Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!
Does anyone remember a Heroes of Might and Magic clone that was set in Viking times?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

Psychorider posted:

There's Hammer of the Gods, which inspired the creation of Heroes of Might and Magic according to Wikipedia.

Yep, that's the one, thanks!

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

Thievery posted:

I'm looking for a PS2 game that I remembered out of nowhere last night. I don't remember the story but for the gameplay, it was a third person hack and slash game where you could summon monsters to fight for you. You'd pick 2 of them before the mission I think, then you could use them on that one. There was archers, swordsmen, bombs...I don't remember the others but there was one called Thanatos I think that you were looking for the pieces of throughout the game.

I think your guy had red hair.

Chaos Legion. The link is to an LP.

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

Barrelfox posted:

This one is kind of obscure - there is a freeware adventure game that was released in the mid 2000s that featured classic lucasarts style artwork and interface, it was text only for speech.

All i can remember was that the first part of the game was set in the arctic and you played a scientist that had been dropped off at an outpost that had come across some alien artifacts. In the second act of the game, using some sort of alien mask your character is transported to another world.

The game was quite difficult and was criticised for having an overly complex story for the length of the game.

I hate to say it but I think I know the one that you mean, but I can't identify it for you. I think it was made with Adventure Game Studio and won some kind of award, but I searched through their library of award winners and didn't see it. I read a review of it somewhere, once.

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

Mercs?

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

Ridge_Runner_5 posted:

Computer also came with a demo for Silent Steel. Now that was a great game!

You saw the LP that just started, right?

Edit: VVV not a problem.

HoldYourFire fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Oct 8, 2011

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

Troll. Ignore me. posted:

Possibly mid-late 90s 3rd person shooter. I played a demo of it a long time ago.

You had multiple people on your team and I think there was some way to switch which one you were controlling, maybe it was even necessary to finish a level (though I'm not sure about that point). Pistols, assault rifles, that kind of thing. It played the CD drive so I remember listening to the same Beatles track from the CD I always left in back then over and over while playing it.

If I recall correctly, it was fairly bad/poorly-made.

Rebels: Prison Escape?

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

ZearothK posted:

I'm trying to remember a 90s sci-fi strategy game, same 2d graphical style as the early Warcraft games. I remember it had some unusual resources, and one of the species were these purple snake-like beings who collected slaves, as well as a race of ox-like guys who were these revolting slaves. I think there were one or two other species, but I haven't the vaguest image of them. I'm quite sure there were two games in these series, if it helps.

War Wind?

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

DebonaireD posted:

I'm trying to remember a very old DOS game that I think came out in the mid-80s. All I can remember is that I think it was a international spy theme and there was a large map of the world or part of the world in dark blue. This would have been EGA or maybe even CGA graphics. But it was mostly text-based, and I think the parser and text was on the left hand side of the screen, and the graphics would be on the right.

Sid Meier's Covert Action doesn't seem to fit perfectly but you could give that a go.

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

Hakkesshu posted:

I'm trying to remember the name of an Amiga game.

Basically, it is top-down and tile-based. I think it's a puzzle game. The most notable thing about it is the artstyle; the main character is like a bald dwarf and I remember him looking up and screaming at the player. The general colour palette is very dark and brown and there was a sort of surreal nightmare fuel quality to it. The game featured still images of the main character looking creepy in a Monty Python or Edward Gorey-esque fashion.

Also, I seem to recall there being a convoluted story as well as a sequel and there was this weird allegorical norse mythology thing going on.

Not Heimdall?

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

To be honest I didn't really think it was Heimdall, I just wanted to get the obvious suggestion out of the way.

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

teamdest posted:

over a decade ago I played a game on the Sega Genesis, that I remember as being incredibly fun, but now the only solid thing I can remember is that it was a platformy game and there was SOME kind of... ferris wheel? carnival? zone or theme to the game. Not a lot to go on, I know.

Equally unlikely, I had a PC cdrom of demo/shareware games, and there were two games on there that I played constantly. One was a space-trader-ish game that I keep thinking was called "solaris" but that doesn't turn up anything I could find. the graphics were very simple, lines and dots for planets.

the other of the two games was a lemmings-type game set aboard the RMS Lusitania, and you played some kinda scuba diver guy flipping switches and poo poo to reverse conveyor belts to keep the passengers safe and get them to an exit.

First one might be something like Zool, third one is "SOS" (beware, there's two very similar games called that).

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

THE PWNER posted:

2) Was an indie top down space game where you travelled around with your ship, purchased upgrades, battled, etc. It had multiple star systems that you accessed via warp gates if I remember correctly. The one identifying thing I remember is that there was a sort of boxed in arena in one of the last star systems where you duelled other ships, and that this was an early open beta version. I probably played it around 07-08?

I'm going to suggest Star Control 2: The Ur-Quan Masters, not because I think that's right, but to get it out of the way.

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

Teddles posted:

Been looking for an RTS, it'll be pretty old by now, at least 6/7 years but could be much older. I think from the trailer that it had a fantasy theme. I remember you could capture wild horses and put individual soldiers on them to make them into cavalry. Archers only had so much ammo and you needed to bring carts with you to resupply them. You could make training dummies for your soldiers to spar with to get better. Resources were transferred from the point of gathering to a collection point by cart.

Sounds like either Battle Realms or that Three Kingdoms game I posted a little while ago, wait while I get the title.

Edit: Three Kingdoms: Fate of the Dragon.

HoldYourFire fucked around with this message at 10:52 on May 13, 2012

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

PROTOSTORM!!! posted:

An early Xbox title; it was a game centered around playing a blood sport, where you use a disk to score goals, you can also win by Killing the other team, your team-mates could also die and require money from matches to be resurrected.

The teams all had different themes, which matched strengths and weaknesses. Such as the police are the most physically brutal, the kung fu team was the quickest.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deathrow_%28video_game%29

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

SlenderWhore posted:

I'm trying to remember a freeware game you could download for PC. It was a "choose your own adventure" style comic (this is a key here, it was known for being comic book style) where you could pick your own choices, starring a married businessman. It was meant to be an action game but it was actually pretty hilarious if you made the wrong decisions, like at one point you could accidentally sexually assault someone and it'd ruin your reputation. I remember there was a fashion show near the end or something.

I downloaded it in like the mid to late 00's by the way.

Masq.

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

ToastyPotato posted:

Back in the late 90's I had a disk with a bunch of sharewares and things like that on it. On of the games was a 100% top down, galleon styled naval combat game. You controlled a single ship and could fire cannons from either side of the boat, sinking enemy ships as you went. The map was finite, and if you went off the edge, you literally went over the edge, and you would see a little animation of you ship falling off of a flat Earth. I thought the game was called "Galleons" or something, but Googling isn't turning up anything!

There's Overboard/Shipwreckers, for PSX, possibly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

Bloody Pom posted:

I remember playing a game when I was kid that was sort of like a mix between an early space fighter sim and Descent. Similar graphics, but the missions were more open. Some had you doing strafing runs on surface targets, then flying into enemy fortresses to destroy a core-like structure with automated defenses. Another mission was a Death Star-esque trench run. It was hard as hell, but awesome at the same time.

I originally thought it was Tyrian, but then I figured out that was the name of another, different (but still awesome) game I'd forgotten about.

I'm not completely sure, but I think the shareware version came loaded onto the Duke Nukem 3D disc.

Surely not Terminal Velocity which just got added to GOG? Either that or Fury3/Hellbender.

• Locked thread