posted:

I've asked this before but I forgot again

There's an rail shooter arcade cabinet they used to have at chuck e cheese maybe 12 years ago where you shoot these ghosts that look like they're projected onto a real physical backdrop that looks like a dollhouse, so that the ghosts fly in and out of furnishings as they open and close. It's a really cool effect.

Golly! Ghost!

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!

Bieeardo posted:

Sounds like Flight of the Amazon Queen. It's freely available now, works under the SCUMM VM.

Wow. I sure don't remember all these voices sounding so loving stupid. Thanks!

Machismo
Mar 29, 2007

I'm a rapist! Who cares if there's no evidence, I'm guilty until innocent!

Thello posted:

Sentient.

Huh. It almost looks like the movie Sunshine paid some weird homage to Sentient. Both ships are called Icarus and they both look similar.

That might be because I think they are both based on a book.

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos

Thornes posted:

I'm not entirely convinced I didn't make this game up in my mind but here goes

This game is pretty Spore-like and may have been for the Dreamcast.

All I remember is that you start out with your little creature fresh out of the primordial ooze, and as he goes on he fights larger creatures and takes on their traits. Also very similar to the Microbe thread. I recall it being pretty lovely.

Am I imagining things? Did this game exist?

It doesn't fit exactly, but could this be Seaman? You started with an egg in a tank, then eventually there would be multiple organisms in the tank, which ate each other and layed eggs until at the end of the game you end up with one organism left which is multiple evolutionary cycles ahead of the first ones you had.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Sounds like it might be Cubivore. There's EVO too, but that's definitely not a Dreamcast title.

Homeless Wonder
Sep 26, 2005
Not a stupid newbie
I'm looking for the name of an old (10+ years) PC turnbased strategy game set in the American revolution. It might have been included on a CD with several other edutainment games. You had to recruit armies, build ships, and assign various founding fathers to jobs like diplomats, generals and cabinet members.

I remember a few other details, like being able to choose how harshly to treat the Tories and what kind of peace terms to agree to, like settling for Autonomy instead of Independence. And of course, being able to invade Canada.

Here's hoping someone remembers what I'm talking about.

shitting stars
Jun 11, 2008

An old game where you played as a bear that wore an apron and had to push food and stuff down holes. After beating the level the bear would dance. I /think/ it was an arcade game.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
One I used to own and traded in.

A remote control helecopter game for the PS1. May have been made by shiny or someone like that - one of the first to use both analogue sticks properly (around the time of ape escape)

I just remember it being awesome, me playing it to death, and also becoming absolutley poo poo hot at it. i only have a vague memory of it though and I want to see what it was really like.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Here's one that's eluded me for years:

*PC game, circa 1997
*Sprite-based
*Platformer/shooter that involved wasting zombies in a post-apocalyptic setting
*Character had a jetpack with limited fuel
*I think there were rescuable hostages/survivors?

Any idea?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I played a game a year or so ago and uninstalled it from lack of time, it was a modern freeware (I think) TBS that compared itself to Master of Magic. Decent oldschool gfx.

There was stuff on how you claim villages to generate both income and magic generation, and the mana was dumped into a kingdom-wide pool that mages tapped from. A good mage had like 5 pts in 'channelling' and could spend 50 mana points a turn, with the biggest spells costing like 200 and taking 4 [overworld] turns to slowly cast. Overworld view looked a lot like Westnoth.

Can't remember the name of it for the life of me, and google's not turning up much here. Thanks in advance

Plinth
Nov 28, 2004

Archons of Athens!

cubicle gangster posted:

One I used to own and traded in.

A remote control helecopter game for the PS1. May have been made by shiny or someone like that - one of the first to use both analogue sticks properly (around the time of ape escape)

I just remember it being awesome, me playing it to death, and also becoming absolutley poo poo hot at it. i only have a vague memory of it though and I want to see what it was really like.

RC Stunt Copter, indeed developed by Shiny.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Here's one that's eluded me for years:

*PC game, circa 1997
*Sprite-based
*Platformer/shooter that involved wasting zombies in a post-apocalyptic setting
*Character had a jetpack with limited fuel
*I think there were rescuable hostages/survivors?

Any idea?

That sounds like Halloween Harry/Alien Carnage. http://www.3drealms.com/news/2007/05/alien_carnage_freeware.html

E1M7
Aug 25, 2005

You can hear my music, in your pulse, faster and faster thumping... you are doomed.
I got one I've been trying to remember the name of forever. All I remember is

*Group of gnomelike people who you could hide in trees, who could also build houses.
*Inside the houses you had 4 rooms, 1 room had one of your little guys bouncing on a bed, and that was the procreation room, which would generate more dudes, you could then allot a number of people to weapon research, construction or military purposes.
*you could lay traps to take out the enemy group.

I also remember as time went on I think you could convert the house they lived in into a stone tower or something, it was a very clever game of it's time, I got it around the same time I got Blackthorne and Warcraft 1 so I imagine it's horribly dated, but if there's any hope of finding out what this game is I'm sure you guys can help me out.

Serious Michael
Oct 13, 2007

Is only joking.

Higgums posted:

An old game where you played as a bear that wore an apron and had to push food and stuff down holes. After beating the level the bear would dance. I /think/ it was an arcade game.

I actually just want a next-gen port of this game, the 360 would make the dancing apron bear look amazing.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Z is for... posted:

I got one I've been trying to remember the name of forever. All I remember is

*Group of gnomelike people who you could hide in trees, who could also build houses.
*Inside the houses you had 4 rooms, 1 room had one of your little guys bouncing on a bed, and that was the procreation room, which would generate more dudes, you could then allot a number of people to weapon research, construction or military purposes.
*you could lay traps to take out the enemy group.

I also remember as time went on I think you could convert the house they lived in into a stone tower or something, it was a very clever game of it's time, I got it around the same time I got Blackthorne and Warcraft 1 so I imagine it's horribly dated, but if there's any hope of finding out what this game is I'm sure you guys can help me out.

I might have played the demo of this, but how about Baldies?

E1M7
Aug 25, 2005

You can hear my music, in your pulse, faster and faster thumping... you are doomed.

Andrigaar posted:

I might have played the demo of this, but how about Baldies?

That's the game! awesome, now I can stop getting that game stuck in my head nameless! now to see if it has made it to abandonware yet.

captain n
Nov 14, 2005

hay hay hay!
I have one, played it as a kid on my PC maybe 10 to 12 years ago. seemed to have pretty decent 3d at the time. You are in space on other planets, and you basically drive around space tanks blowing up other people and completing missions. You can get out of your vehicle and snipe. Had a neat online multiplayer where you fought other players. I remember playing it with a dial up connection, which was interesting.

*edit* It was called Battlezone, 1998 remake. Battlezone II was also made. *edit*

captain n fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Jun 23, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I have been trying to remember one for a while now.

It was about 10-12 years ago (came on a demo disc from PC Gamer magazine).

It was a 3d flight sim space kinda game, sort of like xwing or tie fighter, except when I was playing it, and shot someone I saw this awesome polygonal "shield" effect because the enemy fighter still had shields. Needless to say this was a total "HOLY poo poo" :aaa: moment in gaming for me. They would show up blue, then red, then the fighter would start taking damage. I am pretty sure this was when I was using Win95 if that helps any.

I think this was the first game I had ever seen where the other ships shields would show when you were dogfighting, and it just shattered my fragile mind with the sheer awesomeness of the moment.

I don't think it made it past the demo stage. I do know it was a sequel to a space sim/flight game, and I remember getting an email from the company after I emailed them for a release date, and they let me know it had been canceled :smith:

• Locked thread