Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Young Freud
Nov 25, 2006

Inspector_71 posted:

I think the BUIS mounted on the side of the gun are the best part.

You know, until this thread, I never knew people actually attached any type of sights on the side rails of their guns. It defies the traditional logic of gun nerdom, especially with the scoffing at "the gangsta stance".

Are there some gangsta operatas out there that really shoot like that? Why can't you just take the scope off the rails and use top mounted backup iron sights? Wouldn't take the same amount of time to turn the rifle 90 degrees and take aim through a side-mounted sight?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Freud
Nov 25, 2006

Chantilly Say posted:

I thought it was money at first.

I thought it was a photo while cleaning it.

Young Freud
Nov 25, 2006

TeffaBob posted:

I don't know, I thought this one was pretty great. Hard to be super serious about body armor with the tacticat slinking around behind him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdY7pHpiKgE

Also, I doubt whether if that's a real Interceptor and if it is, I doubt it's particularly effective, since surplus Interceptors may be part of that batch of 15,000 recalled ones that won't stop a 9mm because Point Blank hosed up the composition and failed the ballistic standards testing. SAPI's probably real though, but Class IV is usually only guarranted to stop one 7.62mm AP bullet (although the new standards may have changed that testing).

Also, any "goon squad" is likely going to have something like the IOTV, which has Class II to IV arm, neck, and thigh protection because the army got tired of sending guys home with no arms and/or legs from IED shrapnel. They're mission optional, but would likely be used in a close-quarters assault like a house raid. A shotgun against something like that is going to have limited penetration.

Young Freud
Nov 25, 2006

ChlorineTrifluoride posted:

Well, the scope has a shadow, and the gun doesnt...

Sidenote: What is the terminology for the bit you look through, and the bit you see out of on a scope?

The bit you look through is a ocular, the bit on the other end is the objective.

Young Freud
Nov 25, 2006

infrared35 posted:

That Tokarev would be a hundred percent awesome if it just had a standard weapon light on it.

You could totally pop down on some stukachiy

I agree, but this did make me think of the pistol Zastava made a couple of years before they got their factory bombed by NATO. It was a compensated, 10mm-chambered Tokarev.

Young Freud
Nov 25, 2006

Linux Republican posted:

Really?

Yeah, I think I'm wrong on the compensator, but I remember seeing a magazine back in the '90s when it came out that had a factory-optional compensator. They called it the Z10, and it really didn't have much of a life, since it was using a niche cartridge and all the political poo poo before the war kinda doomed it's export chances.

Young Freud
Nov 25, 2006

Linux Republican posted:

I think it's more a matter of geometry than strength, such a beast wouldn't fit on the existing platform. The magwell isn't wide enough and the muzzle opening on the slide isn't big enough.

Yeah. The Z10 was designed from the ground (or should I say, the design modified, since it's based off the TT33) to take the 10mm, it's not a conversion. I hadn't noticed it before, but the grip looks similar to the Colt M1911, and probably for good reason.

Young Freud
Nov 25, 2006

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

I feel like I'm looking at the gun version of "Yo Dawg". They put a gun on your gun so you can shoot while you shoot!

I'm surprised none of the pistols under the rifles were Desert Eagles.

Young Freud
Nov 25, 2006

N183CS posted:

Click here for the full 1500x1000 image.

I'm not sure what to think.

I know. I'd laugh at the picture, but the concept behind it and why the did it makes a hell of a lot of sense.

Young Freud
Nov 25, 2006

Hussar posted:

How so? Genuinely curios.

It doesn't seem functionally different in any way, except for the red dot.

Continuing what Shnitzel said about "comparable system with questionable reasons", but the M4 pistol grip and stock really seem to encourage parts compatibility with existing service weapons while also improving it's function.

The Panzerfaust-3 is laid out along the same lines as the RPG and has a rudimentary shoulder stock to help alleivate recoil. I'm surprised it took someone this long to add a stock to an RPG.

There's more about it here on Defense Review.

Young Freud
Nov 25, 2006

Pretty Little Rainbow posted:

Isnt the SMAW supposed to be the US RPG wanna-be?

It fills a similar role, but the SMAWs only really being used by the Marines, from what I hear, and they're looking to replace it. Also, made by foreigners.

The Airtronic RPG-7-USA is made in Chicago, in the heart of the good ol' USA :patriot:

The Defense Review article goes into a bit more detail with the comparison between the SMAW, Carl Gustav, and other weapons in the U.S. armed forces inventory. There's some definite price, training, and armor penetration (compared to the 66mm LAW) comparisons that give RPGs an advantage.

