Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

SocketWrench posted:

I've had one of those helmets in the past. They aren't great but they are somewhat designed to be a bike helmet, for like a bicycle or a moped at best. Certainly not bros ninja crotch rocket you're likely going to try and do stunts on the highway with too.

Iím not sure Iíd want to risk landing spikes-first on the road at any speed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

We both like to hang out in public bathrooms?!

CommunityEdition posted:

Well then don't drill holes in one and add the spikes?

I'd surprised he hasn't been ticketed for that modification, D.O.T. wouldn't approve.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

kupachek posted:

Well then don't drill holes in one and add the spikes?

I'd surprised he hasn't been ticketed for that modification, D.O.T. wouldn't approve.

They don't give a gently caress, so long as you have a DOT sticker- which are 1$ each at any gun show or flea market. I've had several relatives that did/do that. If stopped, that's all they check fo, apparently.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

CommunityEdition posted:

Just noticed the spikes. Yeah, that's just stupid

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Anyone ever had the Arby's sweet potato waffle fries?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I ate too much crab and transformed into this.

SocketWrench posted:

It's easier to glue on spikes than drill holes and mount them.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Check out my hot takes because I'm a straight white male

infrared35 posted:

I'd give them a try, but the only Arby's that's not like 45 minutes away closed down sometime last year

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

Crab Dad posted:

It's easier to glue on spikes than drill holes and mount them.

Still stupid, no matter

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

infrared35 posted:

Cyrano?

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

boxen posted:

Cyrano?

Somehow I don't think he eats at Arby's.

They're about as good as anything there. Why is everything so sweet at that restaurant?

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Cover me in horsey sauce and call me dirty.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

SocketWrench posted:

Those helmets are almost as bad as no helmet at all and are only to pass the helmet requirement. You'll often see people who ride across state lines with their helmet strapped to the pillion, ready to be deployed in UNFREEDUMB states. The cowboy analogy is an apt one, cowboys don't give a poo poo if they die falling off their horse it's part of the job, but they sure as hell ain't gonna be put down by some savage! Hence, the gun.

There are actually extremely practical reasons to wear a helmet that affects you every second you are riding a motorcycle that have nothing to do with crash protection: wind and bugs.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Check out my hot takes because I'm a straight white male

I always wondered how people can ride motorcycles without face shields when bugs and road debris are poo poo you are inevitably going to have to deal with when riding at-speed. Sunglasses will (maybe) protect your eyes, but getting a rock chip to the face has to loving hurt.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Gin and Juche posted:

Cover me in horsey sauce and call me dirty.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Dick Burglar posted:

I always wondered how people can ride motorcycles without face shields when bugs and road debris are poo poo you are inevitably going to have to deal with when riding at-speed. Sunglasses will (maybe) protect your eyes, but getting a rock chip to the face has to loving hurt.

The right sunglasses that wrap around will help but anything else will let enough wind in to make your eyes water. It's the dumbest poo poo, it's so much quieter and bug free inside a full face helmet. The no-helmets and antivaxxer venn diagram is a single circle.

A June bug at 65mph might as well be a rock.

Thermos
Mar 29, 2019

infrared35 posted:

Why would you get anything besides curly fries?

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Gorson posted:

I've hit one doing about 50 on an ATV without a helmet (dumb kid). Smacked me in the forehead, 2 inches or so lower and I'd probably be wearing an eyepatch. Hurt like hell as it was.

I wore a helmet after that.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

There have been so many advancements in motorcycle gear that I canít really wrap my head around not taking advantage of them. Modern helmets and gear are safer than ever before, more comfortable than ever before, and also look fuckiní rad. If I were in the mood to ride a donor-cycle, why wouldnít I rock the proper gear?

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Thermos posted:

Why would you get anything besides curly fries?

Variety is the spice of life.

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

Gorson posted:

The right sunglasses that wrap around will help but anything else will let enough wind in to make your eyes water. It's the dumbest poo poo, it's so much quieter and bug free inside a full face helmet. The no-helmets and antivaxxer venn diagram is a single circle.

Can confirm that something as insignificant as a wasp hits like a cross between a rock and a fast moving bb when you're going 67mph. Left a welt for three days. Not in a hurry to hit a june bug at that speed.
My complaint about full shielded helmets is they vastly cut down on what you can hear. I usually use an open helmet when puttering on bikes or using an ATV for work, and the first time I tried using a shielded helmet (because of icy rain) it cut down my hearing to the point where I had an fast moving rear end in a top hat in a pickup truck in my blindspot out of nowhere after a curve. With the shield up, or my normal helmet, I can hear their engine or the crunch of them coming from a decent distance. Plus they impair my peripheral vision which is no bueno around logging trucks.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

My old Jiu Jitsu coach, a cauliflower eared Brazilian who is consistently ranked in the top two of the 145 pound IBJJF division, posted something on Facebook that belongs here.

God, I hope this is real. I want to learn CHAIN STICK and UZI.

EorayMel
May 29, 2015

You got the fluffy kitty kitty!

I'm partial to BREATHE
UNDERWATER myself

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Preechr posted:

There have been so many advancements in motorcycle gear that I canít really wrap my head around not taking advantage of them. Modern helmets and gear are safer than ever before, more comfortable than ever before, and also look fuckiní rad. If I were in the mood to ride a donor-cycle, why wouldnít I rock the proper gear?

