Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

As someone who's about to start developing BW film at home, this doesn't actually do me much that a cheaper sous video machine doesn't, right?

https://cinestillfilm.com/products/...cessing-at-home

Also, shooting film is way fun! Haven't done it since I was a tween. Picked up a couple of 70s Pentaxen and now I'm hooked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Any guesses what would cause this dark bar to appear on the right edge of the frame inconsistently? Doesn't seem to happen always, and it seems to occur across a variety of shutter speeds--anywhere from 1/60 to 1/1000.

This is with a Pentax MX, which I know has a horizontal shutter. I just got it CLAed, too. :emo:

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

It's from The Darkroom, actually. I'll see if I can find the negatives to compare--house is in disarray from renovation, right now.

A couple more:

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Yeah, it was Eric.

I'm not seeing evidence in the test roll I shot before I sent it out to get CLAed (I just figured it'd need it anyway, since it was an okay condition EBay purchase). Then again, I don't see it in all of the ~250 shots I've taken since I got it back.

Blurgh.

Insanite fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Oct 17, 2018

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Yeah, that's my next step. I took a quick look at the negatives for some photos where it was obvious and it's there--definitely not a scanning thing.

Thanks for the help!

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Absolutely.

(If you or anyone else has any favorite shops for camera repairs, I'm totally up for hearing about them. I'm on the cusp of looking for an LX, but I don't really know who I want to CLA it, now.)

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Yeah, it's on the negatives. Doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it--it's on almost every frame of some FP4 Plus 125 that I shot right after some Kodak Gold 200, which has almost zero. All at the same location. Shutter speeds should be roughly in the same area.

Shooting film is fun as hell, but I'd kill for a new, repairable, simple camera that didn't have to survive through decades of neglect to reach me.

Ironically, my Super Program, which I've had longer and is pretty dirt cheap on the used market, has been awesome. I'll be sad when it goes.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Sauer posted:

How much money you got? Nikon will make you a brand new F6 to order if you hand them a few grand.

There are lots of cameras out there that are legitimately "mint" aside from having decades old lubricant in them but you have to visit actual vintage gear dealers and pay way more than E-Bay prices for it. My F100 had only ever had a half dozen rolls of film put through it when I got (assuming the seller didn't bullshit me) and had spent a decade in a humidity controlled display case but I also paid about twice what they typically go for on E-Bay for it. Someone who professionally trades in old gear would actually know how to use and care for a camera instead of the usual "untested, sold as is".

Oh, I'm probably in the 'professionally trades in old gear' phase of this rather than ready to drop a few grand. I definitely enjoy this enough to want to hoard and preserve a few nice bodies. Who knows if anything nice, new, affordable, and simple is ever going to be made again?

In the meantime, Eric says he has an idea about what it might be. In the mail it goes, tomorrow.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Definitely might keep those in mind as Christmas presents to... myself.

Do you have one? How is it?

e: Thread history says yes. 😎

Insanite fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Oct 18, 2018

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

I have no idea what I'm doing.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Kentmere 100 BW, Superia X-tra 400 color.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

I haven't had issues with slower film in the past. Definitely just buy locally if you're concerned.

Here's another thing, complete with comparison photos: https://thedarkroom.com/bringing-film-airport-security-effects-x-rays-film/

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Sauer posted:

Send him an email with your scans and let him know. He'll fix it but you'll still end up eating a shipping cost. He might have a solution that doesn't involve sending it to him.

I got a Spotmatic back from him a few weeks and while he fixed the capping shutter and replaced the seals, he didn't clean out the viewfinder and mirror and either didn't replace the meter cell he charged me for or didn't re-calibrate the meter after replacing it. Given you have to take the prism apart to replace meter cells you'd think he'd have cleaned it while it was supposedly open. I never actually use the meter in my Spotmatics so I'm not going to spend the beaucoup loonies to send a brick of a camera back to him from Canada.

Figured I'd give an update on my shutter issues given that, WTH, it might help someone else.

Eric, who's a nigh-mythical figure in Pentax circles, does seem to have fixed my MX's shutter problem issues after giving it another go-around on his bench.

He did blame a "ding" in the camera as a possible source of the problem, though it was there the first time I sent it to him. I've babied the drat thing ever since I got it.

In summary: it's all good, but I'll probably try someone else next time I need a CLA.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Is this really threatening to the Fine Kodak Products we all know and love? Seems like the business to be sold is profitable. Why gently caress with that?

"The fact that it will be run by a government agency does not exactly instill confidence, now does it."

