Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Blackhawk posted:

I don't know what cameras cost anymore but when I was looking for a rangefinder I ended up with a Voigtlander Bessa R3A

$1200+ us, which seems nuts to me. its a nice camera, but you're in Leica M3/M2/M4 territory for that price if ebay sold listings are any indication and that's no contest imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

eggsovereasy posted:

$1200+ us, which seems nuts to me. its a nice camera, but you're in Leica M3/M2/M4 territory for that price if ebay sold listings are any indication and that's no contest imo.

Yeah, I was going to say something like “I’d buy one again, if they hadn’t more than doubled in price” but was on my phone and too lazy to look it up to confirm. I’m no Leica fanboy but I’d probably rather have a beat up Leica than a decent Bessa. (It was fine, but I wouldn’t say it was amazing.)

The Canons can be had for under $200 with the 50mm f/1.8, maybe 400 ish with the 50mm f/1.4. Sure you’re limited to screw mount glass, but all the cheap stuff is screw mount anyways, and you can carry it forward to M mount if you upgrade in the future.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
Voigtlander Bessas used to be like $600 new. :smith:

I ended up with a Zeiss Ikon ZM back in late 2008, still going strong and it's probably the camera I take out the most now.

Ethics_Gradient posted:

The Canons can be had for under $200 with the 50mm f/1.8, maybe 400 ish with the 50mm f/1.4. Sure you’re limited to screw mount glass, but all the cheap stuff is screw mount anyways, and you can carry it forward to M mount if you upgrade in the future.

Honestly, I would go with this recommendation (either the Canon 7 or P would be great). Just be aware that you can't go between Russian and Japanese screw mount lenses (different thread pitches).

VoodooXT fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jun 5, 2023

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

eggsovereasy posted:

Lol ok yeah pretty sure I paid about half of that or less for mine.

At the time I was also looking at Minolta CLE's but I'm sure they're also up to stupid-money levels these days.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

VoodooXT posted:

Just be aware that you can't go between Russian and Japanese screw mount lenses (different thread pitches).

Had no idea about that - they both work fine on the LTM to M mount adapters I have, at least?

I know the earlier 35mm Jupiter lens is too deep for most non FSU cameras, but that’s the only incompatibility I knew of.

There were also a bunch of nerds saying the 85mm Jupiter isn’t actually accurate with any RF, but I don’t think any of them had actually used one before, I shot mine on my Bessa with no issues.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

Ethics_Gradient posted:

Had no idea about that - they both work fine on the LTM to M mount adapters I have, at least?

I know the earlier 35mm Jupiter lens is too deep for most non FSU cameras, but that’s the only incompatibility I knew of.

There were also a bunch of nerds saying the 85mm Jupiter isn’t actually accurate with any RF, but I don’t think any of them had actually used one before, I shot mine on my Bessa with no issues.

I’m trying to remember correctly what it was (I may be misremembering), but I think it was mainly not putting Japanese screw mount lenses on Soviet bodies because of the slightly different thread pitch.

I may be wrong though and it might be complete bullshit.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

VoodooXT posted:

Honestly, I would go with this recommendation (either the Canon 7 or P would be great). Just be aware that you can't go between Russian and Japanese screw mount lenses (different thread pitches).

Huh? I have a Leica III and my go-to wide angle is a Jupiter-12. I've regularly changed between both FSU, Japanese, and German LTM lenses and they all focus correctly.

The kicker I thought was that there is a slight difference for the FSU lenses due to the use of the metric system which means that, at the closest ranges, you'll be out something like 5-10cm. This only has a practical effect if you are shooting wide open at 1m anyway using lenses like the 50mm f2 Jupiter-8.

The only lens that doesn't mount correctly on my Fed-1 is my 1934 135mm f4.5 Elmar, and that's because the feeler for focusing doesn't actually line up with the RF cam, whereas it is properly aligned on my Leica. It'd probably focus at most distances but the RF isn't engaged.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
Ok, I managed to track down what the issue is. Apparently Canon used a slightly different thread pitch on their really early screw mount lenses (pre-1950), so you're not supposed to use those on other non-Canon screw mounts. So as long as it's not one of the early Canon Serenars, you're good with any screw mount lens.

