Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Sock It posted:

First generation playstation game. It was a racer, not dissimilar to wipeout, but with weapons, and you were tied to the track somehow. The opening sequence was cool (at the time) pre-rendered cgi of two racers fighting each other.

Was this Hi-octane? You're not tied to the track (you drive very skiddy hovercraft instead), but it was an early PSX racing/combat game. The intro video had a large ring-shaped hovercar fighting against another that looked a lot like the delorean from back to the future, if I remember correctly.

Crazy Achmed fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Jun 25, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
I remember a friend of my brother's had some kind of subscription to a PC magazine, and it would come with PC demos every month or so.

One month, he brought over a CD with a demo on it of some FMV fighting game. It was first person and the gameplay only consisted of you clicking on where you wanted to hit the guy. You only had a few seconds to do so. There were also girls in bikinis cheering you on. It has to be from early/mid-90's

I have been looking for this game for what seems like forever. Would gladly pay for an avatar or premium to someone that could locate this game. I just have to know if it really was as good as I remember.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Talor posted:

I remember a friend of my brother's had some kind of subscription to a PC magazine, and it would come with PC demos every month or so.

One month, he brought over a CD with a demo on it of some FMV fighting game. It was first person and the gameplay only consisted of you clicking on where you wanted to hit the guy. You only had a few seconds to do so. There were also girls in bikinis cheering you on. It has to be from early/mid-90's

I have been looking for this game for what seems like forever. Would gladly pay for an avatar or premium to someone that could locate this game. I just have to know if it really was as good as I remember.

Sounds like Supreme Warrior

This thread is making me think of all sorts of mediocre games from 10+ years ago. I love it.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

Andrigaar posted:

Sounds like Supreme Warrior

This thread is making me think of all sorts of mediocre games from 10+ years ago. I love it.

Yikes, it's not that game. That one looks terrible by the way. :D

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Talor posted:

Yikes, it's not that game. That one looks terrible by the way. :D

Wiki has a nice list of FMV games you can scan over. No guarantee it's listed though.

Gleng
Jun 23, 2004

48KB of Infinite Boobs

pud posted:

This might not be right either and I haven't seen any vids of it so the perspective may be off, but Sega had another flight/combat game called Wing War that included a bunch of different jets and helicopters.

Holy poo poo! I think that's it!

(Well, the one I'm thinking of anyway.)

Tyrian
Sep 2, 2002
NEEDS MORE FIESTACAT! DUHHHR
There was this racing game on the PC I played sometime in the early 2000s.

I thought the name of it was Death Race but all the searching I've done shows up the dumb 3d Death Race 2000 game, or the one that came out for the NES/arcade decades ago.

What I can remember about this game, was that it was (I'm pretty sure) a top-down view. You got to race cars, there were power-ups on on the course, and you got money at the end of the races, and I'm almost positive you could upgrade your car or buy better ones.

I know it was on the pc, and it was tons of fun. Can anybody think of what I'm talking about?

edit: fairly sure it had weapons and stuff like that in the game too.

edit: found it! Death Rally

Tyrian fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jun 25, 2008

Mega Fone
Apr 27, 2007

I paint my fingernails with gloss varnish so I can feel like a pretty girl. :3:
I wonder if anyone can help me remember my favourite game as a child.

It was some sort of puzzle adventure game on the PC I think where you started off by creating a bunch of people? they might have been some sort of eggs though, out of different body parts, I remember having roller skates as one of the choices.

Once you had done this you had to get them to the other side of the map or something like that with as many of them alive as possible, navigating through puzzles on the way there.

I remember one of the puzzles being a pair of bridges with statues at the end of each of them that were allergic to certain body parts and sneezed them off the bridge if they were.

