Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dudeabides
Jul 26, 2009

"You better not buy me that goddamn tourist av"

alkanphel posted:

Hell yeah T-MAX ftw

I'm a die hard subscriber to T-max. Speaking of Spotmatics, has anyone ever used a light meter app on their phone rather than put batteries in for the meter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dudeabides
Jul 26, 2009

Where's the best place to get film development done for the film only if I'm not feeling like finding a darkroom? Do any consumer labs even do it anymore?

Dudeabides
Jul 26, 2009

MrBlandAverage posted:

When you say "do any consumer labs do it anymore" it sounds like you're asking about B&W, and the answer to that question is no. Also, you don't need a darkroom to develop film.

I'll rephrase and say, I don't have a drum and other equipment for developing at home. I wanted to see if there was anywhere besides dedicated camera shops that would offer processing.

Dudeabides
Jul 26, 2009

I'm in the northeast USA so there may be a few chains that still do. I may break down one day and buy the gear so I can just do it myself.

Dudeabides
Jul 26, 2009

Where's the best place to grab film in the Boston area? I've found one place near my house in Newtonville, but I want more sources.

Dudeabides
Jul 26, 2009

I was going through a couple old cameras of mine and found some film in one that must never had been shot (didn't take to the spool and was still sitting with the lead out). I'm going to use it now but it's very much expired. I need to overexpose it to be safe right?

Dudeabides
Jul 26, 2009

Is there a similar app like this for iOS? I've already got pocket light meter so this would be great!

Dudeabides
Jul 26, 2009

Has anyone ever tried to convert a baby brownie to use 35mm? I got one from my grandpa and the shutter still activates. I need to seal some old cracks in the bakelite but beyond that it could be functional.

Dudeabides
Jul 26, 2009

Looking at it further, you'd be right. My local camera shop has one roll of 127 in their film rack that they're not sure who brought it in (priced at only $12 though!).

I'm looking on eBay and seeing I can buy a Soviet era TLR for under $50 so I think I'll just embrace medium format.

Dudeabides
Jul 26, 2009

Wild EEPROM posted:

Let
Me
Tell
You
About
My
New
Scanner

Please. Do.

Also:

Anyone ever dabble with Lubitels or other cheap soviet medium format cameras? Pros? Cons?

Dudeabides
Jul 26, 2009

Started using FilmPro for iOS to log my film shooting. The one thing I’m not seeing on it is an export feature. Anyone use a similar app that has some more features to it?

Dudeabides
Jul 26, 2009

Without any warning, my camera and electronics collecting uncle sent me a Nikon LS-1000 film scanner he had laying around. The only problem is that it's so old that it only uses a SCSI connector...and that it's old.

Is it worth trying to find the connector parts needed to hook it up to my computer?

Dudeabides
Jul 26, 2009

VelociBacon posted:

Do you shoot a lot of 35mm?

I've started to pick up more now that I have a bit more expendable income. I develop my own B&W and want to scan it to my computer.

Dudeabides
Jul 26, 2009

How do the scans look coming from film to DSLR?

Dudeabides
Jul 26, 2009

What lens are you using on your 7d to shoot the film?

Dudeabides
Jul 26, 2009

Film scanner is finally up and running! Time to spend hours getting frames digitized

Dudeabides
Jul 26, 2009

Okay, scanner question time. I have some grainy images that I've been trying to correct as much as I can in LR.

The film is tri-x 400 from at least 10 years ago. I developed it a few months ago. Is the grain from old film or the scanner?

img023.jpg by Peter Crain, on Flickr

Dudeabides
Jul 26, 2009

A friend of mine sent me his old Canon 1n with battery grip because it was just collecting dust for him (he's had a photo business for decades). I decided to christen it with trying some new rolls of film that I haven't used before. So the question is...do I shoot the roll of Ilford Delta 100, or the Ektar 100 first?

Dudeabides
Jul 26, 2009

Sauer posted:

Delta if its a disgusting gray winter wherever you are, Ektar if there's colour.

I'm in Raleigh, NC so it depends on the day.

Here's what my ME Super and TMax 100 looked like when I went to Asheville the other weekend (where it was much grayer and icy).

Dudeabides
Jul 26, 2009

President Beep posted:

I'm looking forward to trying out Ektar once there's more colors to be seen around here other than white and brown. :geno:

:same:

Since moving to NC the weather for taking photos is great, but they still get winter conditions and it's all just been grey and rain lately. I have a roll of Ektar that is sitting waiting to be used.