Young Freud
Nov 25, 2006

I think this counts as a conversion kit, since it's base is a Stoner LMG.

The thing in action: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2H2peoX174&feature=player_embedded

Regardless of how tacticlol this thing is, try not to jizz your pants when the Knight's Armament rep says "steadicam mount": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvLK-4VGVks&feature=player_embedded

Young Freud
Nov 25, 2006

Smiling Jack posted:

quote dis if you own the Aliens Colonial Marines Technical Manual by Lee Brimmicombe-Wood ISBN# 0-06-105343-0 :hellyeah:

Sup tech manual buddy :iamafag::respek::razz:

Happy owner since it was first published. It's gotta be the most compleat piece of Aliens fanon ever made. It's too bad it's been out of print for years.

Young Freud
Nov 25, 2006

Ygolonac posted:

You'll have to imagine what they'd look like on the 1911. (Wire brush to scrub that picture from your mind optional.)

RIBBED FOR YOUR PLEASURE!

Christ, I can just imagine them digging into my hand.

Young Freud
Nov 25, 2006

sky shark posted:

I like how the curly cord is visibly not attached to anything. Since it's part of the weapon power system, whoops.

Actually, I think that's the used exposed belt. These are MG42s were talking about.

Young Freud
Nov 25, 2006

STAT1C_X posted:

No AR stocks?

C'mooonnn...

The only problem I have with this is that charging handle on the left-hand side. Wouldn't that ruin your dental work?

Young Freud
Nov 25, 2006

PodexPerfectus posted:

Welp.

This could've been better if they replaced this wasn't a Kel-Tec ad, but she had that Magpul PDW mockup that's been going around. And she had a bob haircut. And maybe some sort of skintight bodysuit. :allears:

Just sayin'.

Young Freud
Nov 25, 2006

Kodo Zoku posted:

huh... magpul vs. seburo, could end up in the ultimate tacticlol showdown!

Since news of it first leaked, I've been wanting someone to ask Magpul how much they're paying Shirow in royalties.

However, that's the CZN M22 from the movie, and is less tacticlol than the semi-real Magpul PDW. It actually looks like a Serbian knock-off of a P90.

The Magpul more closely resembles the Seburo MN23.

Inspector_71 posted:

I'm just saying if we're going to turn her into Major Motoko she needs enormous hoots.

And, if we're counting Stand Alone Complex, she'll need an enormous rear end as well.

Young Freud
Nov 25, 2006

amateur economist posted:

The Kel-Tec does actually look like it'd be useful as a ranch rifle, especially since its cheap, but it's not at all a realistic concealed carry self-defense option.

I swear I remember hearing that it was developed as a survival gun, like in case your boat gets stuck and you have to go out into the forest or swampland. The reason it folds down has less to do with concealability and more that it doesn't get in the way of what you're doing. As a concealed carry defense weapon, it's a poor choice because 1) at 16 inches long, it's not very concealable 2) it takes too long to bring the weapon to bear.

For folding carbines that could fit, the Magpul FMG-9 would be better because its a spring-loaded folder with a Glock as its heart.

Craptacular posted:

Based on my experience shooting ~10 rounds through the one that Dr. Video Games 0126 used to own, the Sub 2000 is a big blob of poo poo.

I still reserve judgment, but I remember when I went shooting with a friend, a married couple next to us had a Kel-Tec 9mm that jammed on every single round. My friend's Ramline was more reliable than that. Before that I would've respect Kel-Tec but seeing that took the shine off of them for me.

Young Freud
Nov 25, 2006

Foehammer posted:

Yes, the hi-point carbine gets good reviews, let me know when someone makes a cheap 9mm carbine that isn't ugly as gently caress :D

I ran into this while looking into that CX4 stock. News said it was coming out in January from Hi-Point, but nothing yet.

Click here for the full 640x204 image.

Young Freud
Nov 25, 2006

Pretty Little Rainbow posted:

Whats more awkward than reloading a bullpup?

Reloading a bullpup with a stripper clip!

http://sgworks.com/

And it doesn't look like they don't make that for the clip-fed SKS-M, which you'd think that would be a given.

Young Freud
Nov 25, 2006

TenementFunster posted:

SKS-M is magazine-fed. every SKS is magazine-fed

Whoops, look like I violated the TFR's sacred rule, calling box magazines "clips". The SKS-M is the removable box magazine version.

Young Freud
Nov 25, 2006

BaronW posted:

See also:

Also this:

Click here for the full 800x341 image.