I miss that game, help? :(

Edit:

Another one, it reminded me a bit of theme hospital or something like that, but instead of a hospital you had to build houses on a development block or something like? I remember you were able to chose who lived there but started off with trashy looking people and you could also upgrade the houses to make them happy etc, I think it was called construction or something like that, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mega Fone fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jun 25, 2008

FabioClone
Oct 3, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
A game from the 90's: A 2D game where you control a spaceship. You went from planet to planet doing different jobs, talking to people, and fighting other ships. I think it was shareware, where the first episode was free and you'd have to pay for the rest. I remember that when you would hail other ships and planets, their picture would appear in the corner of the screen and you would have dialog options. The only other thing I remember is that one of the alien ships you would fight looked like a red triangle.

I know it's not much, but anybody remember this?

yanthrax
Oct 18, 2004

straight in wit da barney rubble ridin spinnaz

Mega Fone posted:

I wonder if anyone can help me remember my favourite game as a child.

It was some sort of puzzle adventure game on the PC I think where you started off by creating a bunch of people? they might have been some sort of eggs though, out of different body parts, I remember having roller skates as one of the choices.

Once you had done this you had to get them to the other side of the map or something like that with as many of them alive as possible, navigating through puzzles on the way there.

I remember one of the puzzles being a pair of bridges with statues at the end of each of them that were allergic to certain body parts and sneezed them off the bridge if they were.

I miss that game, help? :(

This sounds like it could be one of the Zoombini games.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zoombinis

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

FabioClone posted:

A game from the 90's: A 2D game where you control a spaceship. You went from planet to planet doing different jobs, talking to people, and fighting other ships. I think it was shareware, where the first episode was free and you'd have to pay for the rest. I remember that when you would hail other ships and planets, their picture would appear in the corner of the screen and you would have dialog options. The only other thing I remember is that one of the alien ships you would fight looked like a red triangle.

Solar Winds by Epic, maybe?

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.

FabioClone posted:

Was it on a Mac? If so, kinda sounds like Escape Velocity.

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe

Bieeardo posted:

Thank you.

Even if it isn't what FabioClone meant, this is the game I thought he meant too but I couldn't give it a name despite spending some time searching.

Spud_Appleton
Jan 12, 2006
Thank God for this thread! I've had a game stuck in the back of my mind for years now but can never think of it's name. So you start out as this small guy dressed in red (possibly a plumber?) or his brother who is dressed all in green. It is a platformer where you are searching for what I beleive is a Princess (possibly Princess Plum or some sort of fruit) Also I believe the was this red mushroom that made you grow larger.

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

:retrogames: :3: :retrogames:

Pork Pro

Spud_Appleton posted:

Thank God for this thread! I've had a game stuck in the back of my mind for years now but can never think of it's name. So you start out as this small guy dressed in red (possibly a plumber?) or his brother who is dressed all in green. It is a platformer where you are searching for what I beleive is a Princess (possibly Princess Plum or some sort of fruit) Also I believe the was this red mushroom that made you grow larger.

I'm pretty sure you just made that one up man

torjus
Nov 22, 2005

I want YOU to MSPaint!

Spud_Appleton posted:

Thank God for this thread! I've had a game stuck in the back of my mind for years now but can never think of it's name. So you start out as this small guy dressed in red (possibly a plumber?) or his brother who is dressed all in green. It is a platformer where you are searching for what I beleive is a Princess (possibly Princess Plum or some sort of fruit) Also I believe the wa this red mushroom that made you grow bigger.

DooM 2: Hell on Earth
http://www.mobygames.com/game/doom-ii-hell-on-earth

Its source was released by iD, so you can run it in Windows or whatever with for example ZDoom. Check out Doomworld for more info. You will ned the full WAD to run the full game, but it also works with the shareware WAD.

Hope this helps!

Weedle
May 31, 2006

there's this game where you're like playing ping pong or something

it's old

Crazy Dinosaur
Jul 11, 2007

by Fragmaster
There was a Battleship type game in the early 90s, I believe, and all I can remember of it was one of the difficulty settings was called "Snowball's day in Hell". Anyone know this one? I'm pretty sure it was a DOS game.

