Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Bruce Boxlicker posted:

cuz i'd rather extract my dank nugz and watch my own reef????????

That's pretty much the entire reason for getting into this hobby isn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruce Boxlicker
Jul 26, 2004

Fun Shoe
I can't say with a certainty but my cannabis consumption often seems to positively correlate with how much reef work I'm doing. hth

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
It is pretty funny how much overlap there is. If there was a bud smoker / reefer venn diagram it would look like a single circle.

Bruce Boxlicker
Jul 26, 2004

Fun Shoe
Motherfucker. I had bought a pair of Swallowtail Angel's and had them in QT for 2 weeks with copper and prazi. They had both been in the copper bath for a month straight at the LFS, a fact I observed with my own eyeballs. Threw them in the DT last week and sure as poo poo one of them cropped up with ich. I've never had a fish in my display with it. Everyone else is still super fat and happy and not catching it. I'm going to try some Dr. G's anti-parasite cavier and keep feeding rod's daily. Not much point in pulling her out at this point because it's going to probably push her over the edge and it's too late for my tank. Oh well, we'll see what happens. She seems to have a few less spots every day and the pair of cleaner shrimp have basically been riding her around like a surfboard. Hopefully the food and low stress can get her immune system back up and I can get back to having a mated pair of Genicanthus. :(

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Bruce Boxlicker posted:

Motherfucker. I had bought a pair of Swallowtail Angel's and had them in QT for 2 weeks with copper and prazi. They had both been in the copper bath for a month straight at the LFS, a fact I observed with my own eyeballs. Threw them in the DT last week and sure as poo poo one of them cropped up with ich. I've never had a fish in my display with it. Everyone else is still super fat and happy and not catching it. I'm going to try some Dr. G's anti-parasite cavier and keep feeding rod's daily. Not much point in pulling her out at this point because it's going to probably push her over the edge and it's too late for my tank. Oh well, we'll see what happens. She seems to have a few less spots every day and the pair of cleaner shrimp have basically been riding her around like a surfboard. Hopefully the food and low stress can get her immune system back up and I can get back to having a mated pair of Genicanthus. :(

Ahhh poo poo dude, that really sucks. Best of luck

Mudcrab Merchant
Dec 28, 2008

Please pay in exact change.
I missed all the eel talk! I currently own 4 big babies, and they certainly are a favorite whenever anyone visits! I had a golden dwarf for a few years in my coral tank, but she ended up with a horrible stomach abscess and even having a marine vet nearby.. nothing we could do.

Here's my eel tank my four jerks live in:

I uhh.. I should really take more pictures.

Bruce Boxlicker
Jul 26, 2004

Fun Shoe
Oo please do! That tank is kind of spooky. I want to see more.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Florida shark torture video has me in a bad mood. :mad:

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

Florida shark torture video has me in a bad mood. :mad:

More dumb rear end tourists taking selfies with dying sealife, or is it worse than that?

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Enos Cabell posted:

More dumb rear end tourists taking selfies with dying sealife, or is it worse than that?

Florida local towing a shark behind a boat at speed and laughing with his friends about it.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Florida local towing a shark behind a boat at speed and laughing with his friends about it.

Florida man strikes again. gently caress.

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
Ya'll watch Chasing Coral on Netflix? High rec if not.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

visuvius posted:

Ya'll watch Chasing Coral on Netflix? High rec if not.

Yeah, it was great but really hard to watch at times.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

I have about 15 new aiptasia in my substrate. :negative:

I don't see any viable alternative to pulling the substrate and starting from drat near scratch.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I have about 15 new aiptasia in my substrate. :negative:

I don't see any viable alternative to pulling the substrate and starting from drat near scratch.

Ughhh, that sucks. I am so paranoid watching my tank these last few weeks, I just know that I'm going to see an aiptasia pop up any day now.

Mudcrab Merchant
Dec 28, 2008

Please pay in exact change.
I have had excellent success in one of my tanks that got aiptasia with a file fish.. have you tried that before you gut the whole thing?

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Mudcrab Merchant posted:

I have had excellent success in one of my tanks that got aiptasia with a file fish.. have you tried that before you gut the whole thing?

Issue is my triggerfish. I suspect he will beat the piss out of a filefish. I could put him in my QT but it only a 10 gallon.

I already pulled the live rock a few months ago. Right now it is just aragonite and a few sections of PVC pipe for the fish to go in and out of.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
there's a nudibranch out there that purportedly subsists on aiptasia

http://saltyunderground.com/category/berghia-nudibranch

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
They do, but unless the conditions in the tank are absolutely perfect for them (not talking about water quality, because these fuckers can survive a tank crash apocalypse otherwise) you will not use them to their fullest potential and your aiptasia will return.

As semi-expensive biological controls, you need to juggle multiple conflicting factors in rearing them--they need to breed in a few generations in a refugium-style situation, this means you actually want to produce MORE aiptasia rather than simply eliminating them. "A few" aiptasia in your tank is not enough to sustain the berghia strategy.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

As luck would have it today was the last day of dollar per gallon sale at Petco. Picked up a 20g high. Trigger will go in the 10g, tang and wrasse in the 20. Cycling both QTs first.

Once fish are out of display tank I'm going to fill it with freshwater and run for a week or two.