HorribleAvatar
Feb 26, 2012

We're through running form these bastards!

Ethics_Gradient posted:

I haven't used a Contax G; the system doesn't massively appeal to me as the lenses are annoying (at best) to adapt and use on other cameras, auto focus, cost, etc. Who knows, maybe they're awesome, but they never appealed to me enough to try picking one up.

I guess it depends on what you think is lacking about the Elan. If you've got a digital EF to swap lenses across that's a pretty power incentive to keep it, you might look at a later one with eye control focus if yours is the first gen, or maybe one of the pro bodies.

If you want a manual 35mm rangefinder with interchangeable lenses, I think a Canon 7 is really the camera to beat if you're on a budget. The Russian bodies each have their own annoying quirks, the Canon has much better handling, ergonomics, and build quality while also not costing an arm and a leg like the M bodies do, and sometimes the meter even still works! I'd get one with the 50mm f/1.4 to start out.

You could also try a TLR if you want something really different, you can get a no-name Japanese one for basically nothing (I picked up one called an "Elmoflex" for ten bucks last summer). There are also some inexpensive 6x6 and 6x9 folding cameras like the Mamiya Six and Moskva-5.

Or be a masochist and get a 4x5 camera and shoot sheet film. It really slows you down and gets you thinking about each picture.

I tend not to like the size especially with the battery grip attached (I'm a bit of a snob and need my battery grips) it's a fair bit larger than my Sony a7III. My concern is when I take either system hiking. I've been looking to downsize the weight of my kit which has made me seriously consider a Fuji XS-20, but that's a story for another thread. I considered the Contax because it looked like the overall package could save me a bit of weight when I wanted to shoot film while hiking.

Heh I took a Pentax 645N to Canyonlands and also tried a 6x7 for landscapes here in the canyons. That was the first and last time I'm going to shoot medium format landscapes it was overall just way too heavy for me to lug around. Also with prices the way they are these days the rarer wide angle lenses for the medium format systems are way too expensive for me to invest in at this point.

I have a photo buddy that shoots 4x5 landscapes on occasion and he says it's not too bad if you know how and what to pack. Too much for me.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

HorribleAvatar posted:

I have a photo buddy that shoots 4x5 landscapes on occasion and he says it's not too bad if you know how and what to pack. Too much for me.

A well thought out 4x5 kit would likely weigh less than than many medium format system, but 35mm is def the king of small and light especially rangefinders.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
I just ordered a 135mm for my X-700 and I’m interested to see how it changes things for me. I’m shooting like 70/30% at my 28/50mm and I really have no idea how I’m going to have to change my thought process for it.

Speaking of being thoughtful, carrying a DSLR and a SLR on vacation is kind of annoying, but it’s nice to be able to spam the digital for posterity and just relax and have fun with film

All on Portra 400 with an X-700

May-25-12

May-25-18

May-25-26

May-25-27

May-25-05

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

HorribleAvatar posted:

I tend not to like the size especially with the battery grip attached (I'm a bit of a snob and need my battery grips) it's a fair bit larger than my Sony a7III. My concern is when I take either system hiking. I've been looking to downsize the weight of my kit which has made me seriously consider a Fuji XS-20, but that's a story for another thread. I considered the Contax because it looked like the overall package could save me a bit of weight when I wanted to shoot film while hiking.

Heh I took a Pentax 645N to Canyonlands and also tried a 6x7 for landscapes here in the canyons. That was the first and last time I'm going to shoot medium format landscapes it was overall just way too heavy for me to lug around. Also with prices the way they are these days the rarer wide angle lenses for the medium format systems are way too expensive for me to invest in at this point.

If you're talking a 6x7 SLR yeah that'd be miserable to hike with, but I'd recommend giving folding cameras a look if you can deal with a fixed ~45-50mm equivalent FoV. You probably don't even need a coupled rangefinder if you're shooting primarily landscapes.

