Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MantisClaw
Jun 3, 2011

ought ten posted:

Even ignoring that the technique would only get you shot, Id be genuinely curious to hear that guy describe some scenarios where employing it would plausibly be your best option.

That technique actually works in Force on Force. The biggest critique for me would be the opponent not providing resistance during the full speed demo
Gun disarms are surprisingly easy, it's the timing that's difficult
Go take a class from Craig Douglas or any of the Shiv Works group for that matter.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2bkgbGFtmg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Check out my hot takes because I'm a straight white male

MantisClaw posted:

Gun disarms are surprisingly easy, it's the timing that's difficult

That's a bit of an understatement when the implied follow-up sentence is "if you gently caress up the [difficult] timing, you get shot and die."

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Dick Burglar posted:

That's a bit of an understatement when the implied follow-up sentence is "if you gently caress up the [difficult] timing, you get shot and die."

I am not a HSLD sheepdog, but it seems to me that taking a gun away from someone who has their finger on the trigger (and presumably the safety off) is very likely to end up with a bullet going SOMEWHERE.

chitoryu12
Apr 23, 2014

boxen posted:

I am not a HSLD sheepdog, but it seems to me that taking a gun away from someone who has their finger on the trigger (and presumably the safety off) is very likely to end up with a bullet going SOMEWHERE.

At least with most handguns, your grab can push the slide out of battery so it wont fire, and itll likely fail to cycle if it does so the gun is now safer to struggle over.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

chitoryu12 posted:

At least with most handguns, your grab can push the slide out of battery so it wont fire, and itll likely fail to cycle if it does so the gun is now safer to struggle over.

Old and busted: serrations on your slide
New hotness: teflon coating so the slide is more slippery and harder for tangos to disarm you.

Kadath
Aug 17, 2004

Put Your 'Lectric Eye On Me, Babe

Grimey Drawer

I remember reading in an old spy novel a guy was saying to always duck down and to your right if someone is shooting at you since a heavy da trigger pulled fast will pull up and to the shooters right. It was obviously said with a caveat of if someone is shooting directly at you, you have probably hosed up prior to this point.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

This all conveniently forgets the human reaction to step back from sudden movement.

FFT
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard cowboy

3DHouseofBeef posted:

Self-defense made easy: just dodge the bullet!

https://www.tiktok.com/@dust_tmc/vi...1&is_copy_url=0

Fake self-defense is a helluva drug.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2REG3-Wb5gM

3DHouseofBeef
May 10, 2006

VevBun posted:

I like how you can hear the click happen a pretty perceptible amount of time before the dude even moves at the beginning.

That's the part that really got me. Even in his demonstration, he's dead.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Slur, your fighting style is extremely problematic!

This self defense demo is always a classic

https://i.imgur.com/JJVt9eA.gifv

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 27, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

https://twitter.com/krus_chiki/status/1386664959942201351

ought ten
Feb 5, 2004

Definitely read that as gay man several times before realizing

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

I've read it correctly but have no idea what they're talking about

Comfy sponk
Mar 30, 2007

Nitrox posted:

I've read it correctly but have no idea what they're talking about

https://www.tactical.com/how-to-be-a-gray-man/

Basically blending in and not being noticed.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

I will totally greyman in my Centrifuge Training baseball cap, Magpul jacket, and 5.11 pants.

Assuming everyone around me is wearing the same thing.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

infrared35 posted:

I will totally greyman in my Centrifuge Training baseball cap, Magpul jacket, and 5.11 pants.

Assuming everyone around me is wearing the same thing.

And a big loving bag.

If I see a printing white guy dressed like that with a bag, Im shuffling away quickly.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Comfy sponk posted:

Already mastered this in high school.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Comfy sponk posted:

I love how the article is 'don't get noticed, but here's a bunch of our branded poo poo we need to sell you, BUY IT'

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

I used to grayman by peacocking, until those assholes ruined my ability to wear Hawaiian shirts and not look like a boog boi.

chitoryu12
Apr 23, 2014

The Gray Man concept is mostly parroted by people who have no idea what normal people look like and try to be so aggressively normal-yet-prepared that they look like Tom Clancy protagonists on a stakeout.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

chitoryu12 posted:

The Gray Man concept is mostly parroted by people who have no idea what normal people look like and try to be so aggressively normal-yet-prepared that they look like Tom Clancy protagonists on a stakeout.

"Don't doxx me, bro", he said as he pushed his Oakley Gascans up on his nose and slung the Costa Ludus bag over his shoulder.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I look like a AQ Super Soldier experiment where they forced bred Shrek and a Taliban fighter. I ain't got time for that poo poo. Wear loud shoes, stained pants, and fishing shirts that cover my bat belt. That's the best I got.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

"No I'm not an active shooter, this is my Expanse cosplay"

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

chitoryu12 posted:

It's a power fantasy.

