Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

How do I get my hands on a screenplay? I really really want to see how Stephen Susco actually constructed Unfriended: Dark Web but he isn't on twitter so I have no idea how to actually be like, "hey loved your movie, can I get the screenplay?"

E:

SimonCat posted:

It's funny and a little petty.

Are there any other examples of this type of tit for tat in movies?
Not movies, but the Dead Rising video game (which opens with a shot of the "Now Entering Town, pop. 53,594" sign covered in blood) has the "Zombie Genocider" achievement... which Left 4 Dead spoofed in their game:

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jan 8, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
A quick Google makes it seem like it's not available online easily, but if you're anywhere near LA then the Academy's Margaret Herrick Library has it in their collection. Not sure what the process is like to read a screenplay there, though.

That or walk past one of those sketchy dudes with a table full of screenplays on the sidewalk in NYC or LA and ask them.

e: or look for :filez: where a lot of screenplays are available, including unproduced and upcoming ones.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jan 8, 2020

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Shrecknet posted:

How do I get my hands on a screenplay? I really really want to see how Stephen Susco actually constructed Unfriended: Dark Web but he isn't on twitter so I have no idea how to actually be like, "hey loved your movie, can I get the screenplay?"

E:
Not movies, but the Dead Rising video game (which opens with a shot of the "Now Entering Town, pop. 53,594" sign covered in blood) has the "Zombie Genocider" achievement... which Left 4 Dead spoofed in their game:

Kinda sorta related:
When Lynch and Frost were making Twin Peaks some network suit said that the town was too small to be relatable so they said "ok" and just added one (1) number to the population listed on the sign in the opening credits changing it from 5120 to 51.201 and changing literally nothing else.

Even then even 5120 feels a bit too large for the town as depicted in the first two seasons. I could buy the Twin Peaks of The Return having 51 thousand people in it but the original series feels more like it houses at most 2000 people.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jan 8, 2020

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

poo poo thought this was GenChat.

Retracted

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jan 8, 2020

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I come from a town of 8,000 people and while Twin Peaks felt a bit smaller, it's not by that much. So 5,000 seems about right to me.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

SimonCat posted:

So, the movie Orca came out in 1977 and was a rip off of Jaws. To show how dangerous the Orca is, the movie opens with an Orca killing a great white shark. Jaws 2 came out in 1978 and features a dead Orca that was killed by the film's great white shark.

It's funny and a little petty.

Are there any other examples of this type of tit for tat in movies?

In Torque the opening scene is a dig at The Fast & The Furious, where a guy on a crotch rocket blows past a couple of tuner cars, and then the street signs swirl around and say "gently caress Cars" or something like that.

In XXX the opening scene is Not James Bond who flees into a Rammstein concert and gets owned by a sniper because he's a total stiff who can't blend in with the rest of the concert goers.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Shrecknet posted:

E:

I haven't seen the film so I have no idea how legitimate it is, but typing "unfriended dark web script" into Google seems to work.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Human Tornada posted:

In Torque the opening scene is a dig at The Fast & The Furious, where a guy on a crotch rocket blows past a couple of tuner cars, and then the street signs swirl around and say "gently caress Cars" or something like that.

In XXX the opening scene is Not James Bond who flees into a Rammstein concert and gets owned by a sniper because he's a total stiff who can't blend in with the rest of the concert goers.
Its amazing. Love the traffic light. Love the big key. Love the mountain dew vs pepsi fight.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXyPAOJHncs

Human Tornada posted:

Dont forget the connecting scene between XXX and XXX2, where they killed off not vin diesel because of reasons between movies.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O48rLcHu2Yc

Cage fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jan 8, 2020

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Cage posted:

Dont forget the connecting scene between XXX and XXX2, where they killed off not vin diesel because of reasons between movies.

LOL twice in a row in the same franchise, with one aimed at it's own previous movie. I can't believe I forgot that one.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.

IMDb posted:

There's a ripped poster of The Hills Have Eyes (1977) visible. Ostensibly, this was in reference to a ripped poster for Jaws (1975) that appeared in that film; Sam Raimi and the others interpreted that as Wes Craven suggesting that "Hills" was much more frightening than "Jaws," thus they showed a ripped "Hills" poster because their film was to be even scarier yet. See also: The Hills Have Eyes Part II (1984), A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984).

Wes Craven responded with putting a scene from Evil Dead on a TV in the first Nightmare. Evil Dead 2 has Freddy's glove hanging up in the work shed. I think those interactions were more light-hearted than some of these, though.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Cage posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O48rLcHu2Yc

Didn't Vin Diesel come back for the third, how did that get reconciled

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

They completely ignored it because it was a weird web only promo no one actually cares about.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I think they say that Vin is dead in xXx2 but don't give any specifics other than it happened in Bora Bora.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
M. Night Shyamalan infamously puts in a character who is a pompous film critic in Lady in the Water who he then murders off. It's not really the most subtle thing.

I really need to get drunk and watch that dumpster fire again.

BrewingTea
Jun 2, 2004

In the film "Laserblast", the protagonist blows up a billboard with the words "Star Wars" on it. Not an ad for the film. Just a sign with the words.

