Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal
I'm getting back into film photography after being in digital for the last decade or so. In the past, I had taken my film to Costco and just had them scan it... but that's not a viable option anymore. What I'd like to do is:

1) Send my negs to the most inexpensive lab that I can (that will do push/pull processing upon request)
2) Scan the negs myself

To scan the negs, I'd like to use my DSLR (5D Mark III). My initial attempts at this will be done with my Pixel 3 as a backlight, or an iPad, with a 50mm 1.4 and a macro tube. This brings me to my two questions.

1) What is the best inexpensive online lab that will do push/pull processing and send my negs back to me in neat little 6 frame strips?
2) How in the hell do I properly color correct my digitized negatives?

Everything that I've read about converting film negatives to positives with this technique seems very time consuming. Is there a way to automate it, maybe with Silverfast? Or does Silverfast absolutely need a scanner? I'd like to avoid buying a scanner, as they are expensive, and I don't want to spend over an hour scanning 12 negatives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal

Blackhawk posted:

Negative lab pro plug in for lightroom seems to do a good job inverting colour neggies.
This looks absolutely perfect for my workflow. Thanks for the suggestion.

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

Toilet Rascal

VelociBacon posted:

How much better is this than just doing it in PS?
Just based on watching the video, it looks significantly faster. Instead of having to mess directly with curves and color channels, this seems to simplify and speed things up, especially with its ability to do batch processing.

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

Toilet Rascal
I like Cinestill. Is that allowed here? Please don't hurt my feelings.

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

Toilet Rascal
Those all look nice. In my experience, film is softer than what we're used to shooting digital. Just lean into that. And old 50mm f1.4 lenses are sharp, but they can't hold a candle to modern glass when it comes to sharpness. Your photos are good. What are you using to scan?

Edit: Oh, I just saw that you're scanning them at the lab at 6mp. That would explain part of your dissatisfaction at "high resolution" and with the color balance. Do you have a DSLR that you could use to "scan" the negatives? It's kind of a pain-in-the-butt process to get set up, but once you do, it's fast and the results are amazing.

Sneeze Party fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Apr 3, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

Toilet Rascal

NicelyNice posted:

Cheers, I may pick up a Plustek 8100 in the future - I kind of like the zen feeling of just getting scans back from the 1-hour photo and not worrying about editing photos, but it's a bit obnoxious to at the whim of whoever is manning the scanner that day (the hardware itself is apparently nice, a Fuji SP3000, which they let me see but not touch).

The Fuji SP3000 can do, I believe, roughly 20 megapixel scans. At least 14, but I think 20. Maybe even higher than that? You might be able to get the staff to look into that, if they know you and they're cool and they're not busy.