Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

3-6 drops for 1/2 liter. I just spin the reels around in the tank a few times and pull the reels out.
On 4x5's, I just shake the tank a bit as I can't be bothered to put the lid back on.
I got very soft water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Thanks, I'll try hard shaking next time. The last few times I thought about shaking it I worried about accidentally dropping the reel ... but maybe that will add c̴̪͐͒͌͜͜h̸̢͉̟̿̒̒a̴͓̙̾̽̾r̴͔̼̿̓͜a̵̢̢͖̽̈́̿c̵͍̘͓̓́t̸̘̪͉̽̕e̵̟̼͕͌̚̕r̴̘͕͎̾̓̿ to my lovely negatives?

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Photo flo is 1ml per 200ml. Once I hang my negs, and they've spent 2 minutes soaking in PhotoFlo I pour the same photo flo down them to carry away precipitation/dust/complete the ritual.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

fired up the OM-1 and shot my first roll of fill in 10 years :feelsgood:

Untitled by Lawrence Myers, on Flickr

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

ORWO have just announced a new film you can buy in individual cassettes instead of only in bulk, exciting times

https://www.instagram.com/p/CcxmYQzo7QW/?igshid=MDJmNzVkMjY=

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Went to Italy for work and on the one day with some free time I got myself a disposale camera to get the proper tourist aesthetic

I like how atrociously grainy it gets in dark areas without a flash

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Not sure if anyone cares, or if this is even the right thread, but after buying a dozen or so photo books and finding most of them only ok, I finally got my mind blown by "New York in Color".

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

who are the photographers included?

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

bobmarleysghost posted:

who are the photographers included?

"New York in Color" is just Ernst Haas' work. "Magnum Magnum" is another favorite as it covers the work of many photographers.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

theHUNGERian posted:

"New York in Color" is just Ernst Haas' work. "Magnum Magnum" is another favorite as it covers the work of many photographers.

A selection of his work here and my god, it's great.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Welp, if you ever wondered what would happen if you accidently pour your blix in before your developer when developing C-41, have I got news for you!

I pretty much instantly knew I hosed up so I poured out the blix and gave the film a rinse (maybe not enough) before trying the developer (and ruining those chems too), and a handful of the negatives were unaffected, while the others had quite a range of staining but arguably weren't completely unsalvageable?

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Post it with a #lomo tag and get depressed when they do the best numbers you've ever had

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
Any advice for flying internationally with film? I've heard that hand-checking isn't as much of a thing as it is in the US, but also running it through carry-on xray isn't that big of a deal with reasonable film speeds?

Dudeabides
Jul 26, 2009

"You better not buy me that goddamn tourist av"

dupersaurus posted:

Any advice for flying internationally with film? I've heard that hand-checking isn't as much of a thing as it is in the US, but also running it through carry-on xray isn't that big of a deal with reasonable film speeds?

YMMV honestly. I've flown with different stocks, but usually nothing faster than 400 and a couple passes through the X-ray machine didn't create any visible issues when I developed. Granted it's only been 2 total passes so if you're flying any more than that it could change things.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

I have zero direct experience, but I would label the film as "push to ISO3200" to increase the chances of TSA granting your wish to hand check them.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
Don’t most major airports in the US have CT scanners now at the security check? Those will absolutely wreck your film.

EDIT:

I've had varying degrees of hand checking when I used to travel with film on international flights. I just don't do it anymore after an incident at Haneda Airport. It's been 11 years but it still angers me to this day.

VoodooXT fucked around with this message at 20:17 on May 5, 2022

NicelyNice
Feb 13, 2004

citrus

dupersaurus posted:

Carry-on Xray will be fine for 99% of film, especially with just a couple passes. CT scanners can do more damage on a single pass.

I had no problem flying internationally lately and hand-checking the film, but that was in Japan and Thailand. Your results may vary in the US and/or Europe, where the law is to treat everyone flying as a criminal.

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006
citizenh8 bought me this account because he is a total qt.

dupersaurus posted:

I've had good luck with hand checks at U.S. airports, as a white American being polite with it ready to go in a clear ziplock. I've also done it in Japan, London and Egypt. The only places that flat our refused were Scotland and Luxemburg.

aricoarena fucked around with this message at 02:22 on May 19, 2022

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
Any good YouTube series to recommend for scanning (specifically with VueScan)?

I have been shooting film for *checks notes* going on 15 years, have scanned my own stuff for a lot of that, but have generally been pretty lazy and let Epson Scan's auto settings do a lot of the heavy lifting.

Today I finally gave in and ponied up for VueScan (my GT-X970 has been gathering dust for literally years since Epson's drivers quit working) and am pulling my hair out just trying to do something as basic as "scan three frames". I also realise I need to understand more about colour correction, etc.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Vuescan kinda sucks.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Vuescan kinda sucks.