If you're looking to spend Contax G money, you might also look at some of the 35mm compact P&S - some of them are selling for stupid money, but there are still probably some reasonable deals out there.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

HorribleAvatar posted:

I've done 3-day hiking and mountaineering trips with my 4x5 setup AND the Bessa rangefinder (which may as well weigh nothing compared to the 4x5). Obviously with that much weight I'm not going to be setting any speed records or doing any technical climbing but can still go far enough to get to some lovely places.

IMO the biggest issue with the 4x5 isn't the weight, it's how long it takes to set up and take a photo. I actually like that aspect but it also means you have no chance of getting opportunistic shots, which is why I carry the Bessa as well.

Personally I really don't like 35mm for traditional landscapes as for me the quality isn't good enough, it can work for some types of scenery but it's not my style.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

My first 5 darkroom prints in about 8 years time. They're made on Ilford MGIV paper, at least 20 years old, so not terribly contrasty - but usable nonetheless.

Camera for the high voltage line: Canon Dial 35, Bergger BRF400 in Rodinal.
The others are made with a Ricoh Singlex TLS with 50mm/f1.4 auto rikenon lens and are RPX400 in Rodinal.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Solved the problem with the $10 AV-1 I bought that didn't work... I bought another one that does for $5. :v:

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Does anyone know if the older Fujica G690BLP requires a special cable release? I have two functional bodies*, but the cable release I have (which works fine a a GW690II) will not work on either G690BLP.

*I am not a smart man, I know.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Took some spooky photos in the forest

Also some less spooky pictures

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jun 13, 2023

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do

Developing some rolls from January. Accidentally underexposed this whole roll but I'm really liking this shot.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Pitch black blacks rule!

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Ziggy Smalls posted:

Developing some rolls from January. Accidentally underexposed this whole roll but I'm really liking this shot.

That's fantastic

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Ziggy Smalls posted:

Strark Goyaesque imagery.

Grade A stuff.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

I'm finally getting an orientation in my community darkroom today. Goodbye lovely flatbed negative scans, hello lovely flatbed photo scans!

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae
Darkrooms are fun! Follow the steps to a T at first!

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

At first glance, those scraps of wood looked like some kind of usually brightly colored 90s artwork to me. Like it!

A long time ago, i took a bunch of pictures on Adox CMS20 microfilm in standard 35mm format. I just printed a few of the pics in the darkroom

Although most people who use this film try to reduce the contrast to get good grey tone separation, i really like the black and white effect it gives when printed.

Taking pictures of semi-glossy paper is pretty hard. I'll repost these when they're completely dry and i can handle them a bit easier.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!
Dope

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Blackhawk posted:

Lol ok yeah pretty sure I paid about half of that or less for mine.

At the time I was also looking at Minolta CLE's but I'm sure they're also up to stupid-money levels these days.

I recently picked up a CLA'd CLE (plus grip and flash) as my first M-mount and I can confirm they are also stupid-money level but not as bad as the Zeiss Ikon ZM (my second choice) or any Leica body so I was still able to get a CLE body plus a Voigtlander 40mm f1.4 and a Voigtlander 28mm f2 for about what I'd pay for a Ikon body alone. I'm quite satisfied with the results aside from a couple of quirks (no meter in manual mode, WHY?) but this just means if I get another M body it'll probably be an M6. I considered the Bessa R4 a well since I like to shoot wide but the ergonomics of that thing just turn me off.

I also picked up a new dedicated 35mm scanner, the Opticfilm 8300i. It was about a hundred fitty more than the 8200 and says it's faster but I have no way of knowing. Still feels miles better in build quality compared to the Primefilm XEs I had that broke down after a month, even if the max resolution on it is less.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

theHUNGERian posted:

Does anyone know if the older Fujica G690BLP requires a special cable release? I have two functional bodies*, but the cable release I have (which works fine a a GW690II) will not work on either G690BLP.

*I am not a smart man, I know.

Turns out that both cameras fire fine using a different cable release.

