Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

Those two guns were actually done in Canada afaik.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

No thank you

Mambo No. 5
Feb 24, 2009

Admiral Parry "Terror" Sornis,
Dead Birds Society

That is not tacticlol. That's heresy.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Less weight, less drag.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

That ain't right

EorayMel
May 29, 2015

You got the fluffy kitty kitty!

Now do this:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Being able to make stupid facial hair and any hat look okay is like Ian's superpower.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

It's because it's not an affectation. He knows he looks ridiculous, he doesn't try to deny it, doesn't lean into it as a "Oh I'm so wacky hahaha" thing, he just carries on business as usual. I think he initially grew the facial hair during college because he was a bartender and was so baby-faced nobody believed he was old enough to be serving alcohol.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Behind every great engineer is someone just hoping the "genius" doesn't bankrupt everyone.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

It's because it's not an affectation. He knows he looks ridiculous, he doesn't try to deny it, doesn't lean into it as a "Oh I'm so wacky hahaha" thing, he just carries on business as usual. I think he initially grew the facial hair during college because he was a bartender and was so baby-faced nobody believed he was old enough to be serving alcohol.

Pretty much all facial hair is silly and the key is just not giving a gently caress.

This post brought to you by my quarantine barn raiser.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

Proč bychom se netěšili když nám Pán Bůh zdraví dá?

https://twitter.com/CalibreObscura/status/1422192661717520384?s=20

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Cyrano4747 posted:

Pretty much all facial hair is silly and the key is just not giving a gently caress.

My full beard makes my chin look more prominent and hides the double chin. I've had a beard (of varying lengths) for ~10 years now, and I'm not likely to ever shave it off.

I tend to it every week or two, with a cheap trimmer that has lasted much longer than I expected. I'm not going back to blades and soaps and aftershaves.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

KozmoNaut posted:

My full beard makes my chin look more prominent and hides the double chin. I've had a beard (of varying lengths) for ~10 years now, and I'm not likely to ever shave it off.

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN

Hey guys, thanks for tuning in to another video on forgotten crystals dot com

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Bret Hart.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

The best there was
the best their is
and the best there ever will be
at writing about old guns.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

from here: https://www.amazon.com/HAZARD-Poncho-Villa-2020-Version/dp/B082FKW9SD

it gave me a hearty exhale. sweet tights on the model, though.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

I ran crying to the mods because someone bought me a title with naughty words in it. (twice!)
I am the world's softest bitch and you you should remind me of it forever. If this text is gone it's because I couldn't handle being a fucking loser.

Smellrose

knuthgrush posted:

from here: https://www.amazon.com/HAZARD-Poncho-Villa-2020-Version/dp/B082FKW9SD

Is that a loving Jawa wearing that Splinter Cell crap?

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

I can’t get over the fact that they suggest putting a U.S. flag on poncho named after Pancho Villa. It’s kinda breaking my brain over here.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

I can’t get over the fact that they suggest putting a U.S. flag on poncho named after Pancho Villa. It’s kinda breaking my brain over here.

That's why I have my snake and eagle on a cactus.

:ese:

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

knuthgrush posted:

The add-on item for the blue one is a folding grappling hook.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

I would love to know the percentage of people who've bought a grappling hook that can actually climb a rope next to a vertical wall.

Thermos
Mar 29, 2019

honda whisperer posted:

I would love to know the percentage of people who've bought a grappling hook that can actually climb a rope next to a vertical wall.

When I was a kid I was obsessed with spy poo poo so one time I ended up making my own grappling hook. I learned very quickly that it's a lot harder than it looks.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

I ran crying to the mods because someone bought me a title with naughty words in it. (twice!)
I am the world's softest bitch and you you should remind me of it forever. If this text is gone it's because I couldn't handle being a fucking loser.

Smellrose

honda whisperer posted:

And I would love to know the percentage of "tactical" grappling hooks sold on these sites that could actually function properly if used like you describe.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

boxen posted:

The add-on item for the blue one is a folding grappling hook.

gently caress, okay it wrapped back around to cool.
I’m in.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL ALL THAT YOU SEE AND HEAR

Have those kinds of grappling hooks really ever been deployed outside of 80s/90s action movies? Is there a technique to them; how do you make sure you've not caught on something like an eavestrough or weak branch, just put your weight on it and hope for the best?

