Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hangedman
Dec 20, 2003

Fish out of water

That .357 Sig XD isn't tacticlol at all. It looks like it's been modified for competition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hangedman
Dec 20, 2003

Fish out of water

Action Jesus posted:

In your condition this picture should be like a pack of cigarettes.

That's just about the worst picture in the thread to me. Nothing's particularly ballsy or envelope-pushing about it; it just really sucks and looks terrible.

hangedman
Dec 20, 2003

Fish out of water

James Woods posted:

In CA, (I'm still not clear on the laws out here) does the 10 round magazine limit extend in any way to belt fed weapons?

Yes, it does. A few posters here are correct: if you're going to use a belt-fed weapon in CA, you can't have more than 10 rounds linked at a time. A guy at my range was telling me about Browning 1918 builds.

Also, I'm completely with Gtab: Ultimak rail + M1 Carbine = Awesome. Not the best picture, but it's functional and not too ricey for me.

hangedman
Dec 20, 2003

Fish out of water

I also hate to be a wet blanket about it (I just closed Doom II, in fact), but it looks like he's rigging the things up to one trigger. If so, isn't one of the basic BATFE definitions of a machinegun that two or more rounds are expended for every one pull of the trigger?

This is of course assuming that he's building the thing to fire two rounds with one trigger pull, and if he isn't, why is he loving bothering?

edit: nevermind. The dude apparently does have two triggers on there.

hangedman fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jun 17, 2008

hangedman
Dec 20, 2003

Fish out of water

I never thought I'd ever see a tactical Wilkinson Arms Linda, of all things. Ever.

I swear to god, that gun really is like something that came off of the island of misfit toys. "I wanted to be a pistol, but I'm too heavy!" And this is just the regular Linda I'm talking about.

edit:

Tacticalinda!

hangedman
Dec 20, 2003

Fish out of water

I am completely elated every time there are new posts in this thread.

If there are Dale Jr. throwing stars(?), I wonder what else is out there. Condoms? Life Jackets? Audio/Visual cable? Like, honestly, I can scour the depths of my mind to come up with goofy Dale Earnhardt / Dale Jr. memorabilia, but I don't think anyone can do better than Ninja Star.

I can only imagine the Venn diagram used for that pitch session.

hangedman
Dec 20, 2003

Fish out of water

Gtab posted:

MGS2 was fantastic and anyone who didn't enjoy it because ITS NOT SOLID SNAKE is a goddamn pissant.

MGS2 wasn't bad, but having worked as a game designer, I can tell you that giving the player all sorts of cool death-dealing poo poo but expecting them to use the M9 tranquilizer for the whole game was not a stroke of genius. Snake Eater was the best MGS game, by far. The memories of gunning down squads of Russians with a silenced M16A1 and skull facepaint still makes my dick hard. That's like Doom II levels of hardassery.

hangedman
Dec 20, 2003

Fish out of water

BaronW posted:

I think those rule and belong in a scifi/western dinosaur planet movie.

Agreed. I saw the Shooting Masters about a week ago and I really haven't been able to get the tan one out of my mind. And hey-- technically, we can own them here.

hangedman
Dec 20, 2003

Fish out of water

Hard-rear end Mullet Dude: attempting to turn sow's ears into silk purses since 1973.

hangedman
Dec 20, 2003

Fish out of water

That Hammerli is poo poo hot and not at all tacticlol. I'd jump at the chance to shoot it.

hangedman
Dec 20, 2003

Fish out of water

The Architect posted:

I actually think this is super duper awesome.

hangedman
Dec 20, 2003

Fish out of water

DrakeriderCa posted:

That's what I got out of it. I really hope this thing was a mixmaster, or had previously been sporterized. But the work that he did is pretty nice - moving the bolt handle and reworking the receiver for a better scope mount is pretty smart. The non-free floating forearm and overall AR-15 look is disappointing, but not really unexpected nowadays. Overall though, it is an interesting adaptation and the work appears to be well done.

I agree. The guy hacked up a Mosin Nagant, but so what? He knew what modifications he wanted and machined everything himself. It's ugly, and he's trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear, but I wouldn't quite call it tacticlol.

hangedman
Dec 20, 2003

Fish out of water

Cyrano4747 posted:

The silly part of it is that he's calling it a loving sniper rifle.

He didn't even free float the loving barrel!

I don't care how much he cut back or if he did a good crowning job, it's built on a rifle barrel made in the late 20s in Soviet Russia. As bad as a m91/30 built in '42? No, but there is no way in hell it's anything like equal to even a mediocre modern production barrel.

I was going to add an addendum to that post that would have gone something to the effect of: "If the guy really wanted to make a Mosin 'sniper rifle,' he should have cut up a Finn Mosin for that project," but I figured you Mil-Surp guys would lose your poo poo at the suggestion that a rarer, more valuable rifle would have yielded better returns for that dude's frankenproject.

