Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?
I want to say I saw a movie as a kid that involved a teenager that was becoming a demon / it was a family trait that came up during puberty / etc? Eventually there were horns poking out of his head, and I recall an idiotic 80's romp to "cure" him? Possibly he was sworn to join the demons, or... er... eh? Anyone happen to remember this, and the title?

(this is of the same category as "Little Monsters" - movies you saw as a kid that were so bizarre you begin to wonder if you just made it up)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Shalinor posted:

(this is of the same category as "Little Monsters" - movies you saw as a kid that were so bizarre you begin to wonder if you just made it up)

Little Monsters gave me nightmares for months when I was little.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I guess I can ask this here, but is the 3 disc edition of Brazil worth the extra 30 bucks or is the standard criterion good enough? I do enjoy extras and commentaries but are they worth the additional cost?

That depends on how much you want to know about Brazil, of course. The "Love Conquers All" version is something to watch once (with commentary) and never touch again. "The Battle for Brazil" is very interesting. However, the single-disc version has a Gilliam commentary that'll tell you pretty much everything you'd want to know.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

Shalinor posted:

I want to say I saw a movie as a kid that involved a teenager that was becoming a demon / it was a family trait that came up during puberty / etc? Eventually there were horns poking out of his head, and I recall an idiotic 80's romp to "cure" him? Possibly he was sworn to join the demons, or... er... eh? Anyone happen to remember this, and the title?

This happened to me too. I remember this movie where this boy is in a museum, and there are these creepy statues, and he gets turned into a monster or something, and at some point they play the song monster mash.

I was completely sure I made it up, and I was describing it to one of my friends one day, and he looked at me wide eyed and said "I OWN THAT MOVIE!"

That was six years ago. We never watched it :(
Still don't know what bloody movie that was.

Manx Shearwater
Mar 25, 2006

can't take my eyes off of you

Shalinor posted:

That's "My Demon Lover," starring Nick Moore from Family Ties

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093589/

Edit: Hey, I found this old web article about it, with some screens. I guess you can take a look to see if that's really what it is, but it's hard for me to imagine more than one movie about kids turning into demons. http://www.x-entertainment.com/articles/0836/

Manx Shearwater fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jul 7, 2008

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Manx Shearwater posted:

That's "My Demon Lover," starring Nick Moore from Family Ties

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093589/

Edit: Hey, I found this old web article about it, with some screens. I guess you can take a look to see if that's really what it is, but it's hard for me to imagine more than one movie about kids turning into demons. http://www.x-entertainment.com/articles/0836/
Interestingly enough, no, this is one about a much younger kid.

The gist of it was that the kid thought his family was completely normal, hits somewhere around puberty (12-ish I assume? We're talking roughly the age of the Little Monsters kid), and then he starts growing horns and - on my! - his family has a history of this. Or he was fated to become a demon, because his parents made a pact. Or something.

At this point, the movie gets bizarre, with actual demons walking around the house and... some kind of portal? Either the house ends up in the demon realm, or they find a door, or some other odd melding allows the kid to wander around some demon-ish realm at some point.

Mind that the demon realm isn't horror movie, we're talking... well, a lot like Little Monsters actually. That same kind of "this would be scary if the lighting weren't in pastels / bright colors" kind of demon.

Then cue 80's plot that I'm certain involved an upbeat musical number, and the kid is cured, and... something. I know they went the route of trying to cure the kid, but past that, I can't recall how it ended.

EDIT: and to the above guy that mentions the thing about statues and monsters, I can't say I remember exactly that, but... I'm almost tempted to say we're talking about the same movie. I want to say the one I'm thinking of had the typical upbeat musical number, that it was "Monster Mash," and that this was possibly the point where demons and such were wandering around the kid's house in cooky music-video-friendly fashion.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jul 7, 2008

Manx Shearwater
Mar 25, 2006

can't take my eyes off of you

Shalinor posted:

[etc.]

Well, now I'm curious. Hope someone can find out what this thing is.

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005

FitFortDanga posted:

That depends on how much you want to know about Brazil, of course. The "Love Conquers All" version is something to watch once (with commentary) and never touch again. "The Battle for Brazil" is very interesting. However, the single-disc version has a Gilliam commentary that'll tell you pretty much everything you'd want to know.

I made it through the first 15 minutes, then just skipped around to check out individual scenes and the ending. Pure crap. It's amazing how editing can completely destroy the film. Even the photography is ruined thanks to the crappy print they used.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

FitFortDanga posted:

Alright, thanks a bunch.

Dr. Coffee
Apr 2, 2007

Well poo poo, I've been waiting for one of these threads to pop back up for a while. I was actually playing with the idea of making my own tonight. I'll post in this one instead. :)

In A Scanner Darkly, did Agent Hank know Agent Fred was Bob the whole time or was it something they narrowed down from Bares ratting him out and Frek being put into New Path. And if the latter is correct, how could they rule out Ernie?

Also, after repeated viewings I still don't understand what happens with the blond D head changing into Bob's girlfriend and back on the recorded tape.

And an unrelated question, on almost every DVD I have ever watched there is a noticeable pause about half way through the film. It only appears for a fraction of a second but it is still kind of apparent. Any one know what I'm talking about?

Dr. Coffee fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jul 8, 2008

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Dr. Coffee posted:

In A Scanner Darkly, did Agent Hank know Agent Fred was Bob the whole time or was it something they narrowed down from Bares ratting him out and Frek being put into a mental institution. And if the latter is correct, how could they rule out Ernie?

Also, after repeated viewings I still don't understand what happens with the blond D head changing into Bob's girlfriend and back on the recorded tape.

Yes, they knew that Fred was Bob the entire time. They purposefully set him up to get hooked on Substance D because they knew that the only way to get someone into New Path without them being suspicious was for the person to be an actual complete wreck. They couldn't have someone who knew they were supposed to be infiltrating it because they might eventually give themselves away. Their hope was that he would eventually see something that would prove that New Path was behind the Substance D epidemic (which they suspected because it was the only place police "Scanners" weren't allowed to look) and his cop instincts would kick in and he could tell someone on the outside eventually.

I never got the random girl changing into Donna thing though.

Dr. Coffee
Apr 2, 2007

muscles like this? posted:

Yes, they knew that Fred was Bob the entire time. They purposefully set him up to get hooked on Substance D because they knew that the only way to get someone into New Path without them being suspicious was for the person to be an actual complete wreck. They couldn't have someone who knew they were supposed to be infiltrating it because they might eventually give themselves away. Their hope was that he would eventually see something that would prove that New Path was behind the Substance D epidemic (which they suspected because it was the only place police "Scanners" weren't allowed to look) and his cop instincts would kick in and he could tell someone on the outside eventually.

I never got the random girl changing into Donna thing though.

Right I got that, hence Bob giving the little speech at the end about how the blue flower will be a present for his friends at Thanksgiving. Maybe I was more confused than I was because I somehow missed Donna getting out of Hank's scramble suit the first three times I watched it, I always mistook that for Donna getting out of Bob's suit which wouldn't make a lick of sense. When it finally clicked with me I was like, "Holy poo poo! I'm challenged!" I guess those suit's really do work! :v:

Great movie, though. Thanks for the help. :)

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga

Dr. Coffee posted:

And an unrelated question, on almost every DVD I have ever watched there is a noticeable pause about half way through the film. It only appears for a fraction of a second but it is still kind of apparent. Any one know what I'm talking about?

Most dvds record two layers, one on top of the other, in order to increase the quality. The pause is the laser recalibrating to read through to the second layer. Somehow, manufacturers haven't figured out to hide layer changes between scenes or in other places where they wouldn't be noticed.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Okay, I know Jane Mansfield is the Mother of the woman from Law an order SVU, but why does she have a crazy Slavic name I have no idea how to pronounce nor spell?

Also, was she one of the children that were in the car when Mansfield and her husband died?

I just watched this documentary on Anton LeVey and Hollywood and it only touched on this subject, but i was fascinated by it.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

twistedmentat posted:

Okay, I know Jane Mansfield is the Mother of the woman from Law an order SVU, but why does she have a crazy Slavic name I have no idea how to pronounce nor spell?

Also, was she one of the children that were in the car when Mansfield and her husband died?

I just watched this documentary on Anton LeVey and Hollywood and it only touched on this subject, but i was fascinated by it.

IMDB has the answer. Her name comes from her father, as you'd expect. And apparently she was in the car as were two of her brothers. Also, apparently only Jayne Mansfield died.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

IMDB has the answer. Her name comes from her father, as you'd expect. And apparently she was in the car as were two of her brothers. Also, apparently only Jayne Mansfield died.

Thanks for this. I've always been more fascinated by old Hollywood sleeze and crazyshit than old movies.

Another quesion; what was the first movie to be adapted from something other than existing Book or Play?

Aulara
Jul 9, 2008

I use emotion for the many and reserve reason for the few.