Xankrys
Jul 26, 2006

Four Sheets to the Wind in Copenhagen

yanthrax posted:

That is for a fact Logical Journey of the Zoombinis. I'm replaying it right now. For a game that runs on Quicktime 2 it still looks drat good.

Spud_Appleton
Jan 12, 2006

torjus posted:

DooM 2: Hell on Earth
http://www.mobygames.com/game/doom-ii-hell-on-earth

Its source was released by iD, so you can run it in Windows or whatever with for example ZDoom. Check out Doomworld for more info. You will ned the full WAD to run the full game, but it also works with the shareware WAD.

Hope this helps!

Thats it! Thank you so much, you have no idea how relived I feel!... Now if I could only remember the one with this blue porcupine like thing and his mutated fox partner...

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.
It's an old NES game that was a bad rip of tetris, but instead of blocks it used things like triangles and diamond shaped figures and you had to make a line using that. It was stupidly difficult sometimes, and it had an egyptian theme. I think it was called Sphinx or something but what I remember most about the game was its background theme. The music was something painfully familiar to me, it might have been Snake Charmer playing. If anyone could identify the game and that background theme, I'd be so grateful.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Gleng posted:

Holy poo poo! I think that's it!

(Well, the one I'm thinking of anyway.)

That may be a winner! Thanks so much.

Edit: It is, here's a clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzff1CKAuzM

The single player "chase you, okay now chase me" mode cinches it. Thanks again!

Midjack fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jun 26, 2008

pud
Jul 9, 2001

Emalde posted:

It's an old NES game that was a bad rip of tetris, but instead of blocks it used things like triangles and diamond shaped figures and you had to make a line using that. It was stupidly difficult sometimes, and it had an egyptian theme. I think it was called Sphinx or something but what I remember most about the game was its background theme. The music was something painfully familiar to me, it might have been Snake Charmer playing. If anyone could identify the game and that background theme, I'd be so grateful.

There was a series called Pyramid, there were at least two or three of them, this might be one of those.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

pud posted:

There was a series called Pyramid, there were at least two or three of them, this might be one of those.

Awesome, this is totally it

Thanks, and I didn't know there were more. Now if only I knew what that loving background music was. :geno:

pud
Jul 9, 2001

Emalde posted:

Awesome, this is totally it

Thanks, and I didn't know there were more. Now if only I knew what that loving background music was. :geno:

Judging by the ROM it's just that stereotypical egyptian theme kids use for that "There's a place in France..." thing.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

pud posted:

egyptian theme kids use for that "There's a place in France..." thing.

What? Elaborate a bit more?

FabioClone
Oct 3, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Bieeardo posted:

This is definitely it! Thank you.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
PS1 game about sheep rustling where you played a Coyote. Was about stealth. There was this massive dog there too. Looked like an old Fred Quimby cartoon.

Astorac
Jun 12, 2008

Progress (n.): The process through which the Internet has evolved from smart people in front of dumb terminals to dumb people in front of smart terminals.

Sion posted:

PS1 game about sheep rustling where you played a Coyote. Was about stealth. There was this massive dog there too. Looked like an old Fred Quimby cartoon.

I'm thinking Sheep Raider.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Emalde posted:

What? Elaborate a bit more?

I think he means this.

Mega Fone
Apr 27, 2007

I paint my fingernails with gloss varnish so I can feel like a pretty girl. :3:

yanthrax posted:

gently caress, Thank you so much :D

Now to find a copy somewhere and reclaim my childhood.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Bieeardo posted:

I think he means this.

Yes, thank you. I figured it was snake charmer but I didn't know.

Catholic Hooker
Mar 30, 2007

I've never been able to remember the name of this game, and it's driven me crazy.

It was an NES sidescroller and you played as a small indian character throughout levels and then came across the boss dude for each level and beat him as well. Now that I think about it, they were probably trying to steal a bit of Megaman's fanbase but no one else I've ever talked to has ever played it. Help!