Edit: Does anyone shoot 6x9 with wide to tele lenses? If so, how? I just came back from a photo walk where the 65 mm acted up, and I am not sure I want to sink more $$$ into this system.

theHUNGERian fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jul 5, 2023

tiniestacorn
Oct 3, 2015

Sick. Looks like a Hopper painting.

Knowledge Expert
Feb 18, 2004

Anyone here try out a Pinsta pinhole camera? I’ve never tried pinhole or sheet film before so the Pinsta seems like a fun way to check both boxes. Is the enlarger function worth the extra cost?

Guess I could get one of those Holga pinholes and tape it up instead.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
https://kosmofoto.com/2023/07/lomography-announces-lomochrome-color-92-400-iso-colour-negative-film/
There's a new Lomo color negative film out! Reddit is currently being weird about whether or not it's a really new film stock

some not good marketing copy from Lomography posted:

1992. What a time to be alive! The Berlin Wall had fallen, the Cold War was over and a whole generation was ready to break free. Fashion was daring, the music iconic and everywhere you looked creativity flourished – so much so that it’s still inspiring us to this day.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Ominous Jazz posted:

https://kosmofoto.com/2023/07/lomography-announces-lomochrome-color-92-400-iso-colour-negative-film/
There's a new Lomo color negative film out! Reddit is currently being weird about whether or not it's a really new film stock

I know they say it’s new but I believe this is Shanghai Light 400, or based off it. “Ilford Ilfocolor 400” is repackaged Light 400 and it looks the same.

I’ve seen mixed results for this film (if it’s the same). A mate shot it at 400 and it turned about a bit underexposed, I shot it lazily in my Zenit-C at about 200ish and the results were fine. I’d shoot it again but it has a very cool cast and the shadows are very blue.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

dupersaurus posted:

All on Portra 400 with an X-700

May-25-18

This one is amazing.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

tiniestacorn posted:

Sick. Looks like a Hopper painting.

FreudianSlippers posted:

This one is amazing.

Yeah that one’s a banger, definitely my favorite from the trip. Maybe the best shot I’ve yet done where the filmy-ness really makes it. To think I nearly missed it because it was the end of a long day and I was zoning out.

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do
Are the focal plane shutter hasselblads (2000f,fc,fcm,fcw) as fragile as other photography forums seem to suggest?

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Ziggy Smalls posted:

Are the focal plane shutter hasselblads (2000f,fc,fcm,fcw) as fragile as other photography forums seem to suggest?

I went to look at one in uni, the seller (not the owner, was selling for a dude who worked for him) put his thumb through the titanium shutter by accident.

It still haunts me to this day.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Ziggy Smalls posted:

I have a 2000FCW.

Yes, the shutter is fragile.

But if you operate the camera normally, you will never have an opportunity to touch the shutter, and so if you have a copy that is light tight, then it should remain so.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
I went to take photos with some friends in detroit and had mixed results as my heavily expired lomo metropolis @200 did not produce results a mother could love. And the non-ai lens my friend lent me closed the aperture down heaps when I shot, but not when my FE2 was metering (I think?) point is a lot of shots were underexposed and ruined. I could chuck some in bw in post and was happy with the results

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Have you tried refining the black point on this one? It looks a bit too light in the shadows and I think it could look dope with a proper black black point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

My home scans of Delta 100, developed in DD-X, scanned with a V850 with all sharpening turned off, show some grain. While I fully embrace grain, I do wonder what Delta 100 would look like if developed for as much of a "grain-free" look as possible.

Developing recipe:
DD-X:water = 150:800 mL, 20 C, 9 min, continuous agitation in a Simma roller
Stop:water = 50:900 mL, 30 sec
Fix:water = 190:760 mL, 5 min
Rinse: 5 times in tap water, 2 times with water that was filtered then distilled

Am I right in assuming that the developer has the biggest impact on grain? If so, what's the gold standard liquid developer to try for minimum grain?

Edit: And what am I trading off by developing for smallest grain?

theHUNGERian fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jul 14, 2023