Dr. Video Games 0069 posted:

Most dvds record two layers, one on top of the other, in order to increase the quality. The pause is the laser recalibrating to read through to the second layer. Somehow, manufacturers haven't figured out to hide layer changes between scenes or in other places where they wouldn't be noticed.

It also has this information on the back of almost every dvd case ;)

My question is fairly recent - Saw 4 to be exact. What on earth happened to the FBI Agent - the male one (I cant remember his name, only that he was played by Scott Patterson aka Luke! from the Gilmore Girls :p)?

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

I just watched Dead Ringers and good God I am confused at why what just happened happened. I've always found Cronenberg and Lynch to be the two toughest film makers to digest but I'm more confused with Dead Ringers than I was with The Brood or hell even Eraserhead.

I don't even know where to start. I watched the movie but the entire time was basically me going :psyduck:

Green Vulture
Jun 9, 2007
Just a neighborly reminder that you're a goddamned retard.

twistedmentat posted:

Another quesion; what was the first movie to be adapted from something other than existing Book or Play?
I'm sure there's an earlier example, but the oldest movie I know off the top of my head would be Bergman's The Virgin Spring, which came out in 1960 and was based on an ancient Swedish song.

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005
Plenty of the earliest of early films are based on newspaper articles or true-life stories.

Hames
May 7, 2007

Aulara posted:

It also has this information on the back of almost every dvd case ;)

My question is fairly recent - Saw 4 to be exact. What on earth happened to the FBI Agent - the male one (I cant remember his name, only that he was played by Scott Patterson aka Luke! from the Gilmore Girls :p)?

If it's the guy I think it is, (The one who shoots Jeff, right?) Hoffman locked him in the room with Jigsaw's and Jeff's bodies, and in Saw 5, due this October, you'll find out what happened to him between that moment, and Jigsaw's body being collected for the autopsy at the beginning of Saw 4 (due to the time-switching thing they did).

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Og Oggilby posted:

Plenty of the earliest of early films are based on newspaper articles or true-life stories.

I probably should of added "fictional source".

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
There was a movie my uncle was watching when I was 5 or 6 years old. It was something about a killer baby. I only remember two scenes. One is of someone picking up the baby and it biting them in the neck. The other is a big fire in the baby's house, I think the baby died in it. Any ideas what movie it was?

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Cbouncerrun posted:

There was a movie my uncle was watching when I was 5 or 6 years old. It was something about a killer baby. I only remember two scenes. One is of someone picking up the baby and it biting them in the neck. The other is a big fire in the baby's house, I think the baby died in it. Any ideas what movie it was?

You're probably thinking of I Don't Want To Be Born.

(also, this is more of an "Identify A Movie For Me" sort of post)

Big Jim Nordberg
Sep 8, 2007
Manchester La La La
Dont know if this is the right thread for "tell me the name of this movie" but here goes.

It was probably an 80's movie and im sure the guy was an alien but he looked human anyway whenever he did his alien thing (im sorry i dont remember what that even was, running or getting angry i dont know) the camera would show what he was seeing first in yellow then if he carried on doing it it would go blue then red and i think red meant he was close to dying or exploding? really scary to me as a kid.

The name Starman rings a bell but i know theres a film named that and it aint that.

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

Yeah, this is just right. Has a nice feel, too.
The standard noir cliche is a hard boiled guy doing something with bluesy saxophone music in the background. But most noir films have a standard orchestral score - so where did this cliche come from? The only thing I can think of Elevator to the Gallows, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't the first to do this.

Big Jim Nordberg posted:

Dont know if this is the right thread for "tell me the name of this movie" but here goes.

It was probably an 80's movie and im sure the guy was an alien but he looked human anyway whenever he did his alien thing (im sorry i dont remember what that even was, running or getting angry i dont know) the camera would show what he was seeing first in yellow then if he carried on doing it it would go blue then red and i think red meant he was close to dying or exploding? really scary to me as a kid.

The name Starman rings a bell but i know theres a film named that and it aint that.

This is the right thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2177344&pagenumber=50#lastpost

Jack Does Jihad fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jul 13, 2008

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

twistedmentat posted:

What else could a movie be adapted from?

Og Oggilby posted:

twistedmentat posted:

I probably should have added "fictional source".
Added - to be included or excluded?
What exactly are you asking here? In order for there to be an adaptation, there has to be a source.
Would a movie adapted from folklore or a song be okay for you?
Der Golem, wie er in die Welt kam from 1920 was based on an old myth in Jewish folklore.
But you can't really attribute the source material to one person or story or "fictional source", so is it an adaptation :iiam:

Mutiny on the Bounty was adapted from Wake of the Bounty. Is that permissible within your specified parameters?
1943's Madame Curie is about the life of her and her husband. The screenplay was adapted from a biography by Marie Curie's daughter. There are almost certainly earlier movie adaptations based on biographies.
Are these allowed within the constraints of your question?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I guess i should of said "adapted from a comic book, or tv or radio show".
I was purely interested in when did hollywood start looking at "new" media as a source, rathern than simply filming novels, folktales and myths.

I guess you could consider Birth of a Nation one of the first, as it was based on the newly established myths of the resurgent Klan.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

twistedmentat posted:

I guess you could consider Birth of a Nation one of the first, as it was based on the newly established myths of the resurgent Klan.
...and Dixon's novel and play The Clansman.

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005

twistedmentat posted:

I guess i should of said "adapted from a comic book, or tv or radio show".
I was purely interested in when did hollywood start looking at "new" media as a source, rathern than simply filming novels, folktales and myths.

Actually, the KKK as we know it today began after this film. Those who were in the reconstruction-era KKK actually tried to sue the new KKK because of this.

It was one of the first major features based on a popular novel, I guess. Shakespeare had been used countless times before, not to mention others. Rip Van Winkle was adapted in 1896. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pelZ43T6Y3E

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Og Oggilby posted:

Actually, the KKK as we know it today began after this film. Those who were in the reconstruction-era KKK actually tried to sue the new KKK because of this.

Thats right, William Simmons pretty much got the idea of the KKK inc from Birth of a nation.

Okay, maybe this will be better worded. I watched Videodrome tonight, and i'm sure James Woods tv station is pretty much CityTV, right down to actually using the CityTV building on queen and john.

HalPhilipWalker
Feb 14, 2008
Does Christmas smell like oranges to you?

Dr. Coffee posted:

In A Scanner Darkly, Also, after repeated viewings I still don't understand what happens with the blond D head changing into Bob's girlfriend and back on the recorded tape.

I haven't seen this movie in a few months, but I believe the blonde woman was his ex-wife. You also see this same blonde woman in flashbacks of what his life was like before Substance D.

The scene shortly before the one above had Donna sleeping next to Bob. Bob roles over and sees the blond woman (his ex-wife) where Donna's supposed to be. Donna then reappears. The reason he watches this video over and over again is that this is an exact reproduction of what he thought was just a drug-induced hallucination.

I think it's just a way to show that Bob's hallucinations are getting out of control.

Also, someone asked about the reason why long-rear end credits went to the end, instead of the beginning like in older movies. I'm not sure when it started, but I assume sometime around when the whole New Hollywood movement blew up.

The reason the credits moved to the end was because they were becoming too drat long, and it's faster to get to the movie without a long, drawn-out credit sequence that most people don't give a poo poo about anyway.

Union rules dictate how the credits appear, and in what order. But I think film crews started getting longer during the '80s actually, especially after Speilberg and Lucas became successful. The business became more producer-oriented again, special effects became more special (and expensive), and bigger budgets mean it's easier to hype. Also, bigger budgets are easier to play "magic accountant" with to make smaller.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

HalPhilipWalker posted:

I haven't seen this movie in a few months, but I believe the blonde woman was his ex-wife. You also see this same blonde woman in flashbacks of what his life was like before Substance D.

The scene shortly before the one above had Donna sleeping next to Bob. Bob roles over and sees the blond woman (his ex-wife) where Donna's supposed to be. Donna then reappears. The reason he watches this video over and over again is that this is an exact reproduction of what he thought was just a drug-induced hallucination.

I think it's just a way to show that Bob's hallucinations are getting out of control.

What? I've seen the movie multiple times and have read the book and nowhere do they say that the blonde chick is supposed to be Bob's ex-wife. In fact the end of the movie pretty much states that he never was married in the first place. It was all just a fabrication as part of his "Fred" persona.

HalPhilipWalker
Feb 14, 2008
Does Christmas smell like oranges to you?

muscles like this? posted:

What? I've seen the movie multiple times and have read the book and nowhere do they say that the blonde chick is supposed to be Bob's ex-wife. In fact the end of the movie pretty much states that he never was married in the first place. It was all just a fabrication as part of his "Fred" persona.

