Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cerious
Aug 18, 2010

:dukedog:
I use Dexter's Camera. They develop for $5 a roll for most formats, including B+W and E6. I just cut stuff up myself afterwards and scan at home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cerious
Aug 18, 2010

I just apply an instagram filter to achieve the look I want

cerious
Aug 18, 2010

Scanning can be fussy sometimes but it's not super hard to push through a roll of 35mm through a Plustek while you're just browsing on the computer. The quality is far better than most lab scans, it doesn't take too many rolls to outweigh lab scan costs, and most of all you won't have to worry about labs doing bad scans. I used to have lab scans badly underexpose/overexpose things that I would later re-scan and get much closer to what I actually shot. The color balance would also be way off too since they just blanket apply something to the whole roll. It's still work to go from a lab scan to a decent picture so why not just cut out the middleman and get scans for yourself?

cerious
Aug 18, 2010

dupersaurus posted:

Do you guys have a favorite online film lab? My local labs are kinda annoying. I'm looking at The Darkroom or Indie Film lab, but it feels like a shot in the dark

I develop at Citizens Photo and scan at home. They have very fair prices for dev and I still haven't had a misprocessed roll in the 70+ rolls I've sent to them.

cerious
Aug 18, 2010

Everything's gone up but I feel 35mm went up disproportionately, it feels like every time I've gone to re-up on some Portra or Ektar it's $2-3 per roll extra every time. Fuji was always expensive for slide film but I've seen Velvia 50 going for like $35. I've been able to hunt for deals but I think this year I'm going to start shooting a lot more black and white on 35mm. At least it's nice that I've been trending towards shooting more black and white independent of all these price increases... now I just need to look into developing at home as well.

cerious
Aug 18, 2010

LimaBiker posted:

What's special about Velvia 100? It's standard E6 process right?

Nothing special about processing it, it's just E6, but it uses a banned chemical in the emulsion, see the Fuji notice for the ban on processing/sale. The ban went into enforcement in September 21. I had 5 rolls of it in 120 that year, which I was able to quickly shoot and process in July after a trip to Iceland.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cerious
Aug 18, 2010

epson v800 and silverfast 8200i, both with Silverfast