Young Freud
Nov 25, 2006

chairface posted:

I'm confused by the geometry on this. How can your left arm even reach the VFG since the left side of the beta-c mag is in the way of your left forearm due to the forend being so goddamned short? Is there some kind of weird left-elbow-out stance for this?

Yeah, you'd either be really chicken-winging your elbows out or cupping the bottom of the vertical foregrip with your palm.

Young Freud
Nov 25, 2006

omgLerkHat! posted:

The likely solution they used is to simply leave the trigger group where it is and run a long transfer bar from the new trigger back to the old trigger group. Since the new trigger is below the barrel and chamber it wouldn't need to feed around it, and you could just have the transfer bar go around the sides of the magazine like the trigger on a 1911, since it looks rather thick there.

If I get what you're saying, then this is similar to those old Muzzelite bullpup kits. Those used a pretty substantial transfer bar on the inside of the bullpup frame to physically contact the rifles's trigger.

Young Freud
Nov 25, 2006

King Carnivore posted:

There is a .410 Saiga.

Yeah, it was the second Saiga to be built, IIRC.

Young Freud
Nov 25, 2006

DrakeriderCa posted:

They used airsoft? That poo poo's against the rules. Although it would make LARPing 100x less retarded.

There was this Norweigian Cyberpunk LARP called "Wanderer" that me and my friends emulated back in the mid '90s. They used gas-powered airsofts.

My own problem is, if you're using airsofts for LARP, how do you guarantee eye protection and still keep it consistent with the setting? Milsim can balance this, since airsofters are playing well-equipped, well-trained "operators", but, unless you're LARPing the Matrix, then it's pretty difficult.

Young Freud
Nov 25, 2006

This whole "tranny AR" reminds me of those weird Romanian mutant Uzis that pop up in Syfy-original and/or late-career Wesley Snipes movies, where the grip has been built further back so the magazine no longer feeds through the grip.

Young Freud
Nov 25, 2006

Roneth posted:

What's the real difference between all of the models? Cosmetic changes? I really want one and can't pick which one.

The obvious differences are the AR-style adjustable stock and railz!!!

Young Freud
Nov 25, 2006

joehonkie posted:

Is, is that a Hi-Point pistol? Jesus.

Young Freud
Nov 25, 2006

HoseKing posted:

Someone made an airsoft copy of a gun from district 9.......

Yeah, it's not even one of the cool guns from District 9. :rolleyes:

Young Freud
Nov 25, 2006

I'll admit, the "book" and the "laptop power supply" concealment methods are pretty clever.

Young Freud
Nov 25, 2006

Slim Pickens posted:

You can tell the bottom one is a joke, but i like how serious the guy is trying to look holding it.

I'm not sure which is the better dead giveaway, the foregrip in front of the spotter scope's eye piece or the Trijicon Reflex Sight+Aimpoint+ELCAN on the top rail.

Young Freud
Nov 25, 2006

I like, but it needs a plate carrier. Two for the well-endowed operator. :pervert:

Young Freud
Nov 25, 2006

Ygolonac posted:

All the times "AR-57" has shown up has got me thinking of a 5.7mm AR-7... or at least a .17 HMR or HM2 version.

You know, that sounds pretty cool. I wonder if we can get the Air Force to buy them again if that happened.

Young Freud
Nov 25, 2006

Propagandalf posted:

Someone tell me why I should hate that, beyond the fact that its a Kel-tec? Sure the bipod is kinda :gay: but the rest of the accessories are par for the course in EBR land.

Because this is the original gun.

Then again, it could be the PLR-16 was tactiLOL to begin with and the owner is just restoring the gun to the PLR-16's predecessor's original rifle format.

I almost thought it was this and thought it defeated the purpose of having a rifle that could folddown for storage.

Young Freud
Nov 25, 2006

Propagandalf posted:

Maybe rental cops, too, rental cops with swords would be pretty funny.

Back in the late 19th and early 20th, they didn't use armored foot police with batons. Cavalry troops with sabers, sheathed or unsheathed, were often used to break up riots. A cavalry saber has unique effect on the disposition of a rioter.

Young Freud
Nov 25, 2006

Or, according to Evita, into Che Guevara.

Young Freud
Nov 25, 2006

Mister Sinewave posted:

KNOW SOMETHING? SAY SOMETHING!

"It's that time again."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Freud
Nov 25, 2006

Is that two 10-round magazines duct-taped together so that one feeds into the other and two muzzle brakes? That's some Ray Winninger's Underground-style poo poo right there.

edit: correcting ammo cap

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Nov 21, 2009