Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«1092 »
beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Sorry, if your grandfather kept that pinky ring up his rear end then I get why youíd wear it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

Fun Shoe

I can neither confirm nor deny how many of my family members had this ring up their rear end.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Also sexism, religious bias, jingoism, and so on. Don't do it, people!

Dogs, don't do it either, even if the police man really tries to train you to do it.

I've heard sticking something up there can make your orgasms better, after all.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Detroit

College Slice

Rings are for the front not the back.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

Proč bychom se netěšili když nám Pán Bůh zdraví dá?

You already have a ring in the back. Your little brown one

Kadath
Aug 17, 2004

Put Your 'Lectric Eye On Me, Babe

Grimey Drawer

Wingnut Ninja posted:

So I actually got asked just the other day about wearing my watch on the left wrist despite being left handed. Like, I'm still capable of using my right hand, and generally the knobs or buttons are set up to use it on your left wrist, so that's how I've always worn them.

When I used to wear a watch a lot as a left handed person I also aways wore it on the left hand and never had an issue. Im really not sure what issue people think you will have anyway. I also had someone try to guess (incorrectly) that I was not left handed because I wore a watch on my left hand, so i think its a pretty widespread belief.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

moths posted:

I see right wrist watch and just assume someone's left handed.

Whatís the logic behind this? That you donít want a watch on your working hand? I cringe when I see watches, especially nice ones left on when doing messy work like kneading dough or raw meat or batter work etc. same for rings. I donít get it. Take that shif off.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!

Nap Ghost

Shaocaholica posted:

Whatís the logic behind this? That you donít want a watch on your working hand? I cringe when I see watches, especially nice ones left on when doing messy work like kneading dough or raw meat or batter work etc. same for rings. I donít get it. Take that shif off.

If you're recording time it's easier to write with your dominant hand while looking at your non-dominant wrist.

Not that it's especially difficult to look at your wrist and then write with that same hand but that split second of memorization can be enough to derail your train of thought.

At least, that's what I presume based on my experience needing to record events

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Check out my hot takes because I'm a straight white male

It can catch on things and be a (minor) hindrance. Also letís you look at the time while doing something more important with your dominant hand, like writing, as DarkHorse mentioned.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006
BLITHERING IDIOT

Shaocaholica posted:

Whatís the logic behind this? That you donít want a watch on your working hand?

Yes. Also, winding a watch (back when that was something you had to do twice a day) is a fiddly task that's a bit easier to do with your dominant hand. Now it's just tradition.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

I'm left handed and I still wear my watch on my left wrist because a) that's how the controls are set up and b) that's where watches go.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Shaocaholica posted:

What’s the logic behind this? That you don’t want a watch on your working hand?

It's mostly about keeping your watch nice.

If someone accidently puts a hand where it'll wreck a watch, it'll likely be their working hand.

(Plus it's hard to put a watch on using my stupid hand.)

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I always wore my watch on the inside left wrist. Some old Grunt showed me as a kid, and explained why (primary hand stays on weapon when you check the time/compass, inside less likely to flash light, and less likely to bang into something and break), and I never lost the habit, even though that poo poo is no longer pertinent in my life.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

Back when I managed a nice restaurant, I wore watches because I was in a tie. It was also a requirement to be able to time stuff down to the second.

I kept it on my right wrist and ruined four steel straps. They were mesh, but holy God they got filthy. I never caught them on anything, either. I had a dress shirt cuff covering them. But when I'd clean them, I'd have to let them soak in a solution that would slowly turn grey then black.

The right vs. left thing didn't enter into it. But using "nice" watches at a manual work sort of job went through them real quick.

(Skagen was the brand I wore, just in case you were wondering. Want to look smart for less than $120? But a loving Skagen.)

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

I wear $12 Casio watches because they're functional and I beat the ever-loving poo poo out of them. Even so, they last until the battery dies, and then I get another one. I would never wear a nice watch because I'm terrified I would damage it.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

Preechr posted:

I wear $12 Casio watches because they're functional and I beat the ever-loving poo poo out of them. Even so, they last until the battery dies, and then I get another one. I would never wear a nice watch because I'm terrified I would damage it.