I for one relish the chance to use publicly owned emulsions.

Insanite fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Feb 5, 2019

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

I think I've read that Alaris does manufacture film products, but I trust content mill film blogs' reporting as far as I can throw it, which is either not at all or infinitely far depending on how you think about it.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Might just be my lovely monitor right now, but does it extend all the way into the UR corner?

Is it on the negative?

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Fujifilm announces worldwide price revision of Photographic Film and Photographic Paper

quote:

1. Products and percent increase
Photographic film :
Color Negative Film, Color Reversal Film, Quick Snap, Control Strips
The minimum increase is expected to 30%
Photographic paper :
All of Photographic paper
The minimum increase is a double-digit percentage.

2. Date of price increase
Effective from April 1st, 2019 onward

I'm generally a Kodak guy, so this isn't a big impact to me, yet.

Probably not the best sign, I suppose. Or maybe it's great. I don't know business. ::click::

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

It makes me wonder about how strong the film 'resurgence' really is, and whether we're all just living on a short span of borrowed time. I mean, I think everyone doing this realizes this on some level, but shorter than we'd like, maybe? ;)

I'm not sure if I'd go back to digital for hobby photography. It's not nearly as fun, and while I really love the look of film, I'm not about to fake it in Photoshop. I haven't touched my DSLR in a couple of years... I'd probably just find something else to do.

Insanite fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Feb 26, 2019

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

That's my assumption, too. Hard to find good data about it, though.

There are certain things about film that you can find for yourself in digital, either by spending enough money or through self-discipline, but some of it will be lost forever when the time comes. That part of it sucks just as much as it makes it special, I guess.

e: vvvv I also wonder how the easy availability of Kodak and Fuji films--especially cheap color negative stocks--contribute to demand for smaller BW manufacturers.

Insanite fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Feb 26, 2019

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

I never did end up trying new Ektachrome. I couldn't my hands on any.

As a business professional, I think that's either good or bad, or possibly somewhere in between.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

*Lite-Brite

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

That does seem a little blue to my eyes, yeah.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Any Boston-area folks want a couple of free Pentax SMC-A 50mms, one 2.0, the other 1.7? Aperture ring one on one is a bit sticky, and on the other it doesn't go any smaller than 8. Might be fun for rehab/learning.

Not sure if they're worth shipping, but I'd consider it if no one local pipes up.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Dudeabides posted:

Unfortunately I'm no longer in Boston, but I'd be willing to still take the 1.7 off your hands if no one has claimed it.

PM me an address and I'll send it there. No reason for me to keep it sitting in a drawer if someone wants to putter with it.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Megabound posted:

I'm a fan of Superia 400 if you don't want to spend Portra money.

+1. Half the price, good results.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Godspeed with them tricky lenses.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

All emulsions are beautiful.

Might want to try Fuji Pro 400H to compare to the Portra, but whether or not that's interesting depends on your personality.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Awkward Davies posted:

Is the implication here that people with autism cant have informed opinions about photography?

Also, he's right.

Agreed, unless your business is the sale of neon signs and neon sign accessories.

(All films are fun and good, but I really don't get people who get really deeply into Cinestill, either.)

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Changes in the world of Kodak film prices: https://kamerastore.com/breaking-news-kodak-to-raise-prices-on-all-film-in-2020-jan-1st/

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Absolutely. I'll love my rehabbed Super Program for as long as it holds out.

Assuming that the guts are functional, you should have a fully decent camera for cheap after a CLA. Don't be afraid to mail it out for service if the quote you get locally is high, too.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

My last electronic shutter Pentax CLA was $68 by Eric Hendrickson. I'd personally not want to deviate too far from that for something that's not special or mechanical, but it's entirely possible that film camera service costs have shot up just as film body prices have in the year since I had it done.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

I feel happy to have purchased a bunch of Kodak stuff before the price increases. :agesilaus:

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Bummer. Wonder how long they'll be producing other stocks, TBH.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

dupersaurus posted:

After doing a bunch of sx-70 shooting I’m getting ready to grab a Pentax ME on a whim, but before I pull the trigger: is it worthwhile to throw away a few more :10bux: for something like an MX? I don’t really have a sense for what makes a better film camera or what extra money gets you.

FWIW, I use an MX most of the time. It’s tiny and tough, and I dig the manual mechanicalness of it.

Do you have reasons that you personally are going back and forth between the two?

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Yeah, I'm glad I built up a film arsenal before prices really shot up. :\

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

majour333 posted:

Fuckin yikes buddy

:catstare: