Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Gin and Juche posted:

Sure being a grey man is cool until you can become

Dammit, Amazon violated the first rule of Gary Club.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I had a LT when I was in the 82d who trained for six months at the Gracie School in Brazil when he eas enlisted with Special Forces (Dude went to OCS, and had to do line time to get Captain and go back to SF). Dude was the most fluid fighter I've ever seen, and I'm counting pros.
He made us do combatives every week. Not roll around and gently caress about for 20 minutes. A favorite was a 2 mile body armor run @7 min/mile, 30 sec break, then 2 minutes rolling. 30 seconds break, switch. Until you've fought everyone but yourself. I watched him destroy a guy who had some wrestling/BJJ, and was 2nd best enlisted fighter in our company in a 3 minute bout.

"Let me know when there is 10 seconds left."
"10 seconds!"
:2 seconds later, we meet PVT Pretzel, who cannot physically reach to tap:

Just be a grown up and don't fight.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

bulletsponge13 posted:

I had a LT when I was in the 82d who trained for six months at the Gracie School in Brazil when he eas enlisted with Special Forces (Dude went to OCS, and had to do line time to get Captain and go back to SF). Dude was the most fluid fighter I've ever seen, and I'm counting pros.
He made us do combatives every week. Not roll around and gently caress about for 20 minutes. A favorite was a 2 mile body armor run @7 min/mile, 30 sec break, then 2 minutes rolling. 30 seconds break, switch. Until you've fought everyone but yourself. I watched him destroy a guy who had some wrestling/BJJ, and was 2nd best enlisted fighter in our company in a 3 minute bout.

"Let me know when there is 10 seconds left."
"10 seconds!"
:2 seconds later, we meet PVT Pretzel, who cannot physically reach to tap:

Just be a grown up and don't fight.

I went for a combat role that requires me to push buttons and talk on the radio, and I'm feeling really good about that choice.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Wingnut Ninja posted:

I went for a combat role that requires me to push buttons and talk on the radio, and I'm feeling really good about that choice.

He was an awesome cat. Not just to work for, either. But he learned in SF to put people first, and he did that. We were heartbroken when he got put in another company, but totally understood that an SF Sniper with 9 years exp should probably be with Snipers, not an AT Platoon. Fantastic guy. His wife was a STUNNING (I caps that because it isn't adequate) Brazilian woman, whom he had like 5 kids with, and another on the way. I remember when I let him know a woman was here to see him-
"Hey, LT? There is some beautiful pregnant chick here looking for you. Are you here?"
He winked and smiled like Steve McQueen as he slapped my arm. "That's my wife, Woody."
"drat, sir. You did ok."

Last I saw if him was on some random ESPN late night airing of the US Army Combatives Tourney, where he was running 2nd, repping Special Forces as a Captain.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I ate too much crab and transformed into this.

If you just wear crocs nobody will think or have any respect for you.

Works for me when I'm packing.

ought ten
Feb 5, 2004

Crab Dad posted:

Only so long as you donít wear the heel straps down. Thatís a dead giveaway.

Of course then you have to drill the croc-and-load.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Check out my hot takes because I'm a straight white male

ought ten posted:

Everybody knows: if you're strapped, you're strapped.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

Crab Dad posted:

Checks out.

My buddy who did four tours, two in some kind of special forces role, only wears Crocs these days. His life consists of raising his four children, goats, rabbits, and chickens.

ought ten
Feb 5, 2004

Captain Log posted:

Checks out.

My buddy who did four tours, two in some kind of special forces role, only wears Crocs these days. His life consists of raising his four children, goats, rabbits, and chickens.

Same here. Well, not exactly the same in that I havenít done anything particularly exciting or difficult, and currently donít do anything very productive. But otherwise, that basically describes me

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I am a stay at home house husband who spends way too much time in silkies playing with animals.

poo poo rules.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

ought ten posted:

Of course then you have to drill the croc-and-load.

gently caress. I always got my crocs in 4x4 mode.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

The first time I had heard the term 'sports mode' for the strap down was my daughter who turned to me very seriously once and said "Wait- I gotta go into sports mode."

I laughed so loving hard at that.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

bulletsponge13 posted:

The first time I had heard the term 'sports mode' for the strap down was my daughter who turned to me very seriously once and said "Wait- I gotta go into sports mode."

I laughed so loving hard at that.

Did she do something that knocked her shoes right off immediately afterwards? That's comedy, right there.