Yeah, best I can tell it was literally my only option. Every time I changed computers/OS's over the years it became more and more of a battle to get Windows (and by extension, Epson Scan) to recognise the scanner, I've finally had to concede defeat.

For some reason the two dudes who run VueScan can write a working driver but Epson can't :iiam:

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

I use Silverfast to scan my film. It's the scanning software equivalent of the Sony menu layout. It's overwhelming because of all the options, but once you figure it out, you realize you only need a couple of them and it gets much easier to use.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

I use vuescan, in combination with NLP that I use to convert.

NLP has a guide for how to set up vuescan in order to get files that work with it.

That being said, silverfast is better than vuescan (NLP has guides on how to set that up too).

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

i scan as 48 bit raws in silverfast and use NLP by the book. it’s great.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

bellows lugosi posted:

i scan as 48 bit raws in silverfast and use NLP by the book. it’s great.

Same except in Vuescan. Scan everything as a 48 bit raw positive with all the color correction/balancing off.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

i tried that but *always* had issues with my blue channel getting clipped and the developers were pricks about it

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

vuescan can do the ir dust removal on raw scans and silverfast can't for some reason, maybe if i gave them more money it can. also, vuescan nicely increments files names so i can enter 22-m4-001-01+.dng into the filename and then it just pumps out files like

22-m4-001-01.dng
22-m4-001-02.dng
22-m4-001-03.dng
etc

but silverfast is stupid and does

22-m4-001-01.dng
22-m4-001-01 (1).dng
22-m4-001-01 (2).dng

having to buy a different (expensive) license for reach scanner is lame as poo poo, lots of scanners come with one for free though so thats nice.

nlp does seem to give nicer results with silverfast though.

eggsovereasy fucked around with this message at 22:00 on May 23, 2022

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Goos news, SIlverfast 9 now does
pic_01
pic_02
pic_03

You just gotta give them money to upgrade!

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

silverfast 6 also did that in batch scans. it’s great software

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

i think 8 does it for batch scans, but can't batch in a plustek

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

i’m pretty sure you can but i’m very far from a computer and can’t check. i think i always use batch and gently caress it up sometimes because they’ll both scan 1 frame at a time but batch and single scan use different folders

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

New load of film :)

Tri-X used to be my black and white film stock of choice. But i'm gonna try and switch to Fomapan 400, because a roll of 135 format costs me €4,50 while Tri-X is €13 these days and often out of stock.
Also Velvia. Ordered Provia, got Velvia cause they were out of Provia. There's a first time for everything!

I've used the Fomapan 400 only once before in medium format, i really wonder what it looks like in 35mm.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Foma 400 is really like a 200 speed film. 200 is more like a 125. 100 is the only film they have rated correctly.

Anyway, from what I've looked at Foma 400 looks great at 200, I just shoot 100 myself but only in medium format and I love it.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
I will stan for Foma and I don't care.

Foma's regular B&W emulsions are fine if you want a general purpose mono film. There's a bit of grain in the 400 but they all respond well to fast developers like Rodinal and have a lot of exposure latitude.

Foma Retropan is loving horrible though.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

One of my rolls of Foma 100 was labeled "ASA400" inside the box, so I shot it at ISO200, but once developed I saw that the rebate said "100" and sure enough the pictures were underexposed. I mean, I got lucky in that I actually dig some underexposure in BW (with the right subject), but no way I'll pay money for film with this level of quality control issues.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

This picture was taken in 2018. Sigh.
Prices in euro of course.
This drug store also rebranded actual Kodak Ektar as their own brand for stupidly low prices.

Thanks for the advice re: fomapan 400 btw. Good to know to expose it at 200 instead of 400. I prefer overexposing negative films rather than underexposing.

LimaBiker fucked around with this message at 18:18 on May 30, 2022

jiffypop45
Dec 30, 2011

Anyone have an online lab that does ecn-2 processing that they trust/does a good job?

Partner has picked up some cine film and darkroom.com doesn't have the equipment for it.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

I'm forever salty about Foma 400 because I remember when Arista EDU 400 was Tri-X :colbert:

I did get two rolls of Foma 200 in a bulk buy from someone that sold their MF camera locally, will try rating at 125.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

My first Hasselblad arrived yesterday. What an absolutely wonderful marriage of elegance, size, and weight. If anyone is interested, I'll be listing an RZ67 Pro II kit for sale in a week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

theHUNGERian posted:

My first Hasselblad arrived yesterday. What an absolutely wonderful marriage of elegance, size, and weight. If anyone is interested, I'll be listing an RZ67 Pro II kit for sale in a week.

Congrats, it’s an excellent camera!