They show Bob playing with the blonde woman and children, in his house, in a flashback. During this time, the house and yard are well kept. It's the part of the movie that he also hits his head in the kitchen, puts his hand on the wound, then draws it back and see blood. He talks about how his life wasn't always like this, but his old life had to end and did. So it's strongly insinuated that Arctor remembers being married with children. She's even credited as Arctor's wife. Therefore, the blonde woman he sees is his hallucinating about his wife.

They address the issue in the FAQ on IMDB. It never says definitively in the movie whether his memories of being married were accurate, and if they were, what actually happened to them.

Is Birth of a Nation on DVD?

HalPhilipWalker fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jul 13, 2008

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Uh, I'm pretty sure the woman being credited as "Arctor's wife" would actually be Arctor's wife and not this other character.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

In Fargo, why is Prince credited as Victim in Field? It's clearly not him.

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

Yawgmoft posted:

This happened to me too. I remember this movie where this boy is in a museum, and there are these creepy statues, and he gets turned into a monster or something, and at some point they play the song monster mash.

That sounds exactly like the My Pet Monster live action movie.

Shalinor posted:

The gist of it was that the kid thought his family was completely normal, hits somewhere around puberty (12-ish I assume? We're talking roughly the age of the Little Monsters kid), and then he starts growing horns and - on my! - his family has a history of this. Or he was fated to become a demon, because his parents made a pact. Or something.

At this point, the movie gets bizarre, with actual demons walking around the house and... some kind of portal? Either the house ends up in the demon realm, or they find a door, or some other odd melding allows the kid to wander around some demon-ish realm at some point.

Mind that the demon realm isn't horror movie, we're talking... well, a lot like Little Monsters actually. That same kind of "this would be scary if the lighting weren't in pastels / bright colors" kind of demon.

Then cue 80's plot that I'm certain involved an upbeat musical number, and the kid is cured, and... something. I know they went the route of trying to cure the kid, but past that, I can't recall how it ended.

EDIT: and to the above guy that mentions the thing about statues and monsters, I can't say I remember exactly that, but... I'm almost tempted to say we're talking about the same movie. I want to say the one I'm thinking of had the typical upbeat musical number, that it was "Monster Mash," and that this was possibly the point where demons and such were wandering around the kid's house in cooky music-video-friendly fashion.

Did he also have a girlfriend who he had to tell his secret to? Was there also a scene in a school library where he starts transforming into the monster, and the girl has to hide him under a blanket, and then a bully comes to bug them and he scares them off with his demon-face?

I've seen the movie you are talking about a bunch of times, I just can't remember what it's called.

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

Tender Bender posted:

In Fargo, why is Prince credited as Victim in Field? It's clearly not him.

If you look closely, it's not actually Prince; it's just a symbol that looks a lot like it.

According to the IMDb:

quote:

Despite hints to the contrary at the time of the film's release and in the closing credits, Prince does not play the Victim in the Field; this is J. Todd Anderson, who was actually a storyboard artist on the film. This was yet another Coen Brothers in-joke, since Prince was a famous native of Minneapolis, Minnesota. To further muddle matters, this moment in the film was memorialized in a "Snow-Globe" promotion included with a special edition version of the DVD, subtly hinting that the dead victim in the snow was a famous cameo.
And, according to Snopes, here's the explanation - take with a grain of salt, as I can't find any evidence of this elsewhere, but it sounds right.

quote:

The Coen brothers like a good in-joke as much as anybody. Next time you view Fargo, look for the name of the actor who played "the man in the field." You'll discover the entry listed as an odd squiggle that looks very much like Prince's signature. (I'm told the fellow who actually filled that role was J. Todd Anderson, one of the Coen's storyboard artists. The squiggle is Prince's signature laid on its side with a smiley face added. Wonderful joke, that. Laid on its side because the character is lying dead in a field.)

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
At the end of 3:10 to Yuma why does Crowe's character shoot his own men? At first I thought it was obvious. But the more I think about it any reason I can come up with doesn't seem to make complete sense. I just wondered if there was an obvious reason I missed or it was supposed to be a little ambiguous

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005

HalPhilipWalker posted:

Is Birth of a Nation on DVD?

The D.W. Griffith film? The two "official" releases are from Kino and Image/Blackhawk Films. Kino has a small orchestra score by Jon Mirsalis, Image has a score by Eric Beheim. Both are based on the original Joseph Carl Breil score. The transfers are exactly the same, I think. However, Kino has a making-of (mostly a featurette on outtakes), extra Civil War shorts, and some other stuff like the 1930 sound re-release prologue. Image only has the making-of.

Anything else is either a pirate off Image's laserdisc of BOAN or from a crappy print.