In middleschool and into highschool, the girls would have athletic shoes a size or two too big that they stomped the heels down on to wear as clogs. I still do that with my old sneakers so I can use them as easy to put on yard shoes. Thanks, rich girls destroying new shoes. As soon as I could afford new shoes, I followed suit.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Man, I loving miss being able to wear clog type slip on shoes. I lived in them when I worked in kitchens. Now, they are a death trap from my drop foot. But I can't bring myself to toss them.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

I don't even completely hate how Crocs look, but I can't stand how squishy they are. It makes me feeling like I'm trying to walk through wet sand all day.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

i'm still wearing a pair of knockoff crocs from spain that i bought in 2006. the straps died long ago, but for 10 euro i'm really friggin happy with them around the house

Frankie
Feb 22, 2006

They make Chuck Taylor style crocs.

Frankie fucked around with this message at 23:42 on May 1, 2021

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Man, gently caress that. That's some polishing-a-turd poo poo right there. Wear your stupid fugly shoes with pride.

...in Sports Modeô

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I got one pair of crocs at each entrance to my house and one pair for outside. I use to have some croc flops. They lasted like 10 years of constant use.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Frankie posted:

They make Chuck Taylor style crocs.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Wait till you hear about Croc Martens...

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 15:18 on May 2, 2021

EorayMel
May 29, 2015

You got the fluffy kitty kitty!

Is that the shoe equivalent of this?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN

KozmoNaut posted:

Wait till you hear about Croc Martens...

I am tired of Earth. These people.

Thermos
Mar 29, 2019

I can't do crocs. And not because I care about looks (lol that ship has sailed).

When I was a little kid I was wearing some ill fitting slides at a fair and decided to ride the big swings that go up and spin around. I spent what felt like an eternity digging my toes in, petrified they were going to fly off and cork someone in the head as centrifugal force sought to eject them.

Now I can't wear shoes that are not firmly affixed to my feet.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Thatís what 4x4 mode is for duh.

Thermos
Mar 29, 2019

No way this is the only footwear I trust.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

I used to make jokes about off-road slippers, but apparently now that's a thing.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Thermos posted:

I can't do crocs. And not because I care about looks (lol that ship has sailed).

When I was a little kid I was wearing some ill fitting slides at a fair and decided to ride the big swings that go up and spin around. I spent what felt like an eternity digging my toes in, petrified they were going to fly off and cork someone in the head as centrifugal force sought to eject them.

Now I can't wear shoes that are not firmly affixed to my feet.

I don't think I ever really had an experience this extreme, but when I wear normal thong-style flip flops, I always end up digging my toes into the shoes as I walk to keep them on my feet, because if I don't then one will inevitably just kinda fly off at some point as I walk. As a result, I hate flip flops.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

Dick Burglar posted:

I don't think I ever really had an experience this extreme, but when I wear normal thong-style flip flops, I always end up digging my toes into the shoes as I walk to keep them on my feet, because if I don't then one will inevitably just kinda fly off at some point as I walk. As a result, I hate flip flops.

You'll never be a prime flip-floperator with that attitude. Train as you fight!

ought ten
Feb 5, 2004

infrared35 posted:

I used to make jokes about off-road slippers, but apparently now that's a thing.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I got those in solid grey. 10/10

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

I think crocs look like dogshit, but if they encourage more people to have outside-only shoes vs inside-only slippers, it is for the greater good.

My source of yard work shoes is simple: running shoes too worn down for running.

Prof. Banks
Apr 22, 2015

Computer lab day! Time to spend 45 minutes trying to load pokemon.com!

Canvas slip-ons from walmart have been my go-to around the house outdoor shoes for going on 25 years now and have served me well. I just looked up what crocs cost, and suffice it to say, I was not expecting $50. I'll be sticking with the canvases. They only last 3-4 years, but at $10 a pair I can't complain.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

infrared35 posted:

I have some backpacking slippers that are amazing.
https://sierradesigns.com/down-moc/

I've got the model of those from a few years ago, and let me tell you they are the greatest thing to shuffle around camp in. Sure beats slipping on cold boots when you wake up to pee

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

jwang
Mar 31, 2013

Hmmm... debatable. Can armadillos climb trees? Because if they can't, then I would argue the opposite, an possum is an armadillo that's given up armor so that they can tactically reposition themselves in locations they otherwise normally can't get to. Slapping armor on something doesn't make it more "tactical", just more armored. Now if it was better camouflaged, can see 15x further than it normally can, as well as obtained a laser cybernetic eye somewhere, sure I'll call it a tactical possum.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Possums are climbers, dillos are diggers. They're not really that similar, aside from general body shape.

Also, possums don't carry leprosy.

AKZ
Nov 4, 2009

Dick Burglar posted:

Possums are climbers, dillos are diggers. They're not really that similar, aside from general body shape.

tactical biological weaponry.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Dick Burglar posted:

So armadillos are siege opossums?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

Proč bychom se netěöili kdyě nŠm PŠn Bůh zdravŪ dŠ?