All while this is going on I'm going to be ammonia cycling my rock in a trash can.

:psyduck:

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

As luck would have it today was the last day of dollar per gallon sale at Petco. Picked up a 20g high. Trigger will go in the 10g, tang and wrasse in the 20. Cycling both QTs first.

Once fish are out of display tank I'm going to fill it with freshwater and run for a week or two.

All while this is going on I'm going to be ammonia cycling my rock in a trash can.

:psyduck:

The process sucks, but the end result will totally be worth it.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Sold one of my inferno BTA's last week, finally down to just one.

Woke up yesterday to find that there was once again, two.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

I'm jealous. Some day I'll be able to keep btas, but right now my tank is just too small (not to mention too full).

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
Haven't posted in a bit. Here my work tank, 25 gallon IM Lagoon.

Bruce Boxlicker
Jul 26, 2004

Fun Shoe
Nice! Did you add a t5 bulb to a t5 fixture?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Nice looking tank!

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor

Bruce Boxlicker posted:

Nice! Did you add a t5 bulb to a t5 fixture?

Yeah its a 4 blub T5 fixture I got on Amazon for like $90 with 4 ATI bulbs. I added a 24" Reef Brite Tech strip to it though I'd like to upgrade that to an XHO.

Bruce Boxlicker
Jul 26, 2004

Fun Shoe
Ah, right on. I tried the 50/50 Tech strip a while back and didn't like it much. The XHO on the other hand is much brighter. My primary lights are ReefBreeder LED's that I've done what you did but mine has an added 1xATI Coral Pro.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Bruce Boxlicker posted:

Ah, right on. I tried the 50/50 Tech strip a while back and didn't like it much. The XHO on the other hand is much brighter. My primary lights are ReefBreeder LED's that I've done what you did but mine has an added 1xATI Coral Pro.

I've been super happy with my ReefBreeder 32". I popped the lenses off for the move from 40 to 120g, and it's got great coverage and so far everything has stayed super happy. I've thought about supplementing with something, but I should probably leave it be for a while.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Double post, but I'm pretty stoked about these acans I just ordered.

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
Very nice. How much cash money?

CA Reefapalooza coming up in a couple weeks, pretty excited about that.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

$125 for the top one and $75 for the other :shepspends:

The guy is doing a big sale on FB this weekend, so I'll be adding to the order, but I had to get those two locked down first before someone else snagged them.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:
I love acans but the always slowly die in my tank and until I get serious about water chemistry again I won't put any in.

Watched some of the highlights of MACNA videos on YouTube and there is some sexy tech coming!

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
If these new alk/cal/mag testing units turn out to be legit that will be a pretty big game changer. All of the iterations I've seen just seem so drat complicated at this point and like they would require a lot of calibration, adjustment and monitoring. Hope the Neptune unit is decent. $20 a month for automated daily testing seems like a steal.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:
Yeah but here in the U.K. We will wait 2 years, pay £3000 and probably pay £50 a month because lol tax.

They certainly seem and decent idea though.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Got some new frags in today, pretty excited about a few of these acans.

Also caught my dwarf golden moray hopping across rocks. Don't see him fully out very often.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGEdmwI_afo

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
Anyone in So Cal go to Reefapalooza? I got a ton of poo poo. Will post pics once it settles down.

Saw the new Neptune Trident Alk/Calcium testing device. This thing is going to be loving awesome if it works they way they claim it does. $600 in Q2 2018 they're saying.

Also, anyone use AcroPower?

Dushkani
Jun 25, 2012

Rarr.
I come to ask all of you experts for some help. I teach at a high school, and last year I was moved into a new classroom with an enormous saltwater fish tank. The tank had not been well cared for for a few years (teacher that did not take care it, then a teacher that did, then a teacher that didn't, then me), so it was in need of some help when I moved in. The pictures below are the ones taken after I got ahold of the tank and got it cleaned up with the help of a student aide.

I don't have any pictures of it from last year, but it was awful. Most days you couldn't even see through the glass because of the algae buildup.

One of the pictures was taken from the outside of my room, so everyone can see it when they walk by. I'd really like to get this tank all prettied up again, since I'm told it was once beautiful. Where should I start? I know the gravel needs a vacuum pretty badly; I'm getting a new, nice vacuum soon, so that's first on the agenda.

I had the water tested last week, and they said the nitrates were a little high, but not dangerously so. In theory, getting the stuff cleaned off the bottom will help that.

Current tank inhabitants:
Blue tang (original tank inhabitant)
2 Clownfish (original tank inhabitant)
Pseudochromis aldabraensis (neon dottyback) (new tank inhabitant)
Yellowtail blue damsel (new tank inhabitant)

Also this little fellow, who I think was a stowaway on a living rock that I got a few weeks ago.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Honestly from the pics it doesn't look in too bad of shape. I wouldn't touch the sand personally, good risk of nuking the tank. Look into picking up a clean up crew of snails and hermit crabs, they will do a good job of stirring things up and helping keep it clean.

What size of tank is it? Looks like maybe a 90g from the pics?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
Yeah I'd toss a big clean up crew at that. Like 30+ hermits, a variety of snails and 3 conches.

What does the filtration look like? Skimmer?

• Locked thread