Dudeabides
Jul 26, 2009

Are you looking to continue with it after your courses? KEH is a good place to look as they have cameras in all sorts of price ranges depending on their condition. Check your local thrift shops as well because you can occasionally get lucky there too.

I started a long time ago with a Pentax SP1000 which are mechanical and last forever and probably run for $50 if you can find it. The ME Super has some more electronic control and is also a dime a dozen most places.

Check eBay and your local Facebook/craigslist marketplaces as well.

E: I see you’re a bit hamstrung with availability, but you’d be surprised what you can find secondhand

Dudeabides
Jul 26, 2009

Sauer posted:

That is one of the nice things about the more modern film bodies; you can swap lenses between them and a DSLR without issue. My Nikon film bodies have no trouble using all the fancy modern Nikkors with no aperture rings and Vibration Reduction and such.

As much as I love using my Pentax cameras, I was recently gifted an EOS-1n and it's been amazing in terms of having the conveniences of using my DSLR glass and having the functionality of a digital while still shooting film. It's also got the battery grip so if I truly wanted to burn money I could burn through rolls for forever.

Dudeabides
Jul 26, 2009

Printing is fun but I don't have the space for it so I just stick to developing the rolls in my guest bathroom and scanning them to my computer.

Have fun though because it's really rewarding to watch your pictures slowly form before your eyes. Also you can do things like the sabattier effect and make cool looking prints.

Dudeabides
Jul 26, 2009

President Beep posted:

I guess you can use a toothpick instead. You better still be miserable though!

I prefer a cigar because I'm developing photos of Spiderman

Dudeabides
Jul 26, 2009

Insanite posted:

Any Boston-area folks want a couple of free Pentax SMC-A 50mms, one 2.0, the other 1.7? Aperture ring one on one is a bit sticky, and on the other it doesn't go any smaller than 8. Might be fun for rehab/learning.

Not sure if they're worth shipping, but I'd consider it if no one local pipes up.

Unfortunately I'm no longer in Boston, but I'd be willing to still take the 1.7 off your hands if no one has claimed it.

Also as a general question, I want to experiment with pushing my film in development. Does that mean I need to also push in-camera or can I shoot box speed and push a stop? I'm using 400 speed film.

Dudeabides
Jul 26, 2009

Sauer posted:

Hello I'm Sauer and I like Pentax cameras.

Same here! My first SLR ever was an SP1000 that my uncle gave me when I was 10. I still have it on my shelf but I primarily use an ME Super with a 50mm 1.7 lens and it accomplishes most of what I want to do with a 35mm camera as of now. I have a macro 40-80 lens that is getting some filaments in it so that needs cleaning.

My other active use camera is a canon EOS 1n and that’s just a wonderful unit for rugged and extreme conditions

Dudeabides
Jul 26, 2009

Insanite posted:

PM me an address and I'll send it there. No reason for me to keep it sitting in a drawer if someone wants to putter with it.

PM’ed ya!

Dudeabides
Jul 26, 2009

The general thread consensus is Portra. Ektar is pretty great too.

Dudeabides
Jul 26, 2009

Sauer posted:

If you live in Canada our Walmarts (probably in the USA as well) have started stocking three packs of Kodak Gold 200 for 12 bux. That's probably one of the best deals you'll find in this country for an affordable film and its a pretty good product in its own right if you like Kodak colors. Its warmer than Color Plus with milder grain.

Walmart and a lot of chain drug stores here in the States sell Gold 200 for pretty cheap still.

Annath posted:

I'm a total neophyte, so I probably don't need super pro level stuff, just something that will not look like rear end.

I'm trying to learn to shoot film, and one thing I thought I'd try is taking the same shots with my digital camera and my film, then comparing the results to see what tweaks I would need to make on the film camera. Only downside being the lag time for getting the film developed. I don't have the money or space to do my own developing. (yes I know about the little barrels and the light tight bags, its not feasible for me right now) so sending it off is my best bet.

I guess I'd need to record what settings I used for each shot on the film, and what settings the digital used for the same shot when set to Auto or Auto-Scene? Does that seem like a good idea?

You could do this, but if your aim is to just learn how to get proper exposures with film, I would just keep a log.

Your digital camera may be setting different variables if you're shooting with auto settings. You can't change the speed of your film (pushing and pulling not withstanding), but a digital camera will change the "ISO" of the sensor based on other settings and the light that it's gathering to get what it feels is the best exposure. What kind of film camera are you shooting with? If it has a meter built in, you should just use that and adjust based on what it's telling you as that will give you what it feels will give you the proper exposure.