That said, I'll grant you that the guy would probably be more accurate with a box-stock Marlin XS7, assuming he could shoot the thing any better than his Mosin NagARnt.

hangedman
Dec 20, 2003

Fish out of water

The Automator posted:

An exception can be made for power tools due to this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMTZz31jNoQ
Had to be done.

hangedman
Dec 20, 2003

Fish out of water

Is it an SKS? The only thing that potentially gives me a clue is the magazine shape, and I could be wrong.

hangedman
Dec 20, 2003

Fish out of water

I dislike Mosins so much that that they have far more utility for me as canvases for Bubba's next proof of concept than they do as actual rifles that I would ever purchase and shoot.

hangedman
Dec 20, 2003

Fish out of water

I like turtles posted:

What I like about this one is that it's so ridiculously overkill for any kind of home defense scenario that this picture will be seen as a legitimate advertisement by most people who post on gun message boards.

"By god, he's right! I can't clear my house very well with my FAL!"

hangedman
Dec 20, 2003

Fish out of water

The railed coach gun and the second levergun with the mini-dot are poo poo hot.

hangedman
Dec 20, 2003

Fish out of water

Agreed. It would have been a bitchin' 11/87 or 1100 though.

Also, I super dig the Tony the Tiger 10/22.

hangedman
Dec 20, 2003

Fish out of water

king of the bongo posted:

Cleaning out some old drives and I forgot if this was posted in here or not.

loving love it.

hangedman
Dec 20, 2003

Fish out of water

It should go without saying, but it's also 'shopped. In fact, they didn't really bother to fully remove the copper bullet that was in the original picture, so as you move up from the base of the cartridge, you've got brass, copper, some more brass, then the .556 bullet.

Did this come from some joker on a forum, or is some ammo company's inept marketing deparment trying to generate interest in pointy .22lr?

hangedman
Dec 20, 2003

Fish out of water

Reminds me of something I read once in an article about Nigerian 419 scams. I'm paraphrasing, but...

"...in an attempt to make a more lucrative business, many of these authors are discovering the dark side of creative writing: fraud."

hangedman
Dec 20, 2003

Fish out of water

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

Edit: to clarify, this is NOT mine.

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

I'm with Fang on this one. It sounds like the guy's made a gun that does precisely one thing well. The balance must be awful, but he can use the laser / dot for anything relatively close and visible and switch to the NV when the sun goes down.

hangedman
Dec 20, 2003

Fish out of water

Just an update for those wondering if the line between tacticlol and practiclol can be blurred:

I bought one of these things in the hopes of mounting it to my K-22 revolver. I figured having a laser on a .22 pistol would be fun for one-handed point shooting, and I didn't want to shell out $170+ for the K-frame set of Crimson Trace grips. I was willing to take the "looks like utter poo poo" / "ruins the graceful lines of the revolver" factor if it performed as advertised for $20.

It did not perform as advertised. What a loving nightmare this thing is.

For anyone who has ever remotely considered one of these, don't loving do it. Yes, the sight technically mounts to the frame with plastic shims, but until you torque some tiny allen screws down to the point of stripping them, it's going to wiggle around. Second, the "adjustment" of the laser is handled via 4 set screws. Theoretically, you're supposed to be able to unscrew the screw on one side and tighten the other to perform adjustments. Even more fun is that the screws aren't located in a pattern that resembles a "+" configuration, with the elevation screws stacked on top of one another and the windage across from one another. Instead, they're arranged like an "X" when you tighten the laser to the mount.

So let's say you're still willing to work with this. The problem is, there's not really a substantial range of adjustment to compensate for the cack-handed mount you'll get via plastic shims about 2" below your bore axis. That, and if the screws are either too tight or too loose, the laser stops working entirely. Even assuming that you get the thing mounted and working, you might find that under the stresses placed on the gun via dry firing (I poo poo you not), the laser will decide to randomly shut off.

In short, gently caress this stupid piece of poo poo.

hangedman
Dec 20, 2003

Fish out of water

Cyrano4747 posted:

Honestly, I was really grappling with the idea of duct taping / zip tying the fucker on there for a single range session, and you sold me. It's like when a kid has a bad idea--like "I should jump off the roof and into the pool"--but holds off on it until another kid says "dude, you should totally jump off the roof and into the pool."

I'm rigging the thing up now. I'll let you know how the laser and "mount" hold up after tomorrow's range session.

Poor 'lil K-22.

hangedman
Dec 20, 2003

Fish out of water

Follow up via double-post: it is very difficult, if not impossible, to get a stable zero with a laser pointer, electrical tape, and two zip ties.

hangedman
Dec 20, 2003

Fish out of water

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I truly did not realize the state of retarded that exists in California gun laws, until I saw this flowchart. Why do people still live there, as I assume the rest of California state law is just as stupid?