A "nice watch" should be bought with the ability to change out the strap. Straps get damaged - shut in car doors, caught on counters, filthy, etc. If it's some sort of collectable and that's your thing, change the strap instantly and keep the original safe.

Good watch movements (the watch part) aren't going to get scratched, let alone damaged, from normal use. With a little poking around, you can get a nice looking near un-killable watch movement for about a bill.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

$400 can get you a really nice Rolex replica only a watch nerd with a microscope can tell from a real one

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!

Nap Ghost

Captain Log posted:

A "nice watch" should be bought with the ability to change out the strap. Straps get damaged - shut in car doors, caught on counters, filthy, etc. If it's some sort of collectable and that's your thing, change the strap instantly and keep the original safe.

Good watch movements (the watch part) aren't going to get scratched, let alone damaged, from normal use. With a little poking around, you can get a nice looking near un-killable watch movement for about a bill.

Watch faces of better brands are often made of sapphire or other super-hard materials and stand up to abuse a lot better too

Shaocaholica posted:

$400 can get you a really nice Rolex replica only a watch nerd with a microscope can tell from a real one

Hell, sometimes they're "genuine" but Rolex disavows them because they didn't resell them right or something

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

My daily wear watch is a first gen apple watch that I got as a gift from a friend who liked theirs and upgraded. Gotta admit, it's nice. The health tracker stuff works for me. It's also convenient to be able to tell my wrist to start a timer for ten minutes if I'm cooking or whatever.

Besides that I've got two watches I keep around for wearing on occasion. One is a Wenger. I guess it's swiss army watch? It's a pretty decent looking men's watch and it was the first gift my wife ever got me. I wore it a bunch in grad school and I'll break it out once in a while. The battery's dead right now but besides that it's always worked great. The face has a small chip in it that I need to get fixed someday but I'll probably just keep wearing it a bit beat up. I think it's on it's fourth or fifth band now.

The other is a soviet submarine watch (?). I think I bought it from some surplus website in like 2006 or so and it certainly has the look of "this is a nice thing that was made in the USSR." The writing on the back is in cyrillic and it's obviously not a million years old, but it's also manually wound. Might be fake, but if it is it's a hell of a nice fake because the action seems pretty solid. Really I suspect it's just what it claims to be because it just has that feel to it.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

My main watch is a now fairly beat-up Timex Weekender with a fabric strap, which I will switch out periodically. I've got a Seiko Auto 5, but the mechanism has an issue and it won't stay wound.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

I have a nice Bremont aviator watch that I got in a squadron buy, which ironically I don't wear when flying to avoid getting it scuffed or damaged (or just generally gross). I fly with a $30 timex which keeps better time and lights up.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

My Apple Watch (series four) was an incredible gift that helped me change my health for the far better. I'll always wear one, but I've gotta admit, I miss having six or seven watches to pick from depending on my outfit. Yeah, I swap my straps out daily (plastic/rubber/latex strap for exercise, cloth/velcro for around the house, leather or metal mesh for going out), but I miss my watch arsenal.

I know Apple Watches might be a trendy gadget, but they don't hold a candle to the style of a well selected timepiece.

I often wonder how dated it will look in pictures twenty years from now, but I could give a gently caress.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I haven't worn a watch since the 80s. I lost the one I had in a creek playing with other kids and I never really cared after that.

DkHelmet
Jul 10, 2001

I pity the foal...

Shaocaholica posted:

Where, without getting ripped off?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

DkHelmet posted:

I havenít been around the scene lately but the replica watch forums are a good place to find the vendors/reviews/etc.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I wear a 'nice' watch- a cheap Invicta that I bought a few years ago at the end of the model year. Each year their watches get dropped to 50% in price around the same time as dealers get new models, it seems.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Who would win in a fight: 100 duck-sized horses, or one horse-sized duck?

~SMcD

DkHelmet posted:

Search for the reptime reddit.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Shaocaholica posted:

ranbo das posted:

Search for the reptime reddit.