As boasts go, it kinda made me sad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwTPExzfQbE

BrewingTea fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jan 9, 2020

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I remember Ebert blasting the first American Godzilla because there were Siskel and Ebert stand-ins and Emmerich didn't even have the decency to have them get killed by Godzilla.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

BrewingTea posted:

In the film "Laserblast", the protagonist blows up a billboard with the words "Star Wars" on it. Not an ad for the film. Just a sign with the words.

As boasts go, it kinda made me sad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwTPExzfQbE

Hey, Leonard Maltin gave it two and a half stars.

I love Laserblast, even without the MST3K treatment. I don't think I can quite articulate why, but something about that movie just does it right for me. I like the idea of the movie, but it needed a fair bit of polish, but somehow, it just clicks for me on some level. It's a weird sort of dopey charm.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

FreudianSlippers posted:

Before that pirate films were just expected to flop. Probably thanks to Cutthroat Island.

This is why that rumored AI that Warner Bros is using to help them decide what movies to make is going to be absolutely useless

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
What’s the first horror movie where you think the bad guy’s dead and he’s not. Alien was 1979, Halloween was 1978. Any earlier examples?

Parachute
May 18, 2003

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

there's a couple offhand remarks that he faked his own death. it was crucial to the xXx canon to clear this up.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Return of Xander Cage kicked rear end too. Very pleasantly surprised by that movie.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
it wasnt bad for a laundry-folding movie. hopefully tony jaa becomes the next xXx. this is a sentence i am saying in 2020

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Parachute posted:

it wasnt bad for a laundry-folding movie. hopefully tony jaa becomes the next xXx. this is a sentence i am saying in 2020

I've lost faith on Jaa. He hasn't done anything good for a really long time. Not that Triple Threat being mediocre can be blamed on him, but.....it was extremely disappointing.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Basebf555 posted:

I've lost faith on Jaa. He hasn't done anything good for a really long time. Not that Triple Threat being mediocre can be blamed on him, but.....it was extremely disappointing.

I liked SPL 2 / Kill Zone 2 a good bit

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

No, it's already been established that the only VS is Robocop VS Terminator.

Also, this is, without question, the best thing to come from T3, and it was a deleted scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kayFrIR-Qfw

Holy poo poo this owns and almost justifies the filming of t3

It's not within the same film, but Bride of Frankenstein and then Son of Frankenstein shoe how the monster escaped certain death at the climax of the previous film

got any sevens fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jan 9, 2020

Parachute
May 18, 2003
cutting that scene from t3 is one of the most offensive things in the entire franchise

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

The T2 laser-future is unquestionably rad in that film, but it's a product of its time—it's how 1991 imagined the future to be in all its stylistic excess. Had Salvation gone for that look in '09 it would have come across like a cartoon, so I totally understand why McG and the gang went for a more grounded, grey, bleak version of the future even if it wasn't as "cool." His version feels far more like a real-world war-torn environment, the sort that Americans had been seeing on the news in the Middle East since T2 came out. That being said, it almost entirely lacked in style and ended up being incredibly bland.

Gotta say, I though the production design in Salvation was pretty cool. Like the way the motorcycle Terminators evoke a humanoid rider merged into the machine:

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

feedmyleg posted:

The T2 laser-future is unquestionably rad in that film, but it's a product of its time—it's how 1991 imagined the future to be in all its stylistic excess. Had Salvation gone for that look in '09 it would have come across like a cartoon, so I totally understand why McG and the gang went for a more grounded, grey, bleak version of the future even if it wasn't as "cool." His version feels far more like a real-world war-torn environment, the sort that Americans had been seeing on the news in the Middle East since T2 came out. That being said, it almost entirely lacked in style and ended up being incredibly bland.

Please stop talkin poo poo about Skull Beach

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Sir Kodiak posted:

Gotta say, I though the production design in Salvation was pretty cool. Like the way the motorcycle Terminators evoke a humanoid rider merged into the machine:

This is turrible.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Which movie podcasts do people like to listen to? I already have Film Sack, The Rewatchables and the Now Playing Podcast in my feed but any other recommendations are welcome

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

How Did This Get Made.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Blank Check

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Skwirl posted:

How Did This Get Made.

Here, I'll give you a rundown of every HDTGM episode ever, then you won't have to listen to it.

Paul: Hello people of Largo.
*audience goes insane*
Jason: What's up jerks.
*audience goes insane*
Paul: This movie is bad.
Jason: Am I going crazy, or do I LOVE this movie?!
June: I hate this. I've seen over 5 moofies before, and I don't like them.
*audience goes insane*
Paul: Check out this Amazon review.
*audience goes insane*

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
HDTGM absolutely refuses to engage with the material and it's infuriating.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I'll admit the only HDTGM I've listened to was when they did Punisher: War Zone and had the director there.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I like me some Flophouse but if you can't tolerate Elliott, I would totally understand

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Which movie podcasts do people like to listen to? I already have Film Sack, The Rewatchables and the Now Playing Podcast in my feed but any other recommendations are welcome
Come listen to Blank Check, it's great. Other ones I like are The Treatment with Elvis Mitchell, the A24 Podcast, The Director's Cut - A DGA Podcast, and Black Men Can't Jump in Hollywood.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Skwirl posted:

I'll admit the only HDTGM I've listened to was when they did Punisher: War Zone and had the director there.

That and Crocodile Dundee were the only good ones.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Did they mention the weird transphobic scene

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
as far as podcasts go, i've been enjoying generation loss quite a bit. they're just nearing the ten episode mark and so far all of them have been quality.