Because there are more pressing dimensions to choosing where I live beyond a hobby that I engage in for a few hours a week?

^^

hangedman
Dec 20, 2003

Fish out of water

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

So except for firearms law, California state code is fairly rational?

I'm not a lawyer, so I can't give you a blanket answer as to how rational our laws are over an entire state. Our gun laws suck, but I can buy booze on a Sunday. Most states have several dumb-assed laws in the books if you look hard enough, but California's dumb gun laws get mentioned quite a bit here because, well, we're a gun forum and that's what we talk about.

I'm really with Damo on this one. It would be nice if I didn't need a bullet button or if I wasn't restricted to low-capacity magazines, but having to push a button with a bullet tip instead of my index finger isn't enough of an imposition to make me completely abandon the AR platform, or more drastically, pack up all of my poo poo in a U-haul and move to another state.

That said, Monsterman / U-15 stocked ARs are ugly as all get-out.

hangedman
Dec 20, 2003

Fish out of water

Cyrano4747 posted:

One thing I'm becoming increasingly aware of is the percentage of TFR posters who don't really shoot that much, if at all.

Not singling out anyone in particular, it's just something I've noticed over the last year.

I think you'd find a similar phenomenon on other forums, as it exists in life. If you go on a camping trip and drink a few cases of Coors over a three day weekend, and you happen to have been carrying a .270 at any part of that trip, you're a hunter and probably think that you're reasonably qualified to talk about guns. If you are a police officer and you've passed your yearly qualifications, you're a law enforcement expert who's reasonably qualified to talk about guns.

Basically what I'm getting at is that there are quite a few "gun people" who like the culture or who know just enough to be dangerous. It's almost incidental that these are things that other people know and shoot. Approaching the hobby really from the shooting part of it, it takes me by surprise, too.

Also, Moxie is delicious and unobtainable in LA save for specialty soda shops (yes, SODA you fuckers!), and I wish the world smiled on me and made it available at my regular grocery store.

hangedman
Dec 20, 2003

Fish out of water

Angry Guacamole posted:

What is... what? This literally looks like something out of a video game.

My thought was Fear 2.

Edit: and as others have mentioned, I don't think I would mind an 870 tarted up in such a manner.

hangedman
Dec 20, 2003

Fish out of water

druid5 posted:

How tacticlol is a red dot sight on a Mosin?

You know, considering that a lot of red dots have a 4 MOA dot and most Mosins average 3 to 4 MOA anyway, why not?

hangedman
Dec 20, 2003

Fish out of water

That CZ-52 is quite literally the apex of this entire thread. It's like looking at the handgun equivalent of a John Waters film.

hangedman
Dec 20, 2003

Fish out of water

You know what I just realized about that CZ-52?

The guy actually machined in a push-button, American-style mag release! Apparently it's the broken clock being right twice a day school of handgun design.

hangedman
Dec 20, 2003

Fish out of water

As a small thought exercise, does an AA-12 do anything that a semi-auto Saiga made with an additional 10 pounds of weights in the stock and around the barrel wouldn't do? It seems like its recoil reduction and speed of follow-up shots is simply because it's really loving heavy.

hangedman
Dec 20, 2003

Fish out of water

Tacticlol really only bugs me when it's a half-assed execution of something else that's already on the market. For example, if you want to put rails on an M1 Carbine? Cool! I did, too! It looks a lot like this guy's.

See, that's useful without making me want to punch myself in the nuts.

hangedman
Dec 20, 2003

Fish out of water

Let me be the handsome guy that pulls pictures and love letters out of his jacket, looks at them longingly and wishes for a quick end to the conflict, and then takes a sniper round to the head not 10 minutes later.

hangedman
Dec 20, 2003

Fish out of water

ought ten posted:

Yet another moment in the history of this thread where I find myself thinking, "You know, I really don't hate this."

hangedman
Dec 20, 2003

Fish out of water

Ninjalicious posted:

I for one wouldn't be interested in that shotgun if it were in the mid to upper range, but at a low end price range like Kel-Tec's it would make a fun range toy.

It's more likely that it's going to be more like the RFB, which is to say that they'll price it at over $1200 and make it decidedly not at the low-end of the shotgun market.

hangedman
Dec 20, 2003

Fish out of water

ChlorineTrifluoride posted:

Someone hosed with a Ruger Hawkeye?

While the modification itself doesn't trip my rage trigger, those things are so bizarre and rare that I'm just puzzled that someone would choose that specific model as a platform.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hangedman
Dec 20, 2003

Fish out of water

Uncle Caveman posted:

I like sweaters and talkin bout sweaters