There is STILL a myth that runs through the old beardo motorcycling community that it is more dangerous to be wearing a helmet in a wreck than not, despite mounds and mounds of evidence.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

EorayMel posted:

I'm partial to BREATHE
UNDERWATER myself

:I don my invisibility cap and begin battle dancing towards enemy with flashing powder:

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Is that taped to the floor?

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

EasilyConfused posted:

Is that taped to the floor?

It's taped to a dead body with a katana sticking out of it, the calling card of any true ninja.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

No mention of the ancient art of the deadly throwing wingnut, clearly an amateur.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Captain Log posted:

My old Jiu Jitsu coach, a cauliflower eared Brazilian who is consistently ranked in the top two of the 145 pound IBJJF division, posted something on Facebook that belongs here.

God, I hope this is real. I want to learn CHAIN STICK and UZI.

He probably just wants to teach a class he knows takes social distancing very seriously.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

BATTLE DANCING?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3LsiJHiDjc

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013

kupachek posted:

Can confirm that something as insignificant as a wasp hits like a cross between a rock and a fast moving bb when you're going 67mph. Left a welt for three days. Not in a hurry to hit a june bug at that speed.
My complaint about full shielded helmets is they vastly cut down on what you can hear. I usually use an open helmet when puttering on bikes or using an ATV for work, and the first time I tried using a shielded helmet (because of icy rain) it cut down my hearing to the point where I had an fast moving rear end in a top hat in a pickup truck in my blindspot out of nowhere after a curve. With the shield up, or my normal helmet, I can hear their engine or the crunch of them coming from a decent distance. Plus they impair my peripheral vision which is no bueno around logging trucks.

If you are going at 40+mph and can hear the vehicle next to you, your hearing is already being damaged by the background noise. 80 decibels is the start of hearing loss for sustained periods and that is much quieter than most people think.

Plus the side perception loss for a modern full face is almost zero. If anything sneaks up behind you it is a sign you are not using your mirrors enough rather than an issue with the helmet.

This is from someone who commutes everyday to work on a bike for over a decade and in a country where it takes effort to get vehicle licenses.

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe

Zhanism
Apr 1, 2005
Death by Zhanism. So Judged.

I wonder if the cops would have ever noticed if they didnt attach a black arm brace to it.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Foxtrot_13 posted:

If you are going at 40+mph and can hear the vehicle next to you, your hearing is already being damaged by the background noise. 80 decibels is the start of hearing loss for sustained periods and that is much quieter than most people think.

Plus the side perception loss for a modern full face is almost zero. If anything sneaks up behind you it is a sign you are not using your mirrors enough rather than an issue with the helmet.

This is from someone who commutes everyday to work on a bike for over a decade and in a country where it takes effort to get vehicle licenses.

I always wore earplugs under my full face helmet when I was riding and expected to get to highway speeds. When I started, the modular flip up helmets were just getting big, and I thought I wanted one for a while. Glad I didn't.

In an ATV accident I witnessed with my own eyes, a coworker got pitched through the air and pretty much lawn-darted into the ground headfirst. His neck rolled FORWARD and the chin part of the helmet bled off some energy by digging in to his shoulder and breaking his collarbone. Had he not been wearing a full face helmet, or even if he had landed slightly differently, this would be the story about the time I saw a coworker get killed or have a major spinal injury.
The ponderously slow, 4 wheel drive crawl back to the main road in a SUV through two miles of washed out forest service roads and hunting trails was pretty uncomfortable for that guy howling with a broken collarbone. Made the next hour driving on real pavement to a rural hospital seem pleasant for him by comparison.

I thankfully wasn't present for it, but a couple months later a client somehow found one of the few trees in the sand dunes with her head, which shattered the helmet's face shield and sent helmet confetti into her face.
Both those situations made me think that the only choice for me is a high quality, non-modular full face helmet.

Never had a crash on anything, but always wore my helmet, gloves, boots, and armored jacket. Didn't feel great when it was 115 degrees outside (and thus probably 130 on the blacktop), but it was worth it to not turn into street pizza. Riding at highway speeds in those conditions was like a convection oven

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

Foxtrot_13 posted:

That helmet cut my vision down to about my ears, where without a helmet, or when riding and wearing one of the others it extends further back a decent amount. I always make ample use of my mirrors (the logging trucks fly at 55mph regardless of conditions, you don't stay in one piece if you ignore your mirrors), the fucker in the truck sneaking up on me on the logging road wouldn't have happened if I could have heard him coming on the long curve. He sure as hell wasn't behind me on the straight chunk I had just left. The various bikes are all different with engine note, so on some I can hear more ambient noises than others and I don't outright rely on my hearing, but it sure makes a difference and I don't like giving that up.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

I feel guilty laughing at this.

An older guy who is an old co-worker just posted this on social media -

"So proud of my son Charles. Take a close look at the stippling oh my gun now."

That sure is something.

Edit : I don't mind the actual stippling. It's the wonky rear end treble clef that hurts my brain.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Eh, I've seen worse.

Putting that much effort into a Springfield XD, on the other hand...

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Of course thatís on an xd

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

I can't read XD without seeing

ought ten
Feb 5, 2004

Action-Bastard posted:

I can't read XD without seeing

Itís the other way for me. Someone types ďlol XDĒ and my first thought is when did we start talking about handguns?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Someone needs to stipple an XD with "LOL" on the grip.