Specifically, the "looks like an ordinary guy in the suburbs, but secretly a highly trained badass who is prepared for anything and can kill you ten ways with what's in his pockets" character that pops up as the protagonist of lots and lots of trashy fiction. It's just pretending to be Liam Neeson in Taken.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

My favorite thing is that the guys most likely to adopt those attitudes are also dudes who have never sparred, done Force on Force, never been punched in the face, and most importantly, didn't learn that your most lethal weapons are words and thoughts.

You pay attention, and you don't ride your ego. You avoid the confrontation before it starts. You do everything to bring down the situation.

"Men, when you go home, you are going to go out, and you are going to drink. And there is a chance someone will try to fight you. You walk away, you buy 'em a drink, you do whatever you can to avoid that fight. However, if that fight comes, you put his dick in the dirt. You win that fight." My DS, the final week of Infantry training.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

greyman is easily the best tacticlol meme in a long time, lmao

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 27, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

bulletsponge13 posted:

I look like a AQ Super Soldier experiment where they forced bred Shrek and a Taliban fighter. I ain't got time for that poo poo. Wear loud shoes, stained pants, and fishing shirts that cover my bat belt. That's the best I got.

Im a security guy for a UN agency and a few years ago I took a course with a dude who has most definitely been there and done that in a long career with a five-eyes intelligence agency and another UN agency. This guy had spent a long time in really bad parts of Africa and his go-to wardrobe was a pair of khaki pants and a Hawaiian shirt. No matter what he was carrying, he figured no one was going to bother with a guy who looked like a fat out of shape tourist, and he was right.

At the risk of being that guy I loving love Kuhl stuff even if theyre becoming popular with ~operators~ and assorted hangers-on. Their Radikal pants (or however you spell it) are high quality, durable and comfortable. A pair of those and my Vans slip ons are about as tacticlol as I get most days.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I was taught to look for the guy trying to blend in, if that makes sense, because there was always a giveaway. Someone who is actively attempting to look inconspicuous never do. It has to appear natural, and things like watches, footwear, belts start to matter. The way it was explained to us was that it's no different than any other camo- there is no one size fits all.

It's really easy to blend in when you blend in, if that makes sense. We are so absorbed in our own little worlds, that it's easy to blend in, if you want to. They don't want to. It's cosplay.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Kahless the Unforgettable scowls on these grey hoo-mans for their dishonor

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

bulletsponge13 posted:

My favorite thing is that the guys most likely to adopt those attitudes are also dudes who have never sparred, done Force on Force, never been punched in the face, and most importantly, didn't learn that your most lethal weapons are words and thoughts.

This, this, and this.

When you saw a white guy with a cop cut come to the MMA or BJJ gyms talking "KRAV MAGA / BACKYARD WRESTLING / SEAL TEAM" they would nearly vomit from the PT and never show up again. They don't even make it to the real sparring.

The thing everyone should know about sparring is simple - It's not painful, or scary - it's loving confusing. Someone corks off on you and your brain is shouting, "PRESS ALL THE BUTTONS!!! ALL OF THEM!!! FLAIL!!!"

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

Proč bychom se netěili kdy nm Pn Bůh zdrav d?

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

I feel attacked.

pantslesswithwolves posted:

...no one was going to bother with a guy who looked like a fat out of shape tourist, and he was right.

This has worked great so far with me. Might not be deliberate, but it works.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013

All these people look sus as hell. Report them to your local law enforcement if they leave any bags unattended.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Loved this line in Ant Man and the Wasp

Dr. Hank Pym:
Relax. No one's gonna recognize us.
Scott Lang:
What, because of hats and sunglasses? It's not a disguise, Hank. We look like ourselves at a baseball game.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

I didnt realize I was dressing like a Grey Man all this time thanks to my love of hoodies and hats.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Sure being a grey man is cool until you can become

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Captain Log posted:

This, this, and this.

When you saw a white guy with a cop cut come to the MMA or BJJ gyms talking "KRAV MAGA / BACKYARD WRESTLING / SEAL TEAM" they would nearly vomit from the PT and never show up again. They don't even make it to the real sparring.

Then they start ranting about how "sport fighting won't do you any good in a no-rules street brawl."

There's a BJJ gym here that specializes on purely the competition side of BJJ and I've heard people say poo poo like that. It's like, no, you'll absolutely get your poo poo wrecked by one of those dudes in a real fight. It will be over before you even think about how to gouge his eyes out or slice him with broken glass or whatever fantasy.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Chuck Tingle needs to get on this topic ASAP. 50 Shades Of Gray Gary

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Trillhouse posted:

Then they start ranting about how "sport fighting won't do you any good in a no-rules street brawl."

:clutches keychain flail/kobutan combo and readies for deadly combat: