Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Satch
Mar 2, 2007

Hecho en Mexico
I know there was a similar thread to this a while back, but didn't see it anywhere. So, welcome to the new General Movie Question Thread. Ask questions that are bugging you, but not worthy of their own thread.

The other day I was out with some friends, and we were talking about movies, and a question occured to me that none of them could answer.

What was the first movie to be remade?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

A quick search through wikipedia lead me to this Marked Men (1919) There may be earlier remakes though.

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

Yeah, this is just right. Has a nice feel, too.
What was the first samurai movie that popularized or featured the stereotypical duel in which two samurai run past each other and seemingly miss each other as they strike, then they stand still and one falls over?

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Jack Does Jihad posted:

What was the first samurai movie that popularized or featured the stereotypical duel in which two samurai run past each other and seemingly miss each other as they strike, then they stand still and one falls over?

Probably The Seven Samurai

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

Armyman25 posted:

Probably The Seven Samurai

There's no scene like that in Seven Samurai.

Biff Rockgroin
Jun 17, 2005

Go to commercial!

This one is kind of a weird one.

What is the biggest/most popular movie not yet released on DVD?

I started wondering when I was remembering how long it took for Star Wars and Indiana Jones to get on DVD.

It's kind of a subjective question though.

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

A quick search through wikipedia lead me to this Marked Men (1919) There may be earlier remakes though.

It might not qualify as a remake per se, but the first two adaptations of Frankenstein were made in 1910 and 1915.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Jack Does Jihad posted:

There's no scene like that in Seven Samurai.

When the sword master samurai, Kyuzo, is introduced, the duel he has is almost exactly like that. Also, the slow motion of the death of the thief that Kambei kills when he's introduced is also similiar.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Jack Does Jihad posted:

I always thought the first time it was done was in Samurai III: Duel at Ganryu Island.

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

Slvbarek posted:

I always thought the first time it was done was in Samurai III: Duel at Ganryu Island.

I hope it's not. I tried watching Samurai I and it just didn't grab me for some reason.

Armyman25 posted:

When the sword master samurai, Kyuzo, is introduced, the duel he has is almost exactly like that. Also, the slow motion of the death of the thief that Kambei kills when he's introduced is also similiar.

I don't remember Kyuzo's battle being what I'm describing, I don't think they ran past each other. I think Kyuzo just cuts the guy down when he comes near and the guy freezes then dies, but I may be remembering it wrong. It probably comes close and was most likely a precursor to what I'm describing.

What I'm thinking of is two samurai who run past each other, striking as they pass one another, but you don't know who hit who. With their backs to each other there's this tense buildup where they're both still, then one falls over because he was masterfully hit by the other's sword when they passed.

It's totally stereotypically and is referenced in a ton of things, but I can't find an example. It bothers me because I've seen all these older samurai movies (except for the Mifune Samurai Trilogy) and not once have I seen what I'm describing.

Jack Does Jihad fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Jun 10, 2008

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
This is what I was thinking of: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhbCEi_Aac4 The actual part you're talking about is at around minute 4 if you're particularly impatient.

They're not exactly running at each other, but there's still that ambiguity of who wounded who.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

I'm going to watch Flags of Our Fathers and Letters from Iwo Jima soon, and I'm wondering if it matters which order I watch them in. My wife wants to see FOOF but not LFIJ, so I'd rather just watch LFIJ while waiting for her to have time for FOOF. Are there any specific characters or situations that "cross over" from FOOF that would affect how I perceive LFIJ?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Biff Rockgroin posted:

This one is kind of a weird one.

I started wondering when I was remembering how long it took for Star Wars and Indiana Jones to get on DVD.

It's kind of a subjective question though.

Well, just in terms of the amount it gets bandied about, Song of the South has to be pretty high on that list.

Hearts of Darkness has never been released on DVD, has it?

FitFortDanga posted:

I'm going to watch Flags of Our Fathers and Letters from Iwo Jima soon, and I'm wondering if it matters which order I watch them in. My wife wants to see FOOF but not LFIJ, so I'd rather just watch LFIJ while waiting for her to have time for FOOF. Are there any specific characters or situations that "cross over" from FOOF that would affect how I perceive LFIJ?

Not that I recall. For what it's worth, Letters from Iowa Jima is ten times the movie that Flags of Our Fathers is.

Timby fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jun 14, 2008

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Many very early films were remade a few times because they damaged the camera negative after making too many prints, rendering it unusable. Rescued by Rover (1905, Cecil Hepworth) was re-filmed twice within a year. Otherwise, the The Great Train Robbery (1903, Edwin S. Porter for Edison) was illegally remade the following year by the Lubin Company in New Jersey.

Biff Rockgroin posted:

Probably The African Queen. It's the only AFI 100 movie to not have an American DVD release. It's out in Region 2, though.

The highest grossing silent film, The Big Parade (1925) isn't on DVD yet, but it's in the works.

Timby posted:

It came out last year.

r-lam
Jul 12, 2005

JAROME, EETZ ME!

FitFortDanga posted:

Really don't even bother watching Flags of Our Fathers. They're completely independent movies, and frankly Flags is a too long and not particularly interesting

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Timby posted:

Well, just in terms of the amount it gets bandied about, Song of the South has to be pretty high on that list.

Hearts of Darkness was released last year. The only reason people want Song of the South released is a perception of censorship, it's a pretty terrible movie.

FitFortDanga posted:

The connections are just little things, about on the level of the connections between the three films in Kieslowski's three colours trilogy, except as Timby said Letters is a much stronger film.

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005
One question... where can one find the films of Len Lye on DVD? I know Cultoons Vol. 3 has his creepy "Peanut Vendor" stop-motion short, but none of his other works seem to be available like his hand-painted shorts. Kind of annoying considering Norman McLaren's complete works are out in one DVD set and Stan Brakhage is represented with a "greatest hits" DVD from Criterion.

Domukaz
Jul 30, 2007

by Ozma
Stupid I-just-ought-to-google-it question: what is mise-en-scène and why is it important?

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005

Domukaz posted:

Stupid I-just-ought-to-google-it question: what is mise-en-scène and why is it important?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mise_en_scene

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Jack Does Jihad posted:

I hope it's not. I tried watching Samurai I and it just didn't grab me for some reason.

I don't remember Kyuzo's battle being what I'm describing, I don't think they ran past each other. I think Kyuzo just cuts the guy down when he comes near and the guy freezes then dies, but I may be remembering it wrong. It probably comes close and was most likely a precursor to what I'm describing.

What I'm thinking of is two samurai who run past each other, striking as they pass one another, but you don't know who hit who. With their backs to each other there's this tense buildup where they're both still, then one falls over because he was masterfully hit by the other's sword when they passed.

It's totally stereotypically and is referenced in a ton of things, but I can't find an example. It bothers me because I've seen all these older samurai movies (except for the Mifune Samurai Trilogy) and not once have I seen what I'm describing.

Maybe it's not from a movie, but from the manga 'Lone Wolf and Cub', which originally came out in 1970, sold millions of copies, and has influenced artists, film makers, producers and directors across the world. Almost every samurai and ninja cliche you can imagine appears in this epic story -- obviously before they were cliches. Including many fights like the one you mention

Then again I guess if there's a movie older than 1970 where this sort of fight occurs, it invalidates this theory

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Domukaz posted:

Quick answer: Camera angle, actor position/placement, colour, light/dark tones and texture relay to the viewer either additional information about the scene or emphasize what is going on in the scene.

Satch
Mar 2, 2007

Hecho en Mexico
For example of mis-en-scene:

In this shot in Citizen Kane, Kane is closer to the camera than Leland, and being shot from a low angle, making Kane a larger presence as well. You can also note the light color of Kane's shirt as opposed to the dark color of Leland's jacket, etc.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Oh come on we can do better than a link to wiki.

Satch posted:

For example of mis-en-scene:

To me, the term has two uses:
1. to describe the set up of a scene, and
b. to indicate that the scene was intentionally set up in a certain way for a specific effect.

There's another thread about Brazil and "how he does it". Gilliam is an obsessive genius at setting up scenes and filling the screen with items and details to manipulate and control the viewer's emotional and intellectual response.
This attention to detail is probably also why Gilliam makes the producers and investors so angry, hehe.

Kubrick's got so many examples. The setting, the arrangement, the lighting, the maps on the wall with blinking lights, the postures of the men.

Hope I'm not breaking tables

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
With Aguirre, the Wrath of God which is the original audio? German or English?

Does it really matter which one I choose?

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Sporadic posted:

I think it's like some of the Italian Spaghetti Westerns where the language is all dubbed from an internation cast. However, even though they were shot speaking English, the German dub is the intention.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

FitFortDanga posted:

The most is a marine who sets off a flamethrower into a bunker.
Letters is a far better film in terms of..well everything really, pacing, characters and so forth.

Flags was a bit too hammy on the whole "Heroes are not what they're cracked up to be" and was really stretching this to an absurd point. Plus the narrative was too scattered to hold much interest.

Soupage
Aug 22, 2004
When was the first The Thing made? I heard once that John Carpenters The Thing was a remake.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
The story that The Thing comes from was originally a pre-war short story, "Who goes there". That was adapted to a somewhat traditional 50s monster movie in 1951 as "The Thing from Another World".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Who_Goes_There
http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0044121/

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Ape Agitator posted:

The story that The Thing comes from was originally a pre-war short story, "Who goes there". That was adapted to a somewhat traditional 50s monster movie in 1951 as "The Thing from Another World".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Who_Goes_There
http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0044121/

Its funny, I knew that The Thing and The Thing from Another World were almost nothing alike but I never realized just how close The Thing was to the original novella Who Goes There.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

What was the first movie to have the line, "It's quiet... a little too quiet"?

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Sporadic posted:

This is funny because I asked this same question in a previous "questions too short for their own thread".

Anyway, the audio is looped, so the "original" audio doesn't really matter because neither version is the actual original audio anyway. Pick what you will.

Having seen it now with both audio tracks, I personally prefer the german version with subs simply because Kinski sounds better to me in German than English (which is what was originally suggested to me too).

Herr R.
Apr 26, 2008

InfiniteZero posted:

Having seen it now with both audio tracks, I personally prefer the german version with subs simply because Kinski sounds better to me in German than English (which is what was originally suggested to me too).

I think in the German version Kinski's character is dubbed by someone else.

Rorschach
Jul 9, 2007

He is hitting some excellent guitar notes right now. Aww yeah Teodor that third guitar note you played just now was perfect dogg. Maybe play it again a little later alright.
Is the cut of Robocop on the Steelbook edition the same as on the Criterion DVD?

This is edition I'm referring to: http://www.amazon.com/Robocop-Anniversary-Collectors-Peter-Weller/dp/B000QQH4YS/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1214011359&sr=8-1

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

Rorschach posted:

Is the cut of Robocop on the Steelbook edition the same as on the Criterion DVD?

This is edition I'm referring to: http://www.amazon.com/Robocop-Anniversary-Collectors-Peter-Weller/dp/B000QQH4YS/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1214011359&sr=8-1

It's got both the theatrical cut and the cut from the Criterion DVD on it.

itrorev
Sep 22, 2006
For you older goons, I've always been interested about peoples thoughts regarding the original Star Wars (A New Hope) when it was being shown in theaters, back in 77.

How long did it take to become a huge phenomenon after its initial release? Was there alot of hype and advertising for it, or did it just kinda pop up outta nowhere? Was it the most awesome thing you ever saw or did you think it was a bit overrated?

Canadian Surf Club
Feb 15, 2008

Word.
What are the major differences between Blade Runner: Final Cut and the older versions? I have the Director's Cut on DVD, and have been considering picking up the Final Cut, but not sure if it's needed.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

nitty gritty titty posted:

What are the major differences between Blade Runner: Final Cut and the older versions? I have the Director's Cut on DVD, and have been considering picking up the Final Cut, but not sure if it's needed.

Get it. Get it. Getitgetitgetit.

There are a number of reasons I say this (getit). It has a remarkable transfer (getit). If you pick up the BluRay version, you get all the other versions (getit). If not, the four disc that includes the old Director's Cut is only $23 on Amazon right now (get it). And the supplements for all the versions are substantial and worthwhile (getit).

For a breakdown in terms of scenes (might be more than you want to know if you want to see it), Wikipedia has it detailed. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blade_Runner_(versions)#Differences
Here are some screens of the differences as well. http://www.schnittberichte.com/schnittbericht.php?ID=4589

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

nitty gritty titty posted:

There's only about 2 minutes of changed footage but you should get it anyway because it's a beautiful transfer and looks and sounds amazing. Plus they use CGI properly to fix minor issues that needed touching up (not George Lucas CGI where they toss tons of random poo poo where it's not needed).

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Oddly enough the first time I've heard that they're making a Time Traveler's Wife movie was in a gaming magazine that said it was supposed to come out in early June. Obviously that didn't happen and when I looked up the release date its marked for Christmas. Is there any reason for this delay or did the studios just think it will fare better as a holiday movie?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I just saw Chinatown for the first time.

Is The Two Jakes worth seeing, or was it just Nicholson needing money to buy another mansion?