Nuclear Pogostick
Apr 9, 2007

Bouncing towards victory
It was an "educational" math game on old Apple IIs (I think) where you had to select a problem and the solution would make you move x number of steps, and you had to race, against a friend or the AI, taking turns.If you landed on certain spaces (I forget how they were marked) you would either fall down a level, get some sort of bonus, or make your opponent fall. It looked something like this, except the black lines were narrower and farther spaced apart (click):

Nuclear Pogostick fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Jun 26, 2008

pud
Jul 9, 2001

oh buzz off posted:

I've never been able to remember the name of this game, and it's driven me crazy.

It was an NES sidescroller and you played as a small indian character throughout levels and then came across the boss dude for each level and beat him as well. Now that I think about it, they were probably trying to steal a bit of Megaman's fanbase but no one else I've ever talked to has ever played it. Help!

Whomp 'Em.

Catholic Hooker
Mar 30, 2007

pud posted:

Whomp 'Em.

Kickass! That's it, I knew I wasn't imagining things. Thanks a lot.

edit: And I just found a Deceased Crab LP of it too. Sweet!

Catholic Hooker fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Jun 26, 2008

JRPereira
Jun 24, 2008
I was going to post asking for help with two games but I finally figured out the first one - Galactix. This is the first time that my vague google searches have yielded a result for this game!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAMM5vqtxKg Gameplay of galactix (just in case anyone else is trying to figure out the name of an old dos vertical shmup)

-----

The other is a sidescrolling platformer for the genesis that is strangely similar (at least visually) to the NES game conquest of the crystal palace (more indoor environments though). I seem to remember it having some emphasis on red and blue spheres. I remember seeing it on display somewhere in some sort of demo mode. I'm not sure I rented it, but I remember thinking the gameplay was really interesting and have the feeling that I played through a large portion of the game.

It seemed to be less about sword attacks and a lot of spells and projectiles. I don't remember seeing the dog either.

Was there a sequel to or clone of conquest of the crystal palace?

Bob Smith
Jan 5, 2006
Well Then, What Shall We Start With?
A DOS game that was a sidescrolling adventure like Dragon's Lair, but which had really nice .bmp graphics (I remember the backgrounds were .bmps because I used to import them into MSPaint with "Paste Special" and make my own "levels" and write fanfiction about them.) One of the areas was a kind of blue cathedral with vaults and a waterfall on one side, and there may have been a rolling rock.

I seem to recall you had to press buttons and solve puzzles to stop things happening (like the rock rolling down and killing you.) It was probably fantasy themed, but I really can't recall. My memory makes it seem like a more hi-res La-Mulana, but it certainly wasn't La-Mulana!

Also, there was a platformer for DOS that looked a bit like Commander Keen, but probably wasn't (your character looked a lot more like the dude from Crystal Caves, but the graphics were more futuristic and Keen 6-like.)

Bob Smith fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Jun 26, 2008

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Astorac posted:

I'm thinking Sheep Raider.

Aye that's the one cheers. I was called something else in the UK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Bob Smith posted:

A DOS game that was a sidescrolling adventure like Dragon's Lair, but which had really nice .bmp graphics (I remember the backgrounds were .bmps because I used to import them into MSPaint with "Paste Special" and make my own "levels" and write fanfiction about them.) One of the areas was a kind of blue cathedral with vaults and a waterfall on one side, and there may have been a rolling rock.

I seem to recall you had to press buttons and solve puzzles to stop things happening (like the rock rolling down and killing you.) It was probably fantasy themed, but I really can't recall. My memory makes it seem like a more hi-res La-Mulana, but it certainly wasn't La-Mulana!

Also, there was a platformer for DOS that looked a bit like Commander Keen, but probably wasn't (your character looked a lot more like the dude from Crystal Caves, but the graphics were more futuristic and Keen 6-like.)

When you mentioned Crystal Caves first thing that came to mind was Secret Agent. http://www.3drealms.com/agent/

It's probably not it but worth a shot. It used the same engine so it wasn't too "Keen 6-like."

• Locked thread