I wonder if I could still climb rope-against-wall. In my early 20s the summer camp I worked was short-staffed and put me in charge of rock climbing (a real 40-foot rock face they'd cleaned off and set up anchors into), because I demonstrated that i could tie some knots, lol. But I hate rock climbing, so I just pulled myself up on the rope and took out the slack in the belay device, then hung out there and told kids where to climb. My back is still pretty strong but for some reason I doubt i could pull that off anymore.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Mister Speaker posted:

Have those kinds of grappling hooks really ever been deployed outside of 80s/90s action movies? Is there a technique to them; how do you make sure you've not caught on something like an eavestrough or weak branch, just put your weight on it and hope for the best?

I wonder if I could still climb rope-against-wall. In my early 20s the summer camp I worked was short-staffed and put me in charge of rock climbing (a real 40-foot rock face they'd cleaned off and set up anchors into), because I demonstrated that i could tie some knots, lol. But I hate rock climbing, so I just pulled myself up on the rope and took out the slack in the belay device, then hung out there and told kids where to climb. My back is still pretty strong but for some reason I doubt i could pull that off anymore.

Jugging with equipment can be pretty fast*. But yeah, in the movies it's attached to a big fat rope you can climb up like in gym class.

https://youtu.be/AKkPbTjydzY
Once you get going, it's like climbing a ladder.

The kind of hooks one uses in aid climbing are J shaped, and not designed to be thrown.

For tree climbing, you don't use ninja hooks either. You huck a sandbag on a thin rope over the top of a fat branch, use that thin rope to pull up a thick one, and then ascend on that

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

When I was in the military, we had folding grappling hooks solely to throw over obstacles to rip them apart- poo poo like C-wire, or some gates.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

knuthgrush posted:

Tarpman Finicum V2.0

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

That's because people that like this are dumb. The same type that put Punisher skulls on everything.

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

Yeah the guys people think use grappling hooks really just use ladders lol

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

While it would be fun to try and grapple something with a hook, trusting your entire weight to the rope underneath said grapple seems like a good way to take a piece of spiked metal to the face.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

Captain Log posted:

While it would be fun to try and grapple something with a hook, trusting your entire weight to the rope underneath said grapple seems like a good way to take a piece of spiked metal to the face.

After falling on your rear end and back.

Allegedly.

The actual use is to pull something down or towards you.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

My real world uses of grappling hooks:

1. Obstacle clearance, as bulletsponge described.
2. Dredging debris and garbage out of water, like tires and old sunken canoes.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Behind every great engineer is someone just hoping the "genius" doesn't bankrupt everyone.

The Automator posted:

Yeah the guys people think use grappling hooks really just use ladders lol

Iirc that’s basically how pointe du hoc got climbed. Rocket fired assault ladders attached to grapples

Kadath
Aug 17, 2004

Put Your 'Lectric Eye On Me, Babe

Grimey Drawer

Grappling hooks are also loud as poo poo so using them to silently sneak into an enemy camp only works in Chuck Norris movies.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Iirc that’s basically how pointe du hoc got climbed. Rocket fired assault ladders attached to grapples

do i need a tax stamp for the rocket fired assault ladders? asking for a friend.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

I have one of those ponchos and it's exactly as stupid and cool as it looks. I've used it some for when I had to stand around outside in the rain/wind but mostly it's only been used to dramatically throw over my shoulder to reveal my plate carrier to that jerk in the mirror.

Wa11y
Jul 23, 2002

Did I say "cookies?" I meant, "Fire in your face!"

Internet Wizard posted:

I have one of those ponchos and it's exactly as stupid and cool as it looks. I've used it some for when I had to stand around outside in the rain/wind but mostly it's only been used to dramatically throw over my shoulder to reveal my plate carrier to that jerk in the mirror.

How loud is the material as it moves? If it came in multicam and was quiet, it'd be a must buy for me! As it is, if it's quiet, it will only be a maybe buy.

If the material is loud, it's a no-go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Cyrano4747 posted:

https://i.imgur.com/KHENC87.mp4