I use an app on my phone called Analog that gives me the ability to tag location, enter shutter speed and aperture, as well as other notes and details so I can go back to my fames after development and see what I was doing to get the results I'm looking at.

Dudeabides
Jul 26, 2009

Annath posted:

I mean I have a Pentax K1000, it has a light meter, and it works even, but it doesn't have any numbers, just a needle in a range.

I have an SP1000 and a Yashica TL-Electro that have a needle as well. Just adjust until it's in the middle.

Dudeabides
Jul 26, 2009

Got your package Insanite. This'll keep me busy on projects for a bit!

Dudeabides
Jul 26, 2009

I developed my first push roll last night and as I'm going through the frames I like what it did for the HP5's contrast. One thing I'm getting on a few frames is a lighter spot or marks. I'm trying to figure out if I agitated too much, or didn't fix well or what it could be. Here's an example...

Anything I did to cause that "swoosh" in the sky?

Dudeabides
Jul 26, 2009

Yeah there's some other frames where a lower corner of the frame will be lighter. I was wondering if it could be flare.

E: here's another one...

I took this one twice (different aperture and shutter on the other) and the other one doesn't have anything.

Dudeabides fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Nov 20, 2019

Dudeabides
Jul 26, 2009

Wild EEPROM posted:

need some more info.

what camera?
what lens?
how are you developing?
what chemistry?
what agitation?
how long?
what development gear?
how far did you push?
does that show up on the negative itself?

Pentax ME Super
SMC Pentax M 50mm 1.7
Developed at home (not sure I'm reading this one right, I haven't had my coffee yet)
Ilfosol 3 9:1 solution
About 10 seconds every minute
I pushed the film 1 stop and pushed development one stop so the time was 13:30
It's showing up on my negatives

Dudeabides
Jul 26, 2009

Got my first roll of 120 Portra from the Lubitel I got from Sauer developed the other week. I had an asinine notion to try fool my 35mm film only scanner to try to do the strips of 120 but no luck. Looks like I'll be upgrading scanners for the holiday so I can shoot both formats and have them on the computer. From what I can tell though it turned out pretty decent from the thumbnail scans I was able to preview.

Dudeabides
Jul 26, 2009

ImplicitAssembler posted:

I had good luck with picking up a Epson 4990 from Ebay. It's not exactly fast, but it works!

I had done some digging and saw that someone had tricked their Epson Perfection V370 (the one I have) into scanning medium format, but when I tried to do it, the backlight only allowed a 35mm strip of it to scan and show in the preview so...go figure for that.

I'm looking at a V600 but I'll look at that too!

Dudeabides
Jul 26, 2009

TheLastManStanding posted:

Spend :10bux: on a film extractor, reload the film, shoot with the lens cap on until you get back to where you were, then take the lens cap off and start shooting again.

Auto-rewind on cameras use an infrared sensor to detect the end of the roll; dirt or an odd roll can throw them off and cause them to rewind prematurely.
Some cameras have a rewind button on the bottom; if you have one you may have bumped it.

If you don’t feel like spending the :10bux: on the extractor, you can even take a piece of old film or a leader from another roll and pull it out that way. Learned that one when I accidentally overwound my film to transport it for flying.

Dudeabides
Jul 26, 2009

Pondex posted:

Is there a rule of thumb for how to meter expired film?

I heard +1 stop/decade it's expired somewhere, just a a ballpark figure.

That's what's been advised here as well.

Dudeabides
Jul 26, 2009

Meaty Ore posted:

I'm getting film for an upcoming trip; I'll be getting my usual Portra 400 in both 35mm and 120; I'm also thinking about some Ektar and/or Ektachrome for some variety. How do the latter two films compare, given equivalent settings? I really don't have much experience with anything besides Portra 400.

Ektar IME tends to be more vibrant in bright outdoor settings. Both have their reasons for being, but the general thread consensus tends to lean Portra.

My brother sent my 10 rolls of Fujifilm C200 for my birthday in January. This'll be a good excuse to learn C-41 developing since they're not the highest quality roll out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dudeabides
Jul 26, 2009

Meaty Ore posted:

Thanks; the trip is to the Smithsonian Institute museums, so most of my pictures will probably be indoors. I may get a few rolls of Ektar in case I end up going to the National Zoo. Hopefully the primates will hold still enough to take pictures at 100 ISO-appropriate shutter speeds.

Unless they’re playing some team sport or racing cars you should manage to get some decent still shots with the right shutter speed.