Welp you guys just sent me down a rabbithole for the rest of the night. I'm already laughing about all the fake watch snobs on fake watch subreddit. Talking about how you shouldn't buy Replica Watch X until you buy the lower-tier Replica Watch Y because it won't "fit your image" or someshit. I don't know anything about watches but it's fun to browse through the websites and price check.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

Trillhouse posted:

Welp you guys just sent me down a rabbithole for the rest of the night. I'm already laughing about all the fake watch snobs on fake watch subreddit. Talking about how you shouldn't buy Replica Watch X until you buy the lower-tier Replica Watch Y because it won't "fit your image" or someshit. I don't know anything about watches but it's fun to browse through the websites and price check.

Actual watch nerds are terrible.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

YouTube Archie Luxury.

Proper Kerni ng
Nov 14, 2011

Old School, motherhubbards!

Shaocaholica posted:

My dad wears his watch on the inside of his right wrist from decades spent holding the greasy parts in place in engines compartments with his left hand while he worked the tools with his right.

I don't wear watches because I'd have to get bands from the Kids section; I'm built like a poorly-drawn cartoon, with normal human arms but skinny little wizard wrists from wrecking bones as a dumb teenager.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

I have bizarrely thin wrists hooked up to XXL glove wearing hands. I hear ya.

Removing links is incredibly easy with the right tool, by the by.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Captain Log posted:

I have bizarrely thin wrists hooked up to XXL glove wearing hands. I hear ya.

Removing links is incredibly easy with the right tool, by the by.

It amuses me that Casio has an entire line of watches and bands with diminutive sizing for sale in Asian countries. The F-91W adjusts to a size small enough to fit on my dog's ankle and stay there (if you can get it on her), just how tiny are the people Casio sells these things to?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

It's true this JDM Seiko is super tiny 36mm(?) but I have small asian wrists so it works out.

This Maratac was my daily when I did the watch thing. I stopped when I had my first kid so I wouldn't constantly bump them with the hard/sharp watch corners.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Shaocaholica posted:

Airports, freight docks, etc the idea was that you do more fine manual work with your dominant hand and are most likely to break it on that wrist. Also easier to see the time on your off hand while hanging on to a tow motor, etc with your dominant hand. I've always worn small cheap watches inside out on my left wrist and I've still killed about a dozen Timex Weekenders over the last 20 years.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Detroit

College Slice

Watches are for cowards, I don't need one for the same reason I don't need glass on my guns - because I can just use a stick to do the same job only easier!

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Watch chat:

The back plate on this one is made from B-52 scrap. It was a gift.

Most of the time I wear my Apple Watch, but I have a couple Bulovas that I picked up on cruise ships.

Akion
May 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

I just realized I posted watch chat in the non-watch chat thread.

Akion posted:

My watch is a 4 year old Seiko SNE331 that's scratched to poo poo from being dragged all over every rock on gods green earth. Still works like a charm, though.

I want to see if I can get the crystal polished back to like new but keep the scratches on the bezel. I like the character they give it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

Nap Ghost

Oh poo poo, it's watch chat

Cyrano4747 posted:

Once upon a time you used to see that with people who worked with remote offices. Writers who might need to call an editor three time zones away, certain corporate road warrior types etc. One wrist for home office time one for local.

I assume smart phones and email killed that off.

There have been quite a few non-digital/non-smart watches that can tell more than one time zone. They tend to cost more than two regular watches, though, so I guess wearing two watches might be more affordable for most workers.

In any case, they still make these despite the advent of smartphones and email. Here's a modern watch what does the time zone thing, for example:

The little wheel at the 3 o'clock position tells you the time in your home time zone. You press the button at the upper right to change the hour-hand time to the target time zone. It's pretty neat, but of course it doesn't take into account daylight saving/summer time, so you have to do a little finagling sometimes.

Also yeah, no wrist-shaming itt. You can wear a watch on whichever wrist you feel like, on whichever side of the wrist (inside/outside) you want. However, only one man is qualified to wear three watches using both